and join in with discussions   
ask migration questions
message other members

..and much much more!

Guest Colette & Allibongo

commuting towns to brisbane

Hi There,

when my visa eventually arrives, looking at moving to Brisbane, or surrounding areas.

I will be working in the city and am looking at living up to an hours drive from brisbane. I was looking at Southport but has anyone any ideas on a nice suburb on the coast. whats traffic like to brisbane from the south? same goes for public transport?

look forward to hearing from people living out there or who have lived and worked in brisbane.:hug:

Hi , have a look at Coomera, Eagle Heights, Mt Warren Park, Pacific Pines, Oxenford all nice suburbs within an hour's commute of the city, cant help feeling you might find the drive to work and back a tad annoying after a while, the highway can get very busy.

Good Luck with everything

Cal x

If you don't go after what you want, you'll never have it. If you don't ask, the answer is always no. If you don't step forward, you're always in the same place...

If you get a chance,take it, If it changes your life,let it. Nobody said it would be easy they just said it would be worth it...

Hi there,

I've been looking at the Goodna, Springfield Lakes area near Brisbane, does anyone know what these areas are like. The property rental looks reasonably priced and a lot of house for the money. Would appreciate some advice from anyone who knows the area. We dont have small children so not looking for schools etc. but would like good restaurants, shopping and easy commute to Brisbane.

Springfield lakes is lovely ,new houses, big shopping centre and good schools. Goodna dosnt carry a great reputation but i guess its personal choice and what someone else likes you may not and vice versa. Good Luck

Cal x

If you don't go after what you want, you'll never have it. If you don't ask, the answer is always no. If you don't step forward, you're always in the same place...

If you get a chance,take it, If it changes your life,let it. Nobody said it would be easy they just said it would be worth it...

Guest Davidgolf

Hi i have to agree with Cal Goodna does not have a really good rep, Springfield Lakes does look really nice got every thing on your doorstep.

Sharon x

Thanks for the advice, I had a feeling that there would be some reason as the prices are so much lower than other area's. Cal would you be able to help with rental in the springfield lakes area when we are ready to move. hopefully around June/July next year. I have just sent paperwork back to QNMC today, they returned them as I hadnt enclosed the right fee, so not sure exactly when it will be, depends on how long it takes to get registered. From what I can gather, once this is done visa doesn't take too long.

thanks guys.,

lynne

Hiya , of course i can help you , feel free to contact as soon as you have some rough dates and i will pencil you in. Springfield lakes is only about 15 mins from here and im sure you will like it, its a lovely family orientated area.

Brookwater is also becoming popular with all the development so you could look their too its only a stones throw away.

Cal x

Thanks Cal

I've just been looking at Jimboomba, it looks fantastic, very pretty and rural. We love to be outdoors and I have to say a lot of the properties in Springfield Lakes dont seem to have a very big garden. I really dont want to be travelling any more than 30 mins from work which will be the Mater Hospital so any suggestions will be much appriciated. My sister is also coming with her hubby at the same time and they are looking at the Manly area but I think thats a bit pricey for us. It's just so confusing. Cant wait to get there now, it's absolutely freezing here. Hope the QNMC dont take too long lol

Guest HappyBunny
Hi There,

when my visa eventually arrives, looking at moving to Brisbane, or surrounding areas.

I will be working in the city and am looking at living up to an hours drive from brisbane. I was looking at Southport but has anyone any ideas on a nice suburb on the coast. whats traffic like to brisbane from the south? same goes for public transport?

look forward to hearing from people living out there or who have lived and worked in brisbane.:hug:

Hi there, thought I'd reply to your request as your post seems to be have been hijacked!!

We found that deciding on the right suburb was the hardest part of moving here. I presume from your thread that you don't have kids so won't need to worry about schools and that being near the coast is a priority for you?

Think about Brisbane, it does have some very nice suburbs and is only about an hour from the coast so you could still drive down at the weekends. There is something for everyone. The South Bank is lovely, you have the inland beach and the cafes and Queen Street Mall isn't far. You can live in one of the trendy areas near the centre like Bulimba or move further out where the rent is a bit cheaper and get the bus or the city cat into the centre. Check out www.ourbrisbane.com if you think city living might be an option.

If you definately don't want the city life then ask yourself what other facilities you want close at hand. Do you want to be close to the big shopping malls or are you happy just to have local shops on your doorstep? Do you want a nightlife or are there other facilities that you need to be near? Do you want to drive to work everyday or would you rather use the train?

I know it's a lot to think about but try to avoid the pitfall of moving to a suburb without researching it properly and then finding out it doesn't have any of the facilities that you need.

You've said that you are prepared to drive for up to an hour and have mentioned Southport so I will start southside first. We live on the Northern Gold Coast in Ormeau. This is commuter band. We are approximately 35 minutes from Brisbane and 25 minutes to the Northern Gold Coast beaches. Ormeau is a newish suburb so lots of lowset detached homes, some duplexes (semis) but not many units. There is a reasonable range of local shops (everything you need on a day to day basis) a doctors, vets, florist, post office, garage etc. We also have a train station which depending on where you live is 5-10 minutes in the car and is on the mainline into Brisbane. There are lots of similar areas around here that are also popular with commuters such as Coomera, Upper Coomera, Pacific Pines and Helensvale. All have pretty good facilities and Helensvale has a Westfield (shopping mall). