Anyone in Townsville!!

Guest simonandwendy

Hi

I ahave just been offered a job as a new grad nurse in psychy and we will fingers crossed will be out in jan 2010. I have a hubby and 2 kids who keep changing thier mind about whether they want to come out they are age 12 and 6 at the moment.

Just gota finish the exam in 4 weeks medicals visa police check sell the house oh gosh there is sooooo much to do.:arghh:

• 3 weeks later...
  • Replies 140
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest maddie666

Hi

Nice to see some many other Brits living in Townsville - I am Maddie, moving from Darwin to Townsville via UK arrive 16th June 09. I have a toddler son and am hoping to remember what life was like in the hot! I am sick of shrinking all my clothes in the tumble dryer and can't even remember the last time I saw my toes as I permenetly have socks on. Both my hubby and me come from the same area in South London and have now ordered our furniture down from Darwin complete with my hubby's pride and joy - his BBQ! More salad making for me.....

I read some posts and hope people are friendly and would love to meet up with you guys - also hopefully I will be bearing treats I manage to smuggle in (that's a joke!!) but hope to talk soon

Maddie

x

Guest simonandwendy

Hi, we are indeed a friendly lot, try and get together once a month or so. Nicola (0ne of our gang)is also from Darwin (husband in forces here) so you should have lots in common! anyway shout again when your actually here and we can arrange coffee on the Strand!

Guest angelanjames

Hi All

Im also a forces wife and arriving in Townsville on 10th of July!

Very excited now it all seems real.

However not looking forward to the flight with an energetic one year old. If anyone has any tips or advice would be apprectiated... have already considered sedatives lol

A

x

• 2 weeks later...
Guest gjt1975

Hi everyone,

I'm another forces wife lol, We should be coming out feb/march 2010 although at the moment we're not sure whether we'll be in townsville, melbourne or brisbane.

Would love to hear any info anyone has on townsville, would be nice to have a heads up.

• 1 month later...
Guest maddie666

Hi

Its maddie here - finally arrived in Townsville two weeks ago - renting house in Annadale - furiture still not arrived from Darwin so living on a sofa, eating from one frying pan and luckily hubby got a TV from work - so bit like student days all over again!!! Was back on the UK for 18 months so have no idea what we kept but do remember I had my Jamie Oliver saucepans - something to look forward to!

Car not arrvied yet so not been out and about much - Would love to meet up sometime and have a huge bag of PG Tips I mananged to get through Customs

I am not working as have a toddler son who wants to go to the beach all day - only idiots on there wearing shorts!

Sure will be hounding you all with questions- should be getting internet at home on Monday after they have finally come and put our home phone on - you know Australia - nothing is ever a rush...... something to get used to all over again!!!

Be nice to hear from you

Madeleine

Guest TriciaRobertson

Hi Maddy. I have been in Townsville for 4 weeks now and although I work I would like to meet up for a coffee. i am staying in Douglas at the moment. I haven't met the other girls as yet as I have only recently got internet access.

Guest taybir

Hi Tricia - there are a few of us meeting up at Cactus Jacks on Tue for their cheap chilli night and to catch up - you are more than welcome to join us. Send a pm if you are interested and i will give you mobile number etc. Tracy

• 5 weeks later...
Guest 1010ozzy

Hi

finaly arrivd in Townsville, been here 11 days, if there are any meet ups planned please include us would love to meet any fellow poms and get the low down on Townsville.

Dawn and Nigel x:spinny:

• 1 month later...
Guest emmahardy214

Hi my name is Emma Hardy and I am starting the nurse grad programme at townsville hospital march 10. my oh and my 5 year old and i are hoping to make the move over in feb. we can't wait. we are going to rent and have been looking at the resort type units as they are all furnished. we aren't bringing much with us! does any one think this is a good idea or are we better getting a house? I have an estate agent who e mails every week but it's hard when you are the other side of the world! just waiting for my nursing pin before i can register in queensland, then english test on 7th of nov! then Visa then out of here hopefully!! has anyone else come over on a 457 visa? how does it take?

regards

emma

• 2 weeks later...

Hello all.........moved from Yorkshire to Rockhampton to Brisbane to now Townsville!!!!! phew. I am assured this is the last time my husband is to be re-located. I have read your thread and would love to meet up with english folk! if possible. I had a babe while i was here who is now 6 months old love her. Let me know if you guys are catching up anytime soon. :0)

Guest 1010ozzy
Hello all.........moved from Yorkshire to Rockhampton to Brisbane to now Townsville!!!!! phew. I am assured this is the last time my husband is to be re-located. I have read your thread and would love to meet up with english folk! if possible. I had a babe while i was here who is now 6 months old love her. Let me know if you guys are catching up anytime soon. :0)

Hi

I have been here for 9 weeks now and begining to settle, I have a job working as a Nurses assistant at the Mater Hospital on a casual basis, my husband is working 3 days aweek he is a mechanical engineer, we have older children, 17 and 19.

If you wanted to meet for a coffee and a chat that would be good, PM me with a contact number we can get in touch

Dawn and Nigel

• 2 months later...
Guest The Ropey HOFF
Hi

I have been here for 9 weeks now and begining to settle, I have a job working as a Nurses assistant at the Mater Hospital on a casual basis, my husband is working 3 days aweek he is a mechanical engineer, we have older children, 17 and 19.

If you wanted to meet for a coffee and a chat that would be good, PM me with a contact number we can get in touch

Dawn and Nigel

Hi, my husband has just applied for a prison officers job at the prisons in Townsville and i am a medical nurse hoping to work a couple of nights a week, do they employ any bank nurses. What is it like at the Mater, there have been some negative posts previously. Are your kids settling in and is there plenty for them to do is the night life ok. Have you heard anything about the prisons as there been any problems there. Also how are you finding the weather, is it too hot, or are you all coping well. If possible could anyone on this thread give more details of how good life is in Townsville, it looks really great, is it as good as it looks,

thanks helen

Guest The Ropey HOFF
Hi Helen

Will they accept an application from hubby even though you have not got PR yet?

JOHN

Hi John,

we got our visa through at the end of last month i think if you have your visa through they are more interested in you because they know you can just come out and do the job they are advertising.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
Guest TheCunninghams

Hi,

We are looking to move to Townsville in December this year from Brisbane, but previously spent two years in Darwin. I would love to find out your thoughts on how Townsville compares to Darwin (weather, place, facilities and friendliness) and also any info on schools we should look at in Townsville, particularly south of the city.

• 4 weeks later...

Looking for friends....! I'm originally from the UK but been in Oz for 5 years (Sydney), have just moved upto Townsville and am struggling to meet people. Its just me and the animals, no hubby or kids (yet!). If there is anyone still out there I'd love to here from you..... :hug:

Please tell me what's it like? We used to live in Sydney. My husband is Irish, but we have been in Australia a long time. We have been farming in NSW for 7 years and have been considering moving to Townsville, not to farm, but to live on a lifestyle property. I would love to hear your comments.

I like it up here, its lovely being so close to the beautiful beaches. I like the size of the town as its just big enough for the things you need (way too many shopping centres though!) but small enough to get across quite quickly. I have found the people really friendly after coming from Sydney. The weather is supposed to be great, just avoid summer, but no where is perfect all the time! Just a lack of friends is my only problem with the place....

Guest emmahardy214

hi we are moving to townsville end of feb as soon as visa comes through. i am a staff nurse, starting the graduate programme at the hospital. we cant wait now! are there any nurses from townsville on here?

Guest 1010ozzy

Hi

we have been in Townsville since August 2009, I am not sure about nurses in Townnsville on here but I am working as an AIN (assistant nurse, they don't say health care assistant over here!)

at the Mater Townsville.

I would think you are going to work at the Townsville General, you dont say in your post.

There are alot of English nurses over here so you will soon meet some.

if there is any info we can help you with just ask.

Where abouts are you moving from?

Best of luck with everything

Dawn and Nigel

Guest angiem75

Hi All

I'm an English Nurse, hoping to make the move to Townsville in March this year. With my Husband and teenage daughter.

I have been sponsored by The Mater Hospital and should be working in the Orthopaedic ward. I'm getting very nervous now, just waiting for my medical to be finalised!! Then hopefully visa will be granted.

Would love to meet up with people when we get there, as we dont know anyone in Queensland, got family in Perth.

I might see you at work Dawn lol :biggrin:

Angie

Guest 1010ozzy

Hi

you will be fine on Orthopaedic, it is nicknamed "Little Britain" as there are so many British nurses on that level.

There are alot of british nurses over here so you will soon settle and everyone at the mater has been so friendly.

I am hoping to be taken on, on a permanant basis at some point and I think it will be Ortho if anywhere as jackie who runs it, is British and keen to do team nursing and see's AIN's as a part of that, so who knows you might not only see me we might end up working together. At the moment being casual I go wherever needed, so do some shifts on Ortho.

Townsville is a friendly place and lots going on, there is also alot of free entertainment, and public swimming pools are free to use as well.

Give us a shout if we can help with any info or if when you are here if you would like to meet up.

Dawn and Nigel

Archived