Guest James.S

16 hours ago, Jsmull87 said:

Am I correct in thinking this is the Gap training such Aussie regs? Then I still need to do a log book after that.

Do you by any chance know what it costs? There is a company in the U.K. that let you start things whilst here but it appears to be at a premium.

cheers

james 

James,

ive just sent you a message can you please reply to arthurquinn@outlook.com

• Thanks 1

On 23/08/2018 at 08:02, no1spark said:

James,

ive just sent you a message can you please reply to arthurquinn@outlook.com

You will need to do your OSTR in the UK to get the ball rolling which will give you the certificate to go to energysafety for your provisional electrical license.. from there it depends where in Australia you are going.. in NSW I have heard there is an intense gap training course that gives your full license in about 4 to 6 weeks. If you have to do it the older way then gap training requires on the job training  a log book and about 10 months to complete and thats all asuming you get a trade assistent job to get the experience.  Either way it costs a lot of dolllars.. be prepared to spend 10k+ for the whole process.... I did my OSTR in the UK with the downunder centre... gives you a head start before you get here and you have no choice but get your OSTR... hope it helps.  If you need more help Im in WA Perth so only have more information for this side. 

• Thanks 1

• 2 months later...
On 12/05/2017 at 20:01, Eltonb said:

Hi Arron I can assure you it is not hard to find work in Melbourne sorry no1spark you are way off with the way off with that info unless you can back that up you should not be feeding people with that as that what you wrote could put someone off from coming to Melbourne when it is so wrong thing dont work like what you read on the esv website, how is it impossible to get a restricted license please explain, me and my 3 mates plus the other 4 guys on the gap training must be the 1% in your closed mind

The job i found when I had my restricted license  I worked with someone for a week then I was in a car on my own on an Agrades wage running jobs because I said to my boss from day 1 I no what im doing you will be getting agrade class of work obviously better than Agrade because i was trained in the uk haha I also said if you want to pay me apprentice wages i can act like an apprentice its up to you, all I had to do when i was getting to grips with regs at the start is ring him when i was not sure to double check i was doing things right, I met guys on the gap training and 3 of us became good friends and they are working for companies with the same role that i had and they are still on a restricted license 

In my eyes an electrical license is a bit of plastic that gives ESV the right to screw you in the arse if you mess up, because it proves that you have done the exams that "make you understand what is right and wrong" but everyone here dose what they like anyway on site but they  think for some reason the are the best trained in the world and have to strongest regs in the world as the get told that as college and i can 100% say to anyone thinking of coming to aus you will get a shock from how they do things out here you may also get treated like an idiot at first but when they see you quality of work the aussies give you respect

1 quick thing for the cost of living when you start living here and your earning the $ stop converting everything to pound you will find that the cost of living is not bad at all. when you in the uk and your converting everything from $ to pound it seems expensive

if you want any info Arron PM me i will give you my details and help you where i can

Elton b

mate struggling to find a fast track course to gain my license. I have my otsr report, i am working for a company and just want to get my license so i can start earning the dollar. 

If you could send me any information that would be very much appreciated. 

Loving it here, i live in the northern rivers of NSW on the queensland border and have had no problem in finding a job....

many thanks in advance....

• 7 months later...

Wish I'd seen this post earlier. 

For any electricians with a dual trade (instrumentation), who've had their qualifications aligned with Australian certificates, you may be interested to keep an eye on regular jobs advertised by the Water Corporation. These are mostly regional jobs in:

- Karratha

- Leonora

- Kalgoorlie

- Albany

- Bunbury

Why would you want to be away from a big city? Well, almost 9m people live regionally (outside of metro areas) in Australia. The cost of living is lower. House prices / rent is lower. People are generally happier as they're not working away from their families. They're less stressed. 

Regional life isn't for everyone. If you love the beach, the kilometres of unspoilt, uncluttered scenery and wildlife won't be for you. If you like getting on public transport and peering into your phone for 45 minutes, then a 15-min walk to work probably isn't your cuppa.  

If you've made it to this point and there's a small part of you that's curious, you're welcome to bookmark this page for future reference:  https://watercorp.taleo.net/careersection/careersection/2/joblist.ftl?uid=3919-1066-3579-1751&pid=res-au-cwu-np-cv 

Thank you for your time. 

Mark 

PS. Any questions? You're welcome to drop me a line by PM initially. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 6 months later...

Hi all hubby is currently swapping licence over in qld, he’s got exams next week and is a bit stressed as training body have sent him all the relevant info etc and it looks like needs to know all the design side from fitting mains all the way through to house, he said seems needs to know all the calculations which in uk don’t do as electrical board run the mains not electricians. Has anyone had experience of this as he’s starting to stress, he’s done the online course, done log book etc it’s this final bit, he’s worried about all the calculations he’s doing his course through MRAEL Australian trade training college.

