Critical Skill List (CSL) will be introduced from 1st Jan 2009

Guest CHB

Guest The "legdes"

Hi Alan

Yes we do have an agent. Though why they haven't done as you are recommending I don't know. I must admit I did expect them to be pushing back in July when we lodged. We got the job offer at the end of June 08. We have been told to hold off from having our meds and pc's until 3 months before they expect us to be processed (they were thinking May 09). This means they are hoping - or rather we are left hoping the job offer lasts til then (11 months). I just don't know how to approach this as I don't want them to get the hump as we still need them very much but we don't want to lose the points the job offer has given us either.

Any suggestions would be gratefully rec'd.

I would be asking the Skilled Processing Centre whether they can please consider your application as soon as possible in view of the offer of employment.

Do you have an agent who can highlight your application with the ASPC?

Best regards.

• Replies 235
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi Ledges,

I'm afraid I share your surprise that the agent hasn't been more proactive, however most likely the agent will have a different perspective which explains the situation, I would suggest you just contact them explaining your concerns.

Given the large numbers of people who are facing CSL problems and uncertain processing, you're fortunate to have a MODL occupation, CSL occupation and a job offer. We have clients who would beg for any one of those.

Happy New Year,

Cheers,

George Lombard

Hi Alan

Yes we do have an agent. Though why they haven't done as you are recommending I don't know. I must admit I did expect them to be pushing back in July when we lodged. We got the job offer at the end of June 08. We have been told to hold off from having our meds and pc's until 3 months before they expect us to be processed (they were thinking May 09). This means they are hoping - or rather we are left hoping the job offer lasts til then (11 months). I just don't know how to approach this as I don't want them to get the hump as we still need them very much but we don't want to lose the points the job offer has given us either.

In the relationship between agent and client it is sometimes worth remembering that you as the client decide what you wish the agent to do on your behalf.

In other words if you instruct the agent to pursue a particular course of action the agent can advise you to the contrary, but if you insist in spite of the agent's advice the agent should either follow your instructions, or resign from the appointment.

Hopefully you have sufficient information from this thread and others to make a decision as to how you want to proceed ...

Best wishes for a Happy Xmas and a successful 2009.

Guest Petra & Dave
PS. We have had July 2008 applications granted, so I would be planning medicals and police clearance certificates soon - unless your agent considers otherwise of course ...

Alan is that online or paper and online , I decided to wait till after xmas to email my agent over this issue as I have a job offer and could get mine changed to state sponsored, will let you know what they advise

Dave

Online.

We don't submit paper based applications to the ASPC, for the principle reason that it was made known to registered migration agents some 18 months ago that from 01/09/2007 the Department of Immigration would process e-lodged applications as a priority.

Whether this prioritisation of e-lodged over paper will hold following the Minister's recent announcement and the new Ministerial Direction remains to be seen of course.

Best regards.

Guest Gollywobbler
Hi Alan

Hi the legdes

Is your Agent registered with the MARA?

Migration Agents Registration Authority

Best wishes

Gill

Guest Gollywobbler

Hi All

I've just come across this input by George Lombard on the Brtish Expats thread about the CSL etc:

Hard working Kevin Lane of the Migration Institute of Australia has released the following press release and questions which I think summarise what is currently known and unknown. Not sure what the unknown unknowns are but this might help some:

Effects of changes to Skilled Migration processing from 1 January 2009

By announcing a new Critical Shortages List and new processing priorities for skilled migration visa applications, DIAC has invented new levers for the migration processing machine for obtaining desired outcomes.

The changes announced by the Minister yesterday may go some way to addressing the huge backlog of applications, but the MIA is concerned about the possible implications for those who do not meet the criteria for priority processing.

The MIA has released a media statement (see below), and has asked DIAC a series of questions (see below), about these changes. The National Office would like to further investigate the ramifications of these changes and members who may care to, are invited to email their concerns or questions to: kevin.lane@mia.org.au

MIA Media Release

MIGRATION PROFESSION SAYS "SPEED IT UP"

The Rudd government's prioritising and fast-tracking of skilled migrant visas for people sponsored by State or Territory governments, or who have certain occupations or who have a guaranteed of a job, is generally welcome news, but the ramifications for skilled migration applicants not in those categories is unclear and of concern, says Maurene Horder, CEO of the Migration Institute of Australia.

