Guest James.S

Guest colinmac
Thanks Colin, have u passed urs recently?

Jonathan

No thank goodness i don't plan to go down this route. The Good lady is planning to be our main applicant solely due to the assessment costs.

Note - if the heater is a convector heater these tend to have open elements so the opposit would be true.

Guest Mighty 143

Hi guys, am only new on here just trying to find my feet. Dont mean to go off the beaten track on you's, but would be greatfull if anyone could shed some light on the getting sponsored side of things, as am 32 i have to get sponsored before i go to oz, is it difficult to get sponsored. Its a lot of money to pay for vetassess if there was no great hope of sponsorship at the end of it.

Guest jhousewhite
Hi jonnathon.

I did my Vetassess about 6 months ago in London and the heater was a tubular wall mounted hope this helps.

Hi Duggy,

Congrats on ur successful pass, could you explain the whole heater task please, i have the study guide, but some of it repeats itself, and it doesn't make it clear? Is a heater mounted to the wall feed from a MCB to a Spur to a JB, then Flexed to the heater? did u perfrom an insulation resistance test on the heater?? Duggy any info would be great, sorted for the rest of the assessment but lacking in this area.

Thanks a Million

Jonathan

Guest jhousewhite
Hi guys, am only new on here just trying to find my feet. Dont mean to go off the beaten track on you's, but would be greatfull if anyone could shed some light on the getting sponsored side of things, as am 32 i have to get sponsored before i go to oz, is it difficult to get sponsored. Its a lot of money to pay for vetassess if there was no great hope of sponsorship at the end of it.

Hi Mighty,

I'm in the same boat as you, i'm 33 now and vetassess is my only way into Oz, it is alot of money tho $600 for your paper base application, once successful on your paper base application you go on to do the practical assessament which is $1500 Oz Dollars, i know there is plenty of companies in WA tat will offer electricians sponorship, its just finding them, i have friends in WA as sparks and they are all getting sponsorships, Best of luck

Jonathan

Hi Duggy,

Congrats on ur successful pass, could you explain the whole heater task please, i have the study guide, but some of it repeats itself, and it doesn't make it clear? Is a heater mounted to the wall feed from a MCB to a Spur to a JB, then Flexed to the heater? did u perfrom an insulation resistance test on the heater?? Duggy any info would be great, sorted for the rest of the assessment but lacking in this area.

Thanks a Million

Jonathan

Hi Jonnathon.

Don't worry about it mate I haven't done a lot of testing myself just keep checking your instruments to known source after everything you do go way over top with checking.

Don't forget mate they want you to pass they are not there to catch you out.

Talk him through every step of your testing. The tubular heater is fed from a spur directly fed from mcb. Big tip make sure you test the heater is not live before you do anything. Any more questions feel free to ask.

Where abouts in oz you heading mate.

Guest jhousewhite
Hi Jonnathon.

Don't worry about it mate I haven't done a lot of testing myself just keep checking your instruments to known source after everything you do go way over top with checking.

Don't forget mate they want you to pass they are not there to catch you out.

Talk him through every step of your testing. The tubular heater is fed from a spur directly fed from mcb. Big tip make sure you test the heater is not live before you do anything. Any more questions feel free to ask.

Where abouts in oz you heading mate.

Fair play to ya Duggy, thanks for the help, i'm doing my assessment next saturday morning, so if all goes well i will be trying my best for a sponsor any where in WA, not fussy on any place? Where u heading to mate? what visa u heading on? How long where u doing the assessment? I have heard the assessor's are sound enough, so bit of relief there

Guest guest48973

hello fellow sparks, i a uk qualified spark with all city and guilds, jib card, apprentice served electrician, i have a couple of questions that hopefully one of you may be able to assist me with.

1- when applying for my artc how long will it roughly take as im in the uk at the minute but i fly out on october 22nd so shall i put an australian address?

2- will letters from employers, certificates, copies of jib card and a personal statement be enough(photocopies of course)?

3- do i need to get all of the information signed by a solicitor?

4- does anyone have any contacts for work i may be able to pinch?:wink:

pm me on here or email danny-e@live.co.uk

much appreciated

Guest Natalie1981

Hi Peeps

I'm asking this question in a few places in the hopes of getting an answer!

My husband is an Electician and we have our state sponsored visa and will be moving to Victoria as soon as we have sold our house.

We have heard it will be difficult to get work as he will have to be supervised until hes has completed the 12 months gap training etc. We just wondered if this is true? Is it hard to find work if you are unlicenced? and also how much would he expect to earn before and after he is licenced per year? As we are trying to figure out where we will be financially, what sort of amount we could borrow for a mortgage etc.

Many thanks in advance.

from a confused Natalie :confused:

Guest dirty130

hello, I just landed a job with a company that wants me to do an electrical adult apprenticeship, I was a sparky in england but i only did my 17th edition. Im on a Partner (Temporary) Subclass 820 visa will i be allowed to do an adult apprenticeship?

Guest welshspark
hello, I just landed a job with a company that wants me to do an electrical adult apprenticeship, I was a sparky in england but i only did my 17th edition. Im on a Partner (Temporary) Subclass 820 visa will i be allowed to do an adult apprenticeship?

How could you be a electrician in the uk:wacko: if you only did your 17th edition.

