Guest James.S

Hi All,:confused:

Just wondering has anybody done vetassess recently? I am doing mine soon.. I was pretty confident about the whole thing. I was not sure about motor control so i studied everything and can wire all of the circuits now, but i have just found out that the vetassess assessment motor control is done using banana clips on a white board??? Has anybody have a clue or info about this??

Thank You

Jonathan White.

Hi Jonathan,

The board is all set up with contactor, stop, start and supply points hardwired underneath. You are just left with sockets on top of the board at each connection which you plug leads into from one point to the next to complete the ciruit. Straight forward enough.

Peter

Guest jhousewhite
Hi Jonathan,

The board is all set up with contactor, stop, start and supply points hardwired underneath. You are just left with sockets on top of the board at each connection which you plug leads into from one point to the next to complete the ciruit. Straight forward enough.

Peter

Hi Peter,

Thanks alot for the info... i can hard wire motor control blind folded, but i have never heard of anything like that before... What sort of Questions dose the assessor ask you when you are in your own cubical.. I heard they ask ramdam questions? I have the whole vetassess study guide, but just wondering what they do ask?

Many Thanks

Jonathan

Guest jhousewhite
we had ten hours to do our assesment , I was in and out in 4 and a half easy mate

Hi Simon and Deb

Wow 10 hours and out in 4? thats good mate.. Hope i will have the same luck? Were you nervious before the assessment.. Because i defo is... Any tips guys?

Many Thanks

Jonathan

Hi Peter,

Thanks alot for the info... i can hard wire motor control blind folded, but i have never heard of anything like that before... What sort of Questions dose the assessor ask you when you are in your own cubical.. I heard they ask ramdam questions? I have the whole vetassess study guide, but just wondering what they do ask?

Many Thanks

Jonathan

You wont have any problem with the motor control. Its just set up like that to make it easier, you don't need to terminate any cables, just plug the leads in to the right points.

He asked be about the procedure for testing and what expected results should be on a tubular heater they had set up. Make sure you don't touch the metalwork of the heater before proving there is no voltage due to a fault. Test heater body to known earth.

It was quite laid back, there was a few questions on my test on inductive and capacitive reactance in series and parallel circuits, couple on power factors. That was what I was worrying about most with it all being a distant memory. Was alright after re-learning the formula again.

Peter

Guest jhousewhite
You wont have any problem with the motor control. Its just set up like that to make it easier, you don't need to terminate any cables, just plug the leads in to the right points.

He asked be about the procedure for testing and what expected results should be on a tubular heater they had set up. Make sure you don't touch the metalwork of the heater before proving there is no voltage due to a fault. Test heater body to known earth.

It was quite laid back, there was a few questions on my test on inductive and capacitive reactance in series and parallel circuits, couple on power factors. That was what I was worrying about most with it all being a distant memory. Was alright after re-learning the formula again.

Peter

Ah great stuff Peter, all these pointers are great, mean an awful lot to me... we cant do a vetassess pre test here in Ireland, but would love to do one, just to see what i'm in for.. I take it your settle in Oz now mate? I hope i can be there soon as possible?

Jonathan

Hi Simon and Deb

Wow 10 hours and out in 4? thats good mate.. Hope i will have the same luck? Were you nervious before the assessment.. Because i defo is... Any tips guys?

Many Thanks

Jonathan

just relax mate it really is no big deal , just brush up on inductance theory , theres a couple of questions on it in the theory exam, its a bit like the AM2 just not as involved, the assesors are good blokes and you get lots of time to get it done, from memory i had an hour to do my motor control =took 30 seconds

Hello

It's been a while since I posted on this thread but not much happened for a long time and then BANG! We have a visa, flights booked and all that jazz.

We wanted a Permanent Residency visa for the family and are planning to move to NSW. My cousin has a house in Glenmore Park which we are going to rent from her. I went through the VETASSESS route and I have to say it was a lot easier than I expected. I did it at Blackburn college in October 2009. Laid back instructor, not expecting you to have a degree in electrical engineering, just the common sense of doing the job that a normal electrician would have.

Everybody got put into a booth where they had to install a consumer unit that fed a socket and a light with a two-way switch if I remember correctly. Before we started he said that he didn't have a tape measure or a spirit level so not to worry too much about presentation. The college must have been used the day before for the same assessment because the markings and screwholes were still in the wall!! This made things a bit easier!

He came over to me first with the motor starter. He said from my background on the rigs I would be better getting it out of the way first as it is my main area rather than the domestic stuff. All the components (contactor, stop/start, etc.) were all connected into chocolate block on the bottom of the board and I had to connect up from there. Once connected I asked if he was going to test it. He said why bother, we both know it's going to work, and was away to the next cubicle allowing me to continue with the installation.

Over the rest of the day he called us all into a different booth to show him an isolation procedure/check dead/prove test instrument etc.

The advice he gave me, sensing my nerves, was if you know the answer to a question I will get it out of you. If you don't, I won't.

When the installation was complete, I tested it and recorded the results on the test sheet. When he came along and looked I asked if he was going to verify the results, he said there was no need. Jokingly I suggested that I could have flogged the results, he replied that only a real sparky could flog the results and still get them right and that was proof enough for him.

Multiple choice questions. I did a bit of swatting up. Imagine that an electrical teaching book has 10 chapters, you won't need past chapter 4 for the depth of the questions. Basic ohms law stuff, resistors in parallel, what is the current, all multiple choice though.

He told me I had passed on the day and I had the certificate within a month.

That was all at the end of 2009. Following on, we submitted our visa paperwork in April 2010 and got notification of our case worker in March 2011 saying that we would be dealt with in June. Couldn't manage to get our medicals booked until July due to work/school so that was the last thing we were waiting for. Did the medicals Monday, got the visa granted on the Friday. Booked flights and we will be in Sydney airport on 31st October!!!

Next step, find a more local job so I'm not flying out to this drillship every other month.

Anybody know any contacts for getting onto the rigs over there? I know it's all in Perth but with a 14/14 rota it wouldn't bother me to fly back and forth.

Take it easy everyone.

• 2 weeks later...

ARTC news, I emailed the ARTC 2 days ago to find out and chase our application. The assessment should take 30 days and our app was dated 12 may. This morning we have an email to say successful and details are in the post. So it looks like assessments are taking 3 months.

We did not mention the vettassess certificate and did not send a copy. One person had there app returned prob cause he sent the vettassess cert. Good luck to all applying x

Guest allthebests

Hell all

We're here in WA.

Just received my letter from EnergySafety acknowledging my Vetasess.

I'm in the process now of enrolling for the 2 week ETL course at the Jandakot campus of The College of Electrical Training and wondered if anyone else was going to the course on 21st November.

Steve

Guest stixblue
ARTC news, I emailed the ARTC 2 days ago to find out and chase our application. The assessment should take 30 days and our app was dated 12 may. This morning we have an email to say successful and details are in the post. So it looks like assessments are taking 3 months.

We did not mention the vettassess certificate and did not send a copy. One person had there app returned prob cause he sent the vettassess cert. Good luck to all applying x

Congratulations

My application was received on the 17th May so hopefully I should here something soon. What was in the email that sent the TRA please.

Best of luck with everything Stixblue

Guest stixblue

Hi again

Hope so fly out on the 6th September and start work on the 26th!!!! I was wondering what your email says that you sent to TRA?

Cheers Stixblue

Guest bellabain

Hi Steve,

How long did it take for you to get energy safety letter? I contacted them about 3 weeks ago? Heading to perth in Oct hoping to get on course in Nov

cheers

Calling all Electricians,

Don't know if you're aware but some of the top electrical contractors are trying to ditch the JIB working agreements. If they get away with it others will follow suit.

Fundamentally, what this amounts to is drastic pay cuts.

It appears that these firms would now pay £10.50 an hour for containment work, £12 an hour for wiring and £14 per hour for glanding and terminating.

If you want show some solidarity and protest against this undermining of our highly skilled trade then log on http://epetitions.direct.gov.uk/petitions/13728 and sign the e-petition.

Kind Regards Derren

Guest BThurston

Hi, i know its not 100% relevant but i am looking at coming over to oz on a working holiday visa around may/june time next year. I am a 19 year old (20 by the time i get there) fully qualified spark and was wondering if any of you could give me any tips on finding a job, or if any of you are feeling kind, offer me a job yourself. I'm not going to be moving about from place to place when i am over there like most people on a working holiday, to be honest i will most likely get the full 6 months allowed with a single company and be forced to move on by my visa. I havent fully decided where i will be starting, although it will most likely be sydney, so any tips from anyone anywhere in the counrty would be much appreciated.

Thanks, Bill

Guest jhousewhite

Hi Guys, Have my Vetassess assessment booked now for the 24th of Sept' 2011.. Doing my assessment in North London... Dreading it now lol... Flights are booked to.. Will let ya's know how i get on :unsure:

Guest jhousewhite

Hi Guys, I'm doing my Vetassess assessment on the 24th of Sept 2011 in North London, Dose anybody know of any cheap accomadation around the area of the collage (Collage Of North West London)? B&B, Hostels would be fine? Thanks guys.. Jonathan

Guest colinmac

Hi all.

Looking for some info please. My oh is the main applicant on our visa. We decided on this route as her skills assesment is a lot less expensive. I'm an industrial electrician to trade and was wondering what the correct route was to allow me to be employed when we hopefully get to perth. I have completed the TRA self assesment online and have met the requirements for an electrical fitter. Can i apply for an ARTC whilst still living in the uk.

Thanks

Colin

Hi Guys, I'm doing my Vetassess assessment on the 24th of Sept 2011 in North London, Dose anybody know of any cheap accomadation around the area of the collage (Collage Of North West London)? B&B, Hostels would be fine? Thanks guys.. Jonathan

Not sure what accommodation is in the area but I do know the College quite well. All I can say is the area it's in is a bit of a dump. You might want to try looking at Wembley (again a bit of a dump but may have more choice of Hotels because of the stadium) and is two stops away on the tube (Wembley Park - Dollis Hill).

My personal choice would be Golders Green. It's quite a nice area and only 30 - 45mins from the College. It's probably the best place also if you want to grab a pint or a bit to eat in the evening. It'll depend on how fussy you are of course (you might be content with just getting your head down) and availability within your budget.

Check out these sites for some info; the first is BnB's in the area, and the second is the Transport For London web-site so you can plot on getting around.

http://www.bedandbreakfasts.co.uk/propertysearch.asp?query=dollis%20hill&dist=&force=&nomap=

http://www.tfl.gov.uk/

Hi guys just a quick question my hubby is a qualified sparky here in uk, he's got 2 trades flooring and sparky and we went down the pr route via flooring. If theres not alot of flooring work about can he look for work as an electrician I know he has to do some kind of college course over there can anyone give us any info on that?