Guest James.S

Guest Pete and Lou

Oh and also just remember this system of the whole Vetassess thing is new to them too, until quite recently i believe you still had to do a ARTC applictaion to be re-assessed as a spark to be able to apply, it's a bit like the Vetassess, but they scrapped that thinking the Vetassess was good enough, in some states like QLD they don't and you still have to do the ARTC, so keep in there it will all be just fine in the end..

All the best;

James...

:jimlad:

Sorry James, but I think you might be wrong. I have just printed off the application form from the Queensland Government for an Application for electrical work licence/permit and in the qualification section it has an option to tick that you have an Offshore Technical Skills Record, which is what Vetassess issue you with. So they must recognise it.

Lou

Guest welshspark

I have emailed what I think is the right person in Qld about the Artc and do you need it but still waiting for a reply as soon as I get 1 I will post it

Guest Daz & Claire
I have emailed what I think is the right person in Qld about the Artc and do you need it but still waiting for a reply as soon as I get 1 I will post it

Just had an email back from vetassess with some details about the next steps once your in aus.

I have put two attachments (hope they work) on here one saying if you got an offshore technical skills record what your allowed to do in each state, the other talking about gap training to bring you up to the Australian standard. (or down from what i've heard).

Daz

Guest James.S
Oh and also just remember this system of the whole Vetassess thing is new to them too, until quite recently i believe you still had to do a ARTC applictaion to be re-assessed as a spark to be able to apply, it's a bit like the Vetassess, but they scrapped that thinking the Vetassess was good enough, in some states like QLD they don't and you still have to do the ARTC, so keep in there it will all be just fine in the end..

All the best;

James...

:jimlad:

Sorry James, but I think you might be wrong. I have just printed off the application form from the Queensland Government for an Application for electrical work licence/permit and in the qualification section it has an option to tick that you have an Offshore Technical Skills Record, which is what Vetassess issue you with. So they must recognise it.

Lou

Hi Lou, that's great news... when i was considering QLD a while back they didn't look at the OTSR and insisted on the ARTC to prove qualifications & experiance...

Glad to be wrong... or out of date..!

Have just looked at the info from Daz and basically the OTSR will give you the same in each state, gap training will be required.... reading the pdf's it would imply the ARTC is not required anymore..?

Why this all has to be so confusing god only knows...!

All the best..

James...

Guest kieran&tina

this is all good stuff to hear.i am in the middle of processing my visa,can anyone shine any light on the rates of pay on offer,and the range of work

Guest welshspark

So from what I have just read we no longer have to apply for the ARTC because we have passed the vetassess so will be able to apply straight away for the pro liecnce can this only be applied for after your visa has been granted or can u do it before

Guest chris_mac
Just had an email back from vetassess with some details about the next steps once your in aus.

I have put two attachments (hope they work) on here one saying if you got an offshore technical skills record what your allowed to do in each state, the other talking about gap training to bring you up to the Australian standard. (or down from what i've heard).

Daz

Hi Daz

these two docs are just the ones they give you once you pass the vetassess practical.. Not much use really mate...

Here is the link for permits for Queensland and different categories... Hope it helps..

Classes of licences

Chris

General Electrician

Applied TRA Aug 07

TRA Retuned Oct (Skill path D removed)

Re-applied Vetassess 01.01.08

Vetassess Paper Assess Passed 10.04.08

House up for sale 28.03.08 sold 14.04.08 (3 weeks, crikey)

Vetassess Practical 15.07.08

Practical Passed 11.08.08

176 Visa Application submitted 11.09.08

DIAC Acknowledgement 24.09.08

Sent Police checks 27.08.08 - Recieved 06.09.08

Medicals done 12.01.09

Guest chris_mac

This is an old post that i have brought up written by Bernie, thanks Bernie, for those taking their practical in Feb.... Pretty much similar to what i did as well and probs Mark and Ginny!

There is a few who have done the practical now so if you want more infor just search Electrical Vetassess and im sure loads will come up..

Practical Assessment

If you are due to do a practical electrician assessment with VETASSESS, it will take place in City College, Birmingham,London. Edinburgh etc and will be over 2 days. It is your responsibility to find accomodation.

