Guest James.S

Guest london2oz

Hi I wonder if anyone can answer my question. My boyfriend has worked for a building firm since he was 16 (hes now 26) and they trained him up as an electrician. They have always refused to pay for him to get his qualifications (this means they can pay him less) but he can do everything an electrician can and rewires entire houses by himself, they then just get a qualified sparks to sign it off. He's now paying for the qualification himself and studying from home. My question is, when we apply for our visas would they give him a skilled one if he has just qualified and didnt have much post qualificiation experience? Would they take the 10 years of unqualified experience into account?

Crowded house...

Is it possible to apply for the restricted licence from energy safe from uk, do u use an Oz address?

What about booking the 2 week grade a course from uk?

Interested to know about this. Were at the meds & police checks stage...

Crowded house...

Is it possible to apply for the restricted licence from energy safe from uk, do u use an Oz address?

What about booking the 2 week grade a course from uk?

Interested to know about this. Were at the meds & police checks stage...

Hi Pal

Dont quote me on this but i ve heard recently that you can apply to energy safe from the uk. They send you the acceptance letter. you then have a restricted license and have to do a log book which gets signed of by an A grade electrician while you do different types of work. Once the log book is done you can then progress to do the gap training at one of the colleges such as CET then once you succesfully pass that you can apply for your A license. this process can take between 6months to a year??? very strange process....

The other process i ve heard is that you apply to energy safe and receive your acceptance letter, go straight to the two week course at CET or other college then when passed you get your a license in a few weeks???? Dont really know whats going of mate. Theres so many conflicting storys on it that im affraid you probably wont find out until we start the process over there mate.

When its all done and we have our A grades we can meet up get very drunk and laugh at all the bull **** we have had to go through to get out there and start bloody work!!!

If anyone who know s the process can clarify on here how it actually is, I would be bloody dam grateful. Me heads a shed!!:wacko:

Hi I wonder if anyone can answer my question. My boyfriend has worked for a building firm since he was 16 (hes now 26) and they trained him up as an electrician. They have always refused to pay for him to get his qualifications (this means they can pay him less) but he can do everything an electrician can and rewires entire houses by himself, they then just get a qualified sparks to sign it off. He's now paying for the qualification himself and studying from home. My question is, when we apply for our visas would they give him a skilled one if he has just qualified and didnt have much post qualificiation experience? Would they take the 10 years of unqualified experience into account?

will you be applying through Vetasses? You shouldnt have a problem as long as you can prove your six year work history with references etc The ultimate test will be getting through there paper assesment and then the practical. Once you have these and apply for the visa you will need to prove 8 year history for a 176 state sponsered visa.

Guest london2oz
will you be applying through Vetasses? You shouldnt have a problem as long as you can prove your six year work history with references etc The ultimate test will be getting through there paper assesment and then the practical. Once you have these and apply for the visa you will need to prove 8 year history for a 176 state sponsered visa.

I have no idea who we'll be applying through as we've not started the process yet (waiting til OH is qualified, and ive finished my degree). Work history shouldnt be a problem as he's worked for the same firm for the last ten years. Thanks for your reply!

Hi Pal

Dont quote me on this but i ve heard recently that you can apply to energy safe from the uk. They send you the acceptance letter. you then have a restricted license and have to do a log book which gets signed of by an A grade electrician while you do different types of work. Once the log book is done you can then progress to do the gap training at one of the colleges such as CET then once you succesfully pass that you can apply for your A license. this process can take between 6months to a year??? very strange process....

The other process i ve heard is that you apply to energy safe and receive your acceptance letter, go straight to the two week course at CET or other college then when passed you get your a license in a few weeks???? Dont really know whats going of mate. Theres so many conflicting storys on it that im affraid you probably wont find out until we start the process over there mate.

When its all done and we have our A grades we can meet up get very drunk and laugh at all the bull **** we have had to go through to get out there and start bloody work!!!

If anyone who know s the process can clarify on here how it actually is, I would be bloody dam grateful. Me heads a shed!!:wacko:

Why complain about local standards when your coming from far a field. Respect what the australian authorities do as this is a system that recognises proper electricians who have had proper training, proper apprentices and a standard that has to be met. It took me 5 months to get my licence but you cannot complain about the standard that has to be met. By the way I have recently heard that electricians that came here 3 months ago still do not have the required A grade card.

