Guest James.S

Guest James.S

Hello, i figured it may be useful to start a thread that would pull together peoples experiances of trying to gt to Oz as a spark, or what it's like over there as one..!

It seems there are a lot of us out there! i am mainly domestic, but with a good measure of 3-phase and light commercial thrown in!

I am on my way to Oz, have let our property in London and are travelling around to get a feel of where to live, probably somewhere north of Sydney.

I did the Vetassess in the summer of 2008, i am waiting for the 175 to come through and will then be applying for the ARTC, i am going to try to do the wiring reg's asap and then apply for the license without much on shore experinace as i have been told it is possible.... well worth a punt anyhow..!

To start the 'helpful' bit of this thread off the following is what my Vetassess day was like;

Vetassess assesment is very broad, it seems to look at electronics, domestic wiring as well as light industrial, they seem to be looking for a general level of competance and an understanding of most things.

Electrical units you are quite right in that they expect you to know all of the basic definitions (V, I, R, Z, etc) this will ensure you can understand / answer the paper based question...

ELV, yes 50v in a AC circuit and 120v in a DC... etc etc..

As far as learning all of the formulas off by heart it can do your head in slightly, what i did was refresh myself with all of the basics, ohm's law, reisitance & reactance calculations, RMS etc, i did take a few notes in with me but to honest never needed them..

What did come up that i didn't expect though was transformer winds ratio's and quite a lot of health and safety stuff.

One thing to note (which did worry me a bit!) is that it is all done to our reg's not the AUS/NZ reg's as they are quite different in some respects..

If it helps i will just quickly run through my day for you;

07.45 regsitration, we had to show passports for id etc.

08.00 paper based test, we had to do a few ohms law calculations, resisitance calculations showing overall resistance of circuits with resistors connected in series and/or connected in parrallel, transformer wind ratio's and some general health and safety stuff.

09.00 we were taken into the main practicle room, here we were each given our own boothe, we had to then instal from a paper diagram a consumer unit with x2 circuits, one was for a socket outlet, one was for a lighting circuit with a two way lighting arrangement. the installation used all methods of wirng, T&E clipped, in plastic conduit, metal conduit and loose cable also... this took all day as whilst this was going on we were each individually taken off to do the following;

1, wire up a DOL motor control circuit with thermal overload and on/off switching, we could choose whether to wire it in star or delta.

2, had to connect up a simple pin board with resistors and then calculate the overall resistance of the circuit one arrangement being with the resistors in parrallel and one with a couple in series as well, we also had to test it to prove our calculations.

3, we then had to safely isolate and disconnect a dummy motor, we had to lock it off, apply safety tag's and notices, note down the direction of rotation, power rating, etc, we then had to reconnect it. prior to doing this though we had to write down the whole of the isolation and disconnection process as if we were on site, and the reconnection process, we then also had to test to prove all was safe.

finally we then had to test our main installtion, all of the basic domestic tests you would expect, we all aslo had to prove our 2 way lighting worked!

The day ended around 4pm, we had all had a 1hr lunch break.

There were 8 guys on my test day including myself, all of us bar one had brought our own tools, the guy who hadn't was lent some so it didn't seem to matter either way...

I hope this thread proves useful, if not then... at least i tried..!

If anyone has any useful infor about the ARTC, wiring reg's, on shore experiance or contractor license i would greatly appreciate it..

All the best and hppy sparkin...

James...

Guest leeob77

good idea for a thread.

the best advice i can offer is to look into the whole process in as much detail as possible before you go over there. do not assume that once you have your visa then your sorted for moving to oz and getting work. you have to be licensed to carry out any electrical work unsupervised.

research what you will need to get your license for the state you will be working in and do as much as possible from the uk before you go. also become familiar with the different classifications for electricians (electrical mechanic or electrical fitter) and decide which one describes the work you do.

be prepared for the fact that it could take up to a year from arriving in oz to getting your unrestricted license. check if you have to sit any practical or theory exams and what they entail. i was going to do my license in WA but it would have taken between two and six months. im now doing it in South Australia where it will take me three days!

i thought that once i had my visa i was sorted and that people would be throwing job offers at me! i would have been completely knackered if i had gone over wearing blinkers.

lee.

Guest Mark and Ginny

Hi guys, I have just arrived in NSW on a 175 visa. I did the Vetassess route too. By doing this route I don't think you get an ARTC, you get an Offshore Technical Skills Record (OTSR) which enables you to get the Provisional License that lets you work and run jobs but not sign them off, that has to be done by an A Licensed sparky working above you. I have enrolled at college and do the exams in September. You also need 12 months Australian wiring experience before you can apply for the full A license.