A practical assessment is outlined, and you are provided with an individual work bay in the college. You are provided with info on what is required -ie cables run in conduit (saddle bends etc), surface mounted, distribution board, accessories etc. All materials are provided (eg switches, cable, d/b,mcb's, conduit). At the end (allowed 3hrs) you will need to test the electrical installation (IR and continuity), record results, and finally make the inst. live. I recommend you take your IR/Cont tester (make sure it's calibrated!).

After a brief lunch, you are then given a 3 page written test, and this covers questions such as resistors in parallel, series, units of measurements etc. The type of thing you learn at college....

There are another series of practicals. One of them is to wire a DOL starter from scratch with a remote on and emergency stop. After completion and working, a fault is made on this, and you have to carry out full test proceedures to rectify.

After all this, you are then given a series of technical questions verbally, and then this is followed by a technical interview.

I was absolutely knackered at the end!!

Everything is explained very well to you by the assessor. You are under constant supervision, and throughout the practical assessment you will be asked technical questions, such as expected readings on inspection and testing work, expected earth fault loop readings etc. This is from memory, and you are not allowed any books such as BS7671 on site guide etc.

You are required to wear PPE clothing etc as required by the college.

You will then find out if you have been successful by receipt of letter from Vetassess. The assessor is not able to provide you with the outcome.

It's worth all the hastle, because at the end of the day you are assessed here and not in Oz, and you are able to apply for provisional licence when you arrive in Oz. The assessor is from Box Hill TAFE, which is one of the organisations that carries out assessments of migrants in Oz.

Hope this helps anyone going down the electrician route with Vetassess.

Chris

(With thanks to Bernie)

General Electrician

Applied TRA Aug 07

Medicals done 12.01.09

Guest James.S
Hi Daz

these two docs are just the ones they give you once you pass the vetassess practical.. Not much use really mate...

Here is the link for permits for Queensland and different categories... Hope it helps..

Classes of licences

Chris

General Electrician

Applied TRA Aug 07

Medicals done 12.01.09

Hi Chris, I know these are the ones you get when you pass, but i was under the impression that was the most up to date info..?

Also that list on your link is from July 2005...

God only knows what the actualy process is... I will email he QLD dept to see if they can shed some light..!

All the best...

James..

Guest WarrenG
This is an old post that i have brought up written by Bernie, thanks Bernie, for those taking their practical in Feb.... Pretty much similar to what i did as well and probs Mark and Ginny!

Many thanks Chris / Bernie very helpful !

Is there a list of colleges around the UK where the Vetassess practical can be taken?

Warren

Hi Sparyinoz,

Look i'm pulling me hair out at mo,

I gotta 136 Visa, unfortunately i got over here 2 week before Xmas, but i've done my CPR and my LVR and so i've been told the ARTC decision is being made on the 15th and shouldn't be a problem. From what i understand i can then get permit to work or some sort of License which me i have to have someone check my work till i have got my Full License. To get that i need to do 2 courses. 1 is their Electrical Regs and 2 is the inspect and testing.

I've applied for over 20 jobs from Noosa to Brisbane and sent off countless Resume/CV and only got 1 interview from them. I've got a pretty varied CV (30years in the game) and i know the Sunshine Coast is very quiet at mo (some companies say that cos mines are slowing up further up they've had countless applications lately) but i do feel that not getting the full License is definetly a disadvantage infact several employers have said that.

I'm about to take a job which is'nt really what i wanted but they are prepared to stick by me while i do these 2 courses as long as i'm loyal to them, which makes me feel a little obliged really but i can't afford to hold out alot longer.:arghh:

I don't know if it's the same all over but these courses cannot be done in England. I knew of this in England but the impression i was given was employers would be more than happy to take you on while you did them. However when things are tight it is'nt so.

I have no idea as yet how long, where, How much and indeed what these courses are called as yet as contact over Xmas has been nil with authorities and i've been so intent on find a) A home b) work and c) all the bits just to get the license i can get.

Don't get me wrong i love it here, but why do have to make things so ******* hard and complicated. I gotta say tho' it follow there other standards here tho' ..........You need your driving license, Passport, etc just to buy an ice cream:laugh:

Arrived in OZ with permanent residency on a subclass 136 visa 10/04/07 QLD...

Got temp workers licence through TAFE and ARTC

Got told I needed an ARTC at first got refused on not enough info on my references. Had to contact old employers back in the UK for new ones with more info on. (wat a pain that was)...

Got my ARTC elec fitter elec mech 24/09/07

Enrolled on UTE31199 Cert III in Electrotechnology Systems Electrician at TAFE got told I could sit test when I wanted, waited a few weeks revised and went to evening class's , 1 hour a night for free as I was enrolled at TAFE.

Passed 17/11/07 Electrical Systems Safety M00 TNUE505.1A

Applied for Elec Licence got confirmation of approval,

Received licence card in post issued on 29/11/07

Have also just recently passed contractors course 18/10/08,

although had to wait till I had my elec licence 1 year before applying for contractors licence.....

All good I am technical person on my employers licence.....

Had to do CPR course and LVR(low voltage rescue) as part of licence approval.....

I was thinking VETTASSES would have helped the switch between UK n OZ obviously there is still a large **** UP

Guest Mark and Ginny

Hi Warren, as far as I know there are different test centres around the country; London, Accrington and Glasgow that I know of. When I did my assessment I wasn't given a choice of which one I wanted to go to, I had to travel to London from Wakefield in West Yorkshire. The guys on the day were from all over, one from Ireland as I remember.

Mark

Guest James.S

There is a few who have done the practical now so if you want more infor just search Electrical Vetassess and im sure loads will come up..

Practical Assessment

If you are due to do a practical electrician assessment with VETASSESS, it will take place in City College, Birmingham,London. Edinburgh etc and will be over 2 days. It is your responsibility to find accomodation.

A practical assessment is outlined, and you are provided with an individual work bay in the college. You are provided with info on what is required -ie cables run in conduit (saddle bends etc), surface mounted, distribution board, accessories etc. All materials are provided (eg switches, cable, d/b,mcb's, conduit). At the end (allowed 3hrs) you will need to test the electrical installation (IR and continuity), record results, and finally make the inst. live. I recommend you take your IR/Cont tester (make sure it's calibrated!).

After a brief lunch, you are then given a 3 page written test, and this covers questions such as resistors in parallel, series, units of measurements etc. The type of thing you learn at college....

There are another series of practicals. One of them is to wire a DOL starter from scratch with a remote on and emergency stop. After completion and working, a fault is made on this, and you have to carry out full test proceedures to rectify.

After all this, you are then given a series of technical questions verbally, and then this is followed by a technical interview.

I was absolutely knackered at the end!!

Everything is explained very well to you by the assessor. You are under constant supervision, and throughout the practical assessment you will be asked technical questions, such as expected readings on inspection and testing work, expected earth fault loop readings etc. This is from memory, and you are not allowed any books such as BS7671 on site guide etc.

You are required to wear PPE clothing etc as required by the college.

You will then find out if you have been successful by receipt of letter from Vetassess. The assessor is not able to provide you with the outcome.

It's worth all the hastle, because at the end of the day you are assessed here and not in Oz, and you are able to apply for provisional licence when you arrive in Oz. The assessor is from Box Hill TAFE, which is one of the organisations that carries out assessments of migrants in Oz.

Hope this helps anyone going down the electrician route with Vetassess.

Chris

(With thanks to Bernie)

General Electrician

Applied TRA Aug 07

Medicals done 12.01.09

Hi, have a look at page 1, on there i have detailed what happened when I did the Vetassess last summer with 'Welshspark', ours was over one day (finished around 3.30pm)... ours was also in a different order, i.e. the paper test was 1st thing, we could ask questions throughout and nothing was too detailed, they just want a good overall ability and understanding...

All the best..

James...

Guest Daz & Claire
Many thanks Chris / Bernie very helpful !

Is there a list of colleges around the UK where the Vetassess practical can be taken?

Warren

Hi Warren,

You can find the list of centres on thier website, i had to travel to london from north wales to take the electrical practicle www.vetassess.com.au . Be preparred for an early start.

Good news just recieved an email from Aus saying a request letter has been sent out. Hopefully asking for us to undergo our meds.

Fingers crossed.

Daz:laugh:

Guest chris_mac
Hi Warren,

You can find the list of centres on thier website, i had to travel to london from north wales to take the electrical practicle www.vetassess.com.au . Be preparred for an early start.

