Guest James.S

Hi all.

Looking for some info please. My oh is the main applicant on our visa. We decided on this route as her skills assesment is a lot less expensive. I'm an industrial electrician to trade and was wondering what the correct route was to allow me to be employed when we hopefully get to perth. I have completed the TRA self assesment online and have met the requirements for an electrical fitter. Can i apply for an ARTC whilst still living in the uk.

Thanks

Colin

Hi Colin,

Yes, I've just applied for my ARTC from here in the UK although you may have to supply an OZ address ( have you any friends, relatives over there). I've attached a copy of the applicant guidelines which contains all the info about applying for an ARTC. Bear in mind that you can only apply for an ARTC after your visa has been granted.

Regards Derren

Guest guest48973
Hi Colin,

Yes, I've just applied for my ARTC from here in the UK although you may have to supply an OZ address ( have you any friends, relatives over there). I've attached a copy of the applicant guidelines which contains all the info about applying for an ARTC. Bear in mind that you can only apply for an ARTC after your visa has been granted.

Regards Derren

Hello darren what other info do you have to send with the application form? its abit vague on the website.

Hi guys just a quick question my hubby is a qualified sparky here in uk, he's got 2 trades flooring and sparky and we went down the pr route via flooring. If theres not alot of flooring work about can he look for work as an electrician I know he has to do some kind of college course over there can anyone give us any info on that?

Hi there,

Before your OH can undertake gap training to become an OZ qualified spark then he will have to have his skills assessed by the TRA for an Australian Recognised Trades Certificate (ARTC). I've attached a document entitled Applicant guidelines. This shows you how to apply for an ARTC and the evidence you have to submit.

Seeing as you have WA SS then it's likely you're heading to Perth so you'll hubby will be able to do a 2 week Electrical Trade Licence course at CET in Balcatta or Jandakot (Perth suburbs) after the ARTC is granted. I've attached a document showing the course content and it may be wothwhile reading this LINK as it shows you step by step on how to proceed.

Regards Derren

Hello darren what other info do you have to send with the application form? its abit vague on the website.

Hi there,

They've recently got rid of their FAQ section which was relatively easy to understand and replaced with the Applicant guidelines PDF file which I've attached to my 2 previous posts.

They require quite a lot of detailed evidence. Obviously all of your Trade certs, detailed references from employers which must state the type of work you did and the tools you used, exact employment periods , how many hours per week you worked. If you have a JIB card, this will help. They now also ask for Transcripts of Training. In my case I sent of my Record of Achievement issued by the City and Guilds alongside your certificate.think along the lines that the TRA think of you as an imposter, so any documents which show that you have been trained and worked as a spark will help your application.

All the info is in the applicant guidelines which you should read through at least twice.

Makes great sleep inducing reading I know, but you should read through it to make sure your application is watertight.

Also, bear in mind that to be considered for an ARTC you must have served and completed a 4 year apprenticeship or have seven years experience.

Regards Derren

Guest guest48973
Hi there,

They've recently got rid of their FAQ section which was relatively easy to understand and replaced with the Applicant guidelines PDF file which I've attached to my 2 previous posts.

They require quite a lot of detailed evidence. Obviously all of your Trade certs, detailed references from employers which must state the type of work you did and the tools you used, exact employment periods , how many hours per week you worked. If you have a JIB card, this will help. They now also ask for Transcripts of Training. In my case I sent of my Record of Achievement issued by the City and Guilds alongside your certificate.think along the lines that the TRA think of you as an imposter, so any documents which show that you have been trained and worked as a spark will help your application.

All the info is in the applicant guidelines which you should read through at least twice.

Makes great sleep inducing reading I know, but you should read through it to make sure your application is watertight.

Also, bear in mind that to be considered for an ARTC you must have served and completed a 4 year apprenticeship or have seven years experience.

Regards Derren

Hi derren7,

thanks for your quick response, yes i served my apprenticeship and also have a JIB card, so if i send off references, photocopies of all certificates, letters from previous employers etc i should be fine - fingers crossed. I land in 29 days and cant wait :biggrin:

Hi derren7,

thanks for your quick response, yes i served my apprenticeship and also have a JIB card, so if i send off references, photocopies of all certificates, letters from previous employers etc i should be fine - fingers crossed. I land in 29 days and cant wait :biggrin:

Yeah, that's pretty much what I sent off last week. Don't send any original documents though. All of your trade certs , references and all other documents that you send must be photocopied and certified by a solicitor, JP, notary public to be a true copy of the original.

Also bear in mind that the TRA are experiencing a backlog of applications to process and current processing times for applications are around 3-4 months.

Regards Derren

Guest guest48973
Yeah, that's pretty much what I sent off last week. Don't send any original documents though. All of your trade certs , references and all other documents that you send must be photocopied and certified by a solicitor, JP, notary public to be a true copy of the original.

Also bear in mind that the TRA are experiencing a backlog of applications to process and current processing times for applications are around 3-4 months.

Regards Derren

oh so how will i get a solicitor or someone to certify them? oh 3-4 months i dot know where ill be so what address do i put :arghh:

oh so how will i get a solicitor or someone to certify them? oh 3-4 months i dot know where ill be so what address do i put :arghh:

Have you got any friends or relatives in Australia whose address you can use?