Why complain about local standards when your coming from far a field. Respect what the australian authorities do as this is a system that recognises proper electricians who have had proper training, proper apprentices and a standard that has to be met. It took me 5 months to get my licence but you cannot complain about the standard that has to be met. By the way I have recently heard that electricians that came here 3 months ago still do not have the required A grade card.

How can you say im complaining about standards??????? What i am complaining about is the lack of information available for the correct route to gaining your A license. When i did the Vetasses in 2008, the Assesor of the practical exam even told me how much of a nightmare it was gonna be to find out what your next step is. Vetasses sent me a letter to say you will need to do gap training at a college to get your level 3 (if you went down that route). Most colleges i emailed in Queensland had never even heard of Vetasess, never mind what was to be done next for the gap training. Yes the standards are high and we obviously need to be re-trained to there regulations and way of doing things. Im happy with that and willing to do it. But There s little clarity.

I have a friend who applied to energy safe who in turn told him he needed to do gap training. He went to CET to do his 2 week course. when he completed the course he asked the Lecturer about the gap training in which he replied "what gap training" 3 weeks later he got his A licence from the very same place that told him he would need to do gap training???!!

maybe you can tell us what you had to do and then i can add a like to the few you have.

I have no idea who we'll be applying through as we've not started the process yet (waiting til OH is qualified, and ive finished my degree). Work history shouldnt be a problem as he's worked for the same firm for the last ten years. Thanks for your reply!

4 years ago when i did the Vetasess route. From what i can remember the main thing they wanted to know was that you had worked in that ocupation for more than 6 years. They do want to see Training and certification but more importantly experience. I dont know if its still the same. I think you will be good to apply now. Your partner must have a number of Certificates available to send.

Contact Vetasess and see what they say or look on there site to see if your eligable. I dont know if your aware of Skill select. It comes in July time. You have to be invited to apply for a visa then from employer your c.v goes on a database and employers looking for skilled labour can invite you to apply.

Here s a link to general electrician application through Vetasess: http://www.vetassess.com.au/download/workassess/457%20Fact%20Sheet%20-%20Electrician%20(General).pdf

4 years ago when i did the Vetasess route. From what i can remember the main thing they wanted to know was that you had worked in that ocupation for more than 6 years. They do want to see Training and certification but more importantly experience. I dont know if its still the same. I think you will be good to apply now. Your partner must have a number of Certificates available to send.

Contact Vetasess and see what they say or look on there site to see if your eligable. I dont know if your aware of Skill select. It comes in July time. You have to be invited to apply for a visa then from employer your c.v goes on a database and employers looking for skilled labour can invite you to apply.

Here s a link to general electrician application through Vetasess: http://www.vetassess.com.au/download/workassess/457%20Fact%20Sheet%20-%20Electrician%20(General).pdf

Crowded house...

i have a few spark mates over there in wa, latest 1 did say if u can get the restricted licence b4 ya leave the uk that wood save Alot of time, if u have an oz address ya can use also. Once ya have the restrict licence ya can go to the local college & hopefully get booked on the nx available course 2 weeks, after completed grade a licence, & u can have ur pick of spark jobs & like ya say sit back & enjoy a nice cool 1.

there was no mention of a log book.

He actually got a job offer on the plane over while talking to an ozzy, but only as a TA, which tied him over till he got the licence, so from arriving in nov, had the licence by feb & only took that time cause of Xmas hols. Keep me posted on ur restricted licence application from uk.

We havnt got the grant only co last week, but I no u need the grant to apply to energy safe. Good luck & look 4ward to hearing how ya got on & if I hear any news from wa il report back.

Crowded house...

i have a few spark mates over there in wa, latest 1 did say if u can get the restricted licence b4 ya leave the uk that wood save Alot of time, if u have an oz address ya can use also. Once ya have the restrict licence ya can go to the local college & hopefully get booked on the nx available course 2 weeks, after completed grade a licence, & u can have ur pick of spark jobs & like ya say sit back & enjoy a nice cool 1.

there was no mention of a log book.

He actually got a job offer on the plane over while talking to an ozzy, but only as a TA, which tied him over till he got the licence, so from arriving in nov, had the licence by feb & only took that time cause of Xmas hols. Keep me posted on ur restricted licence application from uk.

We havnt got the grant only co last week, but I no u need the grant to apply to energy safe. Good luck & look 4ward to hearing how ya got on & if I hear any news from wa il report back.

Sounds good! i ve just been looking at CET ballcatta. Have a look at this link: http://www.cet.asn.au/Libraries/Course_Brochures/Electrical_Trade_Licence.sflb.ashx

In the top right hand corner it says you need to apply to energy safe for permission to enrol on the course and once completed you apply back to them for your license. My intention is to get Permission now for me to do the course, book on the next available one then fly out on my own do the course (if energy safe give me the ok) get a job then fly the mrs and kids out.

You got your case officer then? Wont be long for you now. Once we did meds and PCs we got the grant the next day. If you have team 4 they dont mess around. If they have not asked for anything else once you upload these bang your there. Let me know how you get on. I will keep you posted on the Energy safe app. Sending it Wednesday.

How can you say im complaining about standards??????? What i am complaining about is the lack of information available for the correct route to gaining your A license. When i did the Vetasses in 2008, the Assesor of the practical exam even told me how much of a nightmare it was gonna be to find out what your next step is. Vetasses sent me a letter to say you will need to do gap training at a college to get your level 3 (if you went down that route). Most colleges i emailed in Queensland had never even heard of Vetasess, never mind what was to be done next for the gap training. Yes the standards are high and we obviously need to be re-trained to there regulations and way of doing things. Im happy with that and willing to do it. But There s little clarity.

I have a friend who applied to energy safe who in turn told him he needed to do gap training. He went to CET to do his 2 week course. when he completed the course he asked the Lecturer about the gap training in which he replied "what gap training" 3 weeks later he got his A licence from the very same place that told him he would need to do gap training???!!

maybe you can tell us what you had to do and then i can add a like to the few you have.

No probem I had to show my competence as an electrician to enter Australia. On landing I then had to prove my elecrical status through ATR as an electrical mechanic then I had to sit an Exam theory and practical and then I got the A grade. Now employed by Energy safe as a licencing officer. Good luck

Sounds good! i ve just been looking at CET ballcatta. Have a look at this link: http://www.cet.asn.au/Libraries/Course_Brochures/Electrical_Trade_Licence.sflb.ashx

In the top right hand corner it says you need to apply to energy safe for permission to enrol on the course and once completed you apply back to them for your license. My intention is to get Permission now for me to do the course, book on the next available one then fly out on my own do the course (if energy safe give me the ok) get a job then fly the mrs and kids out.

You got your case officer then? Wont be long for you now. Once we did meds and PCs we got the grant the next day. If you have team 4 they dont mess around. If they have not asked for anything else once you upload these bang your there. Let me know how you get on. I will keep you posted on the Energy safe app. Sending it Wednesday.

We have team 4, requested meds & polices checks, but also few tax bits, wev sent the tax stuff but there looking details of 2004, as I was self employed then iv sent back financial states from acc, but there looking receipts from tools, invoices, letter from companies. But I was only labour SE. Not owning my own company. Agent is trying to explain the SE c45 status to CO so hope they understand, as meds r on sat. & don't want there to b a hold up on 2004 info.

I read up on the energy safe form & the app needs to b filled in uk with the doc required & then posted to oz (a friend) then they post from there local post office & an oz payment method. I'd prob put there address on the form so they can post to there's. Can u clarify this is rite??

We have team 4, requested meds & polices checks, but also few tax bits, wev sent the tax stuff but there looking details of 2004, as I was self employed then iv sent back financial states from acc, but there looking receipts from tools, invoices, letter from companies. But I was only labour SE. Not owning my own company. Agent is trying to explain the SE c45 status to CO so hope they understand, as meds r on sat. & don't want there to b a hold up on 2004 info.

I read up on the energy safe form & the app needs to b filled in uk with the doc required & then posted to oz (a friend) then they post from there local post office & an oz payment method. I'd prob put there address on the form so they can post to there's. Can u clarify this is rite??

Once you get that clear to them you will get your visa. We never used an Agent my better half did it herself. We had no problems when we applied, within 2 days we got the case officer and all she wanted was meds and PCs. as soon as we got them we got the grant no questions. Tottally gob smacked! still in shock now.

I ve printed the form and im gonna send it to a friend in Bayswater. Shes gonna forward it on with her address to be sent back to. Will let you know how i get on.

Guest rrwilky

My OH needs hie license but has not done VETASSESS as I have got the visa on my skills, does he still just have to do the ARTC and the PEER thingy??

I have looked not this at length but am struggling to find a straight answer!!

