Guest James.S

hello all,

Myself and my family have our 176 visa and are looking to head over to perth in January 2012.

I was wondering what is the best way to obtain my WA license as I dont want to be sitting over there too long without a job.

Many thanks.

Hi there

The problem is it is illegal for any electrical company to hire you as an electrician without your licence you will however be able to get a job as a Trades Assistant (electrical helper) the pay is not the same but still not bad.

With getting your skills recognised I don't have contact details for TRA but I do for VETASSESS this is a company that TRA use to assess Electricians qualifications. Their contact details are

Vetassess,

Level 5,

478 Albert Street,

East Melbourne 3002

Tel: +61396554801

email: vetassess@vetassess.com.au

web: www.vetassess.com.au

They should be able to get you started in getting your licence.

Stope.

Thanks Stope,

that's exactly what I have wondered about assistant. And I also didn't know that I could use vetassess, because on ESV site they refer to TRA. I thought that vetassess is working only with certain countries on the list, and mine wasn't on that list.

Congrats on passing :)

Thanks Stope,

that's exactly what I have wondered about assistant. And I also didn't know that I could use vetassess, because on ESV site they refer to TRA. I thought that vetassess is working only with certain countries on the list, and mine wasn't on that list.

Congrats on passing :)[/

Cheers mate

I'm not too sure about what countries Vetassess deal with but worse case senario they will point you in the right direction.

Best of luck and I hope it all works out !

Stope.

The General Skilled Migration Program

Some applicants may have come to Australia through the Commonwealth Government’s General Skilled Migration Program for selected countries and trade occupations. The five countries currently under the program are:

United Kingdom

India

South Africa

Sri Lanka

Philippines.

The current trade occupations are:

electrician

plumber

refrigeration and air-conditioning mechanic

carpenter

joiner

bricklayer.

Under the Migration Program, applicants may apply to VETASSESS for assessment of their skills and knowledge before coming to Australia. For information about how to have an assessment done contact VETASSESS.

Any applicant under the Migration Program who is issued with an Off-Shore Technical Skills Record from VETASSESS, is eligible to be granted:

a provisional tradesperson certificate for electricians and air conditioning and refrigeration mechanics and roof plumbers or

a provisional tradesperson certificate for plumbers, drainers and gasfitters.

Any applicant issued with a qualification through VETASSESS is eligible to be granted a contractor licence or supervisor’s certificate for carpentry, bricklaying and/or joinery.

Hey Sparkies.

I'm not sure what background and experience you all have but I am offshore oil & gas based and had an interesting conversation with an employee of Randstad who are a recruitment agency. I applied for a particular job on SEEK and he got in touch and asked me to fill in a bunch of registration forms so he could advertise me to some of his clients. Try it if you like......

http://www.randstad.com.au/

Hello again,

Seems like everyone is asking for a quick way or an easy way to get things done.

All I want to know is the right way, nothing else about the visa process has been quick......

I have a VETASSESS certificate and an OTSR. I have been reliably informed that I can go to the NSW office of fair trading and get a provisional license. This will allow me to work under supervision which is handy because I have no interest in being self employed and have secured employment with an industrial maintenance company already.

How does the provisional license get changed to a full license? What is the name of the course, where do I do it and how long does it take?

Cheers

Mark

Hi, I’m after some advice please, I have seen so much conflicting information I don’t know where to start!!

I’m UK qualified spark travelling to Oz on a WHV (417) starting off in Perth.

I’m not currently looking to get an A grade licence but may do in the future. From what I understand I can still work without the A grade although it will be supervised with less pay, and prior to working I will need to obtain a TRA or ARTC? Can in apply for this in the UK? What is the TRA or ARTC, a written and practical assessment?

Any assistance will be greatly appreciated

Guest tommo66

Hi

I have just spoke to energy safety wa about gaining my A licence and have been told that they have been processing the overseas vet ones wrong and have stopped with immediate effect. They are now doing like all other states, gap traing and working as a trade assistant for a company on a reduced rate. This is a real downer for me as i have arranged my familys move to oz around sitting the 10 day course at Balcatta in December.

