Any South Africans moving from UK to OZ???

Guest Alpha

Guest MongooseB

Hi Neil,

My hubby has an interview on 5th Aug with Oz company. REALLY hoping he gets offered a position as he is 45 in Dec. Failing that, we plan to apply for Visas on our own steam but fear we've left it too late. That said, we are both very positive about the job, it's all gone really well so far.

Anyway, as long as you keep your dream alive you'll get there.

Guest MongooseB

Is there anyone who has been interviewed by ARG for a Mechanical Fitter role recently? We would really appreciate any advice regarding the interview.

Also trying to find out how many positions ARG REALLY has, although we are aware they are a growing company and recruitment is ongoing.

Any advice or tips would be very much appreciated. My OH has an interview on 5th Aug.

Guest cantwaittogo

Hi...

I am from SA - have been living in UK now for 5 years. Have 2 sons 9 & 3 and am desparate to bring them up outside and in the sun like we know. Have just started the application - I am a nurse - got my IELTS test on Thursday - so hopefully gonna move forward from there... we are looking at going to Perth - we have lots of SA friends there.

Tina

Guest Mrs Nix

Hello!!

We are from South Africa too! I am from Johannesburg, and my husband from Durban and then Johannesburg. We have been here 10 years, minus one year when we went back to get married - couldn't get back to the UK fast enough!! Although we LOVE living in the UK, we are missing the fun stuff we did in SA as youngsters - lots of camping, Hiking, water sports - without having to negotiate the weather! My Parents are in Sydney, as well as my older sister, all my cousins on my Dads side, with their respective parents. Alot of school friends have already made the move out and as well as the South African friends I have met here in Surrey.

The move for us is a "no-brainer'

I am flying out with my kids Taylor(6) and Jake (3) (well he will be 3 when we fly) at the end of September and my husband will follow once the house is sorted - one way or the other.

Good luck on all your moves!! I think us saffers need the sunshine to survive sometimes (IMO)

Hi,

I am British but my OH is from South Africa. He was in Cape Town as a young child, then in Durban. He's been in the UK now for about 16 yrs and although goes back every year, and sometimes it has been 2 or 3 times a year, he'd not want to live there, but does miss the weather. So, we've finally decided that we'll give Brisbane a go. We've been over to visit my sister who is there and loved it. His family would still love for him to move back there, but neither of us is too keen. It does have some advantages for us, but many disadvantages. Australia looks like a much better option for us.

We're hoping to be out there around Oct/Nov depending on the house sale. We may end up having a trip to SA to visit family enroute, but this depends on the timing of the house sale.

Shaz

• 10 months later...

Hi All

We are SA's living in UK (4 yrs now), trying to get to OZ. Prospect of Job offer in Oz on the cards, should know very soon... Hubbie was born in the UK but grew up in SA where I was born and where we met. Have 3 kids, hate to see them stuck indoors half the time. Need the sunshine back desperately.

Hi All

We are SA's living in UK (4 yrs now), trying to get to OZ. Prospect of Job offer in Oz on the cards, should know very soon... Hubbie was born in the UK but grew up in SA where I was born and where we met. Have 3 kids, hate to see them stuck indoors half the time. Need the sunshine back desperately.

Wish you all the best. We validated in april so just waiting on house sale to be off. Also can't wait as have a 2yr old son and he hates being in the house so he will hopefully love it..

Guest MissBehaving

Hi all

We are South Africans (I am from Durban and OH is from near PMB). We have lived in the UK for eight years and are heading to Mackay when the Visas come through and the house is sold.

For us it is job stability and missing the way we were brought up. We want our kids to experience the warm weather, bare feet and braai's that we took for granted growing up.

My parents live in the UK and OH are still in SA so for the forseeable future our holidays will be split between here and the Drakensberg! :cool:

Glad to hear we're not mad to want to emigrate again... Yes bare feet and braai's, can't wait for it all again. I have a teenage daughter who's not to keen on the idea of leaving her friends again, but I'm sure she'll thank us one day!

Accepted the job offer today, so now it's all going to start... Happy days!!

Guest MongooseB
Glad to hear we're not mad to want to emigrate again... Yes bare feet and braai's, can't wait for it all again. I have a teenage daughter who's not to keen on the idea of leaving her friends again, but I'm sure she'll thank us one day!

Accepted the job offer today, so now it's all going to start... Happy days!!

Hi,

Congrats on the job offer! May I ask, are you going on a 457 visa? We are desperately trying to find a 457 sponsorship, so would appreciate any tips/advice on offer.

Regards

Hi, yes it will be a 457 visa... We've waited a year for this job offer, wish I could help but we've been lucky in having friends in Oz who have helped us, have no idea how you go about getting an employer sponsorship otherwise. Good luck and keep trying!

Guest MongooseB
Hi, yes it will be a 457 visa... We've waited a year for this job offer, wish I could help but we've been lucky in having friends in Oz who have helped us, have no idea how you go about getting an employer sponsorship otherwise. Good luck and keep trying!

