First 6 months harder than expected

Guest maxxangel

Guest maxxangel

Yesterday we hit our six month anniversary since we arrived and how much harder it has been than we ever expected. I actually hit a point where I felt like I was grieving. My head told me we'd done the right thing, but my heart wanted to run home to familiarity. I have never felt so isolated. A lot was probably to do with being alone with OH at work and kids at school. My parents came for 2 1/2 weeks end of November beginning of December and I kept crying the day they left. I wouldn't go back though because I feel priveleged to be able to live in such a beautiful country and wish I could bring all my loved ones to be with me.

We got what we hoped for when we came here. More time as a family, more time out doors and a bonus of being/feeling much more healthy without the polution levels of the UK. We have found a wonderful school for the children and I could never take them back to the place we left. Yes, some things are a pain and the TV advertising drive me potty, but the hardest thing was pulling through the....homesickness I guess.

OH is still struggling a bit. Misses his carp fishing and is struggling to find anywhere local where he can catch anything. If anyone knows of any good fishing spots in the Adelaide area that don't require a boat, would very much appreciate hearing from you!

Cara

Guest WARDStoOZ

Hi Cara!

Sorry to hear it has been more of a struggle than expected but homesickness surely crops up with everyone so you're not alone...!

If your mum does come out to Australia (as you said in the other thread that she is considering it) then not only will you feel privileged to live in such a beautiful country but you'll also have more loved ones around too...!!!

Take care,

Dan xx :emoticon-signxmas:

Hi Cara,

sorry to hear you are struggling with homesickness. We have been here 3 months now and the one thing that I keep thinking about is that I can go out shopping and never see anyone I know, they are all strangers, no chance of bumping in to an old friend or even a pain in the neck neighbour who wants to stand and chat when you have a million and one things to do, no popping in on someone for a chat or to cheer them up, no one to pop in on me to cheer me up........... When I think about this it makes me feel a bit lonely.

But I do have family here so I am speaking to a familiar person most days. We are very happy here, I find food shopping good, getting around is easy etc everything feels 'right' I feel at home, I just wish I could have all those friends and family we left in the UK much nearer.

I guess it all takes time to build up those networks of friends and aquaintances and that can only come with time.

Do you meet up with Mums from school? or do you have people you can call up and have a chat with?

Maybe there are people here near where you are who would be happy to meet for a coffee somewhere??

Hope you feel better soon, take care

Karen

Guest KP Nuts

Hi Cara, sorry can't help with the fishing, althou Mr KP and the kids have been out a couple of times to the local beach, but where are you in Adelaide? We are in Seaford Rise down south, anywhere near you??

Take care and come back and let me know

KP Nuts

Guest JoanneHattersley

You will ALWAYS get homesickness! I find that you dont get over it, you learn to live with it! OH is severely homesick this week after having a death in the family! We`ve been here 4 years!

Yesterday we hit our six month anniversary since we arrived and how much harder it has been than we ever expected. I actually hit a point where I felt like I was grieving. My head told me we'd done the right thing, but my heart wanted to run home to familiarity. I have never felt so isolated. A lot was probably to do with being alone with OH at work and kids at school. My parents came for 2 1/2 weeks end of November beginning of December and I kept crying the day they left. I wouldn't go back though because I feel priveleged to be able to live in such a beautiful country and wish I could bring all my loved ones to be with me.

We got what we hoped for when we came here. More time as a family, more time out doors and a bonus of being/felling much more healthy without the polution levels of the UK. We have found a wonderful school for the children and I could never take them back to the place we left. Yes, some things are a pain and the TV advertising drive me potty, but the hardest thing was pulling through the....homesickness I guess.

OH is still struggling a bit. Misses his carp fishing and is struggling to find anywhere local where he can catch anything. If anyone knows of any good fishing spots in the Adelaide area that don't require a boat, would very much appreciate hearing from you!

