Guest James.S

Guest neil the spark

Sorry Darren, just sent you a private message, didnt notice was today you put the post on!! So ignore!! Sorry to hear not going well mate, keep us all up to date with any changes and wish you all the luck in the world and will keep fingers crossed

Neil

Guest James.S
Hi james, you forgot to say that the end of the pratical was actualy going to a pub and having a few pints and getting riped of by a taxi driver haha

Errrmmmm well yeah that part of the day was just the bonus..! didn't want to make it all sound too fun..

:biglaugh:

Guest James.S
Right weve been here for nigh on 6 weeks and still no JOB!!!!

Im so confused someone please give me some advise?:wacko:

I have a 136 visa , Passed my TRA check as a general elecrtician and were living 40minutes north west of Sydney in Kellyville.

I have applied to sooooo many Jobs over the internet but no luck so far? Ive had a few interviews but I think they just enjoy looking at the pommie its like going to a zoo???

Firstly I would love a job ?? Secondly I would love some advise on exatly what I have to do to get these Aussie licenses ?? How do I get my qualifications changed over to Aussie equivelents?

I was under the impression that I would strole into a job and could work SUPERVISED for 3 months or so and have an on site examination and get my B license? Then I could work UN SUPERVISED but couldnt sign off any works till I went back to college to do some course and get my A license and then I could do what I want??

But nothing seems that easy now were here??

People have told me that I dont stand a chance of getting a job till "the nutty seasons" Over?? Which is in Feb sometime well by that time I will still be Nutty and the wife even more so!!!

If any other English Sparkies out there whos has already sorted every thing and can give this confused fella a hand it would be greatly received??

If I do sort a job soon I will have to work on a chook farm collecting eggs??

Hi, so i guess first things first, you are right bang in the middle of the summer holiday's and Xmas, it's the worst time to try to find work for anyone. Given the whole global recession and trying to keep cash flow under checks a lot of companies have shut down for a couple of weeks over Xmas, also until Aussie day (26th Jan), most companies are on half steam as a lot of people are still on holiday as the kids don't go back to school until the following week...

Regarding licencing, I'm not exactly sure what a 136 is, I am here waiting for my 175, did you do a Vetassess? or any pre-qualification in th Uk..?, if so (you have a Vetassess) you can then apply to get your licence from the NSW gov website this will be a supervised licence. You will then have to do a reg's course i think through a TAFFE (or something like that) college, you then also have to have i think 1 years on site experiance, and then you can apply for the full contractor unsupervised A licence, (you will have to have your years worth of experiance signed off by a full licence holder).. basicaly we go back to be sparkies labourers for a year..!

It sounds a lot and drawn out but it is less to do than other states.!

Have a look at the NSW gov licencing website, it may help, i am going to email them to get a clear list of exactly what to do and in what order, i will post it once they have done so..!

Good luck, let us all know how it all goes..

I'm in Sydney now and travelling up to Coffs Harbour on Friday so will be passing your way at some point.. will wave out the window..!

All the best,

James...

:jimlad:

Guest Mark and Ginny

Hi guys, just a few pointers that have come to mind regarding getting the Provisional in NSW. The head office of Fairtrading is in Paramatta and if you go to another district to complete your application it will have to be sent there, thus adding more time to the application. You have to take your OTSR, a passport photo, passport, medicare card and some kind of letter showing your Oz adress plus a fee of $115. One other thing is that before you are allowed on a building site you have to do the Green/White Card which is a basic H&S course that is done on a 6hr classroom course for another $100-$120. I also think there is a first aid course for anyone working with electricity for CPR purposes, another $120. I would look into all of this depending on the state you live in as it will probably differ in some way.

By the way, I have managed to get an interview for next Monday so I will let you know how it goes and if I can find out anymore info I wil be sure to let you know.

Mark

Guest jogrant3232
Hi guys, just a few pointers that have come to mind regarding getting the Provisional in NSW. The head office of Fairtrading is in Paramatta and if you go to another district to complete your application it will have to be sent there, thus adding more time to the application. You have to take your OTSR, a passport photo, passport, medicare card and some kind of letter showing your Oz adress plus a fee of $115. One other thing is that before you are allowed on a building site you have to do the Green/White Card which is a basic H&S course that is done on a 6hr classroom course for another $100-$120. I also think there is a first aid course for anyone working with electricity for CPR purposes, another $120. I would look into all of this depending on the state you live in as it will probably differ in some way.

