Guest James.S

Hi guys,

I have been reading the thread about being a spark and it sounds like a nightmare. I am a spark and I am the main pr on the visa.

i had a full pr about 8 years ago and it ran out but now have a full RRV pr visa again and looking to go this year.

i can't remember what process I did as a agency sorted all the work about 9 year ago, now I need to get my card to work as a project manger or facilities engineer or electrician so I guess that I need to register with someone when I get to oz and then find a jobs is that correct. Thinking Brisbane or Melbourne .....

please help

Hi there,

Have you previously held a licence in Oz. If so then you should contact the licencing department of the State which issued it as you would surely be able to reapply for one. If haven't held one then you may be in possession of an ARTC (Australian Recognised Trade Certificate). If you haven't got one of these then you will need to get one in order to undertake gap training to get a full licence. In Victoria, I believe you have to do a full 12 months training to get a full licence. In Brisbane, I know from personal experience you can get one after 4 months. Having said that it may be easier to find a job in Melbourne than Brisbane.

Regards Derren

Hi guys,

I've just recently arrived in Oz and sorting all my paper work, luckly I have my Fiance who is Aussie and getting a Partner Visa soon, firstly I'm getting my ARTC sorted as the whole process for a license may take longer than the Visa and I need to start to make some bucks.

I have 2330 level 2 and 3 (from a proper college not the 6 weeks), 2356 Level 3 NVQ, 2381 17th edition and nearly 4 years experience but only 3 with references as I left one of my ex employers no very nicely after been unpaid for 2 months back in 2008 when it all went bad in the UK.

Does any one know or had any similar case? Does the TRA consider my qualifications and my experiences enought for the restricted license?

I appreciate any sort of help.

Thanks.

Hi guys,

I've just recently arrived in Oz and sorting all my paper work, luckly I have my Fiance who is Aussie and getting a Partner Visa soon, firstly I'm getting my ARTC sorted as the whole process for a license may take longer than the Visa and I need to start to make some bucks.

I have 2330 level 2 and 3 (from a proper college not the 6 weeks), 2356 Level 3 NVQ, 2381 17th edition and nearly 4 years experience but only 3 with references as I left one of my ex employers no very nicely after been unpaid for 2 months back in 2008 when it all went bad in the UK.

Does any one know or had any similar case? Does the TRA consider my qualifications and my experiences enought for the restricted license?

Thanks.

There may be someone else who can offer more help but I'm fairly sure you have to do a vetassess skills assessment in order to get your provisional license.

There may be someone else who can offer more help but I'm fairly sure you have to do a vetassess skills assessment in order to get your provisional license.

Skyba, I would need a vetassess if I was to get a visa, according to the TRA. All I need is to have my qualifications recognized by the TRA.

Thanks anyway.

Hi guys,

Thanks.

Did you do a full recognised apprenticeship certificate? Not just c&g certificates. If not you will need 7 years employment as a electrician to pass TRA. I arrived in oz with 23 other electricians and only half of them past first time and everyone used the same agent, not to sure the agent was much cop tho.

Did you do a full recognised apprenticeship certificate? Not just c&g certificates. If not you will need 7 years employment as a electrician to pass TRA. I arrived in oz with 23 other electricians and only half of them past first time and everyone used the same agent, not to sure the agent was much cop tho.

Unfortunatly I haven't done an aprenticeship as I was already an adult working as a mate when I done my NVQ, I have e-mailed then as on the phone they say is to refer to the aplicant guidelines and there is no any help desk where we could walk in and talk to someone.

I'm better wait for then reply before I decide if send or not.

Was this agent based in oz? which city?

Nice one vardymr2 you may save me 300 bucks...

Thanks.

Rates for TA's here vary between $20-25 an hour, could be more for sparkies but I think it's about the same.

I find that it depends on the experience and qualifications, here in melbs for grade A I've seen from $35-55, if lucky and prepared to work on the mines then can make BIG$$$$.

I spoke to vetassess in QLD and its 2 years post NVQ 3, nothing to do with an apprenticeship! There's no difference between an apprenticeship and doing C&G and an nvq3 other than you're employed by the same company and its paid for by the company rather than the learner. No difference in the course or quals though as I wasn't an "apprentice" but I was in the same class as young lads who were and got the same Certs and did the same NVQ

In most cases now the apprenticeships are a joke, one company here has their lads on an apprenticeship and they skip through the first 2 years of college in a month, they get them passes just about then do the third year and they're doing their NVQ in the second year!

Edited by Skyba

it looks like my electrical career could be over now, i studied at college for 4 years in my mid 20's got cg 2330 level 3 all the regulations and c&g 2391, started life as a floorfinisher and carried on with both jobs for the past 10 yrs, i applied and got my visa through floorfinisher and i decided to apply for an artc for the electrical side of things . it got refused basically saying

1. did not meet paragraph 4 of the criteria for the united kingdom

2.has been employed for not less than 7 years on work ordinarily performed by an electrical tradesperson in that classification and is capable of performing the work of that classification in australia

3. it was unclear from your employment evidence (which showed employment as a floor finisher and an electrician) whether you demonstrated the full range of duties expected of an electrical mechanic over a 7 year period

i declared i have always been self employed and had an informal apprenticeship and even with supporting evidence from 2 different companies and also working on government installations it appears i am deemed not competent enough for australia

:arghh:

Thanks Paul. My husband has a very good reputation round here (not just saying that because I'm his wife lol) he has been offered many positions over years but has always remained loyal to his boss. Who is actually gutted that he wants to go to Oz. However I know that in Perth a lot is based on word of mouth and who you know to get your foot in the door.