Cara

hiya cara,were heading for adelaide next year, got to at least validate by june 09,but hope to sell house and move for good before june anyway,why dont you p.m "tyke"?he seems a good lad ,hes in adelaide and into fishing,or maybe join poms in adelaide and get info there?good luck anyway cara

Guest nareyclan

We have heard that building up the friend base is the most difficult thing. My OH is quite scared about it. I will be at work and to be honest the job I do is very socially orientated so hopefully that will help .

One piece of advise that we did get here on PIO is when youget an invite to a BBQ or get together then go. The people we working with, or meet already have the friend base so there hand of friend ship is just that.

Good luck with the homesickness. If it is any concillation I have know blokes in my line of work, which involves a conciderable amount of time away from loved ones who suffer but it does pass.

Good post hope. Its very hard moving to anywhere new. Making friends takes time and looking at my friends its funny how you meet them. Some neighbours become friends, some workmates do, other people are met by accident in the street or the supermarket and you just click.

Have a lovely Christmas and hope the day is perfect not too hot not too cold.

:emoticon-signxmas:

Guest maxxangel
Hi Cara, sorry can't help with the fishing, althou Mr KP and the kids have been out a couple of times to the local beach, but where are you in Adelaide? We are in Seaford Rise down south, anywhere near you??

Take care and come back and let me know

KP Nuts

Hey! KP! Didn't realise we'd headed for the same area. We started out in a rental at Huntfield Heights near Nourlunga, so fairly close then, but now in the north east in Ridgehaven near Modbury.

I don't have a car at the moment which doesn't help; otherwise I would have gone to the settlers group in Leabrook.

Cara

I think moving is a bit like organising a funeral - you're so busy doing things initially that you don't have time to feel lonley .... then once everything is organised you start to miss your friendships. As someone said, it does take time to develop these new friendships

ali

Guest KP Nuts
Hey! KP! Didn't realise we'd headed for the same area. We started out in a rental at Huntfield Heights near Nourlunga, so fairly close then, but now in the north east in Ridgehaven near Modbury.

I don't have a car at the moment which doesn't help; otherwise I would have gone to the settlers group in Leabrook.

Cara

Hey Cara, that's a shame your not a bit closer, I do have a car, but it's the kids school holidays at the moment, and I'm not to good with getting around further than the shopping centre and the beach, lol..... but how about a coffee after the school holidays?

Hope you have a good Christmas.

KP Nuts

Guest maxxangel
I think moving is a bit like organising a funeral - you're so busy doing things initially that you don't have time to feel lonley .... then once everything is organised you start to miss your friendships. As someone said, it does take time to develop these new friendships

ali

Not a comparisson I would have thought of, but somehow appropriate.

Guest maxxangel
Hey Cara, that's a shame your not a bit closer, I do have a car, but it's the kids school holidays at the moment, and I'm not to good with getting around further than the shopping centre and the beach, lol..... but how about a coffee after the school holidays?

Hope you have a good Christmas.

KP Nuts

School holidays should keep me pretty distracted anyway. Hopefully we will soon know if my husband will be getting his work vehicle that he has been promised for the last 6 months.

A drink after the school holidays sound good!

Cara

Guest KP Nuts
School holidays should keep me pretty distracted anyway. Hopefully we will soon know if my husband will be getting his work vehicle that he has been promised for the last 6 months.

A drink after the school holidays sound good!

Cara

OK, it's a date then....

Looking forward to it.

KP Nuts

I know how he feels about fishing its a change to not bang boilies in and its mulies and prawns and a broomstick intead of a 14 metre pole and bullrope instead of finesse but you get the hang of it , one big difference everything here seems to have teeth OUCH! first hand experience

Mally

Guest treesea

For carp fishing, try the River Torrens. One of my brother's friends fished for carp on Mawson Lakes, though I am not sure how successfully. Word of warning with European carp though - it's considered a pest in Australia, so if you catch it, you have to kill it. It's an offence in Australia to return carp to the water alive.

I remember going down to the jetty at about 5am, pre dawn, and catching heaps of bream (not as exciting, but better eating than carp) by throwing bread on the water then scooping up the fish that came up to eat in nets. Possibly not the kind of fishing your OH had in mind :-)

Archived