Guest James.S

I see you have your visa, when you going? Have you any idea what you are doing with the u.k work?

We have verified over Easter and are going to SA. We are going at end of July 2012 (as we need to finish our half completed house renovation).

My husband has an apprentice and he finished all his college courses next year, so he may take over. Ideally we'd like to sell it, but what do you sell, as all tools etc will be coming with us? How much do you ask for a van, mobile number and repeat customer?

We are very confused at the moment, worst case senario just we'll just shut up shop and disappear. Seems a bit of a waste though.

We have verified over Easter and are going to SA. We are going at end of July 2012 (as we need to finish our half completed house renovation).

My husband has an apprentice and he finished all his college courses next year, so he may take over. Ideally we'd like to sell it, but what do you sell, as all tools etc will be coming with us? How much do you ask for a van, mobile number and repeat customer?

We are very confused at the moment, worst case senario just we'll just shut up shop and disappear. Seems a bit of a waste though.

Are you able to keep it running in your name and take the apprentice on ?Depends on him and how able he is. Perhaps you just want to cut and run?

Have you regular customers/a good client base? Cause really,it has to be worth something. I mean, How much would we all love to be handed a 'business' with regular clients when we arrived in OZ ??

So if hubbie was to set up on his own, as a contractor,it would not in theory matter how he got his A grade??

And how about the contractors license, does that differ from state to state ?

Hi there,

In addition to obtaining a A grade licence, he will need to apply for a contractor's licence.

In order to obtain a contractor's licence he will need to attend a TAFE or Registered Training Organisation (RTO) to complete the relevant course. I'm not sure of the in's and out's but is usually a course centred on running your own business ie finance and control, legislative requirements, , risk management etc etc.

If you let us know what state you intend to settle in I'll try and find some useful links for you.

Kind Regards Derren

WARNING!!

I have been advised by another PIO member that her hubby has applied for his TRA and he wants to do the Peer route - he has been asked to withdraw his TRA application as he has an OSTR via Vetassess. As any electrician in the UK has to go down the Vetassess route to get your Visa I believe the loophole of Peer may now be closed!

We have applied for our TRa 2 weeks ago so will be interested to see the response we get!

Yet another blow to Electricians!! Oz want and need the trade but make it very hard to earn a living! So it looks like the 2 week full time course may be the way to go ?

Hi my oh is just back from oz were he did the peer course in Adelaide and ended up having to do a telephone interview with TRA for his ARTC.

Thankfully he passed both and has applied for his licence.

For the ARTC interview he was basically asked all the same questions kindly posted on another forum back in 2007 here's the link if anyone need's it. http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=451937.

Exciting times ahead we fly out on the 12th of June to start our new life in OZ I cant wait.....

Thank's to all who have given advice on this thread over the past few months its really much appreciated.

Maria.

Guest morris5

Congrualations to The Coyne Family. My husband is an Electrican and we live in Brisbane - we made the move January 2010. I can imagine all the different emotions that you are going through - where abouts in Australia are you heading?

Congrualations to The Coyne Family. My husband is an Electrican and we live in Brisbane - we made the move January 2010. I can imagine all the different emotions that you are going through - where abouts in Australia are you heading?

Hi, we are heading to Coffs Harbour in northern NSW as far as I know its about 5 hrs or so from Brisbane. OH has a job in coffs so we are off to a good start.

Yea the emotions are all over the place, really looking forward to it but at the same time not looking forward to the goodbyes or the flight for that matter.

Six months in, thats great, how are you getting on, is your husband working, were are you from originally?

Thanks for the good wishes,

Maria.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi coyne family, i was just wondering the steps your oh went to complete the peer course work book, revision week? Im from dublin too so it would be nice to know the route a irish sparks took. Congrats to your oh on gaining all is oz quailifications and all the best on the move, hopefully with a bit of luck i'll be fellowing in your footsteps

dan.

Hi all,

As it stands at the moment there is no feedback to suggest that NSW are refusing to recognise SA licences. The only states that seem to be doing so are QLD, VIC and if you have been graded as a fitter, WA.

I know of someone who is currently in the process of getting a NSW licence who went down the PEER route. I'll let you know how he gets on as soon as I hear. As stated in a previous post , you can still work in NSW with another state licence. Although most employers would prefer you to have the respective state licence you would still be able to find employers willing to employ you in NSW with an SA licence.

The other option open is to do the 2 week course in Perth to get a WA licence and then transfer that one to NSW. Details HERE

Regards Derren

Hi all,

further to the above post regarding the PEER route to get an SA licence and then apply for a NSW licence, I have just heard from the person who has just successfully applied for a NSW licence with his SA licence obtained by using PEER.

Regards Derren

Guest mz sparkz

Hello everyone!

Glad to see that the electricians are looking out for each other. I'm currently in Canada, waiting to write my qualifying exam, and then submit my application for immigration once I pass.

I was wondering (from popular opinion) as to which visa is the best to apply for for tradies? Do you guys like the 175, or 475 for permanent immigration? I've looked at your responses and it seems like the 475 is the fastest, but are you then stuck out somewhere isolated for 2 years?

I understand that the 175 could take up to a year and an half, and I'm not so sure I'd like to wait that long to get out there.

Please give me a shout with your opinions, and any other options you think would point me in the right direction!

Thanks guys ~ Gillian :wubclub:

Guest allthebests

Hello everyone

This is my first post since arriving here in Australia. We're in WA in Margaret River and I'm looking for advice about how I can get back to work as a spark.