Ms Horder commended the Ministers efforts to address the critical skills shortages being experienced.

"Sensible refinements of the program that help meet the community's needs are something that we are very supportive of," she said.

"But, we would also like to see inroads into the backlog of skilled migration applications. Tens of thousands of applicants remain in the pipeline. They can expect to wait up to 15 months or longer to be processed.

"We need the government to be responsive in trying to improve all processing times."

"The country is crying out for people in medicine, engineering, IT, accounts, teaching and construction. Highly skilled people have been sitting in immigration queues for months who can fill these jobs right now. Moving their applications along quickly is laudable, but let's not leave the rest languishing in limbo."

This assignment of priorities may mean that the future is very uncertain for good people who have applied in good faith prior to the changes. We are concerned about the impact on these people.

In particular, the future of students who have spent significant funds and effort to obtain Australian qualifications in the belief that they could apply successfully to remain here permanently is unclear. This may impact on Australian education sector enrolments in future years.

The MIA will do a fuller assessment of the likely ramifications for the many cases already in the system and prepare a detailed response to the Government. Much detail is unknown.

In a statement yesterday, the Minister for Immigration and Citizenship, Senator Chris Evans said changes would be effective from 1 January 2009.

Questions submitted to DIAC

•1. In "2008-09 Migration Program Changes Frequently asked questions" it states in Question 22:

"What will happen to those applications which are in the final stages of processing and where the department has requested applicants to provide health and character clearances? Those applications which are currently close to being finalised, will be finalised by the department, subject to health and character clearances."

What does DIAC mean by "close to being finalised"?

•2. Will the new arrangements affect current applications from people who currently hold temporary visas such as Subclass 495 (SIR) and who have applied for a Subclass 887 visa for example?

•3. (a) How many General Skilled Migration visa applications are on currently lodged with DIAC?

(b) How many GSM visas have been granted this program year?

•4. The DIAC Planning levels for skilled migration for 2008-09 have a total of 133,500 places, comprising:

•a. Employer Sponsored 28,000

•b. Skilled Independent 74,630

•c. State/Territory Sponsored 9,350

•d. Skilled Australian Sponsored 14,330

•e. Distinguished Talent 200

•f. Business Skills 7,000

What changes are expected in these planning targets?

•5. If the number of General Skilled Migration visa applications granted reaches the planning target for 2008-09, what will happen to those other undecided applications?

•6. 6. In the document entitled "2008-09 Migration Program Changes Frequently asked questions" it states in Question 8 that "Occupations that are not included in the CSL will not be given priority processing unless the applicants have a job offer or are sponsored or nominated by a state or territory government." Is this mention of a job offer only referring to employer nominated applications or is it also referring to General Skilled Migration applications.

Cheers,

George Lombard

Migration Agent Registration Number 9681945

george[at]austimmigration[dot]com[dot]au

www.austimmigration.com.au

PO Box 257 Summer Hill NSW 2130

I am wondering how long it will be before DIAC answer all the questions that the MIA and others have posed. Thousands of people must be affected by this substantial change in the program, so I hope DIAC will get cracking and provide some clear, definite answers before 1st January.

Best wishes

Gill

Guest Gollywobbler
Hi Gill,

Yes he is a mara agent. Are you suprised ?

Hiya

Nope! Not a bit surprised!

Back-biting between competitors is unseemly. So is a lack of consistent standards of efficiency, however.

Cheers

Gill

Guest leonardodeluna

i have been here since may 26,2008 working under visa 457 and i am wondering if i can lodge my applications for permanent recidency application?what will i do? do i need to wait for two years before i lodging? what will be the effect of this changes on my situation?is there any path that i can use to fast track my desire for permanent recidency?

Guest Gollywobbler
i have been here since may 26,2008 working under visa 457 and i am wondering if i can lodge my applications for permanent recidency application?what will i do? do i need to wait for two years before i lodging? what will be the effect of this changes on my situation?is there any path that i can use to fast track my desire for permanent recidency?

Hello Leonardp

Welcome to Poms in Oz.

How old are you and what is your occupation, please? Those are the key factors in starting to help you to work out what your next visa option might be.

Best wishes

Gill

Guest janagaraja

Hi Gill

I have lodged 176 visa sponsored by state goverment. I am from high risk country. What would be the processing time for this visa ? How they are going to treat high risk and low risk country applicanst with effect from 1st jan2009. I would appreciate if you could pass some comment on this. Thanks.jana

Guest Gollywobbler

Hello Jana

Welcome to Poms in Oz.

So far DIAC have not issued any official estimates of how long they think the processing of visas will take once their new system comes into effect. Not a word so far about this.

They also haven't come up with any comparables between Low Risk and High Risk countries.

I reckon it is possible that DIAC themselves don't really know as yet how the new system will work.

Keep an eye on Go Matilda News:

Go Matilda - Your Gateway to Australia - News

As soon as Alan Collett (the boss of Go Matilda) gets any definite information he will publish it in his news section for sure.

Best wishes

Gill

Guest janagaraja

Thanks much Mr.Gill. I will keep an eye on this. JANA

Hello Jana

Welcome to Poms in Oz.

So far DIAC have not issued any official estimates of how long they think the processing of visas will take once their new system comes into effect. Not a word so far about this.

They also haven't come up with any comparables between Low Risk and High Risk countries.

I reckon it is possible that DIAC themselves don't really know as yet how the new system will work.

Keep an eye on Go Matilda News:

As soon as Alan Collett (the boss of Go Matilda) gets any definite information he will publish it in his news section for sure.

Best wishes

Gill

Guest leonardodeluna
Hello Leonardp

Welcome to Poms in Oz.

How old are you and what is your occupation, please? Those are the key factors in starting to help you to work out what your next visa option might be.

Best wishes

Gill

Hi Gill, i am 43 years old turning 44 this coming March and I am presently working in Adelaide as a Pipefitter. Also, I would like to know if my skills as a Fitter was assessed by TRA before I was awarded the 457 visa. Thanks for your immediate response.

Guest Gollywobbler
Hi Gill, i am 43 years old turning 44 this coming March and I am presently working in Adelaide as a Pipefitter. Also, I would like to know if my skills as a Fitter was assessed by TRA before I was awarded the 457 visa. Thanks for your immediate response.

Hello Leonardo

Thanks for this information.

Surely you know whether or not you submitted an application to TRA for a skills assessment before obtaining your current 457 visa?

I think that if you really do not know this then you ought to consult a reputable Registered Migration Agent in Adelaide promptly my friend. A list of the RMAs in Adelaide is here:

http://www.themara.com.au/Online/ARSearchResult.asp?DeptID=140

Another way to search is via the languages that an Agent can speak as well as his/her location:

MIA Search Agent

Are you working directly for an employer or for an agency?

When was your 457 visa granted?

What is your country of origin?

Are you happy in your current job and are you being treated properly by your employer?

I am worried about you. Preparing a TRA application is a major job and there is no way it was done for you without your knowledge and help.

The problem is that if you want to apply for a skilled independent visa which does not involve an employer, the visa application MUST reach DIAC in Adelaide before your 45th Birthday. However you will not be eligible to apply for an independent visa unless you have - can get - a positive skills assessment first.

I really do think you should ask a Registered Migration Agent to help you.

Best wishes

Gill

Those numbers reflect the large number of new colleges that have sprung up to, um, manufacture graduates who hold qualifications in high points scoring occupations, for fast track to PR.

Of course the other occupations like trades are harder to learn and teach.... and pass.

I have met many students and graduates who have no intention of working in the field they have studied. They often don't really have employable skills due to the lack of quality teaching many colleges have managed to get away with.

A Shame. It makes me cross too as we need the graduates with the proper skills, not just visa holders.

Whilst in principle I agree that alot of this goes on (just studying any course to get PR and then abandoning the occupation) I will feel really aggrieved if Cookery drops off the MODL list. I am 40 years old and have started the Commercial Cookery and Hospitality Diploma course that leads to PR. However, I feel that there is a moral obligation to work for at least 18 months in the industry. At my age, I really rely on the MODL points to get me in, otherwise I only get 115 points, 5 out. I am fully prepared to work in the industry for some time on qualification.

Surely it would make more sense to introduce a requirement to put in some time as a Cook/Chef/Whatever you study for instead of making it impossible for anyone over 40 to apply for PR, because it has gone off the list and yet there is still a shortage.

I am doing this to gain PR, because I love the Aussie way of life. My other skills and qualifications aren't even on the 60 point SOL list, so this is the way I have to go. There is nothing wrong with falling in love with a country and deciding that you are prepared to learn a new (well not really, I have a fair amount of experience in this field too) skill set to suit the country.

I could make up the extra points with a job offer, which I don't anticipate I would have trouble obtaining after work experience, but that seems to be only open as extra points on MODL jobs, and not SOL jobs. If it were on SOL jobs I wouldnt have this problem.

Am I correct in this?

All answers appreciated. I am bricking my undies over this, as I dont wish to sink 20 grand AUS into it with no chance at the end.

Thanks! K

Guest Gollywobbler

Hello K

Welcome to Poms in Oz.

How many points do you give yourself for English, please? 15 or 25? Would taking the IELTS solve the potential problem for you?

Also whereabouts are you at present and would you be willing to relocate? Are you aware of the possibility that State Sponsorship might be a way round the potential points problem?

Visa Options – Professionals and other Skilled Migrants – Workers – Visas & Immigration

Additionally, I gather that there is a potential "stepping stone" visa that would enable you to gan a year's PQE in Oz foran extra 10 points?

Skilled – Graduate (Temporary) visa (subclass 485)

Best wishes

Gill

Hello K

Welcome to Poms in Oz.

How many points do you give yourself for English, please? 15 or 25? Would taking the IELTS solve the potential problem for you?

Also whereabouts are you at present and would you be willing to relocate? Are you aware of the possibility that State Sponsorship might be a way round the potential points problem?

Visa Options – Professionals and other Skilled Migrants – Workers – Visas & Immigration

Additionally, I gather that there is a potential "stepping stone" visa that would enable you to gan a year's PQE in Oz foran extra 10 points?

Skilled – Graduate (Temporary) visa (subclass 485)

Best wishes

Gill

Hallo Gill.

I gave myself 25, I would sit the IELTS. So thats already included.

I also looked at the stepping stone visa. The Graduate-Skilled one is the one you are referring to, I think. It will enable me to stay another 18 months and work in the industry, but the "professional year" that gets you the points only refers to certain industries, mostly IT and engineering. I may have read that one wrong; maybe doing the 18 months in your chosen occupation can get you the extra points, but I have already put in 10 points for work experience as the college I study at places students after qualifying at Cert III into workplacement schemes that give you 900 hours of industry experience.

I think this visa advantages people who really do want to work in the industry, to improve their English or gain experience in a first world Western working environment; but where I fall down really is my age: and thats only going to go one way, ha!

I am at a crossroads. I am a quick learner and pretty adaptable so I may change course to study another subject that will remain on the MODL list in a related topic: I am fairly sure that Baker and perhaps Chef and Patisserie Chef won't drop off: just cook. I could use the 18 months to specialise once I have qualified as a cook in one of those disciplines, or make a change of direction altogether, but then I would have to apply for another student visa.

Or, during the next two years, the shortage will become more acute and they will assign more points to standard of English or put the occupation back on the list. As far as I am aware, its already fairly difficult for places to get English speaking staff, never mind experienced staff.

Or, as you suggest, perhaps relocation is the way forward. I had actually thought about going for work on the mines or in the towns as a cook anyway; Newman or Kalgoorlie. I am giving this global downturn a two-year bounce; by the time I qualify things could well be looking up. HOWEVER its a lot of money to invest and time to be taking out of my career (whatever that might be) to study and get a subject for a visa that won't eventuate.

Last night I was panicky and upset (just found out about it!) but I am a little more rational this morning.

Alan

Many thanks. I have found having the full picture very helpful. I do not necessarily care about having to wait a little longer so long as I can work full time in the interim period...only that the loss of MODL points might fail me altogether. As previously stated I am happy to fulfil my moral obligation putting in the time.

I will be keeping a careful eye on developments over the next weeks, and still welcome any ongoing input from anyone in my situation.

Regards

Kitty

Guest AndreanDaz
Update as to skilled visa processing from 01/01/2009 is here:

This is based on discussions with the ASPC this afternoon.

Best regards.

Hi Alan,

Have you any idea how applications that have already been lodged that are on the csl will be managed and can we assume that applications will be processed much quicker than originally thought?

The reason I ask is that I've already raised the question with our agent and as the system is new they can't really give a firm answer.

We were originally quoted 6-9 months for processing, are we likely to gain our visa earlier than that?

Thanks

Andrea

Archived