Guest James.S

R4sh;

you would have to get a company to take you on as a mature apprentice for any trade you would like to learn, the duration would be like normal 4 x years with reduced wages. 1st year is the worst then slowly you get increases but you must pass all modules for each year. the hardest thing for you my friend is actual getting a company to take you as the mature apprentice, its not that easy & not a lot of apprenticeships in all states these days.

Edited by no1spark
typo

Hi,

Ive recently moved to sydney and im looking at maybe going into this trade. Ive always wanted to get into a trade and im at the stage where i want to get into something new. Im 30 years old and thinking which is the best way to get into it, would it be an apprenticeship.

Any advice would help.

Thanks.

Hi there,

you can try the link below for starters

nationalapprenticeships.com.au

Regards Derren

• 2 weeks later...

I'll ask this one more time, forgive me if I'm annoying you, if anyone has books for PEER wiring reg course and want to sell, rent or borrow, feel free to contact me on PM or whatever.

These are

AS 3000:2007

AS 3008

AS 3012

AS 3107

ETSA rules

I was told that I need hard copies to take to exam, so if someone can confirm that for me from his own experience, it would be great. I don't know if PDFs could do any good.

Also if someone want to get insight of first two from the list, let me now.

Guest gill n ian

Can anyone help? my husband and i and family have recently arrived in Perth. he is waiting to do his electrical licensing course but has to wait till July to fo it. my question to all you helpful lot ..... is do you know of any recruitment companies who will take on a UK spark with a restricted licence. or do you have any contacts of people who would be willing to take him on? or any other helpful advice. it would be most appreciated.

thanks in advance.

Hey guys, use this as advice or a warning, whatever your outlook.

I have a VETASSESS certfificate and the provisional license that in entitles me to.

I have a job with an electrical contracting company as an unlicensed tradesman.

To get the full license I have to enrol at an RTO (TAFE to most of you). The ONLY TAFE that run the bridging course for VETASSESS applicants is in North Sydney. You have to do evening classes and keep a log book for 12 months covering a broad range of electrical jobs. No good for me as I only do HV maintenance.

The course costs $1800!!

If you want any information then let me know.

Guest gill n ian

thanks Mark for your reply. what we have found for far in Perth is that there doesnt seem to be many trade assistant electrical posts and when they do come up everyone is applying for them. here is a different route to get the A grade licenxe. you can do a two week course and no log book needed. will keep on pestering recruitment companies and cold calling companies.

any further advice from others been in a similar situation with getting a foot in the door in Perth is appreciated.

Ian

Hi ian, are you in Perth at the moment?

I have been told theres loads of work if you call the agencies, not sure if that's for assistants or A licence though.

Let me know

cheers

gary

thanks Mark for your reply. what we have found for far in Perth is that there doesnt seem to be many trade assistant electrical posts and when they do come up everyone is applying for them. here is a different route to get the A grade licenxe. you can do a two week course and no log book needed. will keep on pestering recruitment companies and cold calling companies.

any further advice from others been in a similar situation with getting a foot in the door in Perth is appreciated.

Ian

Guest gill n ian

Gaza in response to your query. yes we are in Perth. there is lots of work going on but the problem is there is also alot of others in the same boat, applying for the same positions. from my experience to date recuitment companies are useless, you are just another number and show very little interest. maybe its different if you have an A grade licence but being on a restricted licence they dont want to know. i think its more about who you know and demonstrating your skills in practice.

thats my experience to date

ian

Ian,

Have you done the college course yet?

Any idea when you will?

Can you work as a TA without the licence?

What's the difference in the money TA -restricted-A grade

How long you been there?

It's all abit worrying we arrive 18june, I'm booked on ETL for mid July and need to be working very soon after, I was told by a mate out there agencies get loads so I presume your right you need licence before u get a sniff!

Good luck get me a job!

Let me know

Gary

Guest gill n ian

hi Gaza, enrolled to do ETL course for mid May. i had initially thought i would have to wait till july but another college has come up and thats great for me.

defo work as a TA without licence just lower rate of pay. TA is trade assistant and more like someone checking your work. A grade you can work unsupervised.

only been here a matter of weeks and like you want to be working ASAP

hope that helps. hope all goes well for ya

Ian, that's good news for you.

is TA same as restricted licence?

do you actually have to have licence to work as TA?

Hopefully we can meet up for an expensive beer when we're earning the top dolla !

good luck

gaz

Hi people, a bit of your expertise is required if possible. A little confused by the whole process.

I work as a maintenance spark doing breakdowns and installation work. and have previously had my skills passed as a electrician special class by TRA (for migration purposes one). I now require a ARTC, however looking up on the TRA site there is no electrician special class there. There is only a electrical mechanic and electrical fitter. Working on breakdowns and installations on electro -pneumatic/hydraulic machinery and plant is it the electrical mechanic category?

Also does it matter that previous skills had been passed as electrician special class and then getting a ARTC as electrical mechanic or fitter as there is no ARTC for special class?

Soroka

on your evidence you shall be awarded the electrical fitter for maintenance electrical

Welsh Soroka;1935812133]Hi people, a bit of your expertise is required if possible. A little confused by the whole process.