Did all of the vetassess stuff for the visas to get us out here but not sure what I need to do next. Am I allowed to work for a firm under supervision or have I GOT to be back at college before I can even approach them and if so what courses first. Too many questions but my tools arrive next week and I'm available!

Hello everyone

This is my first post since arriving here in Australia. We're in WA in Margaret River and I'm looking for advice about how I can get back to work as a spark.

Did all of the vetassess stuff for the visas to get us out here but not sure what I need to do next. Am I allowed to work for a firm under supervision or have I GOT to be back at college before I can even approach them and if so what courses first. Too many questions but my tools arrive next week and I'm available!

Hi there,

you can do a 2 week ETL course in Perth which ,on completion you can apply for a WA licence and if you have a PR visa seemingly you can pay only $160 for the course as opposed to the full fee of about $960.

For more details read the thread at www.britishexpats.com on what the course entails and another thread at www.britishexpats.com

on how to apply.

Hope this helps

Regards Derren

Hi there,

you can do a 2 week ETL course in Perth which ,on completion you can apply for a WA licence and if you have a PR visa seemingly you can pay only $160 for the course as opposed to the full fee of about $960.

For more details read the thread at www.britishexpats.com on what the course entails and another thread at www.britishexpats.com

on how to apply.

Hope this helps

Regards Derren

Do you know if there's anyplace that does the equivalent in Vic? I'm in two minds wether to go through the hassle of TRA (it's the nightmare of collating evidence when you've spent the last ten years working through agencies). Failing that, I'll probably be cheaper in the long run just heading to Perth for two weeks and transferring the licence if it's possible.

Just to add; I'm trying to remember if you can do the Perth course with just Vetasses OSTR (I think it's called)

Do you know if there's anyplace that does the equivalent in Vic? I'm in two minds wether to go through the hassle of TRA (it's the nightmare of collating evidence when you've spent the last ten years working through agencies). Failing that, I'll probably be cheaper in the long run just heading to Perth for two weeks and transferring the licence if it's possible.

Just to add; I'm trying to remember if you can do the Perth course with just Vetasses OSTR (I think it's called)

Hi there,

As far as I'm aware, there is no equivalent in VIC and their licencing process is one of the most arduous of all the States in OZ. Not too sure what VIC's process is, but I think you have to complete 12 months 'on the job training' as well as attending college.

Might be worth your while going to Perth and then transferring over.

Also, you can attend the course with an OTSR

Best of luck

Regards Derren

Guest allthebests

Derren

That more than helps, cheers you've made my day. It took us over 2 years to get through paperwork to get here and it had been a long time since I looked into the details of how to get your license here.

I'm sure when I last looked I'd have been looking at a 2 week trip to SA and then converting to WA license, Perth is so much better.

Cheers again

Steve:biggrin:

Guest steven monk

Hey Guys, I have looked on here many times over the last 2 years but never wrote anything.....now im need of a bit of info. So I have been in Melbourne nearly 5 months looking for an Electrical Trade Assisstant job. I have my Supervised Workers Licence which allows me to work with a supervised sparky, however trying to get a job of any sort is a nightmare. Is it true i need to get 12 months on site experience before taking the Grade A exam ? And how much is it? Its catch 22 totally..... you need the experience to get the certificate but without the certificate no one will employe you!

Anyone who has had the same experience or information on this would be greeeeaat. I`m not chucking in the towl just yet!

Steve

Guest Richardm

Hello,

i have recently passed my City and guilds level 3 2330, but not done the NVQ i am aiming to go to Australia (Perth) on October the 1st on a working holiday visa for 12 months, and looking for a job, would an option to go to the TRA be a good option or try and look for an employer and then hopefully they put me into it etc, i think doing the NVQ in England would be quite pointless as i want to move to australia as soon as possible and its different situation, hopefully i could do an experience course out there etc, i have been working for a company for a year and learned a lot on the job, going to make my own portfolio and this could help? can someone please help, or anyone else had this sort of problems etc

Thanks

Richard

Hi, I have 176 visa granted, went down the vetassese route, so I currently have an OTSR. I have read that I can forget about the OTSR and apply for the ARTC instead, then do the peer veet course. On the application form it asks if I have a visa and what is the subclass. Does anyone know what the best thing to do here is? Say I havent got a visa as 176 is not listed on the form, or put it in as other type of visa and declare that I have the 176. I am thinking It might be better to say nothing about it and hopefully get the ARTC.

Any advice welcome.

Thanks.

Guest waynio

Hey i dont know if im on the right thread i am an electrician who emigrated 27/06/11 i have my restricted license and my white card. I was wondering if any one could help me in the search for a job please

Guest Marc193

This thread has helped me out so much, just started looking into moving to aus with my current qualifications ( C&G 2330 , NVQ LVL 2 & 3, 17th edition update and my AM2). All of this done in my four year apprentership. Can anyone give me a hand, everywhere i look just keeps sending me round in circles. I've got a three A4 sheets of notes sitting here all different options but do you feel the best route in the end to take is the vetassess way. As i am a single man no family to support ive read stuff about a 12-14 week evening course tafe college. Please help me im going round and round in circles.

Guest Richardm
Hey i dont know if im on the right thread i am an electrician who emigrated 27/06/11 i have my restricted license and my white card. I was wondering if any one could help me in the search for a job please

Waynio what is meant by the restricted License how do you get one, because i am not fully fully qualified but want to stay there, i have level 2/3 technical certs and 2392 inspection and testing,?? and what is this white card?

Guest stixblue

Hi Peters

Please correct me if Im wrong but dont you have to submit a copy of your passport with the visa enclosed?

Stixblue