Driving in NSW on a subclass 309 Provisional Spouse visa.

Guest timtims83

Guest timtims83

I have just arrived in Australia having been granted a subclass 309 Provisional Spouse Visa. My partner has a car and i have been driving around the area and decided that i should get a full NSW licence. I have a full UK licence and therefore just wanted to transfer it over. When i went to the RTA to apply for my licence they told me that i would have to wait for 6 months before applying for a NSW licence due to the fact that my Visa is classed as temporary. Under NSW rules, a visitor can drive on a foreign licence for 3 months but then i will have to stop driving and wait another 3 months before i can apply for a NSW licence. Does this seem right or am i missing something? Personally, i think that yes my visa is temporary for 2 years until they grant my permanent Spouse Visa, but my intentions are to live in Australia for ever and therefore the temporary part is a bit misleading!

Any help or advice would be greatly appriciated:emoticon-signxmas:

Tim

Guest Faye&Matt

That's really interesting. We're going over on a spouse visa too and I was wanting to get an Aus driving license asap too but doesn't look like I'll be able to now. It seems a very silly rule but I can sort of understand it. What a pain to not be able to drive for 3 months. that will make things a lot harder for both of us I'm sure not being able to drive for 3 months, especially with regards to getting to work, etc.

Guest timtims83

Hmmm, thats interesting... I've just spoken with the RTA in NSW and was told that the 3 month rule is an old rule! The new rules state that if you have a UK licence (or some other foreign licence), you can drive until the expiry date on your current licence. But you still have to wait the 6 months before you can apply for a NSW licence. I'm going to keep looking this matter up as what the guy just said on the phone doesn't quite match what i've seen online.

Tim

Guest Faye&Matt

Thanks for posting that! It's good to know I'm not going to be stuck on the dodgy central coast public transport for 3 months! lol

I have just arrived in Australia having been granted a subclass 309 Provisional Spouse Visa. My partner has a car and i have been driving around the area and decided that i should get a full NSW licence. I have a full UK licence and therefore just wanted to transfer it over. When i went to the RTA to apply for my licence they told me that i would have to wait for 6 months before applying for a NSW licence due to the fact that my Visa is classed as temporary. Under NSW rules, a visitor can drive on a foreign licence for 3 months but then i will have to stop driving and wait another 3 months before i can apply for a NSW licence. Does this seem right or am i missing something? Personally, i think that yes my visa is temporary for 2 years until they grant my permanent Spouse Visa, but my intentions are to live in Australia for ever and therefore the temporary part is a bit misleading!

Any help or advice would be greatly appriciated:emoticon-signxmas:

Tim

Tim, I would advise you to go into a different branch & get your aussie licence, why becuase :-

a friend of mine was told that she had to wait 6months (she came over to oz straight as a pr) had a car accident & then the police wanted to sue her as it was after 4months & she was told by the police she should have changed her uk licence to aussie licence in 3 months - luckily she got off with it & all was sorted,

I myself applied for my temp spouse visa onshore in oz & before i had put my application in & only a few days after i landed in oz i got my aussie licence with no worries.

Hope you get it sorted

best wishes

stuju :-)

Archived