Thanks Andy

Guest naths28

Hi,

can anyone help me out with any past capstone exam papers,that you could email me?

my capstone exam is a month away.

many thanks,

nathan.

Guest jhousewhite
Hi,

can anyone help me out with any past capstone exam papers,that you could email me?

my capstone exam is a month away.

many thanks,

nathan.

What is Capstone mate??

Guest garyheidi7

Hi Tommo66,

I am too gutted with this news you have posted, we too based our emigration on sitting this two week course through peer in WA to get A grade licence, i have just read the announcement on the energy safety website.

I am worried now as i can see with all job advertisements they ask for A grade licence, id imagine its going to be fairly difficult to get a job offer to get the 12 month gap training done, my OH isn't thrilled about basically going back to being an electricians mate.

Hi Tommo66,

I am too gutted with this news you have posted, we too based our emigration on sitting this two week course through peer in WA to get A grade licence, i have just read the announcement on the energy safety website.

I am worried now as i can see with all job advertisements they ask for A grade licence, id imagine its going to be fairly difficult to get a job offer to get the 12 month gap training done, my OH isn't thrilled about basically going back to being an electricians mate.

i cant find the announcement, can you not do the 2 week course for your license anymore? what is the process now?

Guest garyheidi7

Hi robwa,

I cant even find it myself on there now, im going to give them a ring this morning, to check this information, if it is true we will be gutted. The only way then to get the licence is to work on a restricted one for 12 months on a reduced rate apparently, which they call gap training and then you sit your exam to achieve your full licence, but i dont think there are many who want to take on a restricted licenced person which is our worry. Other states may have different ways but i think WA and South Australia where the ones doing the shorter route, but im not definite about that.

I will ring them in a bit anyway to clarify.

Hi robwa,

I cant even find it myself on there now, im going to give them a ring this morning, to check this information, if it is true we will be gutted. The only way then to get the licence is to work on a restricted one for 12 months on a reduced rate apparently, which they call gap training and then you sit your exam to achieve your full licence, but i dont think there are many who want to take on a restricted licenced person which is our worry. Other states may have different ways but i think WA and South Australia where the ones doing the shorter route, but im not definite about that.

I will ring them in a bit anyway to clarify.

Where did this information come from ? I have heard a rumour about people who went through vettasses were processed incorrectly and that all licensing had ceased with immediate effect, but again there is no proof !!!!

Someone on here had posted that they had contacted energysafe and nothing has changed.

There is no peer route in WA, and apparently WA dont recognise licenses that are gained through this process in South Australia, you apply through energysafe with your ARTC (in my case) they tell energysafe and you enrol on the tafe course which is 2 weeks, when you pass that you apply for your license....

If its any different, show me the proof !!!!!!!

reminds me of 12 months ago when we went through the registration process for nursing with the OH, nobody knew what was going on and even the governing bodies didn't even know !!!!

Guest garyheidi7

HI, i have just phoned energy safe in WA to clarify this situation and it is correct you can no longer just do the 2 week course and get your licence like they have been doing she said they had been doing it incorrectly and it was stopped immediately, so it is 12 months of on and off the job gap training on a restricted licence then you get to apply for the full licence. I cant believe it, it will be a hard task to get a job now to even get the training done.

It will be different for you maybe woodymcfc, as you have come on your OH skills and so you have an artc certificate not an ostr through Vetassess certificate, so i dont know the situation with that, all i know is if you have an ostr certificate then you can no longer book onto that 2 week wiring regs course straight away.

Guest whayaaat
Best of luck keep us posted on how you get on !!!

IELTS a success!!!woohoo... R9 W8 L9 S8.5.. and also got the green light for Vic State sponsorship this week!!!lets balls commence rolling for visa app!!:biggrin:

HI, i have just phoned energy safe in WA to clarify this situation and it is correct you can no longer just do the 2 week course and get your licence like they have been doing she said they had been doing it incorrectly and it was stopped immediately, so it is 12 months of on and off the job gap training on a restricted licence then you get to apply for the full licence. I cant believe it, it will be a hard task to get a job now to even get the training done.

It will be different for you maybe woodymcfc, as you have come on your OH skills and so you have an artc certificate not an ostr through Vetassess certificate, so i dont know the situation with that, all i know is if you have an ostr certificate then you can no longer book onto that 2 week wiring regs course straight away.

so thats me in bother now too :sad:.

Is the process that we went through for our visa application with all our training recoeds etc plus a two week course with exams not enough for them ???? :realmad:

Its going to make our move more difficult as I'd say you're right it will be much harder to get a job now.

Guest whayaaat

just to add, is that only the case in wa. I got my license in Victoria around this time last year and just looked up energy safe Vic now and their process is still the same. I got the ARTC from TRA as General Electrician(mechanic I think it actually said as opposed to fitter). Did 3 exams with EPIC. sent energy safe the results, my ARTC and the same work refs and proof of my apprenticeship like all that stuff that was sent to TRA(same paperwork that you guys would have used for vestassess approval?) and got the A Grade without having to do supervised work or anything?

I did do revision courses before those exams alright though to familiarize myself with regs and what's required for the exams first though!

if you have a vestassess otsr you already basically have the paperwork for TRA for the ARTC just that it's another expense but definitely better than having to do gap training

Guest garyheidi7

Hi Whayaaat, congratulations on passing your ielts exam , another step closer now! im not sure on other states licencing methods, i was thinking about ringing and asking about the method in WA if i had an artc certificate, not sure if it can be done if you've done the vetassess, plus its another expense like you say but at least it means no gap training, i will enquire into it. how did you get your licence before your visa if you dont mind me asking, i didn t realise you could do it that way? are you already in oz? any advice would appreciated.

Robwa i agree it is very frustrating, especially when it has been allowed to be used for quite some time, my OH has the same opinion the vetassess should be allowed to be used to get the full licence, i am going to look into other routes other wise it will be gap training for 12 months. but we are still in the visa process at the moment, so have some time to look into artc.:arghh:

Guest whayaaat

hi garyheidi7,

Yes I did things a bit backwards alright!! I came to auz on a working holiday visa and applied to TRA for the ARTC first as I saw that Energy Safe Vic issue the full license once you have an ARTC and pass those EPIC exams. And the usual proof of having done an apprenticeship and work references and whatnot! (basically i had no idea of what was to be done about getting a licdnse when i came first!!Totally unprepared.)Only thing about ARTC is you have to have an auz address as far as i know so if you knew someone. I'm not too sure what would happen if they tried to ring for an interview though if you were overseas? It took me about 4/5 months from applying to TRA, getting into revision courses and doing exams and then getting license. Alot of time was wasted though booking into EPIC exams revision courses(they were pretty busy and had to wait around to go to the available dates) which I would recommend if anyone is going the Energy Safe Vic route. Luckily my boyfriend got sponsored in the meantime and now were going for a 176. It's a funny system and I was probably crazy at the time spending so much of my time in a WHV trying to get a license but seems to have worked out Thank God!

Guest garyheidi7

Hi whayaaat, thanks for the info, thats great, i thought artc was something for when your in oz, but have read different info on here i was nt sure. i have read on here now though that it can be started while in uk so will have to have a research into it all now. its definitely worked out for you now so thats great, good luck with your visa app, they seem to be moving along fairly quick.

Robwa just for your info i have phoned back energy safety in WA this morning to ask the process if my OH had the artc certificate and it is simply filling out the application on their website and then completing the two week wire reg course, no gap training required, which is what the vetassess certificate was used for up until recently. so is probably worth looking into.