Guest James.S

When you apply for your ARTC it isnt the same form as for your skills assessment from TRA, thats why you see Electrical Mechanic and Electrical fitter. I am too from the same background, maintenance PLC's, SCADA, VSD's etc but although I didnt do too much install work I was capable, like most sparks with our background (17th edition regs certified).

If you look at my previous posts on here you will realise what trouble I went through to obtain my mechanics ARTC and last month I was awarded that so now my ARTC says both electrcial fitter & electrical mechanic. sorry to say but You WILL NOT be awarded with your mechanics ARTC if you were assessed as an electrician special class. If you manage to convince TRA that the majority of your work was installation then you may get the opportunity to sit a trade test. This is not easy, questions that you get no preparation for and although the college tutor assessed me as a competent electrician, TRA thought otherwise. I did not get the required mark on sections of my trade test...you needed to get 75% on each section and for example there were 2 questions on lighting, I got one wrong therefore I failed that section !!!!!! The college couldn't believe it and were on my side but even they said TRA are impossible to deal with !!!! I had to do several courses in lighting, checking & testing etc....and with this I then applied again to TRA which is when I was awarded the Mechanics title.

I stuck with the process as I knew what I was capable of, in total, from first applying it took just under 18 months to gain my Mechanics ARTC so now I am able to sit the ETL course in WA (JAN 2013) this will get me the unrestricted license. If you read other posts of mine you will realise that I wanted the 2 weeks course that the mechanics ARTC allows you to sit. Unless you know the answer to questions like : what is the minimum working pressure of ox-acytelene gas? then you may struggle to get your electrical fitters license in WA !!!!!

And now after all that you get to go and do a 2 week no one can fail course the same as somebody on a holiday visa with little experience and some false references does to get a license! Its a crazy system that seems to reward those with less experience!

When you apply for your ARTC it isnt the same form as for your skills assessment from TRA, thats why you see Electrical Mechanic and Electrical fitter. I am too from the same background, maintenance PLC's, SCADA, VSD's etc but although I didnt do too much install work I was capable, like most sparks with our background (17th edition regs certified).

If you look at my previous posts on here you will realise what trouble I went through to obtain my mechanics ARTC and last month I was awarded that so now my ARTC says both electrcial fitter & electrical mechanic. sorry to say but You WILL NOT be awarded with your mechanics ARTC if you were assessed as an electrician special class. If you manage to convince TRA that the majority of your work was installation then you may get the opportunity to sit a trade test. This is not easy, questions that you get no preparation for and although the college tutor assessed me as a competent electrician, TRA thought otherwise. I did not get the required mark on sections of my trade test...you needed to get 75% on each section and for example there were 2 questions on lighting, I got one wrong therefore I failed that section !!!!!! The college couldn't believe it and were on my side but even they said TRA are impossible to deal with !!!! I had to do several courses in lighting, checking & testing etc....and with this I then applied again to TRA which is when I was awarded the Mechanics title.

I stuck with the process as I knew what I was capable of, in total, from first applying it took just under 18 months to gain my Mechanics ARTC so now I am able to sit the ETL course in WA (JAN 2013) this will get me the unrestricted license. If you read other posts of mine you will realise that I wanted the 2 weeks course that the mechanics ARTC allows you to sit. Unless you know the answer to questions like : what is the minimum working pressure of ox-acytelene gas? then you may struggle to get your electrical fitters license in WA !!!!!

It sounds really crazy what one has to experience just to be allowed to work in their field. As I can see I'm going to have a lot of "fun" in AUS to find a job and support my dependents.

Derren7 was somewhat optimistic about finding a job with el. fitter license. Why did you put so much effort into getting mechanic? Is it your experience that fitters are in a disadvantage in the job market?

I sent an email to TRA to query if my previous assessment from them will somehow help me in the whole process but no answer so far. I'm thinking about going to SA where is should be easier to get our license and then to try to transfer it to NSW (Sydney). But I don't know how doable it is.

Btw, I have no idea about the "working pressure.." :), I guess I'm completely incompetent. I shouldn't have messed around with industrial automation all my life and instead I should have done some TIG welding or whatever the gas is used for..

It sounds really crazy what one has to experience just to be allowed to work in their field. As I can see I'm going to have a lot of "fun" in AUS to find a job and support my dependents.

Derren7 was somewhat optimistic about finding a job with el. fitter license. Why did you put so much effort into getting mechanic? Is it your experience that fitters are in a disadvantage in the job market?

I sent an email to TRA to query if my previous assessment from them will somehow help me in the whole process but no answer so far. I'm thinking about going to SA where is should be easier to get our license and then to try to transfer it to NSW (Sydney). But I don't know how doable it is.

