are they closing the doors?

Guest beverley

Guest beverley

Hi guys im wondering if anyone can give me some info as im really worried.

My boyfriend heard on the radio yesterday that the australian governement are going

to put a hold on people entering the country due to the recession out there. So all the people wanting to go need to hurry up to sumbit their visas as they may close the doors for a while!?

After 5 years of going to college, and working to get skills. passing the vetassess and being so close i feel like i could cry!

Luckily we now have all the paperwork so im off to the solicitors this week and will post all details to agent straight away so hopefully will have our visa submitted this week.

Has anyone else heard this? What are your views i just wouldnt know what to do if they did as our lives have been practically on hold all this time while we are working to get ourselves out there! :cryxmas:

Have not read anything about this in the papers. That is not to say that it will or may happen. It depends on how things go. If Australians start to lose their jobs then the government will want them to have first pick of any jobs that are available to lower their commitment to the dole.

I think that things may slow next year when the contracts with China for our ore come up for renegotiating. I do not thing that China will want to pay as much as it is now, this will mean we have reduced revenue here.

At the moment the gov is trying to stimulate the housing market. As far as I am concerned this is where the western world has gone wrong in recent years.

Widgets is what is needed and China builds them all now.

Guest annemarie and brian

hi have heard that maybe next year they are going to slow the numbers

down on the visa issue but not actually close it all together.

i hope this helps.

annemarie

Guest littlesarah

Surely there are some workers that will still be needed, recession or not? I'm thinking about health care professionals, many of whom are in short supply globally. People will always get sick...

Guest beverley

thanks for all your replies guys i can sleep tonight!!

am still going to get my butt in gear and get all the papers submitted though this week. As if they start slowing the numbers down next year it will probably hit all the trades people more. I cant imagine the health sector and teachers would be effected.

Guest Gollywobbler

Hi All

There is a huge amount of politicking going on in Oz at the moment with the Government saying one thing and the Loyal Opposition (??? - I think that is their official moniker) claiming the reverse. The Unions are busily paddling their own propaganda canoe as well.

Senator Chris Evans is the new Minister for Immi under the new Rudd Government. He says that he intends to consider the mid-year economic indicators (which should be available in Dec/Jan since the Year End is June 30th.) After that, he and his officials will start to formulate the Migration Program for 2009/10. They do not normally make any announcements for the Migration Program until they release the Budget for the forthcoming financial year, usually in mid-May.

Beyond this, everything else is pure speculation by the media and others. I'd be looking at the political alignments of the relevant newspapers and radio stations if it were me.

Best wishes

Gill

Guest tomatohead

my best friend who owns a business in sydney was over in august and he said to me " what recession " he is in construction and that is usually one of the first to suffer

A lot has changed since August and I can imagine that immigration will be one of the first things to be tweaked and I wouldnt be surprised to see a cut in numbers. There are plenty of teachers and nurses in Australia, they have just made different choices about where to work but if the job market becomes tight and they lose their jobs in whichever field they may be working in or their partner gets made redundant then they will be moving back into teaching and nursing. The beginning trend is for retirees whose super has gone down the pan to try and move back into the workforce but Aus is pretty ageist and they arent always finding it easy either. The minister did say earlier that the 457 visa would be the first to be cut and that people seeking pr from the 457 would not necessarily get it but afaik he hasnt done anything about it yet although employers are apparently being less keen to employ migrants when they have a big local pool of talent to choose from now.

Guest colletteblue
hi have heard that maybe next year they are going to slow the numbers

down on the visa issue but not actually close it all together.

i hope this helps.

annemarie

i was told by agent this was going to happen

The politcal commentators are saying that the agenda next year will be jobs, jobs and just possibly jobs!

Having said that the immigration process will slow but probably won't stop. Service industries will start to feel bite as much as any other as revenue will drop. The world won't come to an end... its just another recession. I wouldn't worry about it!

Hi guys im wondering if anyone can give me some info as im really worried.

My boyfriend heard on the radio yesterday that the australian governement are going

to put a hold on people entering the country due to the recession out there. So all the people wanting to go need to hurry up to sumbit their visas as they may close the doors for a while!?

After 5 years of going to college, and working to get skills. passing the vetassess and being so close i feel like i could cry!

Luckily we now have all the paperwork so im off to the solicitors this week and will post all details to agent straight away so hopefully will have our visa submitted this week.

Has anyone else heard this? What are your views i just wouldnt know what to do if they did as our lives have been practically on hold all this time while we are working to get ourselves out there! :cryxmas:

this story came out a fortnight ago all it is,

is a member off the opposition party in the australian party said the government should stop immigration because of the slow down of which the prime minister replied that immigrants have a positive effect on the economy and that it would be foolish to stop the immigration program.

its just something that the press have made a full blown story out of and there are no plans at all to freeze immigration

hope this helps

Guest earlswood

I think it depends on how australia handles the recession...this is what the minister in charge said last month.

Minister Chris Evans said the government would wait until the release in November of mid-year financial data before deciding on whether to reduce numbers.

"Clearly if the demand for labour comes off you'd adjust the migration programme accordingly," he told Nine Network television. "We can turn the taps off if we need to.

"But there are still industries with strong demand for labour and we'll just have to talk to industry and make a judgment about what the appropriate level will be once we've got a bit better idea of what's happening in the economy."

Around 190,300 immigrants are projected to arrive in Australia in 2008/09, with skilled workers accounting for most places as the country battles chronic labour shortages in some sectors.

Archived