Anyone in Townsville!!

Guest simonandwendy

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 140
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest girlwizz99
Hi Everyone

We are due to move to Townsville in January, I am coming over with work on a four year work visa. We have kids and looking for any advice in regards to schools and best locations to rent. Maybe evern meeting up with any brits for a coffee.

Be god to hear from anyone out there.

Lou & James

Castle Hill is very nice or North Ward. Everything is very sprawled out so you will need a vehicle immediately , it is also far too hot and humid to do any walking and if you do find yourself outside factor 30 immediately!! I have been burnt so many times in about 30 mins of being outside preoccupied. The better schools I have seen in Townsville, (I did a stint teaching here) are the Catholic ones - the State really are quite rough (apologies if I offend anyone) and the standards of achievement were extremely different between state and private. You might have to cross your fingers whilst meeting the Head if you are not a Catholic... For girls St Margaret Mary's College is very good with high levels of achievement and Ignatious Park for boys, I believe is one of the best.

Castle Hill is very nice or North Ward. Everything is very sprawled out so you will need a vehicle immediately , it is also far too hot and humid to do any walking and if you do find yourself outside factor 30 immediately!! I have been burnt so many times in about 30 mins of being outside preoccupied. The better schools I have seen in Townsville, (I did a stint teaching here) are the Catholic ones - the State really are quite rough (apologies if I offend anyone) and the standards of achievement were extremely different between state and private. You might have to cross your fingers whilst meeting the Head if you are not a Catholic... For girls St Margaret Mary's College is very good with high levels of achievement and Ignatious Park for boys, I believe is one of the best.

Thanks for the reply . We heard Plimico state was a good school ? Do you think so...

Our daughter has grown up on the isle of wight so is not used to schools too rough !!!

How much are the private schools ?

We ar coming in January and everypost has told us this is the hottest hardest time in Townsville !!

Any further help would be great .

Thanks and speak soon

James & Louise

Guest Janey66

Well we are moving to Townsville on the 18th of Sept. I am so scared! and excited and worried. Whole load of stuff going on inside this head. Just starting realise the emormity of it all. Anyway I will get my ass back on here when we get there and get to know a few people. I tend to be a lurker cause I'm a bit shy. :wideeyed:

Guest girlwizz99
Thanks for the reply . We heard Plimico state was a good school ? Do you think so...

Our daughter has grown up on the isle of wight so is not used to schools too rough !!!

How much are the private schools ?

We ar coming in January and everypost has told us this is the hottest hardest time in Townsville !!

Any further help would be great .

Thanks and speak soon

James & Louise

I don't know Pimlico School - worth trying. She could always move if there are problems. I thought St Margaret Mary's was 10k per school year (AUD) but I am not certain and if you profess to be a good Catholic you can get reductions... January is probably the worst time of year to arrive - a real baptism by fire. By then it will probably be incredibly humid and/or extremely rainy. The nicest time of the year is winter - May to Oct where it is sunny but with cooler air and no humidity. Make sure you have an air conned house ready and a sturdy umbrella and don't be put off as it will get much nicer...

I don't know Pimlico School - worth trying. She could always move if there are problems. I thought St Margaret Mary's was 10k per school year (AUD) but I am not certain and if you profess to be a good Catholic you can get reductions... January is probably the worst time of year to arrive - a real baptism by fire. By then it will probably be incredibly humid and/or extremely rainy. The nicest time of the year is winter - May to Oct where it is sunny but with cooler air and no humidity. Make sure you have an air conned house ready and a sturdy umbrella and don't be put off as it will get much nicer...

Thanks for your help. Everyone tells me january is a hot month !!!! Will have to take our chances. We have family in Townsville so hopefully they will help us as well. Did you rent somewhere before you got to townsville or when you arrived ? who are the best companies to rent from ?

Stay in touch and speak soon

Regards

Guest girlwizz99
Thanks for your help. Everyone tells me january is a hot month !!!! Will have to take our chances. We have family in Townsville so hopefully they will help us as well. Did you rent somewhere before you got to townsville or when you arrived ? who are the best companies to rent from ?

Stay in touch and speak soon

Regards

Try Real Estate & Property For Rent in Townsville, QLD 4810 (Page 1) - realestate.com.au - all the estate agents contribute their properties to this nationwide site - actually very good. We sailed over here on our yacht so I didn't have the same issue with renting a property quickly but I did rent on on Maggie island for a while last year and it was easy - there was no competition - there seems to be so much property around for a long long time so you shouldn't have any problem. Also, haggle on price - the flat we rented was on for 550 per week and we ended up squeezing them to 395! I think it is the same story for Townsville - property doesn't move quickly and it is well worth while offering way below the asking price.

• 2 weeks later...

hello, looked through this thread and there is some interesting stuff. had a job offer for townsville hospital [im a nurse] subject to references. do i book flights before offical offer? is end of october too soon in terms of packing up and moving?

we have three older children [aged 16, 16 and 13] all in high school years 8 and 11. have some accomodation with my job [phew] but some advice needed about good state high schools and areas to live? and are there any meet ups for coffee and cake? live in gloucestershire. i warbling. need to lie down!!! LOL:laugh:

applied for a 157 visa in feb, medicals april, granted in july, job offer sept

Hi , not sure on answers to your question. i have the job offer too , but waiting for the visa. i would wait untill you have the visa to book .

When we get there we are more than happy to meet up for a coffee or beer ! We have two daughters 13 and 14 weeks !

speak soon

• 2 weeks later...

Hi, im moving with my husband and 15 month old to Townsville in December, i will be 28 weeks pregnant and am hoping someone can give me some advice on an good obs and the hospitals up there. We are moving from Sydney as my airforce husband has been posted there. I am from Essex and have been living in Sydney for 6 years. Thanks for your help in adavnce.

• 3 weeks later...
Guest Bluekim

Hi Joan,

Hope you arrived in Townsville OK

If you'd like to meet up for a coffee and a chat about life in Townsville, send me a message. I have been in TV since August 2009 and have experienced what life is like and how to book into Queensland.

Kim.

Guest Bluekim
hello, looked through this thread and there is some interesting stuff. had a job offer for townsville hospital [im a nurse] subject to references. do i book flights before offical offer? is end of october too soon in terms of packing up and moving?

we have three older children [aged 16, 16 and 13] all in high school years 8 and 11. have some accomodation with my job [phew] but some advice needed about good state high schools and areas to live? and are there any meet ups for coffee and cake? live in gloucestershire. i warbling. need to lie down!!! LOL:laugh:

applied for a 157 visa in feb, medicals april, granted in july, job offer sept

Hi there,

I moved to Townsville in August 2009 from Stirling, Scotland. I have three children, tow boys 16 and 14 and a little girl aged 4.

We live in an area called Kalynda Chase, which is close to Kirwan (Townsville) both our boys attend Kirwan High School which is state run High School and we love it. They are both doing really well and have made some really great friends. It is a large school - over 2000 pupils but they have so many resources and have won loads of awards. I tell my boys that they have so many people to chose who to be friends with, its amazing. They run a school bus from Kalynda Chase which costs $5 a year!

Kalynda Chase is a very nice place to live - it has been described to us as resort living. It have a village feel to it. It is located about 5 minutes drive to a big indoor shopping mall which has everything you may need. (please remember that this is Australia and not America - they are not into possession and the shopping is a little different from the UK)

My 16 year old son has just got a part time job at McDonalds.

The children love it here.

We are about 15 minutes drive to the hospital around the ring road which is currently being upgraded.

We are 20 minutes drive to the Strand but to be honest in Kirwan they have the Riverway facility which is a huge free pool complex with an amazing riverway walk.

It is stunning here and I hope that you decide to make the move.

Get in touch and let me know if I can help any more.

Kim.:cute:

• 5 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Hi we are due to move out to Towsville in Feb with our two daughters 13 and 7 months.

We need to find a school for our 13 year old. any advice?

Also what are good areas to live ?

be good to hear from anyone who has done the move for advice

Thanks

Lou & James

Hi we are due to move out to Towsville in Feb with our two daughters 13 and 7 months.

We need to find a school for our 13 year old. any advice?

Also what are good areas to live ?

be good to hear from anyone who has done the move for advice

Thanks

Lou & James

Hi Lou and James

I am also moving to Townsville early Feb with my 14year old and OH. Am runnig around now doing the final preps as time flies so quickly. I will be working at the Mater Hosp in Pimlico, how abt u?

Hey Lou & James

You'll be coming at a better time of year, it's stifling hot just now the humidity is a killer :arghh: Have you been to Townsville before? I can't help you with schools, as we don't have kids yet.

As for good areas to live you can look at Annandale, Douglas, newer suburbs like North Shore, North Ward, Fairfield Waters, Cranbrook (some parts are nice) Bushland Beach is meant to be nice and is expanding at the moment, although some parts are prone to flooding. Hope this helps a bit.

Joan

:wubclub:

Yes same here , running around doing everything. still trying to rent the house but confident that will happen in the new year ( fingers crossed) i am transfering with work to work as a recruitment consultant for Hays, in the construction industry. hectic at the mo but getting there....

Hi bowdonius, I've just learned that you're going to move to Townsville -nice place to live- and work there for Hays. Well, I'm in the middle of applying for 475 SS from QLD and, if positive, to move my family to Townsville too. I'm a ANZSCO 2335-12 Mechanical Engineer and have been working for the last 6+ years in construction business. I need to prove to the QLD government that there are some jobs in or around Townsville where, when there, I could apply to (even FIFOs).

Could you help with some info ? Please feel free to e-mail me, if you want to.