Just getting the Prov. License was a ball ache as I was the first Vetassess sparky to come into NSW and no one new what the hell I was talking about, they do now!

Mark:hug:

Guest James.S
Hi guys, I have just arrived in NSW on a 175 visa. I did the Vetassess route too. By doing this route I don't think you get an ARTC, you get an Offshore Technical Skills Record (OTSR) which enables you to get the Provisional License that lets you work and run jobs but not sign them off, that has to be done by an A Licensed sparky working above you. I have enrolled at college and do the exams in September. You also need 12 months Australian wiring experience before you can apply for the full A license.

Just getting the Prov. License was a ball ache as I was the first Vetassess sparky to come into NSW and no one new what the hell I was talking about, they do now!

Mark:hug:

Hi Mark, dam useful stuff as i was wondering why on the NSW Office of Fair Trading website there is a link on the applying for a license that mentions the Vetassess applicants, but then it just reverts to the same info as the normal license application page...(doesn't make any sense..?)...

I figured it may be because with the OTSR you could go straight for the provisional and then get the A license once you have done the wiring reg's course, had a years worth of on site experiance and had a A license holder or supervisor sign you off or act as a referee... and not bother with the ARTC...

It's all quite confusing from this end as there doesn't seem to be a clear route...!

Where are you based..? I am thinking of heading to Coffs Harbour or somewhere around there...

All the best,

James...

:elvis:

Guest Mark and Ginny

Hi James, we are staying with family at the moment in a beutiful part of the Hunter Valley. We had originally planned to live on the Central Coast but this country living is great at the moment, but I will find some work after Christmas so that will decide upon where. I thought by living on the Central Coast I could commute to either Sydney or Newcastle area depending where the work is. I have a few CV's to send over the hols!

Mark

• 2 weeks later...
Guest WarrenG

Hi guys!

Hopefully this will push this thead back up!

I have been searching the forum for electrician's to try and get some info and found this thread. All seems confusing to say the least, however I am just putting the paperwork assessment Vetassess to get things rolling and and looking to apply for a 176 visa so any tips would be appreciated.

Thank you for the tips for the practical, its very handy to know what your up against even though its probably not new stuff, its stuff that may need refreshing.

New to the site so I will start to add bits to my profile as I go and keep checking this thread!

Regards

Warren

Electrician

Hi James, thanks for the info... It really does get very confusing!! My OH scott is doing his practical in feb, so this thread will help him with some revision that i keep trying to push him to do, but you know what you men are like, he just keeps saying " dont worry, everything will be fine !" yeah right ! How can i not worry, cant wait to leave this place . Hehe... Anyway thanks for the help, and good luck to all you sparkies out there, its a long road but well worth it we hope !! Tina.

Guest Mark and Ginny

Hi guys, I just wanted to wish you all the best with the applications and the skills test. If you require any info, just post on here and I'm sure someone will be able to answer any queeries.

Mark

Guest James.S
Hi Tina, we have no idea why it was so quick, just lucky and very grateful!

Mark

That was very quick... any chance you could push my visa along..! any suggestions most welcome..? who did you bribe..?

James...

:rolleyes:

Guest Mark and Ginny

Sorry James, I promised I wouldn't tell. There does seem to be some corruption around in Oz from what I've seen on the TV though!

Guest James.S
Sorry James, I promised I wouldn't tell. There does seem to be some corruption around in Oz from what I've seen on the TV though!

Shame... was worth a try though..!

James...

:jimlad:

Guest sparkyinoz

Arrived in OZ with permanent residency on a subclass 136 visa 10/04/07 QLD...

Got temp workers licence through TAFE and ARTC

Got told I needed an ARTC at first got refused on not enough info on my references. Had to contact old employers back in the UK for new ones with more info on. (wat a pain that was)...

Got my ARTC elec fitter elec mech 24/09/07

Enrolled on UTE31199 Cert III in Electrotechnology Systems Electrician at TAFE got told I could sit test when I wanted, waited a few weeks revised and went to evening class's , 1 hour a night for free as I was enrolled at TAFE.

Passed 17/11/07 Electrical Systems Safety M00 TNUE505.1A

Applied for Elec Licence got confirmation of approval,

Received licence card in post issued on 29/11/07

Have also just recently passed contractors course 18/10/08,

although had to wait till I had my elec licence 1 year before applying for contractors licence.....

All good I am technical person on my employers licence.....

Had to do CPR course and LVR(low voltage rescue) as part of licence approval.....

