Pickfords

jvm

Guest stue116

Hi, we had the guy round on friday from Pickfords to do the inventry seemed very professional, but haven't got my quote yet.

had a guy from GB Liners today and was much more knowledgeble ( big word for me) lol, He told me not to take my fridge freezer (too old) and to take things I was going to leave behind, constantly gave me advice as we wondered round the house and told me how to get my wasing machine really dry by using tea bags!!

I told him I had pickfords round and he asked me to google them and read, said he wouldn't bad mouth another company but that would tell me about them. I haven't yet.

I think you have to go with your gut feeling if you have a few companies round or here a couple of good recommendations you should be ok, I haven't heard of any horror stories of any of the big companies, but maybe someone will let us know, good luck Sam

:emoticon-signxmas:

We moved here with Pickfords and had no problems at all. There are a lot of stories going around about them but the service we received was good.

I have to say we only moved across Yorkshire and they Pickfords, did £3000 worth of damage their staff were incompetant they took doors off wardrobes and stacked them hinges against other doors no covers between scraping them loads of glassware and pottery smashed due to inadequate packaging, this was a relocation by my husnamds new compamy organised by them and so we never got to see the insurance policy big mistake we werent covered for loss or damage!!!

Look carefully into what your fee acually covers. I have just relocated a family who used pickfords and not only where they over-sold by a huge amount (charged for 40ft and only used just over half) they had a fight to get a refund and the icing on the cake was Pickfords in Brisbane then wanted $600 for a 40tf container (sole use) to clear customs !!!! apparantly this cost isnt included in your fee at the uk end ,so not only did they have the hassle of getting a refund ,they add the added hassle of getting brisbane end to understand they didnt have sole use of that container so wasnt willing to pay the full fee, needless to say they are still waiting for their stuff!!!

Check everything very carefully

Cal x

Hi Val

We used Pickfords (Glasgow branch) for our move to Melbourne from St Andrews in 2007. Must say I found both the UK end and the Melbourne end very good indeed. We did have some damage done to a wardrobe but the insurance, arranged through Pickfords, paid up after being supplied with photos and a repair quote.

I'd certainly recommend them.

Mike.

Thanks everyone, we also got a quote from Crown. I have done a bit of research on Pickfords and I know there are lots stories going about I have changed my mind. Think we are going to go with Crown as there quote includes everything. Haven't really heard anything bad about them, but feedback would be good.

Valerie

Personally i dont think you will go wrong with Crown , they arent the cheapest but when its your wordly possesions, who cares? lol,i have used them twice and know of numerous other familys who have been happy with their service, good luck with everything

Cal x

They are qll the same some have good experiences and some have bad, we used brittania appleyards local great no bother guys at uk verey good oz subbies were good only thing put table legs on back to front pittled ourselves but no probs. Better advice than crown about storing stuyff into every available orifice ( sounds painful ) but cut volume down, which is the cost

Mally

PIO Turnip

Well we have decided to use Crown as we've had a few good reports about them. I know they are a bit more expensive but have been told "you only get what you pay for", so here's hoping. Booked in for the 15-16 Jan. Thankfully we should be able to enjoy Xmas and NY with our own furniture before it disappears!!

Thanks to everyone who has given me there advice.

Valerie

Hi,

our was moved by pickfords and just arrived yesterday. They were quite professional but there was definitely some problems. The guys who came to pack our furniture were very nice but they didn't really care about handling things carefully and broke a vase whilst packing but didn't say anything about it. They also packed everything in a rush and a couple of items were broken when they arrived in Australia. I was not in the house when things were packed and my wife didn't say too much because they were quite helpful but careless. Our goods arrived yesterday and were unloadedvery quickly. The guys who unloaded said there would be 2 girls coming to help unpack but they nevr arrived. We are left having to organise disposal of all the packaging.

These

Guest joandybarron

Hi, yes we used them, our stuff is currently in storage in Sydney with them.. until we move into our new house on 6 Feb... good service so far... 4 weeks free storage in the UK... make sure you remind them if you use it...

have used Doree Bonner before - very good, but expensive... and Crown Relocation - not so good..

we've done this a few times.....

let me know if you have any specific questions...

jo.

Guest joandybarron

I think with all of the companies you are at the mercy of the people on the day. We had really considerate packers from Pickfords... not have the delivery yet though.....

Hi,

our was moved by pickfords and just arrived yesterday. They were quite professional but there was definitely some problems. The guys who came to pack our furniture were very nice but they didn't really care about handling things carefully and broke a vase whilst packing but didn't say anything about it. They also packed everything in a rush and a couple of items were broken when they arrived in Australia. I was not in the house when things were packed and my wife didn't say too much because they were quite helpful but careless. Our goods arrived yesterday and were unloadedvery quickly. The guys who unloaded said there would be 2 girls coming to help unpack but they nevr arrived. We are left having to organise disposal of all the packaging.

These are all the moans I have and we are in contact with pickfords regarding these issues.

