Any South Africans moving from UK to OZ???

Guest Alpha

Hello all you Poms in Oz,

but also to those S.African Poms moving towards the sun.

I belong to other forumsthat help South Africans move from South Africa to Oz, but there aren't many that support South Africans living abroad and emigrating to Oz.

It's hard relating to those in South Africa, but at the same time it's hard relating to the Poms...I was wondering if there was anyone else in the same boat.

Although I have been here in the UK for almost 5 years and have finally adjusted, my husband and I would desperately like the sunshine now and I am longing to have children, but have decided to wait until we settle properly in Oz.

Is there anybody that understands my situation?

Well, hope everyone is enjoying the break.

Thanks, Have a good one.

Lovely, glad to find somebody, thanks Lyn!

Could you tell me, what is it that attracts you to Melbourne?

Don't think I know enough about that city.

Thanks again

If your the outdoor type Melbourne is a sports persons dream, they have all the big sporting occasions in the city and I love watching sport, tennis, motor racing cricket etc....

Melbourne however does not have the same heat as Brisbane so if you are looking for higher temps Melbourne may not be for you?

Ahhh! I AM the outdoor type, love ALL types of sports, but then have not heard enough good things about the weather. I am hoping my OH likes it more even after ALL the online research he has done.

Have heard many other good things about Melbourne,

do need to research it more.

Our hearts are set on Perth/Sydney so far

Thanks for the info!

Welcome you will find there are a lot of South Africans living in Australia, lots in Queensland and Perth. A lot of people from Zimbabwe are here as well.

Have a look at this web site and it may assist you :

Sabona Magazine | South African clubs in Australia

I spent part of my childhood in Rhodesia, South and North and my brother was born there.

As for weather I like Melbourne, no humidity and a temperate climate, cool winters, lovely spring and autumn and hot periods in the summer. Melbourne has a lot to offer and last year more migrants settled in Melbourne than anywhere else in Australia. Since 1980 we have an extra million people here. Its a very cosmopolitan city and the shops stay open all the time as do the pubs and clubs, the pubs and clubs have to close for two hours a day and they get to pick what hours they are. So there is always somewhere for people to go.

Good luck hope you find out all the info you need. I do have a SA friend on another forum who has settled here with her husband and her parents are also here.

Guest stevebison2000

hello alpha.

im from cape town,SA. been living in the uk for 5 1/2 years and got fed up. now living in perth.

we arrived here in october 08.

very similiar to cape town. if you go north of river the new houses are the same as SA. brick and cement.

scenary looks the same, the weather seems similar. its hot now but its a dry heat.

and the roads are full of bakkies. they call them utes over here.

very relaxed and laid back over here. people say perth is how cape town was 20 years ago.

some things are a little annoying. moblie phones are expensive, internet is slow and expensive

and things can take a while to get done. and customer service is appauling.

but guess thats the same as south africa.

i was just used to the efficency of the uk.

cheers

Thank you so much Petals and Stevebison2000

The Sabona website looks great!

And Steve, what did you have the most trouble with applying from the Uk, to be able to move to Oz?

(I am waiting for my birth certificate)

My other half and I are definitely going to see Sydney, Perth and Melbourne on our reccie,

Thanks again!

Guest stevebison2000

well the whole visa process is a nightmare. i think its a lot better now as its done online where as when i did it it was all paperbased.

we went through an agent the second time. as the first time we tried to do it on our own. we

were rejected the first time because one of the papers were missing. so that set us back 4 months.

we dicided to go through an agent then although it was a lot cheaper as we had already done everthing. they just double checked everthing. if you are looking for an agent i have only heard

good things about 'go matilda'

i went through someone esle but i wouldnt recommend them.

you will need a police clearance from sa which can be a nighmare.

