Considering breaking lease, what will it cost me?

PommyPaul

Hey PommyPaul

You will have to pay the rent until your lease is up or at least until the rental people let the property again before the expiry date,,they will have to sub let,,pain in the XXXX

Guest itskaren
I'm seriously considering breaking my lease as i want somewhere with a garden/driveway to store boat, motorbike etc.

Has anyone on here broken a lease before or know what the usual routine is?

It cost us a fortune to break our lease in Melbourne. We had a landlady wich was a ***! We paid thousands! She could have made us pay the whole of the lease as it is the landlords choice if they want you to stay apparrently. It cost us about $3k. Very depressing. Not to be taken lightly! Good luck.

That sounds like a nightmare karen!!!

Its definately sounding like i'd be better off just riding out the lease, i don't actually mind the place at all, just got a nagging feeling for somewhere out of town with room for toys.

I've got 19 weeks left on the lease.

how well do you get on with your agent/landlord

just have a word and tell them that you want to move early but dont want to break the lease so can they please try to sublet,,you will probably have to pay for the advertising,,

they have you by the short and curly's whatever you do,,,but be nice cos you could get severely stung,,,

Guest angiebabe

Hi Paul, We broke our lease in Melbourne to come to Brisbane. You are in contract to pay the rent until it expires or is re-let and also the advertising costs. we were lucky and it was re let within 2 weeks..the demand for rentals there was massive though compared to here!! plus we had a fantastic agent.

In all it cost us 2 weeks rent plus $60 advertising costs. Think every company is different though so i would suggest you give them a call and ask them to explain everything as it could end up costing you a small fortune!...

Good luck :cutexmas:

Hi Paul, We broke our lease in Melbourne to come to Brisbane. You are in contract to pay the rent until it expires or is re-let and also the advertising costs. we were lucky and it was re let within 2 weeks..the demand for rentals there was massive though compared to here!! plus we had a fantastic agent.

In all it cost us 2 weeks rent plus $60 advertising costs. Think every company is different though so i would suggest you give them a call and ask them to explain everything as it could end up costing you a small fortune!...

Good luck :cutexmas:

We had the same about a year ago. We had rented our first house shortly after arriving in Melbourne, and a week later we found a house we wanted to buy.

We moved out of the rental after just 5 weeks into the year lease. We paid about 2 weeks rent to cover the period that it was stood empty.

Depending on what area you are in & your letting agent, it shouldnt need to cost you too much more than 2 or 3 weeks rent.

Guest HappyBunny

Like others have said I think it depends on your agent but we were told by ours that if we wanted to break the lease we would have to pay the rent until they found a new tenant plus advertising costs and one weeks rent on top (to cover the agents additional costs incurred).

We didn't actually ask about breaking the lease they just volunteered the info, perhaps they didn't expect us to stay?!

thanks for all the replies :)

Spoke to the agent today and they said.

"I have to pay the rent till it re-lets, also pay one weeks rent as a penalty and they said its free for them to do their inhouse advertising but if i want it on websites etc i have to pay extra... oh and they give my phone number to potential new tenants and i have to show them round for inspections"

So i think once we're into the new year i'll do that, unless anyone on here wants the unit?

I'll make an advert and post up later.

Guest HappyBunny
thanks for all the replies :)

Spoke to the agent today and they said.

"I have to pay the rent till it re-lets, also pay one weeks rent as a penalty and they said its free for them to do their inhouse advertising but if i want it on websites etc i have to pay extra... oh and they give my phone number to potential new tenants and i have to show them round for inspections"

So i think once we're into the new year i'll do that, unless anyone on here wants the unit?

I'll make an advert and post up later.

So you do their job for them and have to pay them as well - got it cushy these aussie estate agents LOL !!

Fingers crossed you get it sorted quickly in the new year.

Guest HappyBunny

If you like the unit it might be more cost effective to see if anyone has somewhere secure locally that you could rent to store your toys.

or alternatively buy a bigger boat and live on that instead?!!

Are things different in Aus regarding contracts and landlords. I am a landlord in England and Spain, and I have had tenants just pack up and go. All I get is the month’s deposit.

When the tenant leaves there is not much you can do weather they sign a 3,6 or 12 month contract,

Is it different in Aus?

Phil

Archived