The max demand stuff. Isn’t as bad as expected but I did mine in SA. Is it the capstone exam he is about to do or just a project book at home? 

I don’t suppose he did any of it through Down Under Centre? If so he could ask Wes for access to the Facebook group. All the guys are using ATTC there and will follow the exact same path. 

happy to try and help but SA and QLD do things a little different.   

Edited by Jsmull87
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

Hi all, 

I have just arrived in Brisbane and am just starting the Vetassess/Futureskills process. The only thing stressing me out is the DOL starter diagram, wiring and testing! Does anyone have advice/diagrams that they can send me so I can have a look. Didn’t work with motors in the uk. Thanks in advance.

For all Electricians waiting to take the Practical the biggest piece of advise i can give is to read all the information in this thread and prepare. Below is a description of each section of the Vetassess practical Exam.

Safe Isolation/Disconnection/Reconnection

The scenario given was an electrical heater in a kitchen had given someone a shock and we were there to check it. All i can say in this is to read the procedure given to you in the candidate booklet and learn it all by heart. I wrote the scenario in the candidate guide a couple of times until i was able to write it step by step without looking in the guide. This is a good way of memorizing the procedure how they want to see it. Remember to test your testers every time before and after you use them and also to check the appliance frame to ensure it is not live before starting. Before you reconnect the appliance you were required to test the CPC continuity and insulation resistance noting the maximum values allowed, your results and then pass or fail. I heard the assessor throw in a couple of additional scenarios to some of the other lads such as your boss is phoning you and you need to go outside to take the call. He was trying to see if you left the installation in a dangerous condition i.e exposed live connections or you hadnt locked off the mcb and left your warning signs on.

Motor

Firstly the assessor will write into your work book either star or delta. Once he has written down which one you are required to draw out the symbol for the motor connections and identify the winding connections i.e u1, u2, v1, v2, w1, w2. Next step was to draw out the connections for the given motor i.e star is L1 - U1, L2 - V1, L3 - W1, and then W2 - U2 - V2 and for Delta L1 - U1, L2 - V1, L3 - W1, and then W2 - U1, U2 - V1, V2 - W1. After you have done this you have to label up 4 components in the control circuit which were start, stop, thermal overload, and a normally open contact (Revise what the symbols look like) and then draw out the DOL motor control circuit using the symbols and make sure you number the connections as i did that and the assessor was pleased i had done it and it shows you have knowledge of motor control circuits. Once you had filled in your workbook as above you was taken over to a whiteboard with the motor control components fixed on and you were to wire the control circuit you had drawn out with plug in leads. Once you have proved the circuit is correct and it works the assessor will put a fault on the control circuit. Mine was the start and stop connections were switched so the connections 1 & 2 became my start and 3 & 4 became my stop. You got a bell set so i found this be belling out the pin connections to the contacts. I can honestly say this is the section i dreaded most but i read all the info given and revised the drawing schematics on this thread and i can say i found it quite straight forward. There was a guy who said to the assessor i dont know anything about motors and i think he didnt get far with the drawing. I dont do much motor installation at work but i revised and found it easy so the tip is revise.

Multiple Choice Exam

This section is self explanatory. You have six sections of 4 questions where you are required to get 3 out of 4 in each section. The book for electrical calculations level 2 and 3 are highly recommended for your revision. It will also help if you can transpose equations also as there were a couple of questions where this was required and i struggled with. All equations/formulas were given at the back of your workbook.

Practical

First thing you do is do a risk assessment in your workbook of all the tasks carried out i.e safe isolation, motor, and the practical. Then you start with the Very straight forward practical installation section. Conusmer unit with a straight piece of PVC conduit to a socket outlet wired in a 2.5mm radial, lighting circuit with 2 x 2 way switches partially wired in T&E Cable clipped direct and partially in 1.5mm singles in PVC conduit. Between the switches you are to do a double set in your PVC conduit as there is a difference in height of your switches by 50mm. Practice bending PVC conduit as you do not get a vice or former you bend it over your knee. Main Earth is a mm taken from a copper pipe which is acting as your earth electrode. Once you have completed the installation you are required to test earth continuity and insulation resistance of the installation and note your readings, also stating minimum values acceptable and if it passess or fails. Then its time to power up and check you have wired your lighting circuit correctly and your switches operate correctly. Once the assessor takes measurements of the installation ensuring you have followed the drawing given you are told to disconnect the supply and strip it all out.

The day was very intense and i was bricking it but if you prepare you will walk it. The assessor was really nice and approachable and he is accompanied by a local expert which is a tutor from the college. The college tutor is the one who does the safe isolation procedure and he throws in the odd hint about making sure you test the appliance before starting and once re energized.
  • Like 1

• 1 year later...