Mini Rant about renting in Oz

twinsmom65

Well I had my first experience with the lovely dealings of renting in Australia. OMG... I can't believe how picky they are when it comes to vacating the premises. We were in our temporary rental for all of 5 weeks and yet we had to pay to have the carpets cleaned.

They went through the Final inspection of day of handing over the keys and what a joke... we had spent 3 hours cleaning the place till it shone...not good enough for the owners, all they good say was it needs a good cleaning.

This never happens in Canada, you pay a security deposit, in case you do major damage to the unit. Here it seems they nitpick every little detail. I spoke to a girl at work who moved from the UK 2 years ago, and I guess this is really common here in Australia. She mentioned that her first year renting was an absolute nightmare.

So now we are on tender hooks to see if we get our bond back ($2000). I will be so upset if we don't get it back.

The lesson I have learned from this lovely experience, is that it makes me even more determined to buy our own house sooner.

What a joke there rental system is...

Oh well mini rant over... on the other hand, I am loving my new job and life here in Perth...so as the aussies would say... No Worries LOL

Karen

Trying to get your bond back can be a nightmare , i guess we were lucky and had a good agency , (along with a supersize bottle of bleach for washing 'kid marks' off the wall,lol but we had also been pre-warned about how piccy they can be, and in all honesty after seeing the state of some houses the Aussies vacate, i do understand why the agents can be hard work! lol

The best thing for anyone is to look through the house with a toothcomb when you are given the entry report, if possible take photos(or even camcord) any current damage/marks/stains etc and always make sure you confront the agent about it, add it to the entry inspection report and make sure they sign it.I have known people charged for a cobweb outside, dust in the bath, really stupid things,of course you are offered the option to correct the faults so you can recieve your bond back in full but this isnt always possible if you have left the area.

Fingers crossed you recieve yours back in full Karen

Cal x

was it nice and clean when you moved in??

over here it doesnt matter how long you live in teh house you have to get the carpets cleaned when you leave.

Buying is a whole different story. Our house was a right mess when we moved in, i dont think it had been cleaned in years

Well I had my first experience with the lovely dealings of renting in Australia. OMG... I can't believe how picky they are when it comes to vacating the premises. We were in our temporary rental for all of 5 weeks and yet we had to pay to have the carpets cleaned.

They went through the Final inspection of day of handing over the keys and what a joke... we had spent 3 hours cleaning the place till it shone...not good enough for the owners, all they good say was it needs a good cleaning.

This never happens in Canada, you pay a security deposit, in case you do major damage to the unit. Here it seems they nitpick every little detail. I spoke to a girl at work who moved from the UK 2 years ago, and I guess this is really common here in Australia. She mentioned that her first year renting was an absolute nightmare.

So now we are on tender hooks to see if we get our bond back ($2000). I will be so upset if we don't get it back.

The lesson I have learned from this lovely experience, is that it makes me even more determined to buy our own house sooner.

Oh well mini rant over... on the other hand, I am loving my new job and life here in Perth...so as the aussies would say... No Worries LOL

Karen

Watch for the rent money apparently a rental agency in joondalup thinks 6 months rent in 2 weekly payments mean 5 months 3 weeks and 6 days we moved in on friday checked out on the friday and owed 1 day rent off the bond .The computer read out says you pay fri to thursday so take a tip if you are due to check out on a certain day check out the day berfore to save the scam.

mally

Karen

Hi Karen;

Don't know if this makes you feel any better, but when we came back to the UK and rented our house out in Brisbane we had to have the house spotless for our tennants too. We ended up having to get a cleaner in because we didn't do a good enough job before we left! Lol

Deb

Guest The Pom Queen

Karen

Sorry you have had a bad experience, I can't believe they asked for the carpets cleaning on a 5 week rental!!!

Like Cal says make sure you get everything down in writing, every little mark, every little stain, every chip because otherwsie they could be using it as an excuse to claim the bond back. We rented ours out for 12 months prior to doing the short term rental and we had an agency looking after it for us, when the tennants vacated we met the agent at the house to get they keys back and she was wanting to deduct from their bond because there was soap scum on the edge of the dishwasher and because there was dust in the air vent and a bit of dirt in the tracks of the patio doors, we told her we were not bothered one bit and she kept saying that we should claim, we told her it was something and nothing and it would only take a couple of minutes to put right.

I always advise our clients to do a proeprty report when they get in to their long term rentals.

Guest Working to fish
Watch for the rent money apparently a rental agency in joondalup thinks 6 months rent in 2 weekly payments mean 5 months 3 weeks and 6 days we moved in on friday checked out on the friday and owed 1 day rent off the bond .The computer read out says you pay fri to thursday so take a tip if you are due to check out on a certain day check out the day berfore to save the scam.

mally

Yes beware of the scam ,when we left beerwah we got screwed for 2 extra days rent ,also payed $160 for carpets to be cleaned ,the guy was there cleaning for 17 minutes.

eddie:shocked:

Yes beware of the scam ,when we left beerwah we got screwed for 2 extra days rent ,also payed $160 for carpets to be cleaned ,the guy was there cleaning for 17 minutes.

eddie:shocked:

We had already left paid for carpets he waas out in about 20 mis because oh went to clean, the best bit is we had moved to this rental 2 weeks before so we did not miss out as we have a mutt. The rental agency would not check us out earlier than the friday and charged us extra, this outfit tries it gonna do my damnest to fight it . But then again they just pick on a fault in the house like a misplaced fly

Mally

They tried to get us by saying that there was water on the draining board - I`d had a drink of water whilst waiting for the carpet guy and a wee bit had spilled onto the draining board but hardly anything (a few drops)another thing on the list was the fact we`d left a pen next to the phone (no I kid you not). I went mental over the phone when they came out with that one - to say the air was blue was an understatement - we did get our bond back eventually though.

Guest tandcmum

they are as bad in the UK. We have been renting over here for a few years now and have some ridiculous reasons for wanting to keep our deposit. The best one was the grass was too long (we left the rental in july and it was 2 weeks later when the owners went to look at it so of course the grass had grown since we cut it before we left)

think we wil be scrubbing this one ridiculously clean before we leave as the deposit will come in handy for oz

Guest WARDStoOZ
Sorry to hear about your bad experience of rental, but pleased your job is going well and your enjoying Perth

Keep us posted

Tania X

Ditto...!!! Tania has taken the words out of my mouth lol ...!

Take care Karen,

Dan xx

If you spend a full day cleaning (2 people) you can get your money back. You still have to get the carpets professionally cleaned and you don't have to use the mob they tell you to use.

Get everything in writing, don't argue with them just ask for averything in writing. Keep records of everything. They will try to to extract more money at the end, so record every little scratch on the 'condition report' going in. Take time to look at the condition of the house after you have the keys but get the report back in a timely manner also. Take photo's as back up.

Ask for an account statement of your payments a couple of weeks before 'giving notice to leave'.

Archived