My OH needs hie license but has not done VETASSESS as I have got the visa on my skills, does he still just have to do the ARTC and the PEER thingy??

I have looked not this at length but am struggling to find a straight answer!!

Hi

Yes you will need to apply to ARTC/TRA if you have your visa. Vetasess is for migration ONLY!! If your Other Half was the main applicant he would need to do Vetasess but he`s not so you will have to go the other route. If i was you and had your visa i would apply before you go out there but will need to have a friend or ozzy address to send his stuff to.

Regards

Once you get that clear to them you will get your visa. We never used an Agent my better half did it herself. We had no problems when we applied, within 2 days we got the case officer and all she wanted was meds and PCs. as soon as we got them we got the grant no questions. Tottally gob smacked! still in shock now.

I ve printed the form and im gonna send it to a friend in Bayswater. Shes gonna forward it on with her address to be sent back to. Will let you know how i get on.

Ya no wat even r agent said it, he's never in all his time heard of the co's demands from us. refs, tax letters have just not been enough, now there looking contracts... Not possible.

head bout to explode, i think wev just got a new starter at the diac office.

anyways good luck wit the forms wit energy safe, i hope its smooth sailing...

Guest rrwilky

Hi why do you think this is the best route?

any idea how long this will take? And how long we will have to wait once were there before he can work?

Cheers

Yes you will need to apply to ARTC/TRA if you have your visa. Vetasess is for migration ONLY!! If your Other Half was the main applicant he would need to do Vetasess but he`s not so you will have to go the other route. If i was you and had your visa i would apply before you go out there but will need to have a friend or ozzy address to send his stuff to.

Regards

Hi any ideas how long you think getting ARtC takes and why do you think this is the best route? How long will we have to wait once were there before he can work?

Cheers

Hi any ideas how long you think getting ARtC takes and why do you think this is the best route? How long will we have to wait once were there before he can work?

Cheers

Im not saying you dont have to do the Vetasess route. Of course you can do that but its costly compared to ARTC/TRA. There is no easy way really.

Most Electricians want to do the ARTC/TRA route because all you have to do is send of your Certificates with detailed work history, References, Pictures, descriptions of tools used and Installations done. If you send enough they grant you the certificate. If you dont they can do Telephone interviews and ask you to sit Practical exams.

If your other half wants to do the Vetasess then he can. But you wont see much change out of £2000 where as the ARTC/TRA is around £300.00

Im heading to Perth and on my application form for the Restricted licence it clearly states that i must the Vetasess certificate (OTSR) offshore Technical Skills Record or ARTC/TRA to get the restricted licence. You cant work without these. Gap training needs to be done then at a college which takes around 3-6 months. Once that is completed and i pass the exams i can then apply for a full licence. Some are saying once you have the restricted licence getting a job is difficult because your not allowed to work on your own and you need all your work checking by A licensed Electricians. You also dont get the full pay ($2 to $5 less maybe more) until your pass your gap training and get you A licence.

Does that help at all?

Cheers

Just to add.......Im the main applicant on our visa and because of that i was forced to do the Vetasess. If you gonna do that route visit britishexpats.com and look at the page which tells you how to prepare for Vetasess theory and practical exam. http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=520432

Heres another link for the ARTC application: http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=491978

Heres the link for the Electricians forum which covers most questions people ask: http://britishexpats.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=97

If you need any more help just ask.

Theres a guy called Steve`o who lives and works in the Gold coast at present. He s really helpfull and has a lot more knowledge then me. You can find him on both these sites if you look through the pages he also started the first link i ve put on about the practical and theory exam above. Without that page i would had failed my Vetasess without doubt. I took about 3 months revising before i went and found the info spot on. I sailed through both practical and theory because of that.

Regards

If you need anymore help just ask

Guest rrwilky
Just to add.......Im the main applicant on our visa and because of that i was forced to do the Vetasess. If you gonna do that route visit britishexpats.com and look at the page which tells you how to prepare for Vetasess theory and practical exam. http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=520432

Heres another link for the ARTC application: http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=491978

Heres the link for the Electricians forum which covers most questions people ask: http://britishexpats.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=97

If you need any more help just ask.

Theres a guy called Steve`o who lives and works in the Gold coast at present. He s really helpfull and has a lot more knowledge then me. You can find him on both these sites if you look through the pages he also started the first link i ve put on about the practical and theory exam above. Without that page i would had failed my Vetasess without doubt. I took about 3 months revising before i went and found the info spot on. I sailed through both practical and theory because of that.