By the way, I have managed to get an interview for next Monday so I will let you know how it goes and if I can find out anymore info I wil be sure to let you know.

Mark

Mark as ever you are very professional in giving good advice, you should of come to Perth mate and sorted all my stuff out would of saved me loads of time, on second thoughts that may of meant i would of had a job by now so maybe you being over East wasnt a bad thing,

Love to the girls from fat ba****d

Guest WarrenG

Hi Guys,

Been trying to find an email address for Vetassess to tackle them about the process required when you arrive in Oz for electricians but can't seem to find one?

Does anyone know if there is one floating about or am I going to have to set my clock and call them?

Guest James.S
Hi Guys,

Been trying to find an email address for Vetassess to tackle them about the process required when you arrive in Oz for electricians but can't seem to find one?

Does anyone know if there is one floating about or am I going to have to set my clock and call them?

Hi, it's www.vetassess.com.au if you are wanting to know about the process once in Oz then you would have already done the Vetassess bit so my advice would be to contact the trade department for whichever state you are looking to go into, i have the NSW details if you are coming this way...

All the best...

James...

Guest James.S
I have just emailed the queensland dept waiting for reply.

Hi, I did the NSW dept a couple of day's ago, they said it will take 7-10 day's to get back to me...

James...

Guest choochoo
Hi, I did the NSW dept a couple of day's ago, they said it will take 7-10 day's to get back to me...

James...

Hi

New to the site so after some advice.I have been out of the spark game for about 7 years but can come over on rsms visa which means i am employer sponsored in certain rural areas.Does anyone know anything about this visa or what tests etc i will need to do out there.

chris

Hi

I would like to know how easy is it to get a work sponsor in Australia if you are an electrician from the UK?

I am looking to moving to Queensland near friends in Caloundra, however, before I even apply for my visa , it would be gret to know if it is at all possible?

Also, are there any websites out there where I can either put my details on for australian employers to look at for work sponsors?

Any help would be gratefully appreciated, as not to sure which way to go next??

Many thanks

ANDY

Guest chris_mac
Hi

I would like to know how easy is it to get a work sponsor in Australia if you are an electrician from the UK?

I am looking to moving to Queensland near friends in Caloundra, however, before I even apply for my visa , it would be gret to know if it is at all possible?

Also, are there any websites out there where I can either put my details on for australian employers to look at for work sponsors?

Any help would be gratefully appreciated, as not to sure which way to go next??

Many thanks

ANDY

Hey Andy

Im looking to move to Caloundra and also a spark.... Spoke to a few people over there and been twice, its harder getting a job near the coast as say in the city.. One of the biggest recruitment agencies is SEEK .. The hardest thing Andy is getting your licence on landing...

Good luck

Chris

General Electrician

Applied TRA Aug 07

TRA Retuned Oct (Skill path D removed)

Re-applied Vetassess 01.01.08

Vetassess Paper Assess Passed 10.04.08

House up for sale 28.03.08 sold 14.04.08 (3 weeks, crikey)

Vetassess Practical 15.07.08

Practical Passed 11.08.08

176 Visa Application submitted 11.09.08

DIAC Acknowledgement 24.09.08

Sent Police checks 27.08.08 - Recieved 06.09.08

Medicals Booked 12.01.09

Waiting C/O

Hey Andy

Im looking to move to Caloundra and also a spark.... Spoke to a few people over there and been twice, its harder getting a job near the coast as say in the city.. One of the biggest recruitment agencies is SEEK .. The hardest thing Andy is getting your licence on landing...

Good luck

Chris

General Electrician

Applied TRA Aug 07

Medicals Booked 12.01.09

Waiting C/O

Thanks! ................ I will look at SEEK, and in the meantime, continue with my visa application. I noticed your listing of stages you have done, is this what I need to do "step by step"??

Apologies, but a bit of a novice with this!

Friends of mine in Caloundra, have said that alot of people travel the 1 hours journey to Brisbane to work, which if needs be, I am happy to do.

Guest chris_mac
Thanks! ................ I will look at SEEK, and in the meantime, continue with my visa application. I noticed your listing of stages you have done, is this what I need to do "step by step"??

Friends of mine in Caloundra, have said that alot of people travel the 1 hours journey to Brisbane to work, which if needs be, I am happy to do.

