Guest James.S

Guest James.S
Hi,

I’m not English but I’m currently living in England and I’m really worried about compiling several pages of references for my employers. Could you give me some tips or links where I could find some samples?

Hi, i never found any templates online for the references, not sure if some-one else could help with that...

The main advice I had from my agent though was just to get as much detail in as possible, dates especially important, it doesn't matter if the reference is pages long, the more info the better..!

Good luck, all the best,

James...

:jimlad:

Guest James.S
This thread is great. My OH is an electrican (16yrs experience). We have been toying with emigrating for 5yrs now and have finally made the decision to go for it!! We are hoping to get an invitiation to an Expo in June and I am hoping to book OH in for the July Vetassess (apparently costs about £1000)...Is this the way forward??? What do we need to do next???

We hope to move to Brisbane/Gold Coast - what are his prospects of getting a job???

It all seems very confusing to me :wacko: lol

Thanks in advance

Hi, yes Vetassess is the way forward regarding proving his trade, you have to complete a whole application with paper proof of experiance and qualifications, once that is done then you get registered for the practicle, it all takes some time though, so to get onto the July assessment you better get things under way quite soon...

Have you started the visa application yet..? or are you doing it without one..?

Either way to be able to apply for a 175 or skills based visa using your O/H's trade then getting the Vetassess underway is the best place to start any how..

Don't worry it's not that confusing, there are just quite a few steps to the whole thing... just go one at a time and it wil all be fine..!

Good luck..

James...

Guest bigmove2009

Thanks!

I have been trawling this site for ideas and info and have found everyone very helpful. We have a guy from Visa bureau ring ing tonight so will take it from there :o)

My only worry is if we got there and OH couldn't get a job! But I guess you just have to take a chance!

Cheers

Guest James.S
Thanks!

I have been trawling this site for ideas and info and have found everyone very helpful. We have a guy from Visa bureau ring ing tonight so will take it from there :o)

My only worry is if we got there and OH couldn't get a job! But I guess you just have to take a chance!

Cheers

Don't worry, the way things are looking there is loads of work for electricians up on the Gold coast / Brisbane direction right now and for a good while... just trust it will all be as you need it to be and everything will be just fine!

James...

Hi James,

My other half Scott is doing his vetassess tomorrow in london, and you have been a great source of info... so firstly thanks for that !

Also wondering if it is acceptable to take in notes with you, Formulas...etc.

Or if he does should he hide them!

Do the assessors allow notes or not???

Thanks again

Tina and Scott

Guest James.S
Hi James,

My other half Scott is doing his vetassess tomorrow in london, and you have been a great source of info... so firstly thanks for that !

Thanks again

Tina and Scott

Hi Tina & Scott,

The honest answer is i don't know....

I could not find anywhere when doing my Vetassess the 'rule' that you could not take notes in with you, however my feeling was that the whole point of the test is to assess your knowledge so having notes could go against you.. However on the other hand it could show focus and an ability to know what you need to know but have a difficulty to remember.

I did take notes in with me for all of the formulas as i always tend to get mixed up with them, i did not make a point of looking at them but did sneek a peak now and then, what i decided to say if i got pulled up on it was yes i have notes as i get mixed up on the formulas and i even keep notes with me when doing calculations when at work so there's no difference.. (maximum demand when doing a domestic certificate or calcutaing cable carrying capacities for example)..!

So i guess my answer is if you need them take them, but be honest about it if challenged, that way i figurre you can't go wrong..!

All the best, let me know how it all goes..

James...

Guest Daz & Claire
hello mark. thanks for posting your vetassess experience.

i am studying for the test at the moment. i am a domestic and light commercial electrician, so covering the stuff that i leraned while doing C&G 1+2. the theory i am happy with, its mostly the motor and resistor part and the isolation process i am looking for info on.

thanks

Andy H

Don't worry to much about the resistor part i totally fluffed it. and still passed. The examiners were really nice, and where more interested about the work you do at the moment. They ask you to write down your main electrical activities on a form.

Good luck

Darren

Guest Daz & Claire

Hi All,:laugh:

Update on our status.:cool:

Sent Visa off in june 08 with ielts and police checks.

Meds requested 9th jan. (by email)

Meds done feb 5th

Case officer to reassess visa in late march.

Fingers crossed, and were getting very excited. still need to sell the house, Bummer as prices dropped so much. and echange rate isn't that good . But there you go. Plan to move by end of July to North Brisbane or Sunshine coast near to friends.

Welsh Wollys (Daz & Claire):jiggy:

Guest James.S
Hi All,:laugh:

Update on our status.

Sent Visa off in june 08 with ielts and police checks.

Meds requested 9th jan. (by email)

Meds done feb 5th

Case officer to reassess visa in late march.