Guest jhousewhite

WOW.... rite guys... who the hell said Vetassess was very easy??? Ok.. al the tasks are simple... 20 easy questions followed by a domestic installation,motor cotrol.... Well have to say it was the biggest buster of my life... No matter how easy the test is, guys looking over you doing the test makes you feel uneasy... but hopefully i passed??? i wil fill ya in guys :unsure::unsure::unsure:

WOW.... rite guys... who the hell said Vetassess was very easy??? Ok.. al the tasks are simple... 20 easy questions followed by a domestic installation,motor cotrol.... Well have to say it was the biggest buster of my life... No matter how easy the test is, guys looking over you doing the test makes you feel uneasy... but hopefully i passed??? i wil fill ya in guys :unsure::unsure::unsure:

Being tested and assessed is never easy. You begin to doubt your own name and date of birth. Hope it turns out OK for you.

All the best.

Regards derren

CALLING ALL POMS IN OZ SPARKS.

Hello can anyone help me find copies of these study books:

Australian/New Zealand Standards 3017:2001 Electrical installations - Testing and inspection guidelines

Australian/New Zealand Standards 3012:2010 Electrical installations - Construction and demolition sites

Any help finding these will be gratefully received.

I already have some study material if anyone is interested.

Many thanks

Duggy 281

Being tested and assessed is never easy. You begin to doubt your own name and date of birth. Hope it turns out OK for you.

All the best.

Regards derren

Hi Derren

I completed the practical assessment for Vetassess on the 6th of Sept in Belfast but have still got no results back from them and this is the 18th working day. I emailed them over a week ago got nothing back I rang them last Tuesday and all they could tell me was that " it's in progress ".

Is this normal or how long does it usually take ?

Cheers

Stope.

Guest jhousewhite
Hi Derren

I completed the practical assessment for Vetassess on the 6th of Sept in Belfast but have still got no results back from them and this is the 18th working day. I emailed them over a week ago got nothing back I rang them last Tuesday and all they could tell me was that " it's in progress ".

Cheers

Stope.

Hi Stope,

Are you serious? Was there many doing the assessment that day?, i was susppose to be to have mine done in Belfast as well the 6th, but instead i had to fly to London and do it there.. There was 5 of us tat day.. Was talking to the Vetassess Supervisor, not the assessor.. Eirc his name was, from Melbourne. He told me tat i would be waiting up to 10 working days for my result, any waiting time after 10 days he said tat my assessment is been subject to a review, been corrected again.... Its a long bloody wait tho.. Let me know how u get on mate, i'll do the same..

Best of luck,

Jonathan

Hi Stope,

Are you serious? Was there many doing the assessment that day?, i was susppose to be to have mine done in Belfast as well the 6th, but instead i had to fly to London and do it there.. There was 5 of us tat day.. Was talking to the Vetassess Supervisor, not the assessor.. Eirc his name was, from Melbourne. He told me tat i would be waiting up to 10 working days for my result, any waiting time after 10 days he said tat my assessment is been subject to a review, been corrected again.... Its a long bloody wait tho.. Let me know how u get on mate, i'll do the same..

Best of luck,

Jonathan

Hi Jonathan

There was only 5 of us that day aswell and according to the assessor everyone did well in the practical and I felt the theory part went really well so I haven't a clue what the hold up is.

I'll keep you posted.

Stope.

Hi Derren

Cheers

Stope.

Hi Stope,

I see Jonathon has already replied to your post and he's more qualified to answer than me as I never did the VETASSESS assessment.

However, I'm currently having my skills assessed by the TRA which is basically part of the same organisation as VETASSESS. They usually have processing times of 30 days but are currently experiencing a backlog of applications and so current processing times are 3-4 months. Can't say for sure if this has an effect on VETASSESS assessments.

Regards Derren

Guest jhousewhite
Hi Stope,

I see Jonathon has already replied to your post and he's more qualified to answer than me as I never did the VETASSESS assessment.

However, I'm currently having my skills assessed by the TRA which is basically part of the same organisation as VETASSESS. They usually have processing times of 30 days but are currently experiencing a backlog of applications and so current processing times are 3-4 months. Can't say for sure if this has an effect on VETASSESS assessments.

Regards Derren

Good comment Derren, sure i'm as clueless as u mate....test is a test... Rite guys (Derren,Duggy, and Stope) where ya's heading in Oz? Well hope to be?? i want to be there yesterday... Need a job offer b4 i can apply for a visa.... **** i know, but the easy way i think?? ENS or 457 visa.. then after 13 months cross to a brigde visa, which me and the wife can stay on tat visa til the SP visa comes ture.... Going to an OZ xbo on Sunday the 2nd of Oct... its an xbo for companys offering sponsorship... any info lads on tat day i will post.. we are all in the same boat so lets help each other out... with info and tat

Jonathan

Right fellas ( and ladies), i'm really going to confuse you all now. As you may or may not know i have just received my ARTC as electrical fitter. I applied for elec fitter and elec mechanic, dual trade, although i am a maintenance spark i also carry out installation work. I am going to email TRA today and ask why I wasnt assessed as a mechanic, I haven't received any reason as to why.

I have also just been in touch with an ex workmate who is now the gaffer at a print house in perth, he got the dual trade artc. apparently energysafe (licensing board) only have 2 distinctive license titles now those being, electrician (unrestricted) and electrical fitter (restricted).

When you use the ARTC application form it only gives you the option to apply for Mechanic or fitter or both !

When you access the link from the TRA website for job descriptions there is no such title as electrical fitter, its either mechanic or electrician !

How f##ked up can this system of applying for trade certificates be !!!!!

We decided to apply for the visa as me being the main applicant because the OH is a nurse and that registration was also terrible..............Thing is we fly out on 8th Jan, I wanted to work as soon as I received my license, unrestricted. If its going to take another 3-4 months to assess once we are residents then that will eat into a big chunk of our savings..........

I shall post again when I recieve a reply from TRA.........wish me luck !!!!!