Ah, the familiar "YEAR LONG WAIT"! We too have been waiting a year on a company who keep on promising "to be in contact very soon", but here we are, still waiting!

Thanks all the same and good luck with your move. I don't suppose the Co is ARG by any chance?

Hi, I have been in the UK for 14 years now and hubby 10. Cannot believe I am going to sunshine, beach and braai country. Feels like I'm escaping jail. Uk was good in its own way, but I still struggle to make pommy friends. They are great people, but the culture is just so different and I think they think I'm an alien.

We are heading for Adelaide before the end of the year whoo whoo!!!

Hi Boesman... Yip we have battled to make friends, so I understand what you are saying. Enjoy Adelaide we're off to WA!!

Hey MongooseB the co is not ARG... Don't give up everything happens for a reason...

Cannot believe I am going to sunshine, beach and braai country.:confused:

Unfortunately a lot of the year it is is a Fraai (Fry) country, this gas braai story is against my principles. Honestly just because of a few bush fires, small price to pay:biglaugh:

Guest MissBehaving
Unfortunately a lot of the year it is is a Fraai (Fry) country, this gas braai story is against my principles. Honestly just because of a few bush fires, small price to pay:biglaugh:

Yeah we heard that too.... OH is gutted. He is a charcoal man through and through!!!

Guest MongooseB

Hey AJW - who knows, we could just meet up in WA oneday too, hopefully in the not too distant future.

We've lived here for another 3 years (first time round was 5 years in England) and have not made any friends. This is a culture shock of note, a country you're either born in and love, or mad enough to live in! One way or another, we hope to be in Oz before the next snowflake graces us with its presence!

• 3 months later...
Guest Kepplerusa

Hey howzit ekse, I will be moving to Oz in the near future so joined this site to gather info.

I was born in Durban and lived in the Drakensberg (Kwahlamba as the Zulus call it) for 11 years. I have been in the UK for 10 years too long now and can't wait to give my kids a similar lifestyle to what I had, so moving to Oz is a must!

What you guys up to now?

Cheers,

Dave

Guest MongooseB
Hey howzit ekse, I will be moving to Oz in the near future so joined this site to gather info.

I was born in Durban and lived in the Drakensberg (Kwahlamba as the Zulus call it) for 11 years. I have been in the UK for 10 years too long now and can't wait to give my kids a similar lifestyle to what I had, so moving to Oz is a must!

What you guys up to now?

Cheers,

Dave

Welcome to the site! Firstly, good luck with your move to Oz, I really hope it goes well and that you're sunning your buns again in the not too distant future.

We are on our way already, well, in dribs and drabs anyway. OH has been in Perth for 6 weeks now, and loves it!! We join him in October, not too long now, and can't wait!!!

I am originally a banana girl myself, grew up in Amanzimtoti and Pinetown. I have no doubt you're making the right move going to Oz, it's a little SA.

Best of luck!

Mongoose.:jiggy:

Guest Kepplerusa
Welcome to the site! Firstly, good luck with your move to Oz, I really hope it goes well and that you're sunning your buns again in the not too distant future.

We are on our way already, well, in dribs and drabs anyway. OH has been in Perth for 6 weeks now, and loves it!! We join him in October, not too long now, and can't wait!!!

I am originally a banana girl myself, grew up in Amanzimtoti and Pinetown. I have no doubt you're making the right move going to Oz, it's a little SA.

Best of luck!

Mongoose.:jiggy:

No way, I went to school at Ashleigh primary in Pinetown, then moved to Bergville and finished school at Estcourt High...I met my wife in Toti...so happy for you guys and wish you all the best!

Guest MongooseB
No way, I went to school at Ashleigh primary in Pinetown, then moved to Bergville and finished school at Estcourt High...I met my wife in Toti...so happy for you guys and wish you all the best!

Small world this is! My sister attended Ashleigh primary. I attended Doonheights primary, Toti primary and Toti high...who knows, might just know your wife. My maiden name was Bramford.

Yeah we heard that too.... OH is gutted. He is a charcoal man through and through!!!

thiers no reason you cant have a wood fired brai in your backyard,alot of the older houses in QLD have brick bbq's and in some of the state forests thier are wood fired ones wood supplied.people turned to gas as it was more convenient,and cost effective.

dont use treated timber[off biulding sites as it is poisonous]

Guest Kepplerusa

I will ask the wife but I suppose it all depends on what year you were there etc...I have a few names that you may know in the mean time: Melanie Fouche, Sean Noome, Brendan Wilken, Dieter Froulich, Morne Ruth, Mark Martin...can't remember anymore, those are just people in my sort of age group, I am 38 but feel 60 after all the rugby I have played!

This thread reminded me that I saw a review of a South African restaurant somewhere in Sydney (out in the 'burbs') and I forgot to cut it out. Offers the Durban/indian experience perhaps.

Not that I'm South African other than I liked Barry Richards and I want you to keep supplying our (English) cricket team so we can keep beating the Aussies.

Archived