I was thinking VETTASSES would have helped the switch between UK n OZ obviously there is still a large **** UP

Guest WarrenG

Hi Guys & Gals,

I sent an email to the Department of Employment and Industrial Relations in QLD to find out further information on what was required to be able to work as an electrican and obtain a license. This is the responce that was emailed back to me:

DEPARTMENT OF EMPLOYMENT AND INDUSTRIAL RELATIONS

ABN 52 293 849 579

Workplace Health & Safety Queensland Infoline

Freecall: 1300 369 915 Phone: 07-32474711

Our Reference:xxxxx

Date: 06/01/2009

To: Mr xxxxx

Dear Mr xxxxx,

Thank you for your email regarding applying for an Electrical License in Queensland.

The steps to obtain an electrical licence for overseas trained electricians are as follows:

1. You will need to have an Australian Trades Recognition Certificate issued to you from Trades Recognition Australia. You will need to contact this organization to organise this qualification. The website for Trades Recognition Australia is workplace.gov.au - Trades Recognition Australia. You will need to contact the Melbourne Office about a Domestic Skills Assessment and not the pre-migration assessment.
  2. Once you have been issued this Certificate you can apply for the Electrical Licence by completing the application form (form 11). This application form is available at: http://www.deir.qld.gov.au/pdf/eso/otherlicence_form11.pdf The Guidelines attached to this form provided a detailed explanation of the application process and what information is required to be supplied by you.
  3. If your application is successful you will be issue a permit to attend a Registered Training Organisation (RTO) to complete any necessary training required. At the completion of your training the RTO will forward a Completion Statement to the Electrical Safety Office. Once this training is complete you can apply for the Electrical Work Licence by completing the application form (form 31). http://www.deir.qld.gov.au/pdf/eso/permitlicence_form31.pdf
    If a complete application is received within 6 months of the permit being issued you will not be required to pay the additional application fee.

The Pre-Migration Skills Assessment is carried out whilst you are overseas. You are required to be resident in Australia before you can be issued with an Australian Recognised Trade Certificate. You must be present in Australia to attend the training at the RTO, who may require some on the job experience to be obtained as part of the course.

I haven't investigated it any further as yet, but hopefully it will helps others too.

Warren.

Guest James.S

Warren,

Great post...

They seem really helpful, shame there is so much to do to be able to actualy work though isn't it... I think i will do a similar email to the NSW department to find out what their official line is as it's all a bit confusing..!

All the best...

James...

Guest dawn77

hi james, just wondering what part of NSW you looking at moving to, we are looking at wollongong area, my other half is a electrician,would be great to keep in touch see how each one gets on.

we are off on our reckie in april and plan to take a look around wollongong /illawarra areas, hopefully ask about , see whats going on in the job front for electricians.

we started the vetasess last year, steve got the paper part back he had got through ok, but when it came to doing his practical , i got cold feet and we decided to leave it for a while to see if i would change my mind, so we decided to go on a reckie so i could see what its like.

great thread you started ,nice to know there are people in the same boat.

we also plan to go on the 175 visa, but will have to wait and see how it goes in april.

Guest James.S
hi james, just wondering what part of NSW you looking at moving to, we are looking at wollongong area, my other half is a electrician,would be great to keep in touch see how each one gets on.

we are off on our reckie in april and plan to take a look around wollongong /illawarra areas, hopefully ask about , see whats going on in the job front for electricians.

we started the vetasess last year, steve got the paper part back he had got through ok, but when it came to doing his practical , i got cold feet and we decided to leave it for a while to see if i would change my mind, so we decided to go on a reckie so i could see what its like.

great thread you started ,nice to know there are people in the same boat.

we also plan to go on the 175 visa, but will have to wait and see how it goes in april.

Hi Dawn,

I am in Sydney at the moment but at the end of the week we are travelling up to Coff's Harbour, we are staying there for about 10 days to see if we can make a go of it either there or closer to Byron Bay... All depends on property, job, schools etc etc..

If up there doesn't work out then we will probably head back to Sydney, maybe to the south side as we have a few friends there who could help out, but to be honest given the whole financial nightmare in the UK we have not got anywhere near as much money as we thought we would have so the cheaper the better..!

Coffs and around there seem's to have quite a housing construction / population boom at the moment so the prospect of work for sparks looks quite good and the cost of living is a lot better than in Sydney.. i hope..!

Will post on here how it all goes in due course, nice to have you on board, hopefully there will be info on here of use..!

All the best,

James...

:biggrin:

Guest WarrenG
Warren,

Great post...

They seem really helpful, shame there is so much to do to be able to actualy work though isn't it... I think i will do a similar email to the NSW department to find out what their official line is as it's all a bit confusing..!

