car insurance

Guest biggsey

Guest biggsey

when driving in aus how does insurance work ,uk goes by experience and number of no claims ,just wandering how it works in aus for car insurance.

To register a motor vehicle ( same as road fund licence in uk ) for a year you have to get CTP ( compulsary third party ) cover . These are commonly called Green Slips and are obtained from an insurer of your choice . They cover personal liability only and do not cover property liability . There are no other legal insurance requirements . This means that a 17 yr old can legally drive a sports car with no third party property cover , a disaster waiting to happen , and it often does . It is wise to obtain property cover , and this is also sourced from an insurer of your choice . No claims bonus's work the same as in the UK , that it they are based on experience and driving record .

Hope this helps

Dave

Hi Dave,

do they take into consideration the number of years no claims you've built up in the UK? Thanks.

No sure I'm afraid . The best thing to do is bring over your latest renewal notice and shop around .... Sorry .

Dave

When i got my insurance they asked what no claims i had ,i explained we were new to country but had full no claims in uk and they gave me a discount ,not sure how much but premium is much cheaper than in uk and for fully comp.I did everything over the phone ,was still on uk licence and at a tempory adress it dosnt seem as complex here as the uk.hope this helps

Cal x

• 3 weeks later...
Guest franny22

does anyone know if we can ship our cars over with us as i heard cars were quite expensive in oz. we want to move to perth. one car is an old mini and the other is a vauxhall zafira.

thanks

Guest franny22

thanks for your reply but i am wondering if its worthwhile actully shipping our cars over with us.

ty xx

Archived