• 2 months later...
Guest zambezi15

I think we all do, what the poms feel about adjusting to Oz, we had adjusting to the UK...but the bottom line is...Uk lack of sunshine and outdoor lifestyle. I dress up like an eskimo to push out my wheelie bin for collection. And find myself disappearing every winter in search of sun, whilst I desert my poor husband to fend for himself... Time to get a life.

Guest zambezi15

OH has his visa...and we need to go across in next six weeks to validate same and hopefully find a job whilst there before we return. Love to hear about other rekkie trips.

• 2 months later...
Guest stum

I grew up in South africa(british born), came back to England 23 years ago and am now moving to Brisbane in November. Feel like I am both South african and English, my parents still live in S.A. So I know how you feel, iv never quite felt English and Never quite felt south african and no doubt will probably never feel quite Australian!!

Guest boomerangpommie

I was born in the UK but moved to Zambia when I was two and then onto Rhodesia and then South Africa. Although, I returned to the UK as a teenager and have really spent the majority of my life here, I really found it difficult adjusting and have spent most of my adult life hankering to be somewhere else - South Africa I suppose but that's not a reality for me, everyone we know has left now. I've never felt totally English and both my brother and sister were born in Pretoria.

I lived in Sydney for a while and am planning to go back and, having been in Africa, a lot was very familiar and welcome -the weather (obviously), the wide open spaces and enough room for everyone, nice, large bungalows with a good bit of space between neighbours. I liked the wildlife and the sound of things rustling in the grass when you walk by or lizards just darting away. The sudden darkness at the end of the day and the way some people go about with no shoes on, it all reminded me of things I had not seen for a long time. I just loved not feeling cold all of the time, which I do here, I'm famous for it among everyone who knows me - after all these years, I just can't tolerate it, i need to be in the Southern Hemisphere.

Anyway, I would definately recommend giving it a go. I've heard there are loads of S.Africans in Perth and it is nearer to Joburg than it is to Sydney!!

Voorspoed!!

I grew up in South africa(british born), came back to England 23 years ago and am now moving to Brisbane in November. Feel like I am both South african and English, my parents still live in S.A. So I know how you feel, iv never quite felt English and Never quite felt south african and no doubt will probably never feel quite Australian!!

Hi Stum,

Gosh, my OH has a very similar background to you! He grew up in both Cape Town and Durban, british born, came to Scotland 18 years ago, now we're rplanning on moving to Brisbane too. His parents are still in Durban. He has always complained about the weather here. I think he feels more South African than English, but also a bit Scottish from living here so long. He is on a reccie to Brisbane this week and have spoken to him a few times. He thinks its very like SA, without the crime!

Do you know where in Brisbane you are headed?

Shaz

Our family migrated and lived in Southern and Northern Rhodesia as it was then and my brother was born there. When the problems started years ago we left and sent to New Zealand and then here to Australia. We had got used to the sunshine and there was not enough of it in NZ.

I love Melbourne despite what previous poster says Melbourne is not flat only parts of it are flat. It covers a huge area, we live on top of a hill and I wish it was flat when using the bike.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest zambezi15

We got back three days ago, Australia was awesome..more lakes and Estuaries then I imagined and much greener , lots of forests and reserves. Scenic and beautiful. We arrived in Adelaide hired a car and drove along the Coast to Brisbane, via Melbourne and Sydney. There are also some amazing towns in between. We then drove up to Noosa and back to Brizzie. Flew to Cairns for a few days then on to Perth for our last week. We loved it all. Melbourne was a bit too cold for my liking but also a beautiful City. I saw lots of my old Northern Rhodesian school friends (Zambia) and South African friends and family, all are extremly happy there. Whats not to like?

My husband who is British spent 23 years in Africa. We came back to a slightly warmer UK, but still grey skied.

We are def def moving across. Have loads of pics I have put on Facebook, dont know if you can download them here

Got to get into the household chores now...we were away 6 weeks

Cheers for now:laugh:

• 1 month later...

