Migration Agents

Guest Mark

Has anybody got any advice/recommendations when using migration agents? I have already struck up a relationship with Overseas Emigration and am confident to sign to them. I just wondered what other people were up to.

• 3 years later...
Guest jen25

Why not do it yourself? if your good at paperwork and have a straightforward application, then it should be fine. Nothing goes through any faster with agents, but they are there to give advice. Be careful who you use, poms in oz is a good place to find info. Good luck

We did it ourselves, 176 visa granted, moving to france then to oz in six weeks, Jen x

Guest Tom the Pom
Why not do it yourself? if your good at paperwork and have a straightforward application, then it should be fine. Nothing goes through any faster with agents, but they are there to give advice. Be careful who you use, poms in oz is a good place to find info. Good luck

We did it ourselves, 176 visa granted, moving to france then to oz in six weeks, Jen x

DIY is the way to go - you have to do all the work for the agencies anyway. They just tell you what to do (all the info is here) and pull your pants down at the same time.

It's up to you

Guest Gollywobbler
Sorry, I posted thais in the wrong place. I'll move it...

Hi Mark

This is just to say that this thread is fine where it is and you have started it in the right section of the forum so there is no need to move it.

Cheers

Gill

That the OP is nearly 4 years old.

As I'm sure you know, I am happy to enter into a dialogue about the merit of using an agent ... those who assert that enquirers should not use a professional advisor when they know nothing about the circumstances of an enquirer are expressing a view based on incomplete knowledge.

Some have the abilities and temperament to manage the process without formal assistance. But not all do - and to simply say "don't waste your money on an agent" is ridiculous.

Best regards.

Guest JoanneHattersley
Whats your motivation for wanting it closed I wonder???? :biggrin:

No need to close it! Perfectly valid question 4 years ago and now!

Actually, seeing the thread is four years old, I would have thought that the more considered response would have been for the moderator to have fired off a quick email to the OP to see what happened.

Did he use a RMA? Did he DYI? Did he even change his mind about migrating?

The responses to those questions from the OP would be far more illuminating than merely providing a forum for gratuitous insults along the lines of:

and pull your pants down at the same time

Guest JoanneHattersley
Actually, seeing the thread is four years old, I would have thought that the more considered response would have been for the moderator to have fired off a quick email to the OP to see what happened.

I wish we had the time to do that but unfortunately we dont! It doesnt matter how old the question is. Yes, some things may have changed as time has moved on but the basis is the same

No need to close it! Perfectly valid question 4 years ago and now!

Sorry Jo, I am going to disagree with you. Aside from Les's sensible comments nothing new has been added by the above responses, and the original enquirer has not posted on this forum since June 2005.

Best regards.

this forum is Great don't close it as it has nothing to do with the question asked. just another argument for those who have the time to argue. what I also find interesting why click on the link if you are not interested in the subject.

By the way I am using an agent and their advice has been fantastic and I know that I would have failed the TRA for sure without them. I did get some good advice from members before I decided to use an agent but not to the degree the agent helped. (still waiting outcome of TRA so I may have to eat my words but I am confident as the agent would not have sent it of if it was not good.

Guest Gollywobbler

Hi All

First - I didn't notice the age of the original post and was distracted by why the OP should think it might be in the wrong section.

Evidently the subject is topical because several people - including two agents - have been interested enough to respond even though the OP has long since vanished from the boards. Trying to contact him would be a complete waste of time.

I agree with Johatts, though. Enough people seem to be interested in this thread in 2009 to justify leaving it running, I think. It will fizzle out of its own accord very quickly anyway.

Cheers

Gill

Guest Tom the Pom

I think the agents are protesting too much. Have we hit a valid point here?

I was told by my original agent and I quote "you can't do it without us". We are just making the point that this is completely false.

This is the 21st Century and all information is available in seconds so where do agents fit in now?

I think the agents are protesting too much. Have we hit a valid point here?

I was told by my original agent and I quote "you can't do it without us". We are just making the point that this is completely false.

This is the 21st Century and all information is available in seconds so where do agents fit in now?

I am endeavouring to strike a balance, Tom.

It is agreed that applicants can apply without the assistance of an agent. It is reckless to draw the conclusion (as some do) that all are suitably disposed to form filling, preparing written documentation, etc.

Otherwise 100% of visa applicants would be successful - and as we all know, that is far from the case.

As to "all information being available" ... please tell me where on the internet you would find DIAC policy on the handling of visa applications "in seconds", because we agents have to pay over $1,000 each year for access to it!

Best regards.

We decided to use an agent for one reason alone, we thought our marriage was worth £2K :))

Seriously although all the info is available we felt there was enough room for interpretation to have us falling out about it. We still managed to fall out about what the agent needed us to do (but they were available to clarify!)

My OH feels he would not have passed his ACS assessment without the agents help & I would have unneccesarily put myself through ann ACS assessment unaware that my degree would enable me to claim spouse points via a much simpler VETASSESS process.

In retrospect yes we did 'do a lot of the work for them' and now I've done it I could do it again without help(!) but like most things in life it seems complicated and overwhelming the first time and a good agent helps you through so I would not now advise anyone else not to use an agent (unless they were a close friend in very similar circumstances and I was prepared to help!)

Jules x

Guest June Pixie

We are in the first stages of collecting information regarding migration and have spoke to Go Matilda regarding the process. Paperwork will come soon to look at and decide if agency fees are going to be too high or if, perhaps, it is something I could do myself. Looking at the process and the help received so far I would have no reservations in appointing a reputable agent to hand hold me through it.

Guest chris_mac

The underlying reasons I used an agent was owing to our lack of knowledge of the process and options available to us but more so actual time to find out what we needed to know, file and collate all the info forms, who, what and where to pay etc and basically complete a correct application.

Paying an agent to do this for us who has years of experience in the business, knows all the short falls, how the system works etc for me was money well spent.

Chris

Archived