Btw, I have no idea about the "working pressure.." :), I guess I'm completely incompetent. I shouldn't have messed around with industrial automation all my life and instead I should have done some TIG welding or whatever the gas is used for..

The main reason why I wanted the mechanics ARTC was because you are able to sit a 2 week course that refreshes a lot of the stuff you did when you were an apprentice. When I sat the fitters license exam in WA you had no course you just turned up on the day and were confronted with questions like I mentioned. I rang energysafety to ask why we have to sit the exam with no availability to what the exam consists of, his answer was because energysafety dont have the funds for a course for a license that not many people apply for !!!!!!!!!!!!

Also if I decide to go down the install route then I have the license !!!!! I was told by the same person at energysafety, who by the way was clued up, not like a lot of administrative people you deal with in this process, that the fitters license exam was aimed at people who have been involved in a Navy or mining apprenticeship !!!!! the whole process really is a cock up and if Australia do really have a shortage of skilled tradies these organisations need a right good kick up the arse !!!

Derren7 was correct, you will get a job in WA with an electrical license restricted to fitting work only, thats all you need for us less intelligent maintenance sparks !!!!!!

Edited by woodymcfc

The main reason why I wanted the mechanics ARTC was because you are able to sit a 2 week course that refreshes a lot of the stuff you did when you were an apprentice. When I sat the fitters license exam in WA you had no course you just turned up on the day and were confronted with questions like I mentioned. I rang energysafety to ask why we have to sit the exam with no availability to what the exam consists of, his answer was because energysafety dont have the funds for a course for a license that not many people apply for !!!!!!!!!!!!

Also if I decide to go down the install route then I have the license !!!!! I was told by the same person at energysafety, who by the way was clued up, not like a lot of administrative people you deal with in this process, that the fitters license exam was aimed at people who have been involved in a Navy or mining apprenticeship !!!!! the whole process really is a cock up and if Australia do really have a shortage of skilled tradies these organisations need a right good kick up the arse !!!

Derren7 was correct, you will get a job in WA with an electrical license restricted to fitting work only, thats all you need for us less intelligent maintenance sparks !!!!!!

Gary,

how are things your way mate its been a while: what about your lot im speechless mate after last weekend, also what about the Rovers its doom & doom for them

arthur

Gary,

how are things your way mate its been a while: what about your lot im speechless mate after last weekend, also what about the Rovers its doom & doom for them

arthur

Hi Arthur, all good here thanks, how are you? I managed to get a start with a company without my license, they dont seem to be able to get hold of maintenance sparks with experience like I have over here in WA, good news for my job prospects......lets not talk about the derby, witout being biased I think the better team lost on that day, still a long way to go .....

Guest Natalie1981

Hi, I'd like to know has anyone who has come through vetassess route recently been able to get their Artc from the TRA once here? I ask because the TRA won't accept vetassess people, so I just wondered if anyone has had a successful application with them in the last few months? I don't understand how you can get round them finding out about vetassess as you have to state the visa you came and what licensing you have.

If anyone has been successfull in the last couple of months please can you advise on how to fill out the application?

Cheers Natalie

• 2 weeks later...

There's a lot here to flick through...I retrained into Electrical Installation at 34yrs Old through 3 year Nightschool C&G 2330. In that time getting qualies, I've had about 4 years work experience, most of it Domestic & New Build Site, with odd Retail Commercial. I'm more than likely going to use my previous career for any application (if I'm able to) but thought I'd ask if there were avenues for Electrical Improvers? Or does this title not exist in OZ & you're either an Apprentice or an Electrician. Just after another slight option if anybody is aware of others in my shoes trying?

There's a lot here to flick through...I retrained into Electrical Installation at 34yrs Old through 3 year Nightschool C&G 2330. In that time getting qualies, I've had about 4 years work experience, most of it Domestic & New Build Site, with odd Retail Commercial. I'm more than likely going to use my previous career for any application (if I'm able to) but thought I'd ask if there were avenues for Electrical Improvers? Or does this title not exist in OZ & you're either an Apprentice or an Electrician. Just after another slight option if anybody is aware of others in my shoes trying?

Brum1973:

you shall require 7 years post experience for you to be able to apply for migration to Australia sorry to say. if you already have a 1st trade then you can apply under that one regardless if you have not been doing it for Xxxxxx amount of years.

