Guest James.S

Hi James,

Is the vetasses needed to get the visa to get into Oz? If I applied and got in as a science teacher (which are being sponsored) could he then sit a TRA test, or does he need a vetasses first?

Thanks again!

Guest James.S
Hi James,

Is the vetasses needed to get the visa to get into Oz? If I applied and got in as a science teacher (which are being sponsored) could he then sit a TRA test, or does he need a vetasses first?

Thanks again!

Hi, Yes the Vetassess is mainly for the visa... If you are both going in on your Visa as a teacher then it's all down to the requirements of the state as to what they need to allow him a license... what state are you thinking of going to..?

James..

Looking at Perth area or brisbane. Don't really fancy too far north. I know that WA has sponsorship scheme for teachers, So WA may be the best way. Southern Oz would be fine too, with the exception of Sydney - went years ago & didn't like it (Sorry all Sydney people!)

Must be child friendly as we have a 7 yr old.

Cheers!

Guest leeob77
Hi All,

My OH works on electric motors - prototypes and rewinds. Would he have to take the electricians vetasses? Just wondering as this seems a bit more towards the domestic sparky side, or is there an electrical fitters licence?

Cheers!

you could apply to TRA for an artc certificate once you had your visa granted (have a look at the list here) http://www.workplace.gov.au/workplace/Individual/Migrant/TRA/TradeClassificationsAssessed.htm

the armature winder one might suit?

you wouldnt have to be assessed by vetassess as you arent applying for a visa in connection with your trade.

the artc certificate can be applied from while still in the uk so long as you have evidence of visa in your passport.

lee.

Hi Leeob77,

Thanks for that link, I've had a quick look at it and it is says that they are no longer using work experience as measure of ability to do the job. My OH has 27 yrs experience with a few cerificates of courses to his name but there are no college courses in motor winding. Do you think that this will be enough?

Guest leeob77

i would send the TRA an email explaining the situation and telling them that you dont need an assessment for visa purposes, you just want to apply for an ARTC certificate. i found them really helpful when i did mine. you may find the formal apprenticeship is needed for a visa skills assessment but not the certificate. worth asking.

hope this helps.

lee.

Guest James.S

Hi.... stlightly daft question I think, but am having trouble finding a college in NSW where i can do a Peer course instead of at a TAFE, if anyone can point me in the right direction that would be fantastic..!

James...

Guest leeob77
Hi.... stlightly daft question I think, but am having trouble finding a college in NSW where i can do a Peer course instead of at a TAFE, if anyone can point me in the right direction that would be fantastic..!

James...

PEER is a training organisation who only operate in South Australia i think. they run a number of courses. one of them is the AS/NZS 3000 2007 wiring regs course which is a requisit for getting an electrical license in SA.

the course can be done via distance learning for the most part.

lee.

Guest James.S
PEER is a training organisation who only operate in South Australia i think. they run a number of courses. one of them is the AS/NZS 3000 2007 wiring regs course which is a requisit for getting an electrical license in SA.

the course can be done via distance learning for the most part.

lee.

Mmm that's what i thought..! The problem i am having is there are no colleges near me in Coffs Harbour to do the AS/NZS 3000 2007, there is one TAFE 6 1/2 hours away that will let me do it via distance learning but I was hopeing that PEER may have had a campus in NSW as well as SA as that could have been easier, they do do the course via distance learning too but i will still have to travel there to do the final exam...

I guess i will stick to TAFE.....

Many thanks Lee..

James...

:jimlad:

hello mark. thanks for posting your vetassess experience.

i am studying for the test at the moment. i am a domestic and light commercial electrician, so covering the stuff that i leraned while doing C&G 1+2. the theory i am happy with, its mostly the motor and resistor part and the isolation process i am looking for info on.

1. how do you tell the direction of a motor without powering it up.

-i have a dol starter to practice wiring, but that is the extent of my knowledge as far as motor control circuits go. will this be enough.

2. at the start of the isolation process you need to check the outer casing is 'not live' by testing to the known earth. what form does the known earth come in.

- is the proving unit to check your tester a near by socket or an actual proving unit.

- if its a socket are you allowed to open it up to prove your testers. As you know when isolating and checking you testers on site its a little bit less anal.:wink:

if you could shed a bit of light on this for me i would be grateful.

thanks

Andy H

Guest James.S
hello mark. thanks for posting your vetassess experience.

i am studying for the test at the moment. i am a domestic and light commercial electrician, so covering the stuff that i leraned while doing C&G 1+2. the theory i am happy with, its mostly the motor and resistor part and the isolation process i am looking for info on.

-i have a dol starter to practice wiring, but that is the extent of my knowledge as far as motor control circuits go. will this be enough.

2. at the start of the isolation process you need to check the outer casing is 'not live' by testing to the known earth. what form does the known earth come in.

- is the proving unit to check your tester a near by socket or an actual proving unit.

- if its a socket are you allowed to open it up to prove your testers. As you know when isolating and checking you testers on site its a little bit less anal.:wink:

if you could shed a bit of light on this for me i would be grateful.

thanks

Andy H

Hi Andy...

I have tried to answer as clearly as i can..! Any probs please feel free to ask again...

- A motor should have the direction written on it somewhere, either on the casing as an arrow or on the info plate as DOR clockwise or anti etc...

-i have a dol starter to practice wiring, but that is the extent of my knowledge as far as motor control circuits go. will this be enough. - Should be fie, have you a contactor to play with, maybe a thermal overload switch as well..? maybe try wiring it in star or delta configuration, that should do you on the control side of things.

2. at the start of the isolation process you need to check the outer casing is 'not live' by testing to the known earth. what form does the known earth come in. - It's a bit vague but anything you know, and can prove to be a good earth idealy by testing it, alternatively an earth rod with a cable attached..! The problem in Oz is most houses have overhead live and neutral supplies only, the earthing is then a strap from the neutral buzz bar to the earth in the dis board, as well as an earth rod... it's know as MEN, multiple earthed neutral...

- is the proving unit to check your tester a near by socket or an actual proving unit. - I use a proving unit... But you could always play about with a socket if you want..

- if its a socket are you allowed to open it up to prove your testers. As you know when isolating and checking you testers on site its a little bit less anal - Easiest thing would be to get a socket tester, that way you know it's all working without taking it apart... It would look more professional..!

Hope that helps...

All the best,

James...

Hello, i figured it may be useful to start a thread that would pull together peoples experiances of trying to gt to Oz as a spark, or what it's like over there as one..!

It seems there are a lot of us out there! i am mainly domestic, but with a good measure of 3-phase and light commercial thrown in!

I am on my way to Oz, have let our property in London and are travelling around to get a feel of where to live, probably somewhere north of Sydney.

I did the Vetassess in the summer of 2008, i am waiting for the 175 to come through and will then be applying for the ARTC, i am going to try to do the wiring reg's asap and then apply for the license without much on shore experinace as i have been told it is possible.... well worth a punt anyhow..!

To start the 'helpful' bit of this thread off the following is what my Vetassess day was like;

Vetassess assesment is very broad, it seems to look at electronics, domestic wiring as well as light industrial, they seem to be looking for a general level of competance and an understanding of most things.

Electrical units you are quite right in that they expect you to know all of the basic definitions (V, I, R, Z, etc) this will ensure you can understand / answer the paper based question...

ELV, yes 50v in a AC circuit and 120v in a DC... etc etc..

As far as learning all of the formulas off by heart it can do your head in slightly, what i did was refresh myself with all of the basics, ohm's law, reisitance & reactance calculations, RMS etc, i did take a few notes in with me but to honest never needed them..

What did come up that i didn't expect though was transformer winds ratio's and quite a lot of health and safety stuff.

One thing to note (which did worry me a bit!) is that it is all done to our reg's not the AUS/NZ reg's as they are quite different in some respects..

hello james,

hw r u?thank u for ur reply.

what kind of occupational hazards sparkies face?only electric shock n' electrocution?are any other occupational hazard involved?

does the assessor ask abut magnitude of current which causes shock effect,burns,ventricle fibrilation, fatal current and its path (i mean between arms,left arm to left foot, left arm to right foot..etc.)?

can i expect question about Residual current devices?

what is the maximum pemitted leakage current and minimum insulation resistance of an installation?

any question about classess of fire extigushers?

artificial respiration n' first aid?

regarding varification of Ohms law- hw to do it?just by measuring the current n' voltage calculate the resistance?

If it helps i will just quickly run through my day for you;

07.45 regsitration, we had to show passports for id etc.