I work as a maintenance spark doing breakdowns and installation work. and have previously had my skills passed as a electrician special class by TRA (for migration purposes one). I now require a ARTC, however looking up on the TRA site there is no electrician special class there. There is only a electrical mechanic and electrical fitter. Working on breakdowns and installations on electro -pneumatic/hydraulic machinery and plant is it the electrical mechanic category?

Also does it matter that previous skills had been passed as electrician special class and then getting a ARTC as electrical mechanic or fitter as there is no ARTC for special class?

Soroka

Guest flanagan

guys is there even any electrician jobs in melbourne i've gone out and got my A grade and I still cant get a job with sponsorship

Guest NeilanGemz
Hey guys, use this as advice or a warning, whatever your outlook.

I have a VETASSESS certfificate and the provisional license that in entitles me to.

I have a job with an electrical contracting company as an unlicensed tradesman.

To get the full license I have to enrol at an RTO (TAFE to most of you). The ONLY TAFE that run the bridging course for VETASSESS applicants is in North Sydney. You have to do evening classes and keep a log book for 12 months covering a broad range of electrical jobs. No good for me as I only do HV maintenance.

The course costs $1800!!

If you want any information then let me know.

Hi Mark

Do you have details of the TAFE that I would need to get in touch with for the training?

I'm heading out to Sydney (Northern Beaches) on 1st October so I could do with getting the licensing ball rolling.

Cheers

Neil

Also do you know who I who I will need to apply to for obtaining the provisional license?

Edited by NeilanGemz

Guest orlaandjoe

Hey guys I am sure this has been covered before..But my partner qualified as an electrician just before we left Ireland and has just received his official papers. But we are not sure what the next step is for him to get his A grade licence here in WA. Does he start by getting his skills assessed by TRA? Can anyone give me a step by step outline of what to do? And does anyone know the timeframe and costs involved?? Thanks a mil in advance

Guest NeilanGemz

Hiya

Not completely sure about WA but I think the general route is to have the skills assessed by TRA (did he not do a skills assessment as part of the visa process? as you may be able to skip the first stage), then apply for a ATRC again through TRA, then he will need to do all relevant gap training (wiring regs, OSH, etc, etc), then I think the next step is where it varies from state to state. In NSW I know you have to complete 12 month log book of on site works (similar to the NVQ level 3 in the UK) before they will grant an A grade license, but like I say it varies from state to state so I would investigate this further.

Hope this helps

Neil

Hi Neil

http://www.nsi.tafensw.edu.au/Courses/CourseDetail.aspx?num=16103&sem=S2/2012&op=TP

This is the link that was sent to me by the instructor at my local TAFE. As for the provisional license, take your OTSR to the local NSW fair trading office. Every large suburb should have one. Pay the fee and wait 6 weeks. As long as the companies know what you have they should take you on as an unlicensed tradespersons.

Cheers

Mark

Guest jrdavies

Hi everyone, I am currently living in the UK and working as a qualified electrician, I am self employed but do sub contracting work via agency's and so on, on commercial building sites. I have been working and going to college for the past 3 years. I am looking to come over to Australia sometime next year. I have read through these TRA /RTO / Vestassses guildlines and so on , but is all so confusing for me . please can anyone help me on how and start on applying . qualifications / lisences etc . Any help would be much appreciated .

J Davies

Guest guest48973

hi just a quick one is the ARTC the same as TRA? as in i have the ARTC as an electrical mechanic so does this mean my skills have been assessed for migration purposes?

thanks

Guest perksy

Hi, just wondered if anyone can help me. Me, my wife and two sons Zac 20 months and Oliver 3 weeks are hopefully emigrating to Perth October time(depending on the sale of our house arhhh)and I am a domestic electrician. I have all the relevant qualifications and just need to apply for the restricted license then a grade once in Perth. We are looking to go north of the river in Perth but it all depends on work. Does anyone know what the average wages I would be looking at? I have experience in industrial and commercial but more domestic and is there plenty of work? If poss can I get a few opinions from people.

pis anyone in a similar position with kids and have you found it a struggle.

Thanks

Steve

Hi everyone,

we are still looking into visa options. A migration agent has suggested to us that the easiest way to get PR is the ENS on my trade as an electrician. However, is this the easiest route?? How simple, easy , realistic is it to find an employer to sponsor an electrician. Im sure I have read on this site and others that its difficult. Does anyone know anything?

btw, we wish to go with PR. We dont qualify for 175 and although I have 5 years work experience as a spark, I only finished all my trade qualifications this year so have no post qualifying experience.

Thanks

James

Hi, just wondered if anyone can help me. Me, my wife and two sons Zac 20 months and Oliver 3 weeks are hopefully emigrating to Perth October time(depending on the sale of our house arhhh)and I am a domestic electrician. I have all the relevant qualifications and just need to apply for the restricted license then a grade once in Perth. We are looking to go north of the river in Perth but it all depends on work. Does anyone know what the average wages I would be looking at? I have experience in industrial and commercial but more domestic and is there plenty of work? If poss can I get a few opinions from people.

pis anyone in a similar position with kids and have you found it a struggle.

Alright Steve.

Looking to go round that time my self mate. Same boat with the kids, but you just gotta get on with it and try not to worry. Try www.seek.com.au theres loads of work for sparks on there. The hardest part will be getting the unrestricted licence mate. Im just applying to energysafe as we speak to get my restricted licence so i can do the 2 week course.

Bill