Jump to content

You're currently viewing the forum as a Guest
and join in with discussions   
ask migration questions
message other members

..and much much more!

Guest PxRxD

What requirements do you need?

    Recommended Posts

    Guest PxRxD

    I live in the UK, and I am thinking of studying in Australia.


    But my Question is, what requirements do I need to apply for the visa/apply for the college?


    Can someone help?

    Share this post

    Link to post
    Share on other sites




    I am going to study next year, below is some info you may find helpfull









    Australia’s Overseas Student Visa Program

    Have you been assessed as not meeting the requirements for General Skilled Migration?

    If so then the student visa program may be your only option of entering Australia to live and work. The student visa

    program is designed as a stepping stone to allow would be migrants to enter Australia and study at University or

    Technical and Further Education College to meet permanent residency criteria for the General Skills Migration


    For those students who have completed a minimum of 2 years full time study and gained experience of Australia’s

    way of life and culture then DIAC wish to recognise the contribution you can make to Australia.

    What is a Student Visa?

    A student visa allows people who are not Australian citizens or Australian permanent residents to study in Australia.

    Anyone who is not an Australian resident can apply under this program. To become a student in Australia you must

    undertake a course of study in a registered course on a full time basis. The course to be registered must be offered

    by a recognized Australian education provider who is registered with the Australian Government to offer courses to

    overseas students.

    The Student Visa Program

    Under Australia’s newly structured student visa program students are assessed under different visa subclasses in

    relation to the course of study they wish to undertake. Too meet visa requirements, prospective students must

    show they meet “assessment factors” which relate to the applicants country of nationality and the education sector

    they will study in. The Department of immigration & Citizenship (DIAC) has recognized that certain countries are at

    a higher risk in not being able to meet their obligations whilst on a student visa. Students are now required to

    provide more assurance’s that they can meet their obligations if DIAC assess them as a risk.

    Assessment level 1 represents the lowest assessment level and assessment level 5 the highest. United Kingdom is

    an assessment level 1. The higher the assessment level, the more evidence you will need to provide to demonstrate

    your financial capacity, understanding of the English language and other relevant matters.

    Student obligations;

    You will need to be able to show you can pay for:

    - your travel to Australia (including any accompanying family members)

    - your course costs

    - your first year's living expenses (calculated as follows):

    - A$12,000 for yourself

    - A$4,200 for your spouse (if applicable)

    - A$2,400 for the first child (if applicable)

    - A$1,800 for each extra child (if applicable)

    - A$8,000 for each child aged between 5 and 18 (for school costs)

    You will also need to sign a declaration that you have access to sufficient funds to cover the costs (including living

    costs and school costs for the remainder of the course).

    Types of Student Visas;

    Student visa subclasses which have been in effect since 01/07/2001 are as follows:

    Independent ELICOS

    English Language Intensive Courses for Overseas Students (ELICOS), undertaken as a stand-alone course, not

    leading to an Australian award, ELICOS undertaken as a stand-alone course, leading to a certificate I, II, III or IV


    Primary school course, secondary school course, including junior and senior secondary, or approved secondary

    exchange program

    Vocational Education and Training

    Certificate I, II, III, and IV (except ELICOS), diploma, or advanced diploma

    Higher Education

    Bachelor degree, associate degree, graduate certificate, graduate diploma, or masters coursework

    Postgraduate Research

    Masters research, or doctoral degree

    Bringing Family Member’s;

    You may be able to bring your family members with you to Australia while you study. Your spouse or partner will

    also hold a temporary visa whilst in Australia. Any dependant children who are required to attend school will also

    need to show proof of enrolment before a visa is granted. Your children will not be eligible for free schooling and

    will be required to pay international school fees. As a guideline fees for a school year per child will be $8,000 AUD.

    Working in Australia;

    All initial Student visas are granted with the condition 8101, No Work. This means when you land in Australia you

    are not entitled to work. However you and members of your family can apply for permission to work only after you

    have commenced your studies in Australia.

    The main applicant holding the student visa can work 20 hours per week during any week when your course is in

    session. There are no restrictions on the hours of work when the course is not in session such as vacation periods.

    The secondary applicant being the spouse/partner can also apply to work 20 hours a week. Secondary applicants

    can only work over 20 hours if the main applicant is doing postgraduate study such as a Masters or PhD program.

    Extending Your Stay;

    You may wish to extend your stay in Australia for further study, staying for graduation, a holiday, or migration. If

    this is the case then we would advise you to contact an OE Consultant for further information.

    DIAC Advise to Student Visa Holders;

    DIAC advises student visa holders must have enough funds to cover their course tuition fees, overseas student

    health cover, return air fairs and other associated costs such as purchasing text books, accommodation, food and

    other general expenses.

    What Conditions Will Be Applied to My Student Visa;

    For all visa subclasses there are certain conditions that the visa holder must meet. Student visas are no exception.

    The following are a few of the most common conditions attached to student visas;

    - Condition 8202 requires the student to satisfy attendance and/or course requirements and maintain a valid

    enrolment for the chosen course of study. Attendance needs to be above 80%.

    - Condition 8501 the student must have made adequate arrangements for health insurance whilst in Australia. This

    is normally covered in the course provider’s enrolment fees and is compulsory.

    - Condition 8517 the main applicant must make adequate arrangements for the education of any school-age

    dependant which is staying in Australia for 3 months or more.

    - Condition 8516 you must continue to satisfy the requirements for grant of your student visa. This means, for

    example, that your main course of study must continue to be a course in the education sector that matches your

    student visa, and that you must continue to have sufficient financial capacity to support your study and stay in


    - Condition 8101 the student and members of the family unit must not work unless granted permission after the

    course of study has commenced

    - Condition 8533 requires the student to notify your education provider of your residential address in Australia

    within 7 days of arriving in Australia. You must notify your education provider of any change in your residential

    address within 7 days of the change. You must notify your education provider of a change of education provider

    within 7 days of receiving the electronic Confirmation of Enrolment certificate or evidence of enrolment.

