Guest James.S

Dont worry too much as to whether you get Elec Fitter or Mech. I got granted Fitter however the Elec License you recieve in any state bares no mention to which one you are. It says on it you can perform any Electrical Work. I have done mainly installation work in Oz whereas back home hardly did any of it. Main thing is you have Australian Elec License as its a struggle to get much else than labouring work without it. All in all it took less than 3 months to get Elec License (SA route) and I did it in Australia.

Shaun Errington

Hi guys

anybody done he vetassess practical recently ? Have a very stressed husband who is looking for any ideas of what questions are asked In the theory part specifically, such as what questions do they ask about RMS voltage and 3 phase power.....

Any help much appreciated

thanks

louise

Hi guys

anybody done he vetassess practical recently ? Have a very stressed husband who is looking for any ideas of what questions are asked In the theory part specifically, such as what questions do they ask about RMS voltage and 3 phase power.....

Any help much appreciated

thanks

louise

H i Louise,

An old thread but should be of some use. www.britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=667546

Regards Derren

Edited by derren7

Hi need some advice

I took a back handed route at getting "qualified" and now feel a little stuck.

I joined the family electrical contracting business in Nov 2007 and jumped straight onto the tools. I studied in the evening and completed my City and Guilds 2330 in Jan 2012, I did my 17th Electrical regulations in May 2008, my Test and inspect in Jan 2011, and my NVQ Level 3 completed in Jan 2012 along with my AM2,

I also hold a business degree which I completed in March 2001.

I run a business along side my father (Electrical engineer) as he agreed to help because I felt it was important that I had a trade on top of my other qualifications.

The Business employ's 8 members of staff.

I'm having problems getting my head around how I apply for my visa as certain states ask for XYZ years post qualifying experience.

Without blowing my own trumpet its not how long you have been doing something it is whether you do it well that counts. I hired and fired plenty of "JIB" electricians who don't know their arse from their elbow. (I know not all of them are like that I employ several very good ones)

My point is how do I portray this on the VISA application?

Im still on the Tools for 70% of my working week (bearing in mind my working week is about 80 hours long.)

Has any one else had these issues?

Thanks in advance James

Edited by jamesandsarah
correct grammar and spelling

jamesandsarah;

if you did not complete an apprenticeship then you need to have 7 x years experience after any training:

you wont get the certificate from the ARTC unless you have completed the 7 years post training in all states of Australia.

However you may want to consider applying under the business degree for migration & when in Australia you can then apply to the TRA (ARTC). there are only two certificates award by the TRA 1st is electrical mechanic, 2nd electrical fitter the 2nd one is mainly for electrical maintenance people.

The TRA certificate is NOT a license to work in the electrical field once you have the TRA you must do a 5 day course or 12 week x 1 night evening course to do the Australian electrical wirings course.

This can be done at the local Tafe (College) but most courses are full for months in advance so you must make enquiries before you get here.

when you apply to the TRA (This can only be done when your resident in Australia) you can provide all your evidence of past work experience & skills to the TRA adding all the info below.

you make your application read like a well set out CV its as simple as that you add all the info you can think of.

have a read of this info i have put together for people below.

To gain the TRA Electrical Mechanic

1st if you give info of work projects like lots of contracting work on industrial, commercial, domestic work you supply enough evidence & info on the type of installations you have worked on also all differing tools used. If they feel that's enough evidence you shall be granted the TRA Electrical Mechanic, end of story.

You must say you have been “fabricating” lots of steel work, working in contracting working on 230V & 415V applications for XX amount of years & the company’s you have worked for, also working in commercial & domestic work, explain all the projects you have worked on & fabricated things Like installing lots of steel conduits of all sizes, the use of bushes, couplings, steel Trunking & accessories &, SWA explain about glands.(the people reading your application are thick as ****).

Pyro & accessories also FP200, also all the different types of cables & sizes & all lugs tools used like different crimper's.

It must look & read like you have been doing a loads of range installation work also list all switchboards (Consumer units 230V & 415V mainly industrial) this way you should get the TRA.

Also list all the Projects you have worked on with motors stop starts, emergency lighting, lifts, Fire alarms, but mainly construction in the electrical field.

Also include steel tray fabrications & the likes that way you should be on a winner for the TRA, if you keep mentioning 230V 415V also large switchboards where you’re using your skills in construction that they like.

The more you can add in regarding the different types of work projects & the style of work like managing projects with the use of all single & three phase equipment & associated switchgear, cables & all that comes with this type of work.

