Guest James.S

Hi is any one doing or has done the MRAEL Electrical gap course for a Queensland electrical licence?  within the last year?  I've already emigrated and I'm carrying out the course but I'm finding the course assessor less than helpful.  On certain questions there is no guide to how complex the answer needs to be.  If anyone is doing it and wants to swap ideas re answers please feel free to message me

thanks

James

• 2 weeks later...

Eltonb how hard did you find it to get supervised quirk in Melbourne and what is the pay at that level, as I am thinking of coming out to Melbourne but unsure because of the cost of living/wages and if you can actually get supervised quite easily. Thanks in advance

Sent from my iPhone using PomsinOz

On 21/12/2008 at 9:37 PM, Guest James.S said:

unrestricted license

hello people just a little info regarding the electrical license issues in Victoria:

its almost impossible to get a restricted license & then again 99% of company's wont employ you due to the fact your not allowed to work alone & your also not allowed to sign of for any jobs you perform you shall be supervised continually until you pass exams for the A class unrestricted license. the fines are horrific for people who do the wrong thing in this game. I would say over here lots of Sparkies (Aussies) are shit how some have obtained a license is beyond me

Arthur

no1spark@yahoo.com

Arthur,
That was my concern as I didn't want to pay all the visas , shipping etc to then struggle to get employed under a restricted licence. My friend moved over and said I would get a job at easily but he is a plumber. Maybe it is different in other parts of Australia but it was Melbourne I was hoping to go to. Glad someone has finally said before I put money into it only to be disappointed.

Sent from my iPhone using PomsinOz

Hi Arron I can assure you it is not hard to find work in Melbourne sorry no1spark you are way off with the way off with that info unless you can back that up you should not be feeding people with that as that what you wrote could put someone off from coming to Melbourne when it is so wrong thing dont work like what you read on the esv website, how is it impossible to get a restricted license please explain, me and my 3 mates plus the other 4 guys on the gap training must be the 1% in your closed mind

The job i found when I had my restricted license  I worked with someone for a week then I was in a car on my own on an Agrades wage running jobs because I said to my boss from day 1 I no what im doing you will be getting agrade class of work obviously better than Agrade because i was trained in the uk haha I also said if you want to pay me apprentice wages i can act like an apprentice its up to you, all I had to do when i was getting to grips with regs at the start is ring him when i was not sure to double check i was doing things right, I met guys on the gap training and 3 of us became good friends and they are working for companies with the same role that i had and they are still on a restricted license 

In my eyes an electrical license is a bit of plastic that gives ESV the right to screw you in the arse if you mess up, because it proves that you have done the exams that "make you understand what is right and wrong" but everyone here dose what they like anyway on site but they  think for some reason the are the best trained in the world and have to strongest regs in the world as the get told that as college and i can 100% say to anyone thinking of coming to aus you will get a shock from how they do things out here you may also get treated like an idiot at first but when they see you quality of work the aussies give you respect

1 quick thing for the cost of living when you start living here and your earning the $ stop converting everything to pound you will find that the cost of living is not bad at all. when you in the uk and your converting everything from $ to pound it seems expensive

if you want any info Arron PM me i will give you my details and help you where i can

Elton b

Edited by Eltonb

16 hours ago, Eltonb said:

Elton,

now then let me say im not knocking your skills at all i know the Uk skill sets are fantastic, however what your saying is incorrect, your NOT allowed to work alone unsupervised without the full license, i don't care what you told any employer its ILLEGAL in Victoria, as for negotiating any pay scale good luck to you i don't think most people can do that.

if you still think you can perform work on your own then give me your so called restricted license & we shall see how far you get, i can assure you now the company & you shall be in court.

Restricted licenses are for people doing Air Con installs & restricted work unless ESV have changed the set up but please think before you make comments on what legal & not. you & your friends may be able to work with an full license holder but NOT you with out the right licenses what if something was to go wrong then your so called company who lets you work on your own shall have all insurances cancelled.??? not rocket science.

i would agree with you on the license & its a piece of paper thats we both have the same idea & i did say most UK sparkies are fantastic.

I would never try to put people of coming here but life is suck that you need a license to piss at times & if you intend to work for your self thats another license & insurance.

Arthur In Melbourne

16 hours ago, Eltonb said:

Hi Arron I can assure you it is not hard to find work in Melbourne sorry no1spark you are way off with the way off with that info unless you can back that up you should not be feeding people with that as that what you wrote could put someone off from coming to Melbourne when it is so wrong thing dont work like what you read on the esv website, how is it impossible to get a restricted license please explain, me and my 3 mates plus the other 4 guys on the gap training must be the 1% in your closed mind

The job i found when I had my restricted license  I worked with someone for a week then I was in a car on my own on an Agrades wage running jobs because I said to my boss from day 1 I no what im doing you will be getting agrade class of work obviously better than Agrade because i was trained in the uk haha I also said if you want to pay me apprentice wages i can act like an apprentice its up to you, all I had to do when i was getting to grips with regs at the start is ring him when i was not sure to double check i was doing things right, I met guys on the gap training and 3 of us became good friends and they are working for companies with the same role that i had and they are still on a restricted license 

In my eyes an electrical license is a bit of plastic that gives ESV the right to screw you in the arse if you mess up, because it proves that you have done the exams that "make you understand what is right and wrong" but everyone here dose what they like anyway on site but they  think for some reason the are the best trained in the world and have to strongest regs in the world as the get told that as college and i can 100% say to anyone thinking of coming to aus you will get a shock from how they do things out here you may also get treated like an idiot at first but when they see you quality of work the aussies give you respect

1 quick thing for the cost of living when you start living here and your earning the $ stop converting everything to pound you will find that the cost of living is not bad at all. when you in the uk and your converting everything from $ to pound it seems expensive

if you want any info Arron PM me i will give you my details and help you where i can

Elton b

Came over on a 189 perm visa 2 months ago, living in Sydney, found a job after 2 1/2 weeks on the books got a van/phone job lot, working domestic/commercial, had no domestic experience before, was babbing it at first but once I got stuck in, work over here is a hell of a lot easier than back home in my opinion 

• Like 2

I got told by a couple of Irish lads that are sparkles out here that Melbourne is harder than Sydney to get work sparking but I've no proof that's true once you get here just hammer the agencies, if you need any help/contacts in Sydney hit me up ??

• Like 1

Do trade recognition in U.K. Come to Sydney and get a job (easy) transfer trade recognition to Provisional license and do the '3 week full time (intensive) Electrical gap training' . Obtain NSW Electrical license and transfer it to Vic license when u move to Melbourne. This '3 week gap training in Sydney is reasonably new, I was in the first ever class 8 months ago and it's still running as I have a friend who is currently finishing his gap training the same way. The 3 week full time course replaces the 6month 2 evenings a week course.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...