Hisugervalentine

Im due to ove out in february and can help you then., Im not 100% sure on the australia market as yet. look at www.hays.com/au for available jobs. Also call Ged welsh on the townsville number he will give you some advice. From my experience there is ahuge shortish of mechanical engineers so think it will be the same in oz

email me for further details on james.bowden@hays.com

• 2 months later...
Guest Irvingsago

Hi folks I moved to Townsville in December 2010 and although I hated it at first I have to say I really like it now. We stayed in a unit near the strand when we arrived & loved being able to get out & about in the evenings with the kids. We now live in Fairfield waters which is great for us as near my sons school which is best state school in Townsville (Pimlico). Also handy for my husbands work in city & for hospital for me. The hospital is really big & there is no problem getting work there if you're a nurse, however nurses beware nursing is much different in OZ. I've been told the Townsville people dont bother making friends with 'outsiders' as its a transient city where many people come & go. However we've made some friends with colleagues and the pay is far better than UK. Very hot & humid but winter supposed to be really nice & we cant wait for it. Any further info please PM me and I'll get back to you. Life is good:jiggy:

Hi folks I moved to Townsville in December 2010 and although I hated it at first I have to say I really like it now. We stayed in a unit near the strand when we arrived & loved being able to get out & about in the evenings with the kids. We now live in Fairfield waters which is great for us as near my sons school which is best state school in Townsville (Pimlico). Also handy for my husbands work in city & for hospital for me. The hospital is really big & there is no problem getting work there if you're a nurse, however nurses beware nursing is much different in OZ. I've been told the Townsville people dont bother making friends with 'outsiders' as its a transient city where many people come & go. However we've made some friends with colleagues and the pay is far better than UK. Very hot & humid but winter supposed to be really nice & we cant wait for it. Any further info please PM me and I'll get back to you. Life is good:jiggy:

Hi , thanks for post, we are moving out in June now , have everything sorted just waiting untill june to move. Your post in refreashing although we do have family in townsville, we where a little worried about things. I notice you managed to get your son into pimlico , we have been told its the best and wondered how easy it was for you to get him in..? ill be working in the CBD so this area would be good for me too.

Any help would be great

The Bowdens

Guest Irvingsago

Hi I was told by the receptionist & our British neighbours that we wouldn't get him into Pimlico so I wasn't really expecting it. They have set criteria for selecting pupils, living in the catchment is the priority although we're outside! A sibling at the school, particular interest in arts such as music or drama, or academic excellence. I think it helped my son went into year 9 which wasn't full at enrolment. You have to go and meet the principle & as he was doing well at Maths he was accepted on that basis. I've seen loads of kids around other suburbs not in catchment so it'll have a lot to do with how well they're performing or a special musical interest. As a whole we're really enjoying Townsville & to me its what coming to Australia is all about, the sunshine & relaxed lifestyle. If you've got family here that'll be great for you as we don't but we still have no intention of returning to Blighty even for a holiday any time soon. I've met many Australians who've moved here for the life too so it must be doing something right. Even though I'm working less & its expensive we seem to have more disposable income here, and a house with a pool. We've not done too much exploring yet as have been settling in but we're starting to book our trips & arrange weekends up to rainforest which isn't far away. If I can help you in any way with info just let me know

Hi , thanks for post, we are moving out in June now , have everything sorted just waiting untill june to move. Your post in refreashing although we do have family in townsville, we where a little worried about things. I notice you managed to get your son into pimlico , we have been told its the best and wondered how easy it was for you to get him in..? ill be working in the CBD so this area would be good for me too.

Any help would be great

The Bowdens

Sorry to hear that you postponed your move to Townsville. I received at last the Qld SS and am going to send the docs for our visa the following days. Anyway, you'll be there sooner than us, so I imagine you can't wait the moment.

Hi I was told by the receptionist & our British neighbours that we wouldn't get him into Pimlico so I wasn't really expecting it. They have set criteria for selecting pupils, living in the catchment is the priority although we're outside! A sibling at the school, particular interest in arts such as music or drama, or academic excellence. I think it helped my son went into year 9 which wasn't full at enrolment. You have to go and meet the principle & as he was doing well at Maths he was accepted on that basis. I've seen loads of kids around other suburbs not in catchment so it'll have a lot to do with how well they're performing or a special musical interest. As a whole we're really enjoying Townsville & to me its what coming to Australia is all about, the sunshine & relaxed lifestyle. If you've got family here that'll be great for you as we don't but we still have no intention of returning to Blighty even for a holiday any time soon. I've met many Australians who've moved here for the life too so it must be doing something right. Even though I'm working less & its expensive we seem to have more disposable income here, and a house with a pool. We've not done too much exploring yet as have been settling in but we're starting to book our trips & arrange weekends up to rainforest which isn't far away. If I can help you in any way with info just let me know

I'm glad that you are so happy with your new life there, but why do you say that's expensive? I mean some examples would be helpful for me (hopefully we'll be there in Oct-Dec this year).

Thanks

Archived