If you’re unable to get letters from the UK then you can do a stat Dec, have a Police officer sign it or better a magistrate, once signed this document becomes a legal document & can be then accepted.

Now then read more below. (They love the words like 230V & 415V applications)

”Restricted license” meaning you’re not allowed by LAW to work on your own.??? Who is going to employ a person who must have all work checked on a daily basis.

Problems are

lower pay

work checked continually

You can only have a restricted license for a 1 year then that’s it.

I hope this info is of some help to you all maybe not what you’re expecting but its real information When you do the application you must have all documents signed & dated then the documents become a legal document make lots of copies make sure all is correct or the application shall be returned to you with little info stating why or what the problem may be from the migration dept.

It’s” illegal” to work in any state across Australia without the Unrestricted Electrical License, NO insurance company would touch a claim if anything was to go wrong.

Then if you intend to work for yourself (Another bastard of a job).?? You must do this?

After obtaining the Unrestricted Electrical License you can go to the nearest Tafe (College) and do a XXX week x 1 night per week doing an Electrical Contractors Business course.

This is for the Electrical Contractors License. You cannot get Insurance without the electrical contractor’s license. (Very good of them) (Bastards)

When you have passed this course then you must obtain Insurance. It’s become normal now for Indemnity cover of $10,000,000 (Ten Million) dollars insurance cover.

Then you can legally quote for jobs in a legal capacity as I say this is only if you intend to be working for yourself, if you work for a company then all you require is the Unrestricted Electrical License.

If you intend to set-up your own company & you have the Unrestricted Electrical License every job you do for any customer you must supply that customer with a COES (Certificate of Electrical Safety) one copy direct to the customer one copy to Energy Safe the other copy you keep for 3 years. Most installations are now being audited to about 30% in all states.

Getting the VET & ARTC may seem to be the easy part once your here this is exactly what must be achieved to work as a fully licensed electrician in Australia.

Most Migration “Agents” (That’s a laugh) do NOT inform people about the information above you pay them your money then that’s your lot you’re on your own when you get here.

I hope this information is of some value to any people who may be applying for migration.

The duration of the Unrestricted Electrical License is 5 x year it’s your responsibility to renew the license you get a renewal reminder then that's all if you DON'T renew you must sit all exams again.

The duration of the Contractors course in Melbourne is about 12 weeks x one night per week.

Cost of A class license about $400.00 per 5 year

A bit more info Regarding Licensing for Electricians

http://www.ocba.sa.gov.au/assets/fil...heet_oseas.pdf

From the Trade Recognition Australia (TRA)

If you are a qualified electrical tradesperson from a country other than those recognised by VETASSESS, you can obtain an Australian Recognised Trade Certificate (ARTCs) from Trade Recognition Australia to assist in your application for a restricted electrical workers registration. TRA will assess your current qualifications/experience and technical skills and list the units of competency that you have completed on the ARTC.

Once you have been issued with an Australian Recognised Trade Certificate, you may then make an application for a workers registration with our office.

If you are recognised as an Electrician, Electrical Fitter or Electrical Mechanic, you may apply for a restricted registration with the condition: any electrical work under the supervision of a registered electrical worker.

To have this limitation removed or to apply for an unrestricted registration, you will also be required to provide evidence of completion of the approved AS/NZS 3000:2007 Wiring Rules course and exam.

To obtain your unrestricted Electrical licence you will need an appropriate Certificate recognising your skills eg ARTC,ART,VETASSESS or similar you will also need to complete what’s known as the gap training of approximately 160 hours

Over a period of 12 months with No Breaks in employment

To complete the process you will need to be employed, carry a work place log and have a restricted electrical licence (fees for the licence are in the area of $300.00 dollars)

For further information on the AS/NZS 3000:2007 Wiring Rules course and exam you may wish to contact either of the following organisations:

Regency Institute of TAFE (08) 8348 4426

PEER Tec (08) 8348 1200

Regards & Best of luck with your applications, if you require help just ask

Arthur Quinn Melbourne

(PS) If you don’t pay the licenses or insurance, you’re unable to work in a legal capacity anywhere in Australia.

Guest burness86

Hi guys thought i would check in....

Been here about a month and a half. Totally skint just to get my ARTC refused. :twitcy:

Bit of a joke......cant apply until you get here then they refuse...........

Luckilly i have been looking for other work while i have been here and start work as a postman on a motorbike in a couple of weeks (i applied for about 20 different jobs and they were the only ones who got back to me.)

Its not by anymeans good money but it means we can tick over untill i sort out my ARTC.....

I failed because i resent all the info that i sent to get the visa and it wasnt enough. I have to reapply now but im going to send them as much as i can and im sure its going to be ok.

i think its going to be at least 3 months before im a sparky again.

good news tho.....My boss to be said that they are in need of sparkys in the sorting office where im going to be working so i could change roles when i have everything sorted.

I knew the move was going to be tough, just diddnt realise how much, but i know a year from now, were all going to be smiling and hopefully get a boat to fish off. :biggrin:

burness86;

you must provide as much evidence as you can if you don't then you shall again be refused the TRA the evidence you provide must state what you have done in work experience in the electrical field from when you finished your apprenticeship to current date.

this includes all work activities & what you have worked on like industrial commercial domestic & maintenance include the work you do & what materials you have ever used all cables & the lot.

when you get the TRA thats NOT a license to work its only to recognise your electrical skills ONLY.

to get the full unrestricted electrical license you must do courses. in most states now you shall be awarded a restricted license that's valid for 12 months only then that's your lot you then must do the full license exams at the RTO (tafe).

so the 1st step is provide lots of evidence to the TRA you get either the electrical mechanic or electrical fitters award.

next you then contact your local Tafe (College) tell them you have the TRA cert they shall tell you when they are running the next set of electrical courses most states now do a 5 x day full on course you must pass all modules to be able to apply for the full unrestricted electrical license.

its full on so make sure you do lots of examples & lots of reading of the AS/NZS 3000:2007 wiring rules.

when you pass this lot of courses at the tafe you then apply to the Energy safe in the state your living in for the full license.

that can take a couple of weeks to process if you have done all the paperwork correct.

Edited by no1spark
typo

Hi need some advice

I took a back handed route at getting "qualified" and now feel a little stuck.

I joined the family electrical contracting business in Nov 2007 and jumped straight onto the tools. I studied in the evening and completed my City and Guilds 2330 in Jan 2012, I did my 17th Electrical regulations in May 2008, my Test and inspect in Jan 2011, and my NVQ Level 3 completed in Jan 2012 along with my AM2,

I also hold a business degree which I completed in March 2001.

I run a business along side my father (Electrical engineer) as he agreed to help because I felt it was important that I had a trade on top of my other qualifications.

The Business employ's 8 members of staff.

I'm having problems getting my head around how I apply for my visa as certain states ask for XYZ years post qualifying experience.

Without blowing my own trumpet its not how long you have been doing something it is whether you do it well that counts. I hired and fired plenty of "JIB" electricians who don't know their arse from their elbow. (I know not all of them are like that I employ several very good ones)

My point is how do I portray this on the VISA application?

Im still on the Tools for 70% of my working week (bearing in mind my working week is about 80 hours long.)

Has any one else had these issues?

Thanks in advance James

Hi It might be beneficial for you to look at a business visa - you have to have run a business in the UK and then run a business in Aus for 2-4 years - forgotton what its called but you will find it on the internet - Business owner visa - something like that ......... Good luck and keep jumping over those hurdles - you will eventually get there !

Whoever reads this just have some peace that there are a lot of people in the a similar boat.

We have been here for 5 months. Traded in the offshore oil rig life in Aberdeen for the Aussie dream and still chasing it now.

Had an international job but was offered a local job which I took to help my family settle in.

Did my VETASSESS in UK and when I arrived I used the OTSR to get an NSW Tradesperson Certificate (Provisional).

I am working as an electrician but paid the unlicensed rate which is $2 p/h less than the licensed guys.

Still looking for the best way to upgrade my license as I can't get back offshore without the correct license.

Currently looking into the land drilling rigs for a way forward and boost in the wages.

Keep it up everyone, we are living for the potential situation, not the current one.

I'll just add that on my license it says that I can carry out Electrical Work under the general supervision of the holder of an electrical contractors license or Qualifies supervisors certificate.

My employers, who are a big company, consider being inducted by them and following their procedures, as general supervision. I work in certain places alone. Obviously, most electrical risk assessments don't allow for lone working especially for testing and fault finding purposes and work on HV substations so I am accompanied most of the time anyway.

Hi,

Apologies for repeating anything that has already been said or asked I just want to get it all straight in my head....

First of all, I have come across 2 forms: the ARTC application form and the TRA migration skills assessment. Is the ARTC application form the main one you do to gain the first part of your license?

Is this the correct order of things...

I arrive with my 175 skilled visa having also completed my VETASSESS in the UK last year.