Guest NeilanGemz

Does anyone know if there are any training providers in the Sydney area that offer the gap training required for the A grade license? I have signed up to a course at North Sydney TAFE but they will only run the course if they get 10 people enrolled, and currently they only have 6!!! ahhhh!!! I'm guessing that they are going to cancel running the course AGAIN. If anyone knows of anywhere else (in or around Sydney) that run the gap training that will definately put the course on it would be appreciated. Cheers Guys!!

I could have done it in the UK before I left via www.downundertradies.com but I was leaving too soon and I also would have had to have a stop off in Perth on the way over. Although that now seems like such an easier route than what I am doing :(

Any help is gladly accepted

Thanks

Neil

Does anyone know if there are any training providers in the Sydney area that offer the gap training required for the A grade license? I have signed up to a course at North Sydney TAFE but they will only run the course if they get 10 people enrolled, and currently they only have 6!!! ahhhh!!! I'm guessing that they are going to cancel running the course AGAIN. If anyone knows of anywhere else (in or around Sydney) that run the gap training that will definately put the course on it would be appreciated. Cheers Guys!!

I could have done it in the UK before I left via www.downundertradies.com but I was leaving too soon and I also would have had to have a stop off in Perth on the way over. Although that now seems like such an easier route than what I am doing :(

Any help is gladly accepted

Thanks

Neil

Neil,

you have saved yourself a lot of money mate Down under trades are NOT a recognized RTO so all training they provide is not recognized in Australia, all Training for the trade Must Be done in Australia.

Lots of people are now falling foul to Tradies Down Under thinking they can do the training in the UK & that then makes the pathway a little easier when they get here. NOT so so you have saved a good $3,000 dollars of so.

I've had some more information to read today with regards to the possibility of using my electrical route. Looks like I can use the 190 or 489 Visa route, SS or Regional. I've got 3 years exp, mainly Domestic & New Build with an NICEIC Contractor. I'm being told 3 years would be enough? Perhaps this is to do with the Sponsored route & not the 189 Visa applicants? I wouldn't also be too discontented with any Gap Training or Australian certification as I've only finished my qualies 2 years ago, so I'm still kind of in a books mindset. I'm Single, not bringing over a family or Mortgage concerns, so it's a little easier that way too & I've not got any aspirations as to what State will have me! But I am concerned with the Vetasses route of skills assessment. I know I haven't got the broad range of ability and although I'd be OK on most of it, some of the containment & Motor sections etc are out of my scope due to lack of experience in that area. Does any of this get taken into consideration & you may have to show additional training in OZ or is the assessment a straight acceptance or rejection? I'm not trying to pull any fast ones, I know where I sit in the UK Market - Electrical Improver/Mate and wonder what the situation is for this level? I'm realistically imagining that you're either an Electrician or you're not and nothing in between.

I've had some more information to read today with regards to the possibility of using my electrical route. Looks like I can use the 190 or 489 Visa route, SS or Regional. I've got 3 years exp, mainly Domestic & New Build with an NICEIC Contractor. I'm being told 3 years would be enough? Perhaps this is to do with the Sponsored route & not the 189 Visa applicants? I wouldn't also be too discontented with any Gap Training or Australian certification as I've only finished my qualies 2 years ago, so I'm still kind of in a books mindset. I'm Single, not bringing over a family or Mortgage concerns, so it's a little easier that way too & I've not got any aspirations as to what State will have me! But I am concerned with the Vetasses route of skills assessment. I know I haven't got the broad range of ability and although I'd be OK on most of it, some of the containment & Motor sections etc are out of my scope due to lack of experience in that area. Does any of this get taken into consideration & you may have to show additional training in OZ or is the assessment a straight acceptance or rejection? I'm not trying to pull any fast ones, I know where I sit in the UK Market - Electrical Improver/Mate and wonder what the situation is for this level? I'm realistically imagining that you're either an Electrician or you're not and nothing in between.

You wouldn't pass the paperwork requirement for Vettassess that you have to pass before you are allowed to sit the skills test. They require you to have completed a full apprenticeship. Call Vetassess and speak to them or look at their website and the requirements should be on there. I had to provide a lot of documentation including proof of apprenticeship, 10 years work history, references, copies of further qualifications. My fried who is a carpenter had trouble with his as he couldn't get a reference from a company he served his apprenticeship with over 20 years ago as they no longer trade. To get PR for OZ you will need an apprenticeship and 5 years post apprenticeship experience.

Guest Rimjim82

Hi there. I hope you can help, you seem to be the man in the know. I am a sparky looking to get to oz, I have been put off the PR route due to expense and the mental A license gap year. I am tempted by the WHV route to get the license. I understand they throw the license at sparks if you have a WHV. What do I need to do before getting to oz? Is there any courses, vetasses etc, I would need to do? Surely I don't just turn up and say I'm a spark give me a license please. Hope you can help.

