Guest James.S

Hello there,

I just arrived in WA on a PR, so I don't need anything for the visa anymore. But I was wondering which way is easier and which way is faster to get a WA Grade License as Electrician, with Vetasses or Futureskills? Thanks in advance.

if you have Pr already why do you need to go through a skills assessment? It has changed a lot so am not sure nowbut you should need an ARTC the apply for your licence through energy safe just ignore this I have just read what you need to do now it has changed a lot! Edited by AJ

• 1 month later...

Hi, just thought I'd put a post on here as I'm a spark and I've just completed my skills assessment through future skills via the down under center.

Can't sing their praises highly enough, wes and his team are so helpful and not only with the skills assessment but other parts of the migration process too. They have always been available on the phone and ready to help. I was going to do the vetasses route as I've been looking into moving for a while and was always led to believe this is the only route but it's not, thankfully, they have between 2 and 4 assessments a month I think, don't quote me on that, I know they hold them monthly as apose to vetasses' two or three times a year. They also do a training day to ready you for the test which cost me £300 but was well worth the time and money because it made that assessment so much more straightforward and much less daunting on the day.

Anyway i thought I'd share this info because from what I understand they are still trying to make a name for themselves but they without doubt offer the best service I've come across and I've been readying myself for migration for about 4 years now and have looked into all the different companies. I considered a company called down under tradies but steered clear after a few warnings on here, turns out it was a good thing to do as a guy in the assessment training with me lost a lot of money by using them and they charged him but never actually did the work and just fobbed him off until he went to their office and just got his documents back and had to re-apply and lost money.

Anyway just a quick share as I came across the company by chance and I'm so glad I did because they have saved me so much time and have been really helpful and I just wish I'd heard about them on here as I'd trawled through this site for years and was only aware of vetassess who aren't very accessible.

Edited by Skyba

• 1 month later...

Hi all, just after some advice if anyone can help.

I moved to Australia 5 weeks ago today, have taken some time out to get myself sorted and have now got accommodation sorted so have turned my attention to finding longer term work. I am a qualified electrician from the UK, I used my training gain an OTSR to enable me to come over on a 189 skills visa and have now applied for my Victoria provisional electrical licence, I have also booked a white card course to complete on Friday.

The problem I have found with getting an electrical job is that everyone wants an A licensed electrician or an apprentice. I need to work for a year to gain experience to allow me to gain my A licence, so how can I go about getting experience?.

Has anyone else encountered this problem and how did you overcome it?.

I have tried applying for apprentice jobs stating that I want the experience but I'm unsure if there is some financial benefit to having a genuine apprentice as there is in the UK which is putting companies off hiring.

Thanks in advance, any help will be greatly appreciated. Simon

Hey All Ive read through heaps of these threads on here and nows my time to ask for a bit of help Im due to sit my vetasses practical exam in 3 weeks in perth and am wondering if anyone has any extra information they can send me on ie any extra test questions or drawing which may come in handy also does anyone still have what they wrote for their electives as Im unsure if ive given enough information or not!!!!!!!

• 1 month later...

Hi guys I am a uk qualified electrician and living in Canberra . When we arrived in Oz 18 months ago I couldn't get any sparkie work as I have no Aussie licence . I am thinking of getting back in the trade . I have city and guilds parts 1 and 2 with a jib gold card but not many references as I worked through agencies in the uk . Could anyone recommend the easiest way to get assessed and the route to get the liscence as it seems complicated . Cheers pozza .

Hi Pozza, you are right, it is complicated. Firstly, did you come over on a skilled visa? If so I assume you will have completed your OTSR (Offshore Technical Skills Record)? If not then this is your first port of call. Try contacting Futureskills international, they are based in Queensland but hold assessments all round the country. I would advise booking onto a preparation course as well as it sounds like you have been out of the trade for a while and the scope of the course is quite large. It is not cheap so I would not want to fail it and have to resit.

Secondly, contact your local college, I am not sure who that would be in Canberra, you need to book yourself onto the Minimum Context Gap Training which consists of two parts, the LEA, and an eProfile. An eProfile is similar to an NVQ in the UK, work based training and you have to have a job in the industry to be able to start. Basically, as you complete work, you fill out an online profile of all the sections required and your boss will sign off to confirm you have done the work. The LEA consists of three parts, the SWP (safe working practices), the LET (theory) and the LEP (practical assessment). The LEA is completed by all Australian apprentices after becoming qualified in order to gain their licences so it should be easy enough to find a college that runs the course. The SWP is covered by the OTSR so there is no need to complete that section, just the LET and LEA.

Hope this his help and good luck.