08.00 paper based test, we had to do a few ohms law calculations, resisitance calculations showing overall resistance of circuits with resistors connected in series and/or connected in parrallel, transformer wind ratio's and some general health and safety stuff.

09.00 we were taken into the main practicle room, here we were each given our own boothe, we had to then instal from a paper diagram a consumer unit with x2 circuits, one was for a socket outlet, one was for a lighting circuit with a two way lighting arrangement. the installation used all methods of wirng, T&E clipped, in plastic conduit, metal conduit and loose cable also... this took all day as whilst this was going on we were each individually taken off to do the following;

1, wire up a DOL motor control circuit with thermal overload and on/off switching, we could choose whether to wire it in star or delta.

2, had to connect up a simple pin board with resistors and then calculate the overall resistance of the circuit one arrangement being with the resistors in parrallel and one with a couple in series as well, we also had to test it to prove our calculations.

3, we then had to safely isolate and disconnect a dummy motor, we had to lock it off, apply safety tag's and notices, note down the direction of rotation, power rating, etc, we then had to reconnect it. prior to doing this though we had to write down the whole of the isolation and disconnection process as if we were on site, and the reconnection process, we then also had to test to prove all was safe.

finally we then had to test our main installtion, all of the basic domestic tests you would expect, we all aslo had to prove our 2 way lighting worked!

The day ended around 4pm, we had all had a 1hr lunch break.

There were 8 guys on my test day including myself, all of us bar one had brought our own tools, the guy who hadn't was lent some so it didn't seem to matter either way...

I hope this thread proves useful, if not then... at least i tried..!

If anyone has any useful infor about the ARTC, wiring reg's, on shore experiance or contractor license i would greatly appreciate it..

All the best and hppy sparkin...

James...

hello james,

what kind of occupational hazards sparkies face?only electric shock n' electrocution?are any other occupational hazard involved?

does the assessor ask abut magnitude of current which causes shock effect,burns,ventricle fibrilation, fatal current and its path (i mean between arms,left arm to left foot, left arm to right foot..etc.)?

what is the maximum pemitted leakage current and minimum insulation resistance of an installation?

regarding varification of Ohms law- hw to do it?just by measuring the current n' voltage calculate the resistance?

regarding wiring-were u given PVC pipes or mild steel pipes for conduit wiring?

did u do teak wood batton wiring?in that case on type of switch board used?PVC or wooden?

plz help.

regards,

esthapan.

thanks for your reply James, much appreciated.

it sounds like if i take my own proving unit i will be ok. if there is no known earth at arms length, but an earth spike near by i could run a lead from that and test for live to earth from that.

if i have any more questions im sure i'll be knocking on your door. cheers.

Andy H

Guest James.S
thanks for your reply James, much appreciated.

it sounds like if i take my own proving unit i will be ok. if there is no known earth at arms length, but an earth spike near by i could run a lead from that and test for live to earth from that.

if i have any more questions im sure i'll be knocking on your door. cheers.

Andy H

No probs Andy... good luck..!

James...

Hi James,

What I'd like to know is that I'm going on my spouse's visa and I'm a qualified sparky here so don't need to go down the Vetassess route. Are there any sparks that have transferred their skills to Oz and what's the best way of doing it? or do I just go as a Trades Assistant and do it in Oz?

Any help would be appreciated as it doesn't seem to be straightforward.

Guest James.S
hello james,

did u do teak wood batton wiring?in that case on type of switch board used?PVC or wooden?

plz help.

regards,

esthapan.

Hi Esthapan... i hope the following will help...

What kind of occupational hazards sparkies face?only electric shock n' electrocution?are any other occupational hazard involved? - You have the main couple, other silly one's are falling off step ladders and cutting yourself with a nife, hitting you hand with a hammer etc etc.. think that's all... maybe being over worked and under paid...?

does the assessor ask abut magnitude of current which causes shock effect,burns,ventricle fibrilation, fatal current and its path (i mean between arms,left arm to left foot, left arm to right foot..etc.)? - No it should'nt go into that much detail, they don't have time too..

can i expect question about Residual current devices? - You may do, they could ask for a brief description in the written test, or at least what is the difference in a RCD to a MCB etc..

what is the maximum pemitted leakage current and minimum insulation resistance of an installation? - You would normally find it in the reg's book, it depends on the cable, it's location, the power and what it's supplying etc etc... this would only really come up when designing a circuit and looking at what cable should supply it, i doubt you will need to know this for the test, just to be able to know where / how to find out the info will be enough, not to actually know it.

any question about classess of fire extigushers? - I think there might have been, but just the very basics, in that what to use CO2, powder or water on etc rather than their class etc..

artificial respiration n' first aid? - No as it's not part of the UK reg's or licensing, you will need to go through it once in Oz but for Vetassess it's about the electrical experiance and understanding, not the H & S stuff..

regarding varification of Ohms law- hw to do it?just by measuring the current n' voltage calculate the resistance? - Do you know the v,i,r triangle..? v/i = r v/r=i ixr=v etc etc... well that's all Ohms law is... it's the relationship between v. voltage, i. current and r. resistance... you can use any two known values to calculate the missing third...

did u do teak wood batton wiring?in that case on type of switch board used?PVC or wooden? - I had to use both PVC and steel, the panel you go into is just ply, the dis board was plastic, the outlets and back plates are both PVC and steel and they went on the same as the conduit...

All the best... when is your practicle..?

James...

Guest James.S
Hi James,

What I'd like to know is that I'm going on my spouse's visa and I'm a qualified sparky here so don't need to go down the Vetassess route. Are there any sparks that have transferred their skills to Oz and what's the best way of doing it? or do I just go as a Trades Assistant and do it in Oz?

Any help would be appreciated as it doesn't seem to be straightforward.

Hi, nice to have you on here...

I guess then the visa side of things is not needing you to prove your trade..? if so then it's just the license in Oz you need to deal with..

If so then yes you can apply for a license once you have you visa, you will need to prove your work history, skills and training though, it will be assessed probably by ARTC and you can apply for a provisional license... you can always do the Vetassess to get your work history, skills and training assessed for the license, it may be easier as they only need 5 years work history instead of 7..

What stage are you at..? where are you heading and when..?

All the best,

James...

Hi James,

You may be right about the vetassess as I've only been a sparky since 2003 and since 2006, I've been teaching it at my local college. I'd like to go back on the tools when I get to Oz though.....might be difficult being a middle-aged woman???? We're about to send our 475 visa off, just waiting for my partner to do her IELTS, which caught us unaware. We didn't realise she would have to do an english test to get the extra 10 points (even though she has a science degree & held a management role). This has set us back 2 months. We have our regional sponsor and are heading to Ballarat. We have sold our house fingers crossed. Visa should be in by beginning of march......then it's in the hands of the gods (literally).

Thanks James, appreciate your time

Karen

Guest Ryan, Rachel & Beth

HELP... :arghh:

Just read all posts to this thread and now feeling very confused. I was granted the 136 Skilled Independent Visa in August 2008 and my TRA skills assessment was granted on the 16th May 2007.

We are flying off to Port Macquarie, NSW in May and I was always under the impression that all I had to do on arrival was apply for my provisional licence before looking for work.

Reading all about Vetassess and ARTC, I'm starting to doubt it will be as straight foward?!? Please don't tell me I am destined to work the rest of my life in Coles or Big W...:eek:

Any advice would be very much appreciated.

Ryan

Guest naths28
Hi, don't go too crazy it shouldn't be that tough....

The NSW BLIS site is crap..! go to:

www.fairtrading.nsw.gov.au/About_us/Forms/Builder_and_tradespeople_forms.html

On there you will see a link for VETASSESS applicant - electrical work, that will then open another window will all the pdf's and application info you will need to apply for the provisional as long as you have a valid visa and passed the Vetassess..!

Once that is with you work should not be too tough, you will need the health and safety card too, just ask if you need that info as well...

Oh and also just remember this system of the whole Vetassess thing is new to them too, until quite recently i believe you still had to do a ARTC applictaion to be re-assessed as a spark to be able to apply, it's a bit like the Vetassess, but they scrapped that thinking the Vetassess was good enough, in some states like QLD they don't and you still have to do the ARTC, so keep in there it will all be just fine in the end..

All the best;

hi

James...

hi my names nathan,ive been on here a few times,and received some usefull info.

me and my partner catherine have been in oz now for 6 months,shes a nurse and im on her 457 visa for 4 years.

we are living on the northern beaches in sydney at a place called dee why.

one thing they are not short of here is electricians,and also work..just google it if you need work(i typed in electricians in the northern beaches)and a v big list of local sparkies came up,i called about 6 of them,and started work 2 days later...

i have been working for a local elec for the last 5 months(helping out)!

now ive decided i NEED to get my licence sorted,as i want more money(not that bad unlicenced tho,$22-$30 an hour)but double that licenced.

a few things really,where do i start!!

* Is it still the ARTC which i need to get first?

*After that,do i need to enrol on a wiring regs course?

*Whats next????

Many many thanks,

nathan(ps loving oz life):biggrin:

Guest James.S
Hi James,

You may be right about the vetassess as I've only been a sparky since 2003 and since 2006, I've been teaching it at my local college. I'd like to go back on the tools when I get to Oz though.....might be difficult being a middle-aged woman???? We're about to send our 475 visa off, just waiting for my partner to do her IELTS, which caught us unaware. We didn't realise she would have to do an english test to get the extra 10 points (even though she has a science degree & held a management role). This has set us back 2 months. We have our regional sponsor and are heading to Ballarat. We have sold our house fingers crossed. Visa should be in by beginning of march......then it's in the hands of the gods (literally).

Thanks James, appreciate your time

Karen

Hi Karen..

Yes i guess Vetassess is definately your best route... i'm sure most emplyers will be fine with a female on the tools... it always was the case in the UK so i doubt it would be much different over here in Oz...

All the best, keep us updated..

James...

Guest James.S
HELP... :arghh:

Just read all posts to this thread and now feeling very confused. I was granted the 136 Skilled Independent Visa in August 2008 and my TRA skills assessment was granted on the 16th May 2007.

We are flying off to Port Macquarie, NSW in May and I was always under the impression that all I had to do on arrival was apply for my provisional licence before looking for work.

Reading all about Vetassess and ARTC, I'm starting to doubt it will be as straight foward?!? Please don't tell me I am destined to work the rest of my life in Coles or Big W...

Any advice would be very much appreciated.

Ryan

Hi Ryan...

Don't panick it's not going to be that hard... what you will need to do once you are here is apply for the provisional, prior to going on site you will need to do a green/white card assessment, it's a health and safetly thing, takes an afternoon. there are loads of places you can do it..

Your TRA should be fine for the license... once you have the provisional you will only be able to work supervised, a bit like an apprentice..! To be able to get a full unrestricted license you will have to go to a TAFE college and do the reg's course, it's about 700 hours part time, like evening school... you will have to prove 12 months worth of on shore work experiance and have it signed off by a full license holder, this all done you can get the license and pretty much double your income..!

Port Macquarie is not that far from me, i'm in Coffs Harbour.. give me a shout when you get settled if you like..

All the best..

James...

Guest James.S
hi my names nathan,ive been on here a few times,and received some usefull info.

me and my partner catherine have been in oz now for 6 months,shes a nurse and im on her 457 visa for 4 years.

we are living on the northern beaches in sydney at a place called dee why.

one thing they are not short of here is electricians,and also work..just google it if you need work(i typed in electricians in the northern beaches)and a v big list of local sparkies came up,i called about 6 of them,and started work 2 days later...

i have been working for a local elec for the last 5 months(helping out)!

now ive decided i NEED to get my licence sorted,as i want more money(not that bad unlicenced tho,$22-$30 an hour)but double that licenced.

a few things really,where do i start!!

* Is it still the ARTC which i need to get first?

*After that,do i need to enrol on a wiring regs course?

*Whats next????

Many many thanks,

nathan(ps loving oz life):biggrin:

Hi Nathan,

We looked at settling in Dee Why or Curl Curl but ended up all the way north of you in Coffs Harbour.. a bit quieter and what with our equity loss in the UK cheaper living..!

What experiance do you have in the UK..? if you have and can prove more than 7 years worth and have some kind of apprentiship or what you will need to do once you are here is apply for the provisional, prior to going on qualifications then go down the route of applying for the ARTC, if you have less experiance (5yrs) look at Vetassess...

Once you have either the ARTC or Vetassess you can apply for the provisional license, you still will only be able to work supervised as you are at the moment.

To be able to get a full unrestricted license you will have to go to a TAFE college and do the reg's course, it's about 700 hours part time, like evening school... you will have to prove 12 months worth of on shore work experiance and have it signed off by a full license holder, probably who ever you are currently working for, this all done you can get the full license and will double your income..!

Hope that helps...!

james...