All the best...

James...

Hi James,

Well hopefully its the right information and there are no cross wires with Vetassess?

I simply sent them a nice email asking what was needed to be done in Oz and got that reply so there is some hope. I'm just getting the paperwork ready for the Vetassess paperwork assessment, so just one step at a time for us at the moment.

It does seem a bit long winded to begin work if you have already been assessed in the UK by Vetassess, I thought that was the whole point of the guys coming to the UK in the first place to assess us and see if we have the electrical knowledge to adapt for the Oz system.

Anyway if this thread could keep going with more useful tips then we will all be on a winner! :jiggy:

Guest welshspark

Hi james, you forgot to say that the end of the pratical was actualy going to a pub and having a few pints and getting riped of by a taxi driver haha

Guest darren gosling

Right weve been here for nigh on 6 weeks and still no JOB!!!!

Im so confused someone please give me some advise?:wacko:

I have a 136 visa , Passed my TRA check as a general elecrtician and were living 40minutes north west of Sydney in Kellyville.

I have applied to sooooo many Jobs over the internet but no luck so far? Ive had a few interviews but I think they just enjoy looking at the pommie its like going to a zoo???

Firstly I would love a job ?? Secondly I would love some advise on exatly what I have to do to get these Aussie licenses ?? How do I get my qualifications changed over to Aussie equivelents?

I was under the impression that I would strole into a job and could work SUPERVISED for 3 months or so and have an on site examination and get my B license? Then I could work UN SUPERVISED but couldnt sign off any works till I went back to college to do some course and get my A license and then I could do what I want??

But nothing seems that easy now were here??

People have told me that I dont stand a chance of getting a job till "the nutty seasons" Over?? Which is in Feb sometime well by that time I will still be Nutty and the wife even more so!!!

If any other English Sparkies out there whos has already sorted every thing and can give this confused fella a hand it would be greatly received??

If I do sort a job soon I will have to work on a chook farm collecting eggs??:goofy:

Guest Mark and Ginny

Hi guys,

It does seem like we are all in the same boat. At the moment we are confused by the differences between the TRA and Vetassess and the different requirements that each state in Oz places on the issue of either Provisional or full A licenses. I know from my own experiences so far in NSW that the Vetassess system is very new and it is going to take a while for things to run smoothly and for everyone concerned at Fairtrading who issue the licenses, to be fully understanding of it all. Meanwhile we will keep paving the way for those that follow and hopefully we will find work in the meantime and eventually get the outcome that we desire...a decent job and the A License.

Good luck guys,

Mark

Guest WarrenG
Hi Guys & Gals,

I sent an email to the Department of Employment and Industrial Relations in QLD to find out further information on what was required to be able to work as an electrican and obtain a license. This is the responce that was emailed back to me:

DEPARTMENT OF EMPLOYMENT AND INDUSTRIAL RELATIONS

ABN 52 293 849 579

Workplace Health & Safety Queensland Infoline

Freecall: 1300 369 915 Phone: 07-32474711

Our Reference:xxxxx

Date: 06/01/2009

To: Mr xxxxx

Dear Mr xxxxx,

Thank you for your email regarding applying for an Electrical License in Queensland.

The steps to obtain an electrical licence for overseas trained electricians are as follows:

1. You will need to have an Australian Trades Recognition Certificate issued to you from Trades Recognition Australia. You will need to contact this organization to organise this qualification. The website for Trades Recognition Australia is workplace.gov.au - Trades Recognition Australia. You will need to contact the Melbourne Office about a Domestic Skills Assessment and not the pre-migration assessment.

2. Once you have been issued this Certificate you can apply for the Electrical Licence by completing the application form (form 11). This application form is available at: http://www.deir.qld.gov.au/pdf/eso/otherlicence_form11.pdf The Guidelines attached to this form provided a detailed explanation of the application process and what information is required to be supplied by you.

3. If your application is successful you will be issue a permit to attend a Registered Training Organisation (RTO) to complete any necessary training required. At the completion of your training the RTO will forward a Completion Statement to the Electrical Safety Office. Once this training is complete you can apply for the Electrical Work Licence by completing the application form (form 31). http://www.deir.qld.gov.au/pdf/eso/permitlicence_form31.pdf

If a complete application is received within 6 months of the permit being issued you will not be required to pay the additional application fee.

The Pre-Migration Skills Assessment is carried out whilst you are overseas. You are required to be resident in Australia before you can be issued with an Australian Recognised Trade Certificate. You must be present in Australia to attend the training at the RTO, who may require some on the job experience to be obtained as part of the course.

