Guest James.S

Hi guys

I posted a while back that i had an email from energy safety saying that in wa you now had to do the gap training/log book method to get your a licence. I arrived in perth last week and approached energy safety on how to start my gap training and obtain the restricted workers licence. To my amazement and delight they told me they have scrapped the idea of gap training and to enable me to obtain my a licence all i have to do is the ETL course (Electrical Trade Licence) at one of theyre nominated TAFE's.

I apologise if this is already common knowledge as i have not been keeping up to date with the forum.

Thanks Andy

Thats great news thanks for posting. do you know when the earliest you can do the TAFE course is?

ive emailed Balcatta a few times and they said they can not take bookings for next year yet

any ideas ?

whats the work situation looking like any idea of rates?

Thanks

gary

Situation of TAFE SA here is the earlist time is Semester2 2012, that is quite some time. Also that is only for apply, cause the course is quite competitive.

Thats great news thanks for posting. do you know when the earliest you can do the TAFE course is?

ive emailed Balcatta a few times and they said they can not take bookings for next year yet

any ideas ?

Thanks

gary

Guest dirty130

Hello, I am just about to start an apprenticeship in Victoria, I did not do a apprenticeship in the UK although i have my 16th and 17th edition. Has anyone filled out an RPL form for Tafe? Its not a partially easy form to complete here is an example question. I have spoken with the Tafe an they wheren't very helpful.

Question 4.

Describe the procedures and devices that you use to fix and secure electrotechnology equipment when performing installation work.

Examples:

• Types of fixing devices.

• Safe application techniques.

This question just seems a little to simple I don't know if I am over thinking it. Do they want to say about using a hammer drill and green plugs?

Question 10.

Describe the procedure that you would follow to plan and select the cables and other equipment required for an electrical installation.

Examples:

• Current requirements.

• Voltage drop.

• Earth fault loop impedance.

• Regulatory requirements.

• Special situations.

• Etc.

Now I know how to calculate volts drop and how to select a cable taking into consideration the environment external. But I am not sure how they want me to answer the question? Do they want me to write them a story?

Thanks David

Guest tommo66

any ideas ?

Thanks

gary

Hi gary

The Balcatta Tafe seems to be winding down for xmas, hardly anyone here today.

If you phone speak to leslie, she seems to be in charge of booking the courses etc.

As far as rates go it does vary alot, the average would be around the 35 to 40 mark

Hope this helps Andy

well guess what, I have provided insufficient evidence, ****ing unbelievable !!!! Really there would be no more evidence that I could have supplied and I would challenge anyone who can provide more evidence !!!! I have provided sworn declarations in a court of law in front of a JP and they mean **** all to these so called trades committees....BUT not all is lost..................they have offered me the trade test, more money, to prove that I have been an electrician for over 20 years...............I am more than willing to sit this trade test, anyone know what it involves and where I will sit the test ?

Regards

Gary

Guest jhousewhite
well guess what, I have provided insufficient evidence, ****ing unbelievable !!!! Really there would be no more evidence that I could have supplied and I would challenge anyone who can provide more evidence !!!! I have provided sworn declarations in a court of law in front of a JP and they mean **** all to these so called trades committees....BUT not all is lost..................they have offered me the trade test, more money, to prove that I have been an electrician for over 20 years...............I am more than willing to sit this trade test, anyone know what it involves and where I will sit the test ?

Regards

Gary

Hi Gary,

Thats crap news mate, i never got to thank u for ur last comment tat i post, so thanks for tat mate. I was told i had to have my skills assessed to prove i meet the standards of an electrician, so i did an test in London back in sept' i passed and now i have Off Shore Techinical Skills Record Cert. The company that i did it wit was a company called Vetassess, i think there website www.vetassess.com.au it was a very simple test, if you are going down the vetassess route? let me know and i can give you all the info about the whole day of the test,

Best of luck,

Jonathan

Regards

Gary

Just got off the phone from TRA, got through straight away ! I can sit the trade test in Oz, 1 day basic stuff. It is something that the LTC are known to do, more money but if I pass looks like i'll get the mechanic cert. I can feel less stressed now over christmas !!!:goofy:

Thanks for your post Jonathan, I'm a bit further along now from the vetassess route, I initially got my skills assessed by TRA and then applied for my ARTC as electrical mechanic & fitter dual trade.....had to supply more evidence for the mechanic title which I did, photos, installation certs, stat dec's from me and manager, stat dec from an ex colleague in perth who is now electrical engineering manager, its unreal how much info I gave them !! The only thing that I can think of is that there is only 3 or 4 of us on maintenance who have the 2391 inspection & testing, I'm not one of them ! all the jobs we do, get signed off by one of these lads, purely a cost thing is the reason why the rest of us weren't sent on the course. Thats the only reason I can think of why they want me to do this trade test, not to worry, i emailed my ex colleague again this morning and he said there really is a shortage of maintenance sparks and I will definately get work no doubt about it !!