All solicitors can provide this service. Up here in Scotland JPs do it free of charge. I don't know if that's the case in England. Our solicitor we're using to sell our house done mine free of charge and the migration agent we used also offered to do this free of charge. Solicitors fees for this kind of service can vary greatly so you may need to shop around.

When you get this done you must take your original documents in one folder and all your copies in another as they have to sight the original documents to certify the copies.

Regards Derren

Guest guest48973

All solicitors can provide this service. Up here in Scotland JPs do it free of charge. I don't know if that's the case in England. Our solicitor we're using to sell our house done mine free of charge and the migration agent we used also offered to do this free of charge. Solicitors fees for this kind of service can vary greatly so you may need to shop around.

When you get this done you must take your original documents in one folder and all your copies in another as they have to sight the original documents to certify the copies.

Regards Derren[/QUO

yes i do so ill put there address. oh ok thats great, when are you heading out? have you got a job lined up yet.

dan

Regards Derren[/QUO

yes i do so ill put there address. oh ok thats great, when are you heading out? have you got a job lined up yet.

dan

Hi Dan, Heading off to Brisbane whenever the house gets sold, but we have to enter OZ by Jan 13 or we lose the visa so we're thinking of doing a validation trip.

No job but I have a couple of contacts who I'm going to tap up whenever I get there.

Can anybody help with finding copies of these study books.

Australian/New Zealand Standards 3017:2001 Electrical installations - Testing and inspection guidelines

Australian/New Zealand Standards 3012:2010 Electrical installations - Construction and demolition sites.

Any help gratefully received i have copies of as/nzs 3000:2007, AS/NZS 3008.1.1:2009, and ETSA utilities Service & Installation Rules. if anyone wants to trade or sell.

many thanks

duggy281

Guest windyonerz

hi there has anybody watching this thread recently arrived in perth wa ?

if so, could you tell me what the work situation is like. i'll be pitchin up in may 2012.

Guest colinmac

Thanks Derrin. You input has been great. My sister lives in Perth so i will be able to use her address. Didnt realise you needed to purchase the reading material for the course though. Just more overtime to squeeze in to bump up the oz float.

Couple of questions

Who's your agent ? Were they local as i live just outside Glasgow.

Thanks again

Colin

Guest jhousewhite
Thanks Derrin. You input has been great. My sister lives in Perth so i will be able to use her address. Didnt realise you needed to purchase the reading material for the course though. Just more overtime to squeeze in to bump up the oz float.

Couple of questions

Thanks again

Colin

Yeah thanks Darren, your advice has been great and very helpful, i'm doing my Vetassess on the 24th Sept, next Sat week... so thank u for all ur advice, tips and links

Jonathan

Couple of questions

Thanks again

Colin

Hi Colin,

Our migration agent was Overseas- Emigration based in Leith. If you want to use them to certify documents then they will only do this for free if you were, or are an existing customer. If you want your docs certified free of charge then you can book an appointment at your local Justice of the Peace. If you live near Glasgow then there are numerous locations , Glasgow itself, Coatbridge, Cumbernauld, Lanark,Kilmarnock and a few other locations that I can't think of off the top of my head.

Also, if you intend to do the 2 week course at CET in Perth then you may be able to get the fee subsidised and pay only $160 as opposed to the full $860 because you have been granted a PR visa. There's a little bit of info about this at the bottom of the Electrical Trade Licence attachment on my previous post but you may need to contact them directly on application to confirm this.

Regards Derren

Hi derren7 you said hubby has to get his skill recognised by tra can he do that in oz as we're running out of time we leave in few months? He thought he could do some kind of intensive course over there to get his skill recognised.

Hi Lesa,

Your OH can apply for an ARTC in Australia. The TRA carry out the skills recognition process and will grant an ARTC if he is successful. He cannot undertake any training or course without it.

However , I do believe that CET who run the course to gain a full licence also carry out a Recognition of Prior Learning (RPL) which is similar to the TRA's skill recognition process but I'm not too sure about it but here's a LINK with more info.

Hope this helps.

Regards Derren

Couple of questions

Thanks again

Colin

Hi there Colin if you pm me your email I have study info you maybe interested in. Visa bureau Tom oleary is a good visa agent loads of advice and very informative.tom.oleary@visabureau.com

Guest jhousewhite

Hi Guys,

Any help with this Question? On the Vetassess study notes, part 4 of the Reconnection Process.

" Carry out the Insulation Resistance Test of the Appliance, Test between all Live & Neutral Conductors to the Earth Contact of the Appliance" Note 1- Not Containing Sheathed Heating Elements - Not less than 1 Meg Ohm, Note 2 - Containing Sheathed Heating Elements - Not less than 0.01 Meg Ohm. I am doing my assessment In London and i think they use a Panel Heater, Any info on this guys would be great?

Jonathan

Guest jhousewhite
Hi jonnathon

A panel heater usually has ceramic insulation aroung the element so i would suggest >1meg.

Thanks Colin, have u passed urs recently?

Jonathan