I then apply to the TRA and fill out the ARTC application form with as much information about my experience as possible and hopefully get that granted.

I then go to a Tafe college to do the 5 day course (with lots of revision beforehand!) and hopefully pass that.

I then apply to Energy safe for my full license.

Is it also correct that you only have to complete the log book experience thing if you do not have a VETASSESS...?

Would really appreciate some help as it is such a mind field of information and whenever I think I have it sorted in my head something else pops up!

Guest jensanco

I may be putting this in the wrong place?

But for any Electrical Engineers we found a bit of a loop hole to having to have an electrical license before being applied but it involves being employed under a different title.

Engineering technologist does not require an electrical license, however from what we've found out this position is often in a lower pay band, however would give experience and evidence of work until an electrical license can be achieved.

Guest rrwilky

Any idea what my hubby has to do? He has not had to do VETASSESS as we are on points from my job, does be still need to do VETASSESS?

-also has anyone had any dealings with the skilled migrant jobs expos in London and Manchester?

Cheers

Any idea what my hubby has to do? He has not had to do VETASSESS as we are on points from my job, does be still need to do VETASSESS?

Cheers

We were the same, my OH has done the ATRC (but he can't get the certificate until we get to Australia) and then he needs to to the PEER exam in SA and apply for his class A licence. It is different for different states and it is all changing soon too - just to make it more complicated!

We are in Bingley, so round your way. Where are you off too?

Guest jensanco

If your heading to Victoria just a tip that there's been a lot said about them not accepting PEER and people having to do the Exams and courses in Victoria

Guest rrwilky
We were the same, my OH has done the ATRC (but he can't get the certificate until we get to Australia) and then he needs to to the PEER exam in SA and apply for his class A licence. It is different for different states and it is all changing soon too - just to make it more complicated!

We are in Bingley, so round your way. Where are you off too?

Thats what we thought but have been told by others he needs to do VETASSESS, which I didn't think was the case. We are in Huddersfield and are heading to Perth, think its similar in that he needs to do a 2 week course once we are there.

have you heard of this trade expo in Birmingham? We are wondering wether to go?

This wo'nt be much help to all you guys out there trying to get your licnce,but. Once you get it and you get out there on the tools you'll wonder what all that crap was about. The average Australian sparky will never have heard of pyro, they may have heard of armoured but will never have used it. Australia used porcelein rewirable fuses until the late eighties early nineties and generaly they are about 30 years behind the UK in the electrical industry. Also the quality of workmanship is pretty appalling.

your right about the standard of workmanship in some places, ive seen some great Aussie sparks very neat, but some are just shite:

again your right about the re-wireable fuses loads of the bloody things all over in ever state.

mention Pyro & you may get sectioned as a nutter they simply cannot use it, mind you the fire rating on the fire cable is rated at 1000C for 1 x hour so pyro is not long dead. SWA is still used in the mines but if you can use T&E on a job you shall be Ok over here that's what they love.

Arthur

Hi all.

My OH has just had his Level 1 from Vetassess today (v exciting day!) and has just signed up for the practical test in London.

Can anyone who has done this give us any tips or guidance on what he should swat up on please.

At $1500 don't want to mess it up. How can they charge so much money per applicant for a1 day exam???!!!

All advice will be greatfully received :em3600:

Thanks guys

Hi,

I am currently working for a meter reading company who are putting me on a course to install electric meters. I am moving to oz on a 12 month visa in December and was hoping that someone had any info on whether this course would allow me to fit meters over there? Also, if there is much of this type of work in oz?

Many Thanks

Hi,

I am currently working for a meter reading company who are putting me on a course to install electric meters. I am moving to oz on a 12 month visa in December and was hoping that someone had any info on whether this course would allow me to fit meters over there? Also, if there is much of this type of work in oz?

Many Thanks

If you are talking about smart meters dont think it will, you will still need to get your A grade licence. There have been a few accidents with unqualified people fitting these meters so I think they are quite strict.

to who it may concern regarding smart meters:

you shall have to do a course with the electrical company over here regardless of any quals you have from the UK, are you an electrician if not i don't think you stand a chance of getting any license its a nightmare here obtaining the full license & that's if you are a Spark

Hi,

Ive recently moved to sydney and im looking at maybe going into this trade. Ive always wanted to get into a trade and im at the stage where i want to get into something new. Im 30 years old and thinking which is the best way to get into it, would it be an apprenticeship.

Any advice would help.

Thanks.