Yes mate, most time lines are a true description of what is involved and time it takes... However, everyones is different if you know what i mean!

Chris

General Electrician

Applied TRA Aug 07

Medicals Booked 12.01.09

Waiting C/O

Guest James.S

Hi GIZMOS, nice to have you on the thread, when your looking at chris-mac's 'step by step' bit, that's only the hoops for the visa, there will be more 'steps' in getting your licence, in some states in can take around a year to be able to work unsupervised as you can in the UK..

It will be well worth it in the end though..!

All the best & good luck with everything,

James...

Guest Daz & Claire

Hi James,

thanks for this thread, just read through it all some good pointers for us to look at.

I have already passed my vetesses, carried out a police check and IELTS and our visa application was sent in june 08. But still waiting, god knows how long this is going to take.

I'm going to get our medicals done in the hope to speed things up. we didn't do this part as we thought you had to be told by the processing centre first, but after reading these threads i noticed someone had already done the meds/xrays before sending their visa off.

Do you know whether we are allowed to come over to oz on a holiday visa before our 175 visa is granted, because i thought you had to be out of the country when it is granted?

I've had no luck finding a job over the internet they've all said come and see us once your in aus, so i thought i come come sooner rather than later to get out of this dump.

Daz

Guest James.S
Hi James,

thanks for this thread, just read through it all some good pointers for us to look at.

I have already passed my vetesses, carried out a police check and IELTS and our visa application was sent in june 08. But still waiting, god knows how long this is going to take.

I'm going to get our medicals done in the hope to speed things up. we didn't do this part as we thought you had to be told by the processing centre first, but after reading these threads i noticed someone had already done the meds/xrays before sending their visa off.

Do you know whether we are allowed to come over to oz on a holiday visa before our 175 visa is granted, because i thought you had to be out of the country when it is granted?

I've had no luck finding a job over the internet they've all said come and see us once your in aus, so i thought i come come sooner rather than later to get out of this dump.

Daz

Hi Daz, nice to have you on board..!

Our 175 went in Aug 08, we then loaded it with the med's and police checks about 6 weeks later, we weren't asked we just wanted to try to speed things up, no word from them yet so god knows if it worked.!

We are here now on a 3 month toursit visa whislt waiting for the 175 to come through.. we will then have to fly to New Zealand to get the stamp in the passort and then re-enter Oz under the new visa..

We have rented our place out in the UK and all our stuff is being shippped over as we speak (or type..!), if the 175 doesn't come through before the tourist expires we will apply for an extension, this you can do in 3 month increments for up to 12 months.. so fingers crosssed..!

Good luck with the rest of the hurdles..!. where are you looking to head to..?

All the best,

James...

Guest darren gosling

:arghh: AHHHHHHHHHHHHHH Its all a load of bolloxs mate this???

Ive been sent from pillar to post and Im more confused than when I stepped of the plane???

Ive talked to the fair tradeing bods and they sent me to VTT who have sent me to the TRA which I passed for my visa application but Ive got to do that again coz it dont mean F@#K all that one was for my visa ONLY??? Then they send me back to the Fair trading bods who then send me to www.blis.fairtrading.nsw.gov.au and theres loads of different lincence but not the one they have told me I need (nominated supervisor)

Bloody hell I need a job and some help here going mental !!!!!:cry:

On here seems to know or care about this poor little pommie!!! Fair tradeing my arse they are just there to make ya mad Im sure??

Crazy downunder??????????????????????????????????????????????

Guest Mark and Ginny

Hi guys, I've just got a quick update on how things went today. I had an interview this morning in Newcastle NSW, things went well and I got offered the job, starting next week if I want to. Good news as this was one of the first I called. The down side is that the wage is just $22/hr until the A license is granted.

The other good news is that I received the provisional license from NSW Fairtrading today, I'm doing the H & S Greencard on wednesday and I was told that I dont have to do the First Aid course, its not a neccessity.

Good luck Darren in getting your stuff sorted, sounds like a nightmare.

Also its good to have some new guys on here as well, I hope all goes well!

Mark

Guest Daz & Claire
Hi Daz, nice to have you on board..!

Our 175 went in Aug 08, we then loaded it with the med's and police checks about 6 weeks later, we weren't asked we just wanted to try to speed things up, no word from them yet so god knows if it worked.!