I used pickfords previously when I lived in South Africa for a time and they were great. The issues I have a fairly minor and in all I would use them again, maybe on the basis of 'better the devil you know' but I would advise you watch them carefully when they pack your goods and you get a clear understanding of what will happen when your goods arrive. The second part is difficult as the UK people will tell you that you need to contact their australian colleagues and phone calls may not be east from a time or cost perspective. If you pack you goods yourself they will not be responsible for breakage so I wouldn't take that option

In all unless you have another company that are far cheaper and seem to offer the same service then I would go ahead as they are quite professional as I have said.

Whoever you use watch what you pack. The australians are very strict on food/plants. We had a full container of furniture clothes etc and they found 3 pine cones on some christmas decorations we never even knew about. I had to have them destroyed at a cost of $88 ( seemed better than the $600 for fumigation. I'll find my own cones here)

Watch how they pack things and make it clear to the rep you are going to be fussy and you should be ok

Good luck

Ian

Guest claire&fred

I could not highly recommend Pickfords more. We had 3 blokes move us over 3 days. Not only were they good at their job they were also nice. Our container left on 4 July and arrived in Perth on 4 August. 4 weeks is all it took. It cleared customs and quarantine and was all unpacked in our rental 2 weeks later. We were going from East Sussex to Perth and they were in constant contact with us all the way. They were friendly, helpful and professional. My mum has used Pickfords for years and years and she has travelled the world which is why we decided to go with them.

I suppose also it depends what branch you get and what packers as I guess they are not all the same. Whatever your decision goodluck.

Claire

Hi,

These are all the moans I have and we are in contact with pickfords regarding these issues.

I used pickfords previously when I lived in South Africa for a time and they were great. The issues I have a fairly minor and in all I would use them again, maybe on the basis of 'better the devil you know' but I would advise you watch them carefully when they pack your goods and you get a clear understanding of what will happen when your goods arrive. The second part is difficult as the UK people will tell you that you need to contact their australian colleagues and phone calls may not be east from a time or cost perspective. If you pack you goods yourself they will not be responsible for breakage so I wouldn't take that option

In all unless you have another company that are far cheaper and seem to offer the same service then I would go ahead as they are quite professional as I have said.

Whoever you use watch what you pack. The australians are very strict on food/plants. We had a full container of furniture clothes etc and they found 3 pine cones on some christmas decorations we never even knew about. I had to have them destroyed at a cost of $88 ( seemed better than the $600 for fumigation. I'll find my own cones here)

Watch how they pack things and make it clear to the rep you are going to be fussy and you should be ok

Good luck

Ian

The exact thing happend to us they found 2 or three pine cones but we didnt have to pay to have them destroyed, but would have done to have them fumigated,

All in all pickfords were very good we had two containers and very little damage, what was damaged was insured and settled within a couple of weeks.

Would use them again.

Christine

Guest lillibet

My auntie works for crown (in the leeds branch) and my dad used to work for them, they are very good and the removal guys are really nice.

Guest hindinh

I'm in Australia having used Crown Relocations - as I havent received my goods yet I can't comment on them other than their minimun is 100 cuft (about 20 boxes) - they don't actually advertise this fact so I've been charged the 100cu ft amount for shipping only 70cu ft. - be warned if you only have a small consignment to shop around. Other than that their packers were very fast, clean and professional

Guest prettyinpink

We used Pickfords for our move out to Perth. The Manchester branch were excellent - packing was a very high standard. The Perth branch were fine and kept us informed. The imports section though was in Melbourne (not Perth) and I found them quite a pain in the backside. They didn't seem very professional at all so we just dealt with Perth regardless. We had no damage at all and everything was delivered in 2 hours. We had 2 girls arrived a few hours later to unpack for us but we'd just got stuck in ourselves, so they took all the packing stuff away. We had actually gone over our quoted volume but Pickfords didn't charge us extra for it. I would recommend them for packing and shipping, but for paperwork and communication - not so hot!

I'm in Australia having used Crown Relocations - as I havent received my goods yet I can't comment on them other than their minimun is 100 cuft (about 20 boxes) - they don't actually advertise this fact so I've been charged the 100cu ft amount for shipping only 70cu ft. - be warned if you only have a small consignment to shop around. Other than that their packers were very fast, clean and professional

Is this something new Crown have brought in ? i have shipped 2 seperate small lots with them ,the first 18 boxes , the second approx 10 boxes , we paid about 800gbp for the first lot and that included ALL charges uk and oz,an extra charge for being out of delivery radius and the tax and insurance, the second lot was a fair few hundred cheaper again. Their service was excellent so to us it was money well spent

Cal x

Guest hindinh

It could be a new thing because I paid about the same as what you quoted including insurance and taxes for my 70cuft. Anyway the main thing was getting myself to Australia and as I said to the shipping guys, if my goods go overboard at least I'll get £5k to start again with and wont have to sort out what to do with the stuff when it arrives. I only hope they realised that I was joking as I'm yet to see any of it!! My 'New Country' resolution is not to get worked up about unimportant things and I guess this is one of them.

Archived