Good news just recieved an email from Aus saying a request letter has been sent out. Hopefully asking for us to undergo our meds.

Fingers crossed.

Daz:laugh:

Prior to the assessement you are asked which venue you prefare.. They give you a list a available colleges. My option was Scotland or London... I chose London..

Chris

General Electrician

Applied TRA Aug 07

Medicals done 12.01.09

Hi there - just wondered if you could help answer a query I have?

I have attached my original post to the bottom of this message to give you more of a background on us but the question I have is how much experience and what level of qualifications are you expected to have before applying through the vetasses route? My husband retrained last year, has part 1 and part 2 of his electrician's qualifications (2393 and 17th Edition). He has been working as a domestic electrician for a year. Would this be enough? We are in the process of applying for a regional sponsored visa 475 through my occupation but have just today found out that the rules have changed and my occupation is not longer on the list! Any help greatly appreciated. Thanks, Charlie

original message I posted:

Hi there

My husband and I have applied to SA SRS 475 visa. I am a policy officer, with quite a few years experience and my husband retrained last year as an Electrician (from Excavator Machine Driver). I have a degree and he has part 1 and part 2 of his electrician qualifications, allowing him to work in the UK as a domestic installer (which he has been doing for the last year).

I read a post on this site that said the occupations under the 475 visa have changed for South Australia. I since checked and my occupation has been removed. Can't believe it. I am waiting for a decision from SA immigration dept but as I submitted my application at the end of October, I am assuming I missed the deadline for the changes. Does anyone know any more about this?

I am now trying to think of other ways to emigrate. My husband and I attended an expo and thought the SRS visa was a good way to go as we like Adelaide and would be happy to locate there for min 2 years (we have a 2 year old so thought might be a good place to start).

We had considered going on a student visa so my husband could continue studying electrics but don't think we could survive on 20 hrs per week earning in our areas of work.

I would really appreciate any help or advice anyone can give.

Thanks very much, Charlie

Guest Ashby Dicko

Hi all at PIO

Just confirmed my Practical assessment General Electrician (4311-11)

Blackburn College, Lancashire. 19/02/2009

Is there anybody out there who's doing the exam on the same date or anybody to discuss preperation !!!!!

Vetassess Paperwork sent out in mid Dec 08 practicial booked today Mid jan!!

Neil(Ashby Dicko)

Guest Daz & Claire

Hi Charlie,

The critical list includes regional sponsored visa and i also think it includes employee sponsored visa so you shouls still be ok to apply.

Your husband needs more work experience before he becomes eligable for vetasess assessment.

Daz

Guest Daz & Claire

If i remember right, he needs at least 2 years full time experience for a vetassess assessment, And the wording in the 175 visa says something like he must of been working 2 out the last 4 years. You will need to read it carefully to see if he can apply.

Never say never is my moto.

Daz.

Guest Daz & Claire

Does any one Know what type of electrical licence i will need as a general electrician in Queensland, i.e. Domestic & commercial spark

Classes of electrical work licences

The following classes of electrical work licences may be

issued—

(a) electrical mechanic licence;

(b) electrical linesperson licence;

© electrical fitter licence;

(d) electrical jointer licence;

(e) restricted electrical work licence;

(f) electrical work training permit.

I understand i will need a provisional license and from what i can gather e) restricted electrical work licence, apply's to me.

Has anybody got this far yet?

Cheers Daz

Guest monkeyboy

hi,

Read all the pages on this thread. Thanks for the info. Could you help me? I currently work as a service engineer with an electrical bias for a packaging company . Apart from the General Electrician job title with Vetassess or TRA, does anyone know of a job title which will suit my current job title closer.

Just read e mail back from Queensland re electrical licence, how you apply etc etc. Does anyone know once passed the Vetassess can one apply from UK or do we have to wait till in Oz? Also i understand there is a 2nd part after this, Do any Sparks out there know how long this whole process takes?? I am the wife and probably over reacting but to me looks like will take forever and what does hubby do for work in meantime??!! As they said cannot work in this field till have the licence. Or is it a case that one applies for licence, gets it then works whilst doing the next required phase??

Feel like dreams are plumetting as so many hurdles!!