New Build Homes???/

natasha2106

This may be a really stupid question, but i really need to know it so that i can start sorting out costings.

We have been looking at the cost of new builds online and some of the houses look amazing. however, the price you see under the house, is this just for the house, do u then have to buy a plot of land for it to go on or is it all included.

Sorry if this is a really stupid question, but can't find the answer anywhere.

thanks

tasha:confused::confused:

If you look at realestate.com.au and go to the "build"heading it will give you places where house and land packages are.

You can negotiate what you want in the package and if you sign up at the vacant land stage then there are stamp duty savings.

• 2 years later...
Guest gonzo39

Hey guys,

Me and my family are looking at the possability of moving over to Oz and was wondering if the permissions and regulations are different over there to over here in the good old rainy UK?

Guest Ph0en1x
Hey guys,

Me and my family are looking at the possability of moving over to Oz and was wondering if the permissions and regulations are different over there to over here in the good old rainy UK?

What permissions and regulations, can you be more specific.

PS its raining in Sydney at the moment

Yeah, they do seem amazingly cheap don`t they? Add on the land and some extras and it would go up a bit, but it`s still better value than UK!!

Have today finally had an offer on a four bedroom link-detatched house in Stockport in a reasonable area, I accepted less than £200k.

We are having a house buiit in Mernda some 30k from the centre of Melbourne on a plot of 1100sq m that we bought and then looked around for a builder. The house is again a four bed and a study, it will end up over $800k when the land is taken into account.

I realise that I leave myself open to ridicule by this post but I must disagree with the statement that houses are better value in Oz than in the UK, we feel that we have been screwed by the builder and as previous writers have said, you get a house, nothing more. I hope wellies are cheap in Melbourne as we do not even have a drive from the road to the house and contrary to public opinion and TV programs it does rain in Oz.

Mamba

You do really get what you pay for with new builds; if it seems cheap, then it will be. New homes always look amazing but after a couple of years when the rubbish carpet is fraying and the cheap "chrome" is wearing off the taps it just looks tired. One of the estates around here is plagued with garage doors that haven't been fitted properly and after a few years the rollers wear, the door jams and then the automatic mechanism keeps going and buckles it, there's five houses side by side with the same problem.

I'm closely associated with the building industry and work with a lot of builders. I very, very rarely see spec homes built to a standard that I would live in. If you are using a builder who has their own company and who hasa repuation to maintain you'll pay more but will probably get a decent build. "knock 'em up cheap and get out of there" estates will cause problems for you long term.

You *can* get a decent quaity of fittings if you're prepared to pay for it (the adverts show the cheapest price, often with the minimum slab thickness and doesn't take into account your individual site requirements) while the display home will be the most expensive version, but you'll still probably end up with a brick vaneer instead of solid masonary.

There are some real horror stories here, but also some people who have had decent experience. Depending on where you are and what sort of house you should be expecting to pay in excess of $1000 per square meter of floor space (more if you're in areas that require stronger houses, north of Bundabeg in QLD, don't know the equivilant in WA), if you're only paying $700 or so I'd question the quality.

Archived