Anyone in Townsville!!

Guest simonandwendy

Guest simonandwendy

Hi, m husband and I moved to Townsville in October and we would love to know if there are any other Brits living in or around Townsville area? We are finding it harder than expected to settle and make friends (trust me we are not odd!!) and wondered if anyone had any ideas???

• Replies 140
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest 1010ozzy

Hi

cant help you at the moment but my husband and I and our 18yr old daughter will be arriving in Townsville in August 09, would love a meet up then.

I am sure there will be someone along who is already there as there was a post awhile back about a meet up in Townsville.

All the best and hope you make some friends soon.

Oh how are you coping with the heat and humidity?

Dawn and Nigel:smile:

Guest simonandwendy

thanks, hopefully by then we will have found some likely candidates for mates!! It will be good to meet up when you arrive, it would have made all the difference to us to have someone who knew their way round.

The heat and humidity are pretty difficult, you just need to remember not to try and do too much in the really hot months, just struggle from air con to air con and thats about it! You will also sleep much more in summer as it is really exhausting.

I see you are from Taunton, we moved here from Mudford (just outside Yeovil!!) small world..............................

Anyway keep in touch and we will do out best to suss out all the pitfalls and good bits for you in August.

Wendy

Hi

cant help you at the moment but my husband and I and our 18yr old daughter will be arriving in Townsville in August 09, would love a meet up then.

I am sure there will be someone along who is already there as there was a post awhile back about a meet up in Townsville.

All the best and hope you make some friends soon.

Oh how are you coping with the heat and humidity?

Dawn and Nigel:smile:

Guest Jackie Roberts

Hi,

I am hoping to move to Townsville in either May or June, ( depending on whether the house rents out) with hubby and two kids of 10 and 12.Please keep us updated it would be lovely to see how you are getting on.You will have to keep yourself coolish by swimming in the lagoon on the strand, although the water will probably be luke warm !! Take care and Happy New Year

Jackie.

Guest simonandwendy

Hi, thanks for reply, am begining to think we live in ghost town!! seems all the Brits are in Brisbane.

Anyway good luck with the move and if theres any advice you need then drop us a line. We will check the website reasonably often and hope to have made a few more homegrown contacts in Townsville by middle of 2009!!

• 1 month later...

Hi there. We moved over from Scotland, had 6 months in Brisbane before OH got job up here - really don't like it much as nobody seems to want to talk!?! Nice house but very lonely family at the mo!! Tracy

Guest simonandwendy

I agree, I thought people would be more friendly than they are and we are even thinking of moving further South at the end of the year just to get ourselves more of a social life! I hear that Molly Malones does an Irish night on the first Friday of the month which can be a bit of an expat meeting up sometimes so we are going to try that soon. I guess the worst bit for me is not having anyone to meet up with for coffee and a chat or even a moan sometimes about the different way of life!!

We live up in North Ward, where do you live? Am looking forward to the cooler weather after March as the humidity is really killing.

Anyway good to hear there are other ex pats out there, apparently 3000 or so in Townsville area but dont know where they are hiding!!!!

I agree, I thought people would be more friendly than they are and we are even thinking of moving further South at the end of the year just to get ourselves more of a social life! I hear that Molly Malones does an Irish night on the first Friday of the month which can be a bit of an expat meeting up sometimes so we are going to try that soon. I guess the worst bit for me is not having anyone to meet up with for coffee and a chat or even a moan sometimes about the different way of life!!

We live up in North Ward, where do you live? Am looking forward to the cooler weather after March as the humidity is really killing.

Anyway good to hear there are other ex pats out there, apparently 3000 or so in Townsville area but dont know where they are hiding!!!!

They were def a friendlier bunch down the road - can't wait till we get our permanent residency and can then hopefully get back down that way. My OH is on a sponsorship at the moment and we can't do anything till PR comes through! I'm not working at the moment although applied for several jobs - if you're free during the day for a coffee then it would be great to meet up as the house is so quiet now the little one has started school. We live at Bushland Beach. Tracy

• 2 weeks later...
They were def a friendlier bunch down the road - can't wait till we get our permanent residency and can then hopefully get back down that way. My OH is on a sponsorship at the moment and we can't do anything till PR comes through! I'm not working at the moment although applied for several jobs - if you're free during the day for a coffee then it would be great to meet up as the house is so quiet now the little one has started school. We live at Bushland Beach. Tracy

Hi,

We recently moved from Darwin to Townsville in December. My hubby is working, I have applied for lots of jobs and still waiting to hear. Have not met anyone yet so if you guys are meeting up I would love to meet up with you.

I am from Aberdeen originally and my Husband is orignally from Paisley :-)

We live at Kirwan.

:-)

Guest simonandwendy

would love to meet for coffee some time! sorry took so long to reply have been away in Adelaide for few days and then got back to these awful floods. I work during the week but have Fridays off so if your free during the day then let me know and we could organise to get together.

Wendy

Hi!

We have just moved to Townsville also and would be happy to meet up with some fellow Brits.

Im about in the day also for coffee as I have a little one, so not looking for a job yet. Dont know what to make of Townsville yet, looking forward to cooler weather though. It takes me so long to get anything done.

Look forward to hearing from anyone.

Hi!

We have just moved to Townsville also and would be happy to meet up with some fellow Brits.

Im about in the day also for coffee as I have a little one, so not looking for a job yet. Dont know what to make of Townsville yet, looking forward to cooler weather though. It takes me so long to get anything done.

Look forward to hearing from anyone.

Hi there. Would be great to meet you - Friday seems to be the best day for Wendy on here but any day suits me so if you want to meet up before then let me know. Where are you from originally and where are you staying in Townsville? How old is your little one? Tracy

I'm in Hyde Park. Been here since October. From Manchester.

Work Mon to Fri but if any weekend get togethers are planned let me know

By the way there is a modern jive night starting at the PCYC Wellington Street, Aitkenvale on Sunday 22nd March 5.15pm. Good way to meet people!

I'll be there, unfortunately on the stage!

• 1 month later...
Guest TriciaRobertson

Hi. Afte reading your chat I thought that I would say hello. We are coming to Townsville on the 8th June 2009 and will not know anyone. We are from Fife in Scotland and would like any advice to help ease our way into our new life. My husband Grig, son Scott (13) and myself will have 2 months accomadation prior to privately renting. I have a job in Townsville Hospital. I like coffee too!!

Guest simonandwendy

Our little band of Brits is expanding rapidly! All new members welcome to join the coffee club!! I work at hospital too, are you a nurse?

You will be arriving at best time of year for the weather and should be able to acclimatise a bit before the summer heat returns.

Keep in touch, its made a lot of difference to all of us to have some mates to catch up with.

Wendy

• 3 weeks later...
Guest Angela Barker

Hi everybody my name is Angie and my husband Andy and son Alex 14 are hopeing to move to Townsville very soon. Im a nurse who as a job in townsville (ICU) just waiting for our medicals. We are coming out on a 457 visa. Been told visa comes through pretty quick once you have had your medicals?? Love to meet up and meet knew friends. Angie

Guest simonandwendy

Im a nurse too at Townsville Hospital, we have now formed a group of five Poms who meet regularly for coffee etc and are always happy to add in any new arrivals - we all remember how hard it is at first when you are missing home and dont know anyone, but things do settle down once youstart to meet people. Let us know when you have a date for arrival and we can sort out coffee. All the girls are meeting up tonight for a film and a drink, and we are all off camping to Cairns for Easter weekend so all in all a nice sociable group!

good luck with final plans! where are you from in England? We have people from Scotland, South West and London in our band of Brits!

Guest TriciaRobertson

Hi, Like you I am a nurse and have a job in Townsville Hospital in A&E, been working in ICU for 18 years but thought I would like a change. We are going over on a 475 visa. I also have a son who will be 14 in September. My husband Greig, son Scott and I fly out to Townsville on the 8th June 2009. We currently live in Fife in Scotland so it will be a big change. Just organising our movers etc at the moment.

Guest burnsb

Hi we're moving to queensland in july is there any work where you are for cnc machinist or boilermaker we were thinking of moving to Townsville among other regions what do you think of it.

Bernadette

Guest 1010ozzy

:spinny:Hi

we arrive the 6th August so will look forward to joining you all for a coffee and get the low down on whats what in and around Townsville

See you all soon

dawn and nigel

Archived