    If a visa holder where to breach any of these conditions then this may result in the visa being cancelled and the

    holder removed from Australia.

    Your student visa can be granted a maximum of 12 weeks (2 months and 3 weeks) before your course

    commencement date. You may travel to Australia on a one-way ticket if you hold a student visa.


    The Generals Skills Migration (GSM) program is for non Australian citizens or permanent residents currently

    studying in Australia and wish to apply for a skilled migrant visa. When you are about 3 months away from

    completing your course and have 2 years study, you can then contact OE Visas regarding assistance in preparing a

    further visa to stay in Australia. Visas available to Overseas Students include;

    Skilled – Independent (Residence) visa (subclass 885)

    A permanent visa for eligible overseas students who have obtained an Australian qualification in Australia as a

    result of at least two (2) years study. Applicants are not sponsored and must pass a points test pass mark of 120.

    Skilled – Sponsored (Residence) visa (subclass 886)

    A permanent visa for eligible overseas students who have obtained an Australian qualification in Australia as a

    result of at least two (2) years study. For applicants not able to meet the Skilled – Independent pass mark, who

    have either a relative in Australia to sponsor them or a nomination from a State or Territory government. Applicants

    must pass a points test pass mark of 100 which is lower than that for the Skilled – Independent visa.

    Skilled – Regional (Residence) visa (subclass 887)

    A permanent visa for eligible provisional visa holders who have lived for at least two (2) years and worked for at

    least one (1) year in a Specified Regional Area in Australia.

    Skilled – Regional Sponsored (Provisional) visa (subclass 487)

    A three (3) year provisional visa for eligible overseas students who can meet the lower pass mark of 100.

    Applicants must be either sponsored by an eligible relative living in a designated area of Australia or nominated by

    a participating state/territory government. After living for two (2) years and working for at least one (1) year in a

    Specified Regional Area, applicants can apply for a permanent visa under subclass 887.

    Skilled – Graduate (Temporary) visa (subclass 485)

    An 18 month temporary visa for overseas students who have obtained an Australian qualification in Australia as a

    result of at least two (2) years study. Allows applicants who are unable to pass the points test to remain in Australia

    for 18 months to gain the skills and experience needed to apply for a permanent or provisional General Skilled

    Migration visa. No points test applies.

    This visa allows the applicant and their partner to work unlimited without the 20 hour a week restriction placed

    upon them during the student visa. Applicants who then work for 12 months in Australia can then claim an extra 10

    points plus an additional 15 (=25) if this occupation is on the migration occupation in demand list.

    Available Courses

    For the purposes of studying in Australia and then meeting criteria to go onto a residency visa the majority of

    applicants choose to study at a Technical & Further Education College (TAFE College) and study under the Vocation

    Education & Training Subclass. The main reason for this is the courses are designed to meet the 2 year study

    requirement and are therefore run for two years. TAFE College fees are also cheaper than University fees.

    However there is only a limited amount of courses you can study at a TAFE College to gain the 60 points required

    that most people need to meet the points for a residency visa (A list of current courses has been provided below). A

    list of the courses you can study at University has not been provided as this list is endless. However most courses

    are 3 years in duration and the subject matter must be consistent with an occupation on the skills occupations list.

    Further consultation with OE Visas and our Education Consultant will guide you through the appropriate courses you

    can study.

    Hairdressing – Sydney, Brisbane, Gold Coast, Kingscliff, Sunshine Coast & Melbourne

    Commercial Cookery – Sydney, Kingscliff, Melbourne, Gold Coast, Brisbane, Sunshine Coast & WA TAFE

    Retail Baking – WA TAFE & Gold Coast

    Pastry Cook – Sydney, Melbourne & Gold Coast

    Dental Technology – NSW TAFE & Brisbane

    Textile, Clothing & Footwear Mechanic – Sunshine Coast, NSW TAFE & WA TAFE

    Community Services/Welfare Work – Brisbane, Sunshine Coast, NSW TAFE & WA TAFE

    Certificate III in Automotive/Motor Mechanic – Gold Coast

    Diploma in Printing & Graphic Arts – Melbourne

    Horticulture (Landscape gardener) – Brisbane, Sunshine Coast, NSW & WA TAFE

    Refrigeration & Air-conditioning Mechanic – Melbourne

    Bricklayer – Sunshine Coast

    Diploma of Jewellery Design & Production – WA TAFE

    Certificate III in Marine Craft Construction/Boat builder – Gold Coast

    Certificate III in Furniture Making – Gold Coast

    Diploma of Engineering Technology/Security Engineering & Certificate III in Locksmithing - Melbourne

    Diploma of Engineering Technology/Mechanical Engineering & Certificate III in Engineering Mechanical - Melbourne

    Lang may yer lum reek!

    Share this post

    Link to post
    Share on other sites

    Thank you Emmaroo,


    Good luck for your forthcoming studies. I found your post really informative. I am hoping to go to Queensland on a student visa with my husband and two sons. We are researching like mad and have been in touch with a few migration experts who essentially told us what you have outlined. Its good to know that everything matches up.


    Good luck PxRxD in your quest. Hope it all works out for you.




    Share this post

    Link to post
    Share on other sites


    Glad you found post useful. Good luck with your studies.




    Lang may yer lum reek!

    Share this post

    Link to post
    Share on other sites

    Create an account or sign in to comment

    You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

    Create an account

    Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

    Register a new account

    Sign in

    Already have an account? Sign in here.

    Sign In Now