Ok Guys,

Following my last reply from the Department of Employment and Industrial Relations in QLD, I contacted (as advised in step 1) the TRA via email:

Dear Sirs / madam,

I had been advised to contact you directly following an email to the Department of Employment and Industrial Relations regarding working as an electrician in Queensland.

My email to them explained that I am in the process of a paper assessment being completed with Vetassess with a view to take a practical assessment in the UK for migration purposes.

There response to me is a as follows: (as per their reply posted)

I would be grateful if you could confirm that this is the correct procedure to take now that Vetasses has been put into service, as I am a little confused to the licensing part when I arrive in Australia.

Any further information would be appreciated.

The responce from the TRA (2 emails) is as follows:

Email 1. Reply

Dear Mr xxxxx,

Thank you for your email regarding an Australian Recognition Trades Certificate (ARTC).

As advised by Queensland licensing to be eligible for an ARTC you must be an Australian resident or have work rights that allow you work in Australia. Given you have undertaken the general migration process administered and assessed by VETASSESS for Council of Australian Government (COAG) identified countries, it may be in your interest to contact VETASSESS regarding what you need to do next to meet pre-requisites to licencing before you arrive in Australia.

Regards

Adrian Bellocci

Senior Skills Assessor (Domestic Operations)

Trades Recognition Australia | Workplace Programmes Branch

Australian Government Department of Education, Employment and Workplace Relations

Phone (03) 99542721| Fax (03) 99542588

Email 2. Reply

Thank you for your enquiry to Trades Recognition Australia (TRA).

TRA are no longer the assessing authority for residents of the United Kingdom in certain trades. The trade of an Electrician is amongst those trade which TRA no longer assess. If you do not have an Australian visa which allows you to work in Australia, you are not eligible for assessment with TRA and will need to contact VETASSESS. Their website is www.VetAssess.com.au. If you complete all of the VetAssess competencies, I am under the impression that VetAssess are able to issue you with a qualification which will satisfy the licensing requirements. Please contact VetAssess for more information.

If you are the holder of an Australian visa which allows you to work, you are eligible to make an application. I have attached an ARTC application form if this is the case.

Replies to this email must be forwarded to artcenquiries@deewr.gov.au if you require the matter to be actioned.

Thank you

TRADES RECOGNITION AUSTRALIA

TRA Enquiry Line 1300 360 992

www.workplace.gov.au/TRA

GPO Box 9880 Melbourne VIC 3001

Still seems like there is some confusion regarding the TRA and Vetassess as attached to the email 1. was a pre message email from an internal staff member - 'Hi Adrian Can you please enlighthen me as to how to respond to this query. Thanks! and the reply in email 2. 'I am under the impression that Vetassess able to issue you wilth a qualification' :no:

So who knows??

Looks like Vetassess will be next to tackle.

Hope this helps!

Warren

Guest James.S
Hi James,

Well hopefully its the right information and there are no cross wires with Vetassess?

I simply sent them a nice email asking what was needed to be done in Oz and got that reply so there is some hope. I'm just getting the paperwork ready for the Vetassess paperwork assessment, so just one step at a time for us at the moment.

It does seem a bit long winded to begin work if you have already been assessed in the UK by Vetassess, I thought that was the whole point of the guys coming to the UK in the first place to assess us and see if we have the electrical knowledge to adapt for the Oz system.

Anyway if this thread could keep going with more useful tips then we will all be on a winner! :jiggy:

Hi, my theory about the whole Vetassess thing is that it does not actually have anything to do with work in Oz, the point of the process is just to qualify that you are experianced enough to apply for immigration as a saprk, the rest is up to you so to speak...

When you get as far as looking at the ARTC for your supervised trade licnse app you will see it is almost the same as the Vetassess paper app, NSW accept the vetassess on its own to apply for the license but some states don't, so i guess choose your destination carefully or actually getting on the tools in Oz can take a dam site longer than you would think...!

What would be great is if they combined the Vetasess with a UK based course on the wiring reg's, given that most of us ow have our heads around the 18th edition after having a good look at theirs it's a walk in the park..! As part of the visa you should then be able to get the supervised licence straight away, Once down under a bit of supervised work is fair enough before getting the full license, but that should be skills and knowledge based test, not time specific....

Ramble / moan over...!

Whatever, it's worth it though... even with all the red tape and forms to fill in i would still do it again as life down here will i'm sure be better than the Uk right now..

All the best & good luck..!

James..

P.S. I am pleased this thread is starting to build and be of use to people.. makes me really chuffed, it would have helped me so much to have had this resource when i started the visa process, i just hope it can be of help to others...

:spinny: