Guest James.S

Hi all this is a bit complicated but basically moved to oz hubby did logbook etc took exam but failed on one section. Assessor was a nightmare never returned calls emails etc took months to just do exam let alone coursework. We was in qld aswell, eventually assessor told hubby that they don't really want brits coming over and getting the licence. Anyway was told could resist just that bit of exam not the whole lot. Tried for months to make this happen was really fed up of trying to sort out new exam date. Eventually for other reasons had to move back to uk but desperate to come back to oz. Does anyone know of a way can just do part of the exam he failed or will he have to do the whole thing again plus coursework/logbook etc. Without licence its hard to get work, also don't really want to return to qld would prefer to move to another state would the logbook etc transfer to another state or should he just go qld to do exam etc any help is appreciated I know it's complicated.

I got a license!!! Electrical Mechanic or whatever that means!! 

Came over with my VETASSESS completed. All my HNC and NVQ certificates. My college logbooks from 2001.

Gap training through Skillstech - distance learning - in Brisbane. 5 modules to complete.

My logbook from working in NSW as an unlicensed electrician.

3 day Capstone exam.

Done!!

...................only took 6 years, 3 RTOs in 2 states, 2 jobs and almost $6000!!

Edited by markstott1980

Hello guys!

Please someone could help me to understand the process to get an unrestricted license in Australia? Step by step, please. First - Submit documentary evidence to Future Skill International, Second - if outcome is positive for documentary evidence, next step is practical assessment, Third - if practical is positive take OSTR, if negative take a gap course. Fourth - after your OSTR positive I need to work 12 months under supersion, then I  get the unrestricted license.  :arghh:

1 hour ago, msfuk said:

Hello guys!

Please someone could help me to understand the process to get an unrestricted license in Australia? Step by step, please. First - Submit documentary evidence to Future Skill International, Second - if outcome is positive for documentary evidence, next step is practical assessment, Third - if practical is positive take OSTR, if negative take a gap course. Fourth - after your OSTR positive I need to work 12 months under supersion, then I  get the unrestricted license.  :arghh:

Its a lot of years since my OH done his licence but  I think now Future Skills do the skills assessment that you need for your visa, you should also get your OSTR which will get your a restricted licence.When you are here you then have to apply to the licencing board in whatever state you are in, this is when you need to do gap courses and supervised work to gain your A Grade licence. 

Edited by AJ

• 4 weeks later...

Hi does anyone know if someone does a refresher course for the electrical vetassess test in sydney?

I got all my documentation approved but need and just need to book in my test.

It's been so long since i done any theory, that i feel i would maybe need a couple of days revision with a teacher.

• 1 month later...

Thanks @Eltonb for that great post regarding licensing.

I'm currently a maintenance spark in a UK car plant. I've done some installation work, but my trade/skills is fault finding and repairs on industrial equipment. I've done a HNC, NVQ3, 4 year apprenticeship (been out of my time for 7 years) and I work with PLCs and robots etc. Would this be considered General Electrician or Special Class? Do you know if there is much call for this kind of work in Aus? Is the licensing situation similar for the two trades? Sorry to bombard you with questions, but I keep finding conflicting answers online.

I don't think i'd make it as an installation sparky, I'm not used to working for a living xD

Thanks,

Henry

• 2 months later...
On 27/12/2015 at 01:03, Timmo 72 said:

Hello kayley

went through the vetassess process last year , working in the rail industry as a signalling technician I had limited domestic knowledge but still did the apprenticeship as an electrician then went into railway signalling for 23 years so thought I would go special electrician when I spoke to vetassess they said they assessed general and special electrician exactly the same way without a technical interview so I went the general electrician route , paperwork section can be a nightmare gathering evidence but the practical was a breeze

Tim! I hope you get this as ive just left a post for your wife lol! 

My hubby is in same boat as you were few years ago! Works for London Underground in uk, been in Signalling for 13 years but has no degree and all migration agents are saying it’s game over ? plus as you know he won’t have any domestic sparky experience or quals as he’s been in Signalling. Help?! 

Hope you get this !! 

• 2 months later...

Hello everybody,

Hoping someone maybe able to help. Currently trying to complete my Electrical Contractors Licence and just need to finish off the maximum demand assignment, having trouble with this. Anybody wish to share?

Thanks in advance.

On 13/10/2017 at 04:24, Younghenry said:

Thanks @Eltonb for that great post regarding licensing.

I'm currently a maintenance spark in a UK car plant. I've done some installation work, but my trade/skills is fault finding and repairs on industrial equipment. I've done a HNC, NVQ3, 4 year apprenticeship (been out of my time for 7 years) and I work with PLCs and robots etc. Would this be considered General Electrician or Special Class? Do you know if there is much call for this kind of work in Aus? Is the licensing situation similar for the two trades? Sorry to bombard you with questions, but I keep finding conflicting answers online.

I don't think i'd make it as an installation sparky, I'm not used to working for a living xD

Thanks,

Henry

Hey.. I was in the same boat.. depends where your looking at living depends the type of work available.. dont expect big factories like in the UK.. and not as technical... Special class would be your option.. but to be honest they are both the same licence here and you will need to get both trade parts assessed..... its a money making excercise for the government. . Everything costs cash here!!!... 

• 3 weeks later...

Hi All,

I have had my skills assessed and received an OSTR. I'm now looking at the next stage of the process and was hoping any of you who have already walked the path can give me a preview of what to expect and plan for.

Was it difficult finding an employer whilst on a restricted licence? Do wages take a big hit whilst getting the experience for eprofiling? ( I have planned for not getting a job right away but do sparks find it any more difficult because of the e-profiling)

Lastly, some RTO's are offering distance learning (at an inflated cost) to start the gap training whilst in the UK. Does anybody have any experience doing this? 

Hi, it can be difficult to find a job on a restricted licence though its far from impossible. It took me 4 months to find a job but once I did, I made a few contacts and I haven't been out of work since. You will earn less working on a restricted license, how much less will depend on which state you're in and also the company you work for but the wages over here are pretty good most places that I've worked. 

• Thanks 1

• 3 months later...
On 21/10/2016 at 06:39, StevC said:

sorry its the WAE100 project for the nominees course in WA if anyone could help i would really appreciate it please

Steve

howd you go with this? Doing it at the moment? Do you have any notes?

cheers

On 26/02/2017 at 16:24, Eltonb said:

Hi guys and girls

This is a post of my experience of becoming licensed in Victoria this can also help if you are looking to live in and other state

When I came to Auz I came on a working holiday visa had no info on how to become qualified and licensed here so just had to roll with it hoping I would find the correct information but it was very hard to find.

I tried the ARTC but messed the application trying to do it myself by not collecting good references from past employers ect so it was declined but the whole process is now scrapped.

The OTSR is the only path to start the licence process (as far as i am aware)

Here is what I did step by step in Melbourne to gain my cert 3 and AGRADE licence, in other states the process it the same minus the licence exams: LET & LEP.

*Do an OTSR with future skills in the UK before you come out. You can do it in Australia(I did this) but I would advise to do it in the UK so you are ready to rock when you get here

*When you get here get your supervised workers licence from energy safe - you need a job to get this.

*Do your gap training (Kangan institute if you are in Melbourne)

*Work for 12 months and complete e-profiling(online work experience logger)

*In that 12 months do the LET+LEP licence exams - If you are in Melbourne.

*Once your e-profile is complete apply to the institute where you did your gap training to give you a statement on attainment then contact future skills to give you your cert 3.

*Apply to licensing body - If you are in Melbourne it is energy safe Victoria. To get your A-Grade electrical licence you need cert 3, LET, LEP and a letter from your boss saying you have worked for 12 months doing electrical installation wiring work to gain this licence.

Hope this can help anybody out there as I would hate for anyone to go through it the way I did learning as I go. If anyone genuinely wants my help and is 100% set on moving here feel free to contact me and I will give you my email and number to help you with the whole process.thumbsup.gifthumbsup.gifthumbsup.gif GOOD LUCK

Costs (VICTORIA)

supervised workers licence $226

Gap training $2400 2days a week for 5 week

Future skills cert 3 $50

LEP course around $450 3days.

LEPExam $275

LET course around $480 4days.

LET Exam $95

You can also get private tuition also i did this for the LET and I can pass the guys number on if you private message me as the refresher course was a waste of time

AGRADE application $275

Not sure of OTSR as my migration agent did all my paperwork and can't remember what i payed

This is great mate. Spot on. I'm on the stage of deciding whether to do the exams or not. Haha. I've got the supervised licence etc. So all good to now. Hows your work going? 

• 1 month later...
On 15/08/2018 at 00:01, Jsmull87 said:

Hi, does anyone know if IPAF cards are accepted in Australia. IPAF claim it is international but some older posts on other sites suggest it isn’t. Looking at South Australia if it makes a difference.

cheers 

Hi

No IPAF not acceptable in SA either you need a new ticket for everything here.

• Thanks 1

I had a feeling that would be the case. Just done the medical today so starting to think about reworking my CV and if I have any transferable certs. Cheers

Are you currently in SA?  Do you have any job search tips or agencies you recommend? I’ve been doing facilities management stuff for last few years but I will probably have to back to house bashing to cover the gap training. 

Hi Sorry 

for the late reply.

yeah I’m in SA.

theres a company called skills SA who will advise you on what direct transferable qualifications you have and what will need to be transferred I found these pretty useful.

Seek is a good one for jobs.

maybe contact red appointments and Randstad they are the bigger agencies.

Good luck with everything 

Dean

• Thanks 1

On 18/08/2018 at 02:24, Jsmull87 said:

I had a feeling that would be the case. Just done the medical today so starting to think about reworking my CV and if I have any transferable certs. Cheers

Are you currently in SA?  Do you have any job search tips or agencies you recommend? I’ve been doing facilities management stuff for last few years but I will probably have to back to house bashing to cover the gap training. 

Hi Jsmull

The guys are correct ipaf means nothing put here you have to high risk work licence for EWP only if you wish to work over 11m and for a scissor and booms under 11m you have to do the yellow card. 

Pritty much no quals/tickets in our trade are are automatically recognized you have to do some kind of recognition.

Good apps to search for work are seek and indeed from time to time they advertise for workers on a restricted licence

good luck 

Elton

• Like 1

Hi Elton,
I’m beginning to see everything is do it their way for a cost. I should hopefully have enough saving to get by for 4 months so I will just take it as it comes

How long have you been out there? Is the lifestyle worth the effort [emoji23]

Thanks for input. Really appreciate it [emoji106]

Cheers

James

42 minutes ago, Jsmull87 said:

Hi Elton,
I’m beginning to see everything is do it their way for a cost. I should hopefully have enough saving to get by for 4 months so I will just take it as it comes

How long have you been out there? Is the lifestyle worth the effort emoji23.png

Thanks for input. Really appreciate it emoji106.png

Cheers

James

Hi james 

Thats 100% correst everything has a license let me give you a example when you in primary scool and you go from using  a pencil to a pen you have to get your pen licence this is no joke but ?????

Iv been here 6 years and i love it but the lifestyle is what you make of it depending on where you live if your into being outdoors allot ect and the line of work you are in. i earn way more money than i did back in the uk and work less that in its self relieves allot of pressure on life(this did not happen over night i had to work my arse of for some time when i arrived here ), i live 5min from a beach so many great places to go camping pritty much live outside 80% of the year but 1 thing i find is you have to just adapt to the auzzie life dont try bring the uk with you. 

No problem it is a big move you have to take all the advice you can but at the same time you will have your own unique experience getting to your end goal you have to not give up no matter what keep jumping through the hoops 

Elton 

• Like 1

if anybody is looking to convert the UK qualification to Australian foe electrical & your intending to live in SA you can do a 1 x weeks course at Peer SA contact peter jolly the training manager they are very nice people its not easy getting the unrestricted license but worth it at the end of the day.

Arthur

Melbourne

arthurquinn@outlook.com

• Thanks 1

Am I correct in thinking this is the Gap training such Aussie regs? Then I still need to do a log book after that.

Do you by any chance know what it costs? There is a company in the U.K. that let you start things whilst here but it appears to be at a premium.

cheers

james