Hi there

We are South Africans, from Cape Town, having moved to the UK for 6,5 years (battled like crazy to adjust to the different way of life we were used to in SA) and hence moved to Melbourne, nearly 2 years back. We love it so much and have fitted in like a glove here. We have it all here - the beaches, coast line, forests, even the snow alps are 2 hours away (which does mean a cold winter though!) but with all the beauty and greenery around us, we are not complaining. It is a big city, but so much character along with that and you can head off on Sundays up the coast or into the Yarra Valley wine region. So beautiful and I could keep going on and on how much we love it here. We are about to apply for our PR now, after being here 2 years. We have one challenge though - trying to find my husband's army discharge papers - we have tried to fax them, but heard nothing back to confirm they are working on this so very unsure how or where to begin. Any advise from anyone ? I love Australia - Brisbane is also lovely, very small, warm weather. The only negative for us was we wanted to be closer to the beach and the Gold Coast was a bit far for a quick Sunday afternoon stroll along the sand. Sydney for us was too big and too expensive as well. We have not been to Perth yet though but hear it is lovely, also small, but pretty. And it is about 8 hours away from SA only which is a great plus factor for travelling and for family travelling to you. I was not so taken aback with Adelaide - pretty small city, the wine region beautiful and Hahndorf stunning little village worth a visit, but I think the weather dampened our weekend there. I just love Melbourne ! through and through !

• 2 weeks later...

Hi there,

I am a Saffer, too. My European wife and I have been living in the UK for 4 years now. Even though we have enjoyed aspects of life here in the UK, we've never been able to really "feel at home" here. I've been living in Europe for 8 years myself (Switzerland and Germany, prior to the UK) and could never really adjust to the European weather, either.

We are now heading for Melbourne - landing at the end of September! It's exciting, but that "butterflies in the stomach" feeling is there at times, I must admit. I have a good job and decent enough life here in the UK and will most likely arrive in Oz without a job and starting life all over again. I've been there before, but this time it feels a bit different with the credit crunch going on and all that. But hey, we are up for the challenge!

Interested to hear from any South Africans currently living in Oz (Melbourne) or heading there from the UK.

• 2 months later...
Guest Phantom

Hi Everyone

My wife and I are also hading of for the sun in OZ. I was Born in Johannesburg but grew up in East London, then moved to Cape Town where I lived for 12 years before going over to the UK. I have been here for 6 and a half years, My Eastern European Wife has been with me for 4 years in the UK. We have just recently applied through an agent but papers not yet submitted, so workign on that and trying to get all the paperwork together,

that is all for now.

later, got to go. and get back to work.

Terrence

South African heaven

:biglaugh:Hi

Here is something that was e-mailed to me,this is a joke and not meant to offend anyone.

In South Africa we live in

HEAVEN.

We HEAVEN got petrol,

we HEAVEN got wek,

we HEAVEN got a cure for eds,

we HEAVEN got lektriek and

we HEAVEN got brite fewcha.

Eish!!

Kind Regards

Another one for south africans.(HOW TO START THE DAY WITH POSITIVE OUTLOOK

:biglaugh:HOWTO START EACH DAY WITH A POSITIVE OUTLOOK

1. Open a new file in your computer.

2. Name it "Robert Mugabe".

3. Send it to the Recycle Bin.

4. Empty the Recycle Bin.

5. Your PC will ask you. "Do you really want to get rid of "Robert Mugabe ?"

6. Firmly Click "Yes."

7. Feel better?

Tomorrow we'll do Jacob Zuma

• 9 months later...
Guest MongooseB

Hi.

We returned to the UK a second time, 2 years ago, from SA and just cannot settle. We too are hopefully making the move to OZ, as we believe the climate and lifestyle is closer to what we are used to. Don't feel alone, there are many of us in the same boat.

Looks as if we are all in the same boat, My wife and i have been here before on working holiday visa's and after returning to SA decided it was not any better and came back to UK. Have not settled at all here and now off to brisbane. All paperwork done and meds and PCC so just waiting for the invite.. best of luck to you all

Archived