Guest James.S

if you really want to know what its like here, its blowing a gale and when the rain hits your face, it feels like you're in the ring with tyson. Anyone wonder why i want out! Australia is the great unknown for us. 2 of her sisters have emigrated to Melbourne a few years ago, and they rave about the place. I'm 30 now and regretting not doing it younger, and i'll be damned getting to 60 and regretting not doing it at all.

Back out the Spa now (Its in the back garden under cover).

I like you i must say your Ok, & with that positive attitude you shall be fine for the future, regarding the weather in Scotland i was there mate at the end of may this year in Edinburgh it was P1ssing down for 2 days out of the 4 we stayed some 400 meters from Hibs football ground & i can also say Weathspoons in Edinburgh is the best for Beer & decent food.

we love melbourne you get the 4 seasons & more than once per year but when its hot its Bloody hot & we do get a nice change after about 5 days of hellish weather.

art

As an nearly Australian qualified electrician (final gap training exam in November ) who has gone through the artc route

i feel that this thread is very damaging and distressing to many electricians who wish to move to oz

Over the past two years I have witnessed a lot of electricians from the uk go through extreme financial hardship with many returning home because of misinformation provided through many different sources

as someone who is Australian born and raised with no wife or kids of my own i contemplated returning to live in the UK myself due to the complete mess around that this whole process is (lived there for 13 years)

now that i have completed this (nearly) i feel that i have valuable information (like many others do ) that could assist others who wish to immigrate as an electrician

If this "poms in oz forum" really wants to help it needs to remove this thread of outdated information as a sticky and start a new thread (as a sticky) that is

dont get me wrong there is a fair bit of good information here but it is both the older information and those who reply that went through the older processes that are causing problems for new applicants/immigrants

so mods and senior members what do you think ?

As somebody who is going through the new process why don't you write all you have done in a new thread.. Things have changed ( for the worse) so tell people what they have to do

Surely people reading this thread realise that the only relevant part is the most recent threads? The system has changed constantly and the migration route has too. And even at that it still differs in states as well as in there is still a loophole to get a SA license with an ARTC but not an OSTR.

Best advice that can be given is too think long and hard before you start this journey. It is a lot of hassle and stress especially if you have a family and you will be exploited by employers when you arrive and apply for hundreds of jobs. Plenty of unemployed electricians in WA now and unless you are somebodys buddy it is very hard to get employed unless you willing to work for $30 ph which would just cover your weekly bills and no more at a push.

I was one of the first to complete the gap training so i am well aware of what is required. It took me around 7-8 months at 50 hours per week. Yes if you work in the mines it will be quicker but you are not counting the non working weeks according to these easy to get jobs on 8 and 6 rosters your calculation would still take 30 weeks not 15!!!!!!! And besides there is problems with getting booked onto the comms course which those of us who are permanent migrants have to do as we had to do Vetassess to migrate. Holiday visas do not so can do an ARTC. And from what i hear some people now cant do the capstone until next year as it is fully booked. You make it sound like there are loads of jobs out there but that is very far from the truth. Most mines have completed the construction stage apart from a couple of projects with no new ones coming up. Plenty of sparks contracts ending or getting laid off. Not to mention the fact that the union companies have been striking in Perth due to the companies trying to bring in pay cuts and i think that paints a truer picture.

Guest tim sims

Hi there, I got here with my family at the beginning of August, Sunshine coast, Qld. As regards your qualifications from the uk, they don't stand up here. After i done my vetasses trade test, I done a offshore licencing course in london, not running anymore, but when i got here i had to do a final exam in Perth, now once you have a licence in one state you can transfer to each state for a fee, WA-QLD $68. Try the college in Perth where i done my final exam as there were some lads there doing a two week course to get their licence. http://www.cet.asn.au Also when your here you need a white card - Health and safety $80, safe working at heights $250, CPR and LVR $80, confined space working $360, EWP $600, data cabling $750 the more tickets you have the more chance of work, not easy to get into mines as everybody wants experience but working in cities as a normal spark is about $30 - $45 an hour plus van plus pension etc, cost of living isn't to bad if you shop around. its not easy out here but the lifestyle is worth it. most sites work 6-2.30/3ish then finish down to the beach with the kids and have a bbq, everyday!

Hi there, I got here with my family at the beginning of August, Sunshine coast, Qld. As regards your qualifications from the uk, they don't stand up here. After i done my vetasses trade test, I done a offshore licencing course in london, not running anymore, but when i got here i had to do a final exam in Perth, now once you have a licence in one state you can transfer to each state for a fee, WA-QLD $68. Try the college in Perth where i done my final exam as there were some lads there doing a two week course to get their licence. www.cet.asn.au Also when your here you need a white card - Health and safety $80, safe working at heights $250, CPR and LVR $80, confined space working $360, EWP $600, data cabling $750 the more tickets you have the more chance of work, not easy to get into mines as everybody wants experience but working in cities as a normal spark is about $30 - $45 an hour plus van plus pension etc, cost of living isn't to bad if you shop around. its not easy out here but the lifestyle is worth it. most sites work 6-2.30/3ish then finish down to the beach with the kids and have a bbq, everyday!

The 2 week course in WA was changed to gap training for those with OSTR last July and ARTC in January this year. CET can't do electrical course for overseas electricians anymore only Polytechnic West and it is 1 years gap training.

• 3 weeks later...

No probs! You are one of the lucky buggers that got to do the 2 week nobody fails cheap as chips course at CET. I am just bitter because I should have had the same but the Bastards held off sending my electrical permit till after the changes so they could fleece me for more money and help keep a TAFE in one of Perths worst areas open.

The whole construction industry here is a disgrace. Industrial sparky work here is like domestic in the UK lol. TPS and plastic conduit LMAO. Houses that are like sheds. Yet we sparks have to go do a 1 year course to learn about how all cables in a 16A socket circuit go back to a joint box in a house attic as this is the best way to do it. The trade test practical is a bit of wood with a couple of sockets that you can throw the cables behind no clips etc and connect a piece of **** db. No wonder the standard is useless .In the UK we have to do metal conduit , trunking , Pyro and it has to look neat.

The whole construction industry here is a disgrace. Industrial sparky work here is like domestic in the UK lol. TPS and plastic conduit LMAO. Houses that are like sheds. Yet we sparks have to go do a 1 year course to learn about how all cables in a 16A socket circuit go back to a joint box in a house attic as this is the best way to do it. The trade test practical is a bit of wood with a couple of sockets that you can throw the cables behind no clips etc and connect a piece of **** db. No wonder the standard is useless .In the UK we have to do metal conduit , trunking , Pyro and it has to look neat.

I feel the same mate. Feel sory for the lads coming over, I understand things haven't been great since 2009 but I'm hearing a lot more of things getting better.. Heard some blokes are on $30 an hour in perth now.. Big gamble for a man and his family considering the cost of it here

I have no idea how often it is run but i would guess you would have to book a few months in advance best thing to do is call or email them and ask. CET Balcatta can't do the gap training unless that has changed recently it is only Polytechnic West that can do the gap training .

Hey Colin

Hope your well mate. Just giving all the heads up that you can now do your gap training at CET. after a constant battle of trying to get Polytechnic to respond to emails, phone calls etc regarding a date for my capstone, (pass capstone = A grade licence) i had little or no choice but to ring energy safety to get my Restricted licence extended and after getting a telling off that i should have completed my gap training by now and that it cant be the college thats at fault, they extended the licence and told me that CET is now running the course to take the load off Polytechnic.

If you gonna go through this i would seriously go through the CET. CET is privately run Polytechnic is goverment funded.

Finally have a date in november for my capstone.

The nightmare will hopefully soon be over!!!:arghh:

Hey Colin

Hope your well mate. Just giving all the heads up that you can now do your gap training at CET. after a constant battle of trying to get Polytechnic to respond to emails, phone calls etc regarding a date for my capstone, (pass capstone = A grade licence) i had little or no choice but to ring energy safety to get my Restricted licence extended and after getting a telling off that i should have completed my gap training by now and that it cant be the college thats at fault, they extended the licence and told me that CET is now running the course to take the load off Polytechnic.

If you gonna go through this i would seriously go through the CET. CET is privately run Polytechnic is goverment funded.

Wish we had known sooner husband has just done the 2 week course which looks about $600 cheaper at CET!! Would he be able to do the capstone through CET or go back to Thornnlie? Jandakot is closer to us .

Hey Colin

I am good thanks. That is ridiculous how long you have had to wait for a capstone date, at least your almost there. As for the restricted license mines almost ran out and I was one of the first to complete the gap training, there must be loads of people having to extend theirs so that's a joke too. CET would be a far better option for anybody coming over now as Polytechnic West is a dump and very disorganized.

I've just done my comms course in September, and the capstone is booked for the start of December. And I arrived in Sept 2012!! Fair enough I was in holiday mode for the first 6 month, but keep yer eye on the ball because the hoops you have to jump through start to get to you. I think it takes about a month after all this to send paperwork to vetassess etc before you get your license aswell.

Hi there I'm new to this site so I don't really know what I'm doing.

Just a quick one regarding work for electricians. I'm moving to Melbourne in November and have just booked my LEA to qualify as A Grade. Iv been told that because I have my TRA in electrical mechanic I don't have to do the 12 month training thing?? Is this correct?

Also does anyone who off any sites where I can look for work or if any one knows of any work?

Cheers

Danny

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

• 4 weeks later...

Hi long shot but my husband is a sparky with over 11 years experience (not worth much over here I know!) living in Melbourne. He's done Vetassess and been looking for work for two months now. We've emailed cvs to electrical contractors/ companies in Melbourne and I was just wondering if anyone has or knows someone/companies that could help him out as an L grade or trades assistant?

Grateful for any help or advice. Thanks

Hi long shot but my husband is a sparky with over 11 years experience (not worth much over here I know!) living in Melbourne. He's done Vetassess and been looking for work for two months now. We've emailed cvs to electrical contractors/ companies in Melbourne and I was just wondering if anyone has or knows someone/companies that could help him out as an L grade or trades assistant?

Grateful for any help or advice. Thanks ?

he shall struggle to obtain work as a TA in any state sorry to say did you apply to migrate via Vet he can do the short course at Tafe (College) & then book in at EPIC to do the A class exams there are now a number of exams & its not easy at all sorry to say.

arthur