Afternoon all, hope you had a great xmas, i've tried reading through this thread today to get a heads up on working as a sparks when i get to Adelaide but i'm as lost as ever. I've got my skilled sponsored 176 visa, and did my vetassess trade assessment last year. Do i now have to apply to the TRA first? can i do this in England? or have i got to apply to someone else first?

Sorry for the questions but baffled myself reading all the info on here.

Cheers

Darren

Darren,

you cannot apply for the TRA assessment until you get to Australia, now then what electrical assessment have the VET given to you, if its the electrical fitter then i would be applying for the elec mechanics cert that's unrestricted.

if you contact PEER in SA a lady called Kate they do a 5 x day full on course and at the end when you pass you go to energy safe with your pass paperwork SA on the same day & apply for your new electrical license.

now i would say this is great if your going to live in SA if you want to move to another state you shall have to do exams from that state. there is supposed to me a mutual agreement for all states for people transferring from state to state but they all refuse to abide.

Arthur

Hey Arthur,

Thanks for the quick reply, I was given 'Offshore Technical Skills Record' by vettasses for a general electrician. Could i still apply for the electrical mechanics cert?

We will be staying in SA for the foreseeable future as family and friends are there so thats some good news.

regards

Darren

Darren you can apply to do the exams at PEER SA call Kate at PEER she is very clued up & if you like you like you can also speak to the training manager peter jolly another decent person. they are eve so helpful.tell Kate you have been in contact with Arthur from Victoria we are friends

you wont know what the problem is until its been correctly looked at by an electrician.

there may be a number of things that it may be.

1 the switch may be faulty or a cable may have broken behind the switch.

2 the actual light fitting may also be faulty.

3 there may be broken cable at the light fitting.

4 a cable that's looped from another light switch may have broken.

5 the neutral from another fitting may have broken.

if you own the home simply get an electrician to check, it may be nothing then again it can be any other above, DON'T do it yourself, especially if you have old re-wirable fuses they are death traps.??

what country do you live in & if in Australia what state are you in.

Hi

Looking for some general advice, I'm mainly a domestic installation electrician, I do run my own business and employ 14 electricians, when we emigrate, what opportunities are there for someone with this skill set?

I do have the practical skills in commercial and industrial but rightly or wrongly I like the domestic side of the business.

I am happy to work for someone again but I cannot find realistic wage earnings for this particular area.

Which part of Australia would be best to focus on for this particular type of work?

Thanks in advance

Duggy,

your NOT able to do the ARTC now from the UK, the goalpost have been shifted you now must be a resident in Australia.

Hi NO1spark

when did goalpost change i have just spoken to a spark heading in out in january and he received his tra a couple of weeks ago????

Duggy281

Guest JonnyWK

Hi All

Any Electricians on the Sunshine Coast trying to get a licence and Job?

I arrived in October 2011, and have settled in Buderim (what a view!) on the Sunshine Coast.

At the moment I seem to be going round in circles trying to get a permit/licence. It seems my TRA certificate might be out of date! Does anyone know if there is a time limit on this? My visa came through in 2008, but due to family reasons we, (wife and daughter) have only just moved. I've tried phoning all the relevant government departments, but they are still on holiday. or are getting back to me.

I've started applying online for jobs on the Seek website which seems to be the best site, (Worth a look if your in the UK and are wondering if there is any work out here) but until I get a licence of some sort I think I'm restricted.

Going to look at recruitment agencies next.

Cheers

Jon

Hi all

With regard to Electricians for the 175 or 176 visa is the Vetassess practical test sufficient or do you need to go through TRA. I called immigration to query this and was told that I need to go through TRA for my skills assessment . I am currently in OZ VIC as a dependant on my wifes 457 visa but we ultimately would like to obtain PR. I competed my Vetassess in July and I've almost completed my LEA to gain my certificate III in electrotechnology. I just need to complete my log book and then hopefully apply for the Unrestricted License. I explained all this to Immigration and the lady insisted that even if I have all my exams and even my full license I still need my skills assessed by the TRA. Surely this can't be right ? I've read a lot of the other post and a lot of guys have come the Vetassess route. Has something changed in the past year regarding this ?