Well if you go on a WHV you would apply to the TRA which you do when you get there. It can take up to 3 months, then you do a 1 week nobody can fail course and that's it. The TRA application is a watered down version of the vetassess paper application, you need to provide proof of apprenticeship, references and declaration about your work activities (If you look at another migration site called british expats theres an electricians forum in there with a lot of info on the TRA application). But........... You can only do this in WA and SA currently, and you can work in NSW without a license, all the other states make you do gap training as well. I was told it was getting changed in WA to gap training for all soon but wether it does or not is anybodys guess. They seem to change the system state to state a lot. If you are intending on coming long term then you would be better jumping through the hoops and getting PR as you may find an employer to sponsor you but if you lose the job you have 28 days to find another and i personally wouldn't like an employer to have that kind of hold over me. Its a minefield and it depends on where you go and it could change by the time you get there!

Edited by colinmaclec

Guest burness86

hi guys, long time since i last posted. been in australia since feb last year, currently working as a postie :-) getting bored now.......

got my artc cert in december and have started looking at booking the lea exams........long waiting list :-(.

Do you think its worth doing the tutorials for the exams or shall i jump straight in to the exams.....as i can book the exams at a much earlier date.

Just wondering if anyone has attempted the exams yet? pretty much got a job lined up when i get the licence.....BUT I WANT IT NOW!!!!!!

Guest sparky1966

Hi

From what ive heard from mates who have done the LEA exams is far better to do the tutorial 1st.I didnt do the LEA ,got mine through peer few yrs ago.

Cheers Dicko

Hi There,

I’m inquiring about a 457 visa and in more detail an electronic trade’s worker 457 visa! I’m curious to know what if any licenses are required for acceptance of this visa through an employer as I work in this field and have a sponsor but where unsure of what if any licenses are required to be able to lodge an application, I know the electricians 457 requires the employee to have TRA, do the same principles apply for the electronic trades worker?

My back ground is im a fully qualified electrician from england with 6 years experience, im coming towards the end of my 2 years working holiday, and my trade recognition got declined because of the small matter that my work statements from my past english employers weren't detailed enough, which is a massive ball ache, because the agent who dealt with my case told me that my certificates were sweet, but the statements needed to be more in depth, i have an employer whos wiling to sponsor me but its not possible now as an electrician as i have to wait again for the work statements to be delivered from england then submit a new application which all in all will take about 4 months to get back. and i dont have 4 months, i have 1 month. and due to rugby league commitments i really cant leave wen my visas up, so were looking for ways around this, and electronics trades worker could be a way in, as i maintain and install solar powered led lights, no wiring involved so no license required! any help would be much obliged

Thank you for taking the time to read my query and I look forward to hearing from you soon,

Yours faithfully

David Wilson

Davwilson84@yahoo.com.au

Well if you go on a WHV you would apply to the TRA which you do when you get there. It can take up to 3 months, then you do a 1 week nobody can fail course and that's it. The TRA application is a watered down version of the vetassess paper application, you need to provide proof of apprenticeship, references and declaration about your work activities (If you look at another migration site called british expats theres an electricians forum in there with a lot of info on the TRA application). But........... You can only do this in WA and SA currently, and you can work in NSW without a license, all the other states make you do gap training as well. I was told it was getting changed in WA to gap training for all soon but wether it does or not is anybodys guess. They seem to change the system state to state a lot. If you are intending on coming long term then you would be better jumping through the hoops and getting PR as you may find an employer to sponsor you but if you lose the job you have 28 days to find another and i personally wouldn't like an employer to have that kind of hold over me. Its a minefield and it depends on where you go and it could change by the time you get there!
e

well how are you getting on wit the gap training? eprofiling system? you think it can be completed within the year?

Help needed artc.

Has anyone who as been granted the artc certificate used self employment towards the 7 years experience?

I haven't completed an apprenticeship but I do have nvq3 and c&g level 3. I have worked as an electrician as an employee for 4 years and 3 years self employed. Do you think I will meet the guidelines? I have 3 years of accounts with 10 references so far from clients.

Help needed artc.

Has anyone who as been granted the artc certificate used self employment towards the 7 years experience?

I haven't completed an apprenticeship but I do have nvq3 and c&g level 3. I have worked as an electrician as an employee for 4 years and 3 years self employed. Do you think I will meet the guidelines? I have 3 years of accounts with 10 references so far from clients.

It may be a problem, i know vetasses require a full apprenticeship and i have heard of people having problems with gaining an artc due to not having completed an apprenticeship.