Fingers crossed, and were getting very excited. still need to sell the house, Bummer as prices dropped so much. and echange rate isn't that good . But there you go. Plan to move by end of July to North Brisbane or Sunshine coast near to friends.

Welsh Wollys (Daz & Claire):jiggy:

Good for you, fingers crossed it happens nice and quickly...

As you are obviously in the good books with DIAC is there any chance you could get them to speed up my visa as well..!

James...

Hi James,

Thanks again

Tina and Scott

hi tina,

im esthapan the sparky.hw was the vetassess test of ur hus.?was it easy?what were the written Q's?wat was the prac.?

plz reply,

esthapan.

hi james,

my assment in March.........getting ready.

can i expect any Q's fron convertion table.viz. Inch to cm, Km to Mile,Mtr to foot...etc?

anything from earth testing methods?

do i need to write the procedure of wiring n' testing of it?

should i indicate the terminal numbers of DoL like... 95-96 for overload trip..etc?

regards,

esthapan.

Guest jasonoldfield

Australia use the metric system mate, need to swot up on earth electrode and the testing of.The dol is no problem, but anything is easy if you have the answera.

Guest James.S
hi james,

my assment in March.........getting ready.

can i expect any Q's fron convertion table.viz. Inch to cm, Km to Mile,Mtr to foot...etc?

anything from earth testing methods?

do i need to write the procedure of wiring n' testing of it?

should i indicate the terminal numbers of DoL like... 95-96 for overload trip..etc?

regards,

esthapan.

Hi Esthapa,

I didn't have to cover any of the aspects you have mentioned.. Nothing for me went all that deep, they just seem to be wanting to get the overall sense of your experiance and knowledge...

Don't panic i'm sure it will all be fine... they are not trying to catch you out with anything, from my experiance they will actualy help to a certain degree..

All the best,

James...

the test that you have to do,from reading this thread, sounds almost identical to the final year exam pratical and written of the city and guilds 2330 course???

Guest Mike&lou

:mad:

Hi guys, sorry I've not posted for a while, it looks like you've been busy James ! I just wanted to give an update on the sparky situation in NSW. I did two weeks trial with a small electrical firm and then got offered a permanent position, which is good although the money isn't brill. I started at Newcastle TAFE on Monday and learnt something that will affect sparkies coming to NSW at least. The course that I'm enrolled on runs till September when the Capstone tests take place, which if passed goes towards the A License. I was told by the man in charge that this course will no longer be available and the replacement course will currently take around 3 YEARS of night classes to complete! As you will realise this is another massive hurdle to overcome unless they can ammend the situation. The guy who runs the course is absolutely dissmayed at this but it is out of his hands. I think that anyone coming needs to look into this and that if going to SA to do the short Regs couse and PEER distance Learning if that is possible, is going to be the easier option.

Sorry if this info upsets you, it does seem rather stupid, but the Aussies do like everyone to sit there tests no matter how quallified you are,

Mark

Hi everyone,been a while since i posted on here as i thght nothing to worry about any more as im just waiting for a case officer,and i know wht to expect when i get there, then this bombshell...Has this been verified by anyone else? can they do it, have a time served sparks to all this ****e all over again,i know that there was gonna be some college work to do, and log books to fill in but it was not gonna take longer than six months...now they are saying 3yrs??. Im definately phoning NSW regulator monday tto verify this and find out whats going on.

I have looked at the PEER course in the meantime and they have told me that you only have to do long distance learning,sit the regs and if you pass you get licensed 28 days later.. How is it possible that one state can differ so much from another?..

If any one has any thoughts on this pls post,and if you have answers pls tell the rest of us,this is just getting crazy..

Guest leeob77
:mad:

Hi everyone,been a while since i posted on here as i thght nothing to worry about any more as im just waiting for a case officer,and i know wht to expect when i get there, then this bombshell...Has this been verified by anyone else? can they do it, have a time served sparks to all this ****e all over again,i know that there was gonna be some college work to do, and log books to fill in but it was not gonna take longer than six months...now they are saying 3yrs??. Im definately phoning NSW regulator monday tto verify this and find out whats going on.

I have looked at the PEER course in the meantime and they have told me that you only have to do long distance learning,sit the regs and if you pass you get licensed 28 days later.. How is it possible that one state can differ so much from another?..

If any one has any thoughts on this pls post,and if you have answers pls tell the rest of us,this is just getting crazy..

found out that the peer route has also been closed off for anyone who has been assessed by vetassess. you will have to apply for a restricted license and work supervised until you complete the relevant 'gap training'. once you have completed this training you can apply to have the restrictions removed from your SA license.

only people assessed by tra and in posession of an artc certificate can still slip through via the peer route.

no idea what the gap training will involve.

they get you every way!

good luck.

lee.

