Guest James.S

Hi I remember reading a thread some time ago where someone had used a friends address in OZ to apply for their ARTC while off shore

Has this worked for anyone.

I have the visa and did my original trade assessment with TRA

I have also heard of people who have the visa as electrician but then when in the country are turned down for the ARTC.

Any throughts

I have been offered 2 jobs since I have been here, the 1st one wants to know what's happening with the licensing, I had an interview with the director of the firm and he is well aware how pathetic the whole licensing registration is and why WA struggle to find good knowledgeable electricians.

The 2nd Job offer is coming back to me next week, they are a big international company who have taken on trades in the past on a supervised license until the unrestricted one was completed by the employee, hope this one comes off cause it really suits me with the shifts that are being offered.

When I called energysafe the girl I spoke with initially sounded like she didn't know her arse from her elbow. I knew more than what she is getting paid to know.

I only asked the next girl if there was any chance that I would be able to sit the trade test sooner elsewhere, my tone was polite because I dont believe you get anywhere shouting at people you want to do things for you ! The response was like I had just **** on her keyboard .... 'YOU HAVE TO SUBMIT AN APPLICATION, I WONT TELL YOU ANYTHING UNTIL YOU HAVE AN APPLICATION IN BLAH BLAH BLAH' I explained that I have just arrived in the country and that the process with TRA has been going on since June of last year and if possible I would like to arrange my license sooner rather than later because I have a family to support, NOTHING not a' sorry buts its not possible' or 'I sympathise with your position but there's nothing that can be done' sweet FA...........I think I'm going to nominate her for customer relations employee of the year in WA Energysafe !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

If you get anywhere with TRA and energysafe then you may be one of the lucky ones. Employers are aware of the problems here regarding licensing and only yesterday the quote of 'the left hand doesn't know what the right hand is doing' was used by one employer on the phone to me.

Like I said, when you arrive you will have at least a 4 week wait until energysafe process your application, that's if you have your ARTC through. Until you get this application accepted you will NOT be able to book onto a course, then the course availability is anyone's guess, you may be lucky and time it when there is a course available that week then you may not and the next available course may be in 2 months.

Goon luck, your gonna need it !!!! And i'm an optimist !!!!!!!

Hi mate, sorry to jump in on this thread ( being a plumber and a united fan, 2 of your most hated)!!!!

im looking at Perth early 2013 , after reading some of your electricians red tape is it as bad for plumbers.

im going through vetasses and as far as I know I have to do a course in WA ( I know plumbers course is only 2 hours)!

Do you know if I can start working or a company straight away or do I have to go down the same road as yourself.

Cheers mate

Manchini oh oh oh

manchini oh oh oh

Ian ( U.N.I.T.E.D , united are the team for me)

Guest Kirsty Robinson

helo there saw ur message on forum, wondered if you could help me and let me now how u went about it (skills test ect) my partner is a sparkie and we wanting to move out to oz jus dont no where the hell to start...where do u do the skills test ect?? please help ...

Selina

If your going to live in SA the only course he can do from the UK is at PEER training & you can do the distance learning pre course this is a workbook you do from the UK then when thats all completed he sits the 5 x day course at PEER in SA thats the only way it can be done you cannot at this stage transfer that license from SA to another state so say if you intend to live in WA forget it for now you would have to wait until you get here then he would have to get on a course to gain the pre electrical license then do more exams for the full license.

Hi

Thanks for your response.

We're hoping to live in NSW so maybe we just have to wait til we get out there.

What is the pay like whislt working supervised for the 1st year?

Is it a lot less than when you have your full licence?

Thanks

Selina

If your going to live in SA the only course he can do from the UK is at PEER training & you can do the distance learning pre course this is a workbook you do from the UK then when thats all completed he sits the 5 x day course at PEER in SA thats the only way it can be done you cannot at this stage transfer that license from SA to another state so say if you intend to live in WA forget it for now you would have to wait until you get here then he would have to get on a course to gain the pre electrical license then do more exams for the full license.

Any electricians in NSW who can help with what the procedure is?

The fairtrading website is not very helpful!

My husband is getting his skills assessment by vetassess - I think this is for immigration purposes only?

Do we then need to apply for an ARTC (what is this?) or just do the MACG (Minimum Australian Contect Gap) training?

Surely it would be far easier for each state to just list what the procedure is rather than each and every one of us having to try to suss out what to do??!! Seems unnecessarily complicated!

Help appreciated!

Guest guest48973

Hello everyone, just a quick question; I have my Australian recognised trade certificate (ARTC) as an electrical mechanic which was a diddle getting with my uk qualifications and experience, I'm just wondering what this enables me to do? Such as extent of work I can undertake etc?

Many thanks

Hi Guys,

Hopefully going to be moving to Perth NOR this year with my family, my wife is pregnant and due on the 7th of May and we have a 17 month old son. I am a Domestic Electrician and we have a 176 Skilled Visa that we activated Jan 2012. Can anyone ease my mind a bit, how easy is it to find work?how have you found it and did it take you long to find work. What are the wages like? I spoke to a couple of electricians who worked for themselves in Oz and they charged around 100 dollars an hour, what are the average wages per an hour for Electricians working for companies?