Hi guys

It's been a while since I posted on this thread. I gained my OTSR with VETASSESS back in 2011 and moved to NSW and paid for my Tradespersons Certificate, and worked under supervision of a local company.

As my background was oil and gas based, I took an overseas FIFO job which means I was no longer working for an Australian employer and not gaining Australian experience.

I'm in QLD at the moment and was thinking about going through the full loicensing process again but I am wondering if things have changed in the last 4 years. Do I need to apply to a nearby RTO (like TAFE) to get my qualifications assessed and complete gap training?

Thanks

Mark

Hi Simon ,we come to Oz on a sponsored visa and I was de facto but we now have permanent residency . No I have not gained my OTSR yet . Does future skills do the preparation courses then ? I would need to do that course .

Thanks for for the advice . Pozza .

Pozza, as far as I know futureskills run the preparation course, I sat mine in the UK before coming over but contact them, I'm sure they will. I would advise to do it, the exam isn't that hard once you have an idea of what is going to be in it. No problem for the advice, glad I could help someone else out.

Mark, read my post above the one you made yesterday, it has an explanation of the process. Yes you need to contact a tafe college.

Hi guys,

I need help, I am a qualified electrician in the uk and are wanting to Australia. What would the best way to approach this because I am only 21 and have been an Electrician for 18 months, Would I be better going for a working holiday visa or going for a skilled visa?

And what is need for going through each route?

Any help is much appreciated as I am desperate to get back into Australia.

Pm2112, the skilled visa will be by far the most expensive route for you to take but will allow you to work as an electrician while in Oz. It's not an easy or quick route. I have given an explanation on the previous page so have a read of that.

Your only problem with coming on a skilled visa is you may struggle to hit the points criteria as you have not been working long enough after qualifying to gain any extra points. You would need to speak to a migration agent about that though, just keep it in mind.

Pm2112, the skilled visa will be by far the most expensive route for you to take but will allow you to work as an electrician while in Oz. It's not an easy or quick route. I have given an explanation on the previous page so have a read of that.

Your only problem with coming on a skilled visa is you may struggle to hit the points criteria as you have not been working long enough after qualifying to gain any extra points. You would need to speak to a migration agent about that though, just keep it in mind.

The skilled visa will not allow him to work as an electrician. A visa does not mean you are licensed, he will still need to gain an Electrical licence in whatever state he chooses to go to.

AJ, that is correct, but to gain a skilled visa, you have to complete the OTSR to prove you are a competent electrician, which will allow you to apply for a supervised workers licence and enrol on the gap training on arrival in Australia. have explained the process once an OTSR has been achieved in a previous post.

• 4 weeks later...

After some advice if possible. We moved to WA in 2009. Hubby got skills assessed through Vetassess for visa and when we arrived he did the two week sparky course and then got his A licence. He has worked at several companies since then. He has recently applied for a job with Downers on the Wheatstone project and they have asked him for a copy of his ARTC. Now we don't think he ever got that but they are saying that he has to have it before he can be mobilised.

Has anyone else had this problem? I understand there were some issues with energy safety processing licences wrong but trying to find any concrete information is proving to be a nightmare!!

Hi Tracy, as far as I am aware, the OTSR replaced the ARTC. If your husband had his skills assessed by vetassess then he would have completed his OTSR as long as it was in the last few years. I am unaware if the OTSR was bought in before 2009 though I'm afraid. It sounds like the company is still looking for the old qualification and you should be able to explain that the new OTSR is the equivalent.

http://www.tradesrecognitionaustralia.gov.au/news/pages/australian-recognised-trade-certificate.aspx

Successful applicants in non-licensed trades are awarded an AQF qualification (generally a Certificate III) for their trade. Successful applicants in the licensed trades (Air conditioning and Refrigeration Mechanic, Electrician (General) and Electrician (Special Class)) receive an Offshore Technical Skills Record (OTSR.

• 4 weeks later...

Hey

can anyone advise on the best way to get sponsorship for my friend. He has done the skills assessment and ielts (20 points) but he is over 40 so lost points there and also only has 5 years of electrician work experience. He is on 55 points so has been recommended to get a sponser but finding this a bit tricky. Lots of CVs been sent and emails but no movement?

Thanks

Hey

can anyone advise on the best way to get sponsorship for my friend. He has done the skills assessment and ielts (20 points) but he is over 40 so lost points there and also only has 5 years of electrician work experience. He is on 55 points so has been recommended to get a sponser but finding this a bit tricky. Lots of CVs been sent and emails but no movement?

Thanks

Try state sponsorship. ..you jump the waiting que.!! 5 extra points too.