We were obviously concerned about the new rules of having to do 12 months log book and that it puts employers off. I just wanted to see what his income would be for 12 months before he got full license.

I spoke to vetassess in QLD and its 2 years post NVQ 3, nothing to do with an apprenticeship! There's no difference between an apprenticeship and doing C&G and an nvq3 other than you're employed by the same company and its paid for by the company rather than the learner. No difference in the course or quals though as I wasn't an "apprentice" but I was in the same class as young lads who were and got the same Certs and did the same NVQ

In most cases now the apprenticeships are a joke, one company here has their lads on an apprenticeship and they skip through the first 2 years of college in a month, they get them passes just about then do the third year and they're doing their NVQ in the second year!

That's great mate, but when did i mention anything about vetassess? I was talking about ARTC TRA. Completely different things and it doesn't matter if you have a nvq level 3 its if you actually did an apprenticeship. I didn't do a apprenticeship but i do have a nvq level 3. You need a certificate from a recognised apprenticeship such as jbl or even a tech college to say you carried out the full 4 years.

Edited by vardymr2

hi thanks for the link. what I need to know now is do I have to have a apprenticeship, I have 14 years experience, already have my working holiday visa and just need something so that I can work as a spark over there, I have passed the city & guilds level 2 and 3 and 17th edition

Its all really confusing, can I get a ARTC before I go to australia? what exactly will I need if I cant because getting stuff sent to me will be almost impossible once I am out there

thanks

Edited by chrisb6363

That's great mate, but when did i mention anything about vetassess? I was talking about ARTC TRA. Completely different things and it doesn't matter if you have a nvq level 3 its if you actually did an apprenticeship. I didn't do a apprenticeship but i do have a nvq level 3. You need a certificate from a recognised apprenticeship such as jbl or even a tech college to say you carried out the full 4 years.

Sorry, was only trying to pass on some information which would help you.

As per confirming the 4 years I thought they'd go from the dates on your Certs, my first unit credit was I'm 2009 and my NVQ will be dated 2013.

Also, wondering now how I'd manage to get a cert from my college as I was on the apprentice scheme under 1 college and then had to move to another to do my NVQ due to work.

Anyway good luck getting it all sorted.

Edited by Skyba

Hi.. i have a positive skills assesment from tra from 2000 and have restarted my visa application again... i have WA sponsorship, and an invitation from eoi for visa application which is now in process..

What is required for me to gain my grade Aa licence for an industrial electrician. It all seems very vague and confusing...

Any help would be appreciated.

Regards

Brett

Hi.. i have a positive skills assesment from tra from 2000 and have restarted my visa application again... i have WA sponsorship, and an invitation from eoi for visa application which is now in process..

What is required for me to gain my grade Aa licence for an industrial electrician. It all seems very vague and confusing...

Any help would be appreciated.

Regards

Brett

You will have to apply to energy safety for permission to enrol on the college of electrical training course. They may insist that you now do the dreaded gap training or they may let you do the 2 week course which costs around $2500 once passed you will then need to re apply to energy safety for an A grade licence then away you go

Thanks Paul. My husband has a very good reputation round here (not just saying that because I'm his wife lol) he has been offered many positions over years but has always remained loyal to his boss. Who is actually gutted that he wants to go to Oz. However I know that in Perth a lot is based on word of mouth and who you know to get your foot in the door.

We were obviously concerned about the new rules of having to do 12 months log book and that it puts employers off. I just wanted to see what his income would be for 12 months before he got full license.

Hi

Im working as a TA at present on a gold mine. Im earning around $40 an hour. General take home for a 4 week swing is $9-10,000

You have to look at it over a five week swing though, because on your weeks leave you dont earn anything so divide it over 5 weeks ($2000 a week). You need a minimum of $4000 a month to survive out here the rest we bank. I wont lie to you. Its a crap exsistance, no life whatsoever except for the week your off. but if you can stick it for 4-6 years you will bank some serious money. and have the lifestyle we all want.

Good luck! it is worth doing!

Hi quick question im a fully qualified spark from the UK coming over in may have a WHV and hear seems to be easier option to get supervised licence?? wondering what proof the tra will want to prov time served, appreticeship etc?? do i need to bring my actual certs or will copies surfice? i have references from current employer on headed paper signed to show time served and range of skills? also my apprenticeship is shown through my C&G certs surely as have achieved levels 1,2,3 and NVQ 3 ???

some pointers would be much appreciated , also application process pointers would be great.

Seems a harsh world for us sparks out in oz, is it really that hard?? I have done a range of work from domestic / industrial and now love automation and control and petrochemeical oil/gas site work... Im compEx qualified too is there much petrochem work out there??

thanks kyle

Hi Kyle good luck for your trip.

Theres loads of gas work out here and most people in the mining game will tell you its on the verge of booming again. I have my compEX to, but its not reconised out here and you will have to do a) 5 day HA installation course if you want to get into the construction side of it b) the HA inspection course if you want to get into inspections. Before you can do the course you will need to obtain an electrical license for the state your moving to. You cant do the course without it. Course costs will be around $3000 dollars each one. To do any kind of instrumention you will need a level 5 ticket in instrumentation. Again around $4000 dollars to do the course and timescale varies over each state. The above is all rough guessing to costs etc. You can get your skills assesed here http://www.innovation.gov.au/Skills/SkillsAssessment/TradesRecognitionAustralia/AustralianRecognisedTradeCertificate/Pages/default.aspx

Read the guidelines. They suggest what information you need to submit. Your references, certificates etc can be copies but they need certifying by a solicitor, chemist, doctor etc must be in date by 3 months. Never send originals!! asessment will cost around $450 dollars if successful you will then need to do a further course...wiring regs etc

regards