Thanks for your help

Steve

Guest NeilanGemz

Hi Perksy

Your situation sounds exactly like mine, I found the wages to be around 30 - 35 dollars an hour when I was out there last month, but to be fair that was sydney so I wouldn't like to comment about the rest of Oz.

I would say that it is fairly easy to find work out there, I went in to an agency on a Thursday and they had a start for me on the Monday. I never took it as we were due to travel up the east coast to Brisbane (on holiday) but it was nice to know.

While I'm on here commenting, can anyone shed a little light on the ARTC for me?? I completed the Vetassess route to getting my visa (which is basically pointless, other than for getting a visa!!!) I'm now looking to file my application to TRA for an ARTC. I'll carry on with what I do know about it and if anyone else has any more info to ease my pain of getting it, it would be very much appreciated.

I know that you apply to TRA and you can do it online (I have an address in Sydney - my cousins place), I have to get all of my certifcates witnessed and signed (can the Managing Director at my current employment do this?). You then submit your application together with all paperwork and evidence which backs up your qualifications and employment history. They consider your application and if it is weak you have to have an assessor visit you to confirm your claims (is this at your place of work in Australia??).

My next question is how does the licensing then work?? can I get a license to work as a trade assisstant while this is going on? and also is there anything else that you have to do other than the gap training (which I believe is the wiring regs course?)

I have my white card which I have completed on line, are there any other cards that I will need to get on to site??

Any more that anyone can add to this I'm sure will be appreciated by not only me

Thanks in advance

Neil

Hello everyone, just a quick question; I have my Australian recognised trade certificate (ARTC) as an electrical mechanic which was a diddle getting with my uk qualifications and experience, I'm just wondering what this enables me to do? Such as extent of work I can undertake etc?

Many thanks

You will still need to get a licence from whatever state you are going to. When are you moving over? If its soon all states have their own licences but if you are moving after June the licencing is changing to one licence for all states.

Guest NeilanGemz
You will still need to get a licence from whatever state you are going to. When are you moving over? If its soon all states have their own licences but if you are moving after June the licencing is changing to one licence for all states.

Hi Mate

Do you know how you apply for the license (NSW)?? I'm just sending my info off to TRA for an ARTC but I also though you needed gap training to get an A grade license??

Guest jordanpick

Hi there I was wondering if someone could help me, I am now in Oz and trying to apply for my TRA (ARTC) to get my qualifications transfered over however have never been the most literate person (even the mrs is typing this now for me)! I was wondering if there was any format or template that would be best to use for the personal statement that needs submitting as I am struggling on where to start and don't know how much detail to go into and whether I need to break down every job I have done or just generalise it as the guidelines don't actually stipulate this part! Please help!!!!!!!

thanks

Guest joenolan

hi fellas hope everyones doing ok just wondered if any body is doing the practical in london end of march, or anybody has any tips and tricks they would like to share as I'm really nervous about the whole day !!! going back to the science formula is driving me up the wall :) please help !!!!!!!!! cheers joe

Guest joenolan

hi mate is the tra like the vettessasssasas or however you bloody spell it :) if so i have just gone through the whole thing and it was a nightmare but i got through it with a level one..... any way if you would like all my job/refs i can email you them and you can maybe do a bit of copy and paste or just have a read through them as we all pretty much do the same type of jobs !!

hi mate is the tra like the vettessasssasas or however you bloody spell it :) if so i have just gone through the whole thing and it was a nightmare but i got through it with a level one..... any way if you would like all my job/refs i can email you them and you can maybe do a bit of copy and paste or just have a read through them as we all pretty much do the same type of jobs !!

Do u mind if I take a look at that as well, I've got a statutory declaration to write and as its the second one I've got to include I want to make it different from the first.

Guest burness86

Well, we have arrived in Melbourne (Me my Wife and my 2 Children). I have given my address to TRA as i now reside in OZ....

Am i right that all i can do now is wait?........

Any advice anyone?

It enables you to do nothing work wise-it enables you to get a part L supervised licience when you get here. Then you have to do it all again and sit and do your exams! Good luck hope you have plenty of money as its a long hard road!

Apologies if these questions have already been asked and answered but wanted some up to date information.

Myself and my partner have our 175 visa and are planning to come to Perth around November 2012. I am fully qualified electrician with over 12 years experience and have completed all the Vetassess etc etc hence we have our visa but wondered what the next best step is?!

I just wanted to know if I can do any of my class A license in the UK and is it advisable and or beneficial or is it just better to do it once I get to Australia. I have heard it is difficult to find work without it but then have also been told it could take a few months to complete so wondered if I could get a step ahead and get the ball rolling by doing it in the UK before I go to Oz. Could I at least study for it here and then take the test as soon as I am there? Also, does each state have their own test as I have read some states want you to do their specific test/qualification.

Any advice or ideas would be greatly appreciated!

Steve

Guest burness86
Hi Me again

trying to fill out the vetassess application and it guides me to a tradeSET website. I'm a qualified Electrician so am I an Electrical Contractor or am I an Electrician General?

Does it matter?

Any advice gratefully received

James

I believe electrical contractor is if your intending to be self employed.