Regards

If you need anymore help just ask

Hi

this is all really helpful but we have heard that once you get there you do a two week college course, if you have ARTC and then your free to work, is this correct? Were going to Perth are the regulations different in different states?

Cheers for the advice :biggrin:

Hi

this is all really helpful but we have heard that once you get there you do a two week college course, if you have ARTC and then your free to work, is this correct? Were going to Perth are the regulations different in different states?

Cheers for the advice :biggrin:

Heres what you can do:

Book yourself on a course with PEER training (www.peer.com.au) and buy yourself the following books.

http://www.saiglobal.com/shop/Script/Details.asp?DocN=AS678036347050

http://www.saiglobal.com/shop/Script/Details.asp?DocN=stds000017409

http://www.saiglobal.com/shop/Script/Details.asp?DocN=AS12820832AASS

http://www.saiglobal.com/shop/Script/Details.asp?DocN=AS778112015227

(Note: If you keep your receipts for the books and the course, you can claim them back against your taxable income providing you claim them in the same tax year as you buy them)

At Peer, you will be given a booklet to fill in. It will ask you to find the relevant section of the wiring rules to answer the question. This book can be filled in either at the training centre or at home, so really it’s up to you how long it will take to fill in. Once you have completed this you will then be able to take your exam, which is basically the same thing – filling in the relevant regulations.

It usually takes anything from 2 – 4 weeks to get to the exam stage (well they have to look as if they are at least trying biggrin.gif).

Once you have done your exam and passed, (impossible to fail, as they will tell you to amend things if they aren’t right), you will get a certificate to say you have completed the wiring rules course. You then take this and your ARTC certificate, which should have arrived by now) to the Office of Consumer and Business Affairs (OCBA) in Adelaide CBD. You will need to also fill in this form: http://www.ocba.sa.gov.au/assets/files/form1a_pge_indiv_ptship_07web.pdf and pay the fee ($338 currently, again keep the receipt as you can claim it back wink.gif)

They will send you a letter asking you to have a photo done at various places (usually transport offices), once you have done that it will take approximately 10 to 14 days to receive your licence and away you go.

Heres what you can do:

Book yourself on a course with PEER training (www.peer.com.au) and buy yourself the following books.

http://www.saiglobal.com/shop/Script/Details.asp?DocN=AS678036347050

http://www.saiglobal.com/shop/Script/Details.asp?DocN=stds000017409

http://www.saiglobal.com/shop/Script/Details.asp?DocN=AS12820832AASS

http://www.saiglobal.com/shop/Script/Details.asp?DocN=AS778112015227

(Note: If you keep your receipts for the books and the course, you can claim them back against your taxable income providing you claim them in the same tax year as you buy them)

At Peer, you will be given a booklet to fill in. It will ask you to find the relevant section of the wiring rules to answer the question. This book can be filled in either at the training centre or at home, so really it’s up to you how long it will take to fill in. Once you have completed this you will then be able to take your exam, which is basically the same thing – filling in the relevant regulations.

It usually takes anything from 2 – 4 weeks to get to the exam stage (well they have to look as if they are at least trying biggrin.gif).

Once you have done your exam and passed, (impossible to fail, as they will tell you to amend things if they aren’t right), you will get a certificate to say you have completed the wiring rules course. You then take this and your ARTC certificate, which should have arrived by now) to the Office of Consumer and Business Affairs (OCBA) in Adelaide CBD. You will need to also fill in this form: http://www.ocba.sa.gov.au/assets/files/form1a_pge_indiv_ptship_07web.pdf and pay the fee ($338 currently, again keep the receipt as you can claim it back wink.gif)

They will send you a letter asking you to have a photo done at various places (usually transport offices), once you have done that it will take approximately 10 to 14 days to receive your licence and away you go.

We wil be doing same as you crowded house so keep us posted how you get on !

Lou

Also he forms you have to complete on energy safety website is asking for different forms of id to get 100 points .can only see that we would be able to use passport (70 points) what else are you using?

Thanks

At the bottom of the form it says you can supply a reference from an employer no more than 2 years old. that will give you another 35 points. Im also supplying my Part P and approved licence from the NICEIC as i have been self employed and are still registered to them. You can do that your self if your self employed and registered.

Regards