Guest James.S

No idea yet still to find that out but seeing as the logbook is kinda filled out like a time sheet i am guessing its from when you register

Colinmaclec

Thanks for the update pal. Keep us posted as yo progress. Did you manage to find out if the lads that had the ARTC cert from TRA got it done after the Vetassess?

Many thanks

Don't think any of them did. Mostly sponsored after coming on a WHV. Seems to be a lot of that here as well which again makes life more difficult for us main applicants as its easier to sponsor someone who can get a license easily than deal with gap training and 1 year of restricted license.

Colinmaclec

Thanks for the update pal. Keep us posted as yo progress. Did you manage to find out if the lads that had the ARTC cert from TRA got it done after the Vetassess?

Many thanks

crowded house

have you arrived yet?

r u going to do the 2 week in poly b4 the job starts?

reguards the books colin, r they the same books that was needed for the original 2 week at CET, iv a mate that did that course and has all the books waiting for me?

cheers

crowded house

have you arrived yet?

r u going to do the 2 week in poly b4 the job starts?

reguards the books colin, r they the same books that was needed for the original 2 week at CET, iv a mate that did that course and has all the books waiting for me?

cheers

The regs book is the same but at polytechnic west you need the cable selection book and at cet you don't. You can get them both printed and binded at the library for $56

Colinmaclec

Many thanks

According to what we are being told. Anyone applying for ARTC has to do the gap training now too

Thanks Colin. I emailed the TRA and they said the same thing. At the time i thought that they was just saying that to cover there backside, but obviously they must be doing. Ah well. Keep us posted on your progress. I ve just booked my flight for Saturday got medical on Wednesday before i start work.

good luck crowded house

keep us posted on ur journey :biggrin:

The course is basically like being back in first year of apprenticeship. We are getting taught basic power calcs and about how to wire 2 way light switches! The log book we have to fill out online looks time consuming and we will be sent a project to do from home in the post. We really are being treated as apprentices when we arrive here now!

Yeah we just have to get on with it. The one problem i do see though is for other electricians arriving after us, i just cant see how there will be enough jobs for the amount of electricians arriving. Companies can only employ so may guys with a yrs gap training at once............................................

Yeah we just have to get on with it. The one problem i do see though is for other electricians arriving after us, i just cant see how there will be enough jobs for the amount of electricians arriving. Companies can only employ so may guys with a yrs gap training at once............................................

r u serious?

im planning on arriving march/april 13, but like u said if theres 2 many TA sitting unemployed il b coming to activate and back home..

surely if they see this happening they will do something bout it, is all your class working?

All my class is working(some have been here for 6 months) but that does not tell how many have decided not to pay for the course until they secure jobs. I know i held off actually paying and confirming my booking until i found work as its not just $2000 you pay you are also losing 2 weeks pay or being unable to earn for another 2 weeks. I recently met someone here who couldn't find work and has gave up and went to Sydney. I am not being a doom and gloomer i am just stating how it actually is here.I am working now but i applied for over 100 jobs and got very few replies and those that did said i have a great CV and experience but i am no use without a WA license.Employers would prefer a dummy with a license to a gap trainer. I don't see a lot of jobs advertised for TA's although there are plenty for electricians . I don't know the exact figures but lets say 9000 sparks are accepted to oz per yer? Half go to Perth as everyone thinks there is loads of work here. That's a lot of gap trainers and that's before you even count the number of guys here on WHV. All i am saying is don't arrive here and expect to work straight away and be making 100k

I posted some stuff earlier on this thread. Its basically power calcs and some wiring, first aid, safety and some stuff about motors. After the 2 weeks depends on when you got your restricted from energysafe or whether you done ARTC or Vetassess. Out of interest have you managed to find work yet?

r u serious?

im planning on arriving march/april 13, but like u said if theres 2 many TA sitting unemployed il b coming to activate and back home..

surely if they see this happening they will do something bout it, is all your class working?

NPKA

I ve been here a few days mate done me medical etc. Its true what the others are saying. Theres boat loads of sparkies coming in. Everything is slowing down this time of year. Rentals are a nightmare. Theres 50-60 people turning up for viewings. friend im stopping with is on his 3rd house in 2 years. He says they try putting the rent up, you say no, they ask you to move out. Greed is the true problem here. I went into the bank tuesday and there quite happy to give me mortgage within a month providing im working and that i can pay the deposit needed. I may look at doing that before getting the family out. I would seriously think about coming out on your own before flying your family out. I paid $15 for a pint the other night.

If your not working mate your hammering the savings.

NPKA

I ve been here a few days mate done me medical etc. Its true what the others are saying. Theres boat loads of sparkies coming in. Everything is slowing down this time of year. Rentals are a nightmare. Theres 50-60 people turning up for viewings. friend im stopping with is on his 3rd house in 2 years. He says they try putting the rent up, you say no, they ask you to move out. Greed is the true problem here. I went into the bank tuesday and there quite happy to give me mortgage within a month providing im working and that i can pay the deposit needed. I may look at doing that before getting the family out. I would seriously think about coming out on your own before flying your family out. I paid $15 for a pint the other night.

If your not working mate your hammering the savings.

good to hear u have arrived ok, any date on ur start for work?

all of your info is being talked about a lot lately.. it dosnt seem to b the great picture that has been painted last year.. keep me posted on ur findings:confused:

I think that its kind of reaching saturation point now. So many people have arrived that the jobs are now filled. But they will keep taking us in so we bring our life savings with us and sink them in to the local economy. There's still a lack of decent sparkys lol but seeing as we are 4th yr apprentices we will struggle till we get our licenses!

Col, there seems to be a good amount of jobs on seek.com, it's just a matter of the licensing milarkie. At least you'll be one of the first through the new system.

Crowded House, every house we go to view a rental its the same crack- about 20-30 people at each appointment. We're only in a small suburb 40 mins south of Perth, but it is hard. And yeh, the 100k is a long way off. I'm on 40hrs at $35ph, and take rental at $450 and then bills ($300ish) then you aint got much left to save for a house.

But on a more positive note its a great lifestyle, and if you like being outdoors then its defo worth sticking it out. Better jobs will come along, its better than cold damp grey England!

I do see a lot of jobs on seek and i have applied to loads of them with very few replies and those that did reply said no license thx but no thx. I think a lot of the jobs advertised on seek are just collecting CV's lol!. Yes i agree about the lifestyle being great. What your being paid is pretty good, its more than most i have spoken too that have recently arrived.

Anyone know how long it takes to get the results from the Vetassess electrical assessment (UK)? I did mine almost three weeks ago but still haven't heard anything from them. How long have any of you guys waited for the results? Thanks for any info.:biggrin:

Have you checked on the website ? Think it was 2 weeks for OH but certificate took longer to come in post . They did scan it via email which I used for visa app & State sponsorship