Guest Mike&lou

Hi Leeob,thanks for the reply mate,when did you speak to vetasses, cause i spoke to them about 2 weeks ago and the course was stil running, then this crap, I was told by the different regulatory bodies NSW WA SA QEEUNSLAND that the gap training involves everyting that you have missed out in vetasses,you will still have to complete another 25 percentage roughly.And you have to enroll in college and do cert III ELECTROTECHNOLOGY. But even this is not great because you could work for one employer and just do one type of work for months,and thus not complete your required units for A license

Guest leeob77

the change is with the way the OCBA in adelaide issue licenses. the peer course is still running, i was there last month sitting my exam while in oz on validation trip.

we asked at peer what would be happening with regards to people coming over who have done vetassess. they said that there wouldnt be any point enrolling as the ocba had come up with a different format for them.

i emailed ocba when i got back and they said that the criteria for people with vetassess would be to apply for restricted license then work under supervision until you had done the relevant gap training.

i think that they wanted a way to bring it more in line with the rest of oz.

however i do think there may still a way round it.

one of the lads there with me was an electrician from the uk who went on his wifes visa. so he applied for an artc from tra when he was in oz. he did the peer course and got his license same as me.

so what would be to stop anyone else applying for an artc from the tra in addition to the vetassess certificate? then the peer route might still be an option.

lee.

Guest Daz & Claire
the change is with the way the OCBA in adelaide issue licenses. the peer course is still running, i was there last month sitting my exam while in oz on validation trip.

we asked at peer what would be happening with regards to people coming over who have done vetassess. they said that there wouldnt be any point enrolling as the ocba had come up with a different format for them.

i emailed ocba when i got back and they said that the criteria for people with vetassess would be to apply for restricted license then work under supervision until you had done the relevant gap training.

i think that they wanted a way to bring it more in line with the rest of oz.

however i do think there may still a way round it.

one of the lads there with me was an electrician from the uk who went on his wifes visa. so he applied for an artc from tra when he was in oz. he did the peer course and got his license same as me.

so what would be to stop anyone else applying for an artc from the tra in addition to the vetassess certificate? then the peer route might still be an option.

lee.

What does OCBA stand for?

I planning to be in north brisbane/sunshine coast region by july. Have they had a change of heart on vetassess everywhere in aus.

I can put up with 6 months supervised, but 3 years retraining is taking the PI##.:arghh:

Guest James.S

Hello...

I have been trying to look into this since it was originaly posted but i cannot say whether or not it is true... It was the case that the TAFE course aprox 720 hrs was the main key to being able to apply for the A licence (Other than the PEER route).. and doing time on site etc tec..

I have been in touch with TAFE and they just tell me to contact my local campus to see if there are changes to the course duration as well as look on their website.. All i can get from the website is a pdf of the course content, i can't attach it as it's too big the link should be; https://www.tafensw.edu.au/howex/servlet/Course?Command=GetCourse&CourseNo=9968 (click on the course brochure pdf link top right of the page)..

This however still details the 720 hrs etc... it say's that it is no longer possible to enrol on this course but i think that's just because enrolment ends in Jan unless you can negotiate it with a campus direct..

Has anyone actually had any proof in written form from TAFE that this course is to change..? because as far as i can see it is all the same... maybe panick over... maybe..!

All the best,

James...

Guest leeob77

OCBA is the office of consumer and business affairs (i think!).

they are the governing body for licensing in south australia.

most states seem to be trying to get more in line with each other, and the easiest way to create a cut off is start with vetassess electricians. it does suck though when you consider that the peer route allowed you such a quick way to get licensed. forget 6 or 12 months. i applied for full license after 2 days. arrived a couple of weeks later.

lee.

Guest Mike&lou

OCBA - office of consumer and bussiness affairs.OCBA - Contact us

Just found email from peer 26/01/09 with all the prices and upskilling info for the course gonna ring them t

onight and find out WTF is going on hopefully get in before thay shut the gate,will let everyone know tmrw wht has ben said..

Guest Mark and Ginny

Hi Guys, I don't have any other proof other than the words of the TAFE lecturer. He said that no new applicants for the 9968 course would be accepted but anyone who had enrolled would be able continue with it till they passed. The course I am doing is twice a week for three hours of flexible learning, so far we have just been getting on with the course work ourselves with very little "teaching" involved. We had to purchase our course syllabus for $50 and various books and standards at a cost of around $250. I hope that a different course is available as the current situation is ludicrous. Most of the guys on my course are from the mines and need domestic experience to get there licences, surely it would be better to have a seperate license for that area, as I would be lost working in the mines. Twelve months work experience is going to be long enough never mind 2-3 years.

Mark