We are here now on a 3 month toursit visa whislt waiting for the 175 to come through.. we will then have to fly to New Zealand to get the stamp in the passort and then re-enter Oz under the new visa..

We have rented our place out in the UK and all our stuff is being shippped over as we speak (or type..!), if the 175 doesn't come through before the tourist expires we will apply for an extension, this you can do in 3 month increments for up to 12 months.. so fingers crosssed..!

Good luck with the rest of the hurdles..!. where are you looking to head to..?

All the best,

James...

Thanks for the info on tourist visa, thats a big help.

We've been to Coffs harbour area its lovely. Stayed at the Sacred Mountain retreat near Nambucca Heads about three years ago, when we travelled around to see where we liked the most. All of what we seen from Adelaide to Brisbane is fantastic but we are planning to go to Redcliff area top side of Brisbane as we have friends there. Hopefully I will be able to find work there.

One thought we're having at the moment, is because we have got 3 Children we don't think we'll be able to put them into school while were waiting for the visa to come through. and because you can't work on a holiday visa it will dip into the funds too much.

I'm emailing vetassess to get there angle on what my next steps will be once my visa is granted, will keep you informed.

Daz

Guest James.S
Thanks for the info on tourist visa, thats a big help.

We've been to Coffs harbour area its lovely. Stayed at the Sacred Mountain retreat near Nambucca Heads about three years ago, when we travelled around to see where we liked the most. All of what we seen from Adelaide to Brisbane is fantastic but we are planning to go to Redcliff area top side of Brisbane as we have friends there. Hopefully I will be able to find work there.

One thought we're having at the moment, is because we have got 3 Children we don't think we'll be able to put them into school while were waiting for the visa to come through. and because you can't work on a holiday visa it will dip into the funds too much.

I'm emailing vetassess to get there angle on what my next steps will be once my visa is granted, will keep you informed.

Daz

Cheer Daz, We are off up to Noosa to have a look there at the end of the week (it's northern Brissy too i think..!) if that doesn't work out then we might actually just end up back here in Coffs..!

I know what you mean about the schooling though, my son will need to go straight into year 1 in feb, if our visa isn't through then the cost for him to be classed as an international student is almost 3 times the normal fee (we want him to go to a steiner school so will be paying for it), so you having 3 will be a complete mare..!

Good luck... let us know how it all goes..

James...

Guest James.S
:arghh: AHHHHHHHHHHHHHH Its all a load of bolloxs mate this???

Ive been sent from pillar to post and Im more confused than when I stepped of the plane???

Ive talked to the fair tradeing bods and they sent me to VTT who have sent me to the TRA which I passed for my visa application but Ive got to do that again coz it dont mean F@#K all that one was for my visa ONLY??? Then they send me back to the Fair trading bods who then send me to www.blis.fairtrading.nsw.gov.au and theres loads of different lincence but not the one they have told me I need (nominated supervisor)

Bloody hell I need a job and some help here going mental !!!!!

On here seems to know or care about this poor little pommie!!! Fair tradeing my arse they are just there to make ya mad Im sure??

Crazy downunder??????????????????????????????????????????????

Hi, don't go too crazy it shouldn't be that tough....

The NSW BLIS site is crap..! go to:

www.fairtrading.nsw.gov.au/About_us/Forms/Builder_and_tradespeople_forms.html

On there you will see a link for VETASSESS applicant - electrical work, that will then open another window will all the pdf's and application info you will need to apply for the provisional as long as you have a valid visa and passed the Vetassess..!

Once that is with you work should not be too tough, you will need the health and safety card too, just ask if you need that info as well...

Oh and also just remember this system of the whole Vetassess thing is new to them too, until quite recently i believe you still had to do a ARTC applictaion to be re-assessed as a spark to be able to apply, it's a bit like the Vetassess, but they scrapped that thinking the Vetassess was good enough, in some states like QLD they don't and you still have to do the ARTC, so keep in there it will all be just fine in the end..

All the best;

James...

Guest windyonerz

hi, your thread was really usefull. could you give me anymore details on the vetassess day ! it sounds like an am2+. do they send you any details on what they'll be testing you on ? i'm a bit concerned about the science questions (it's been so long & never a strong point).

also i have very little knowledge of motors. i will be doing my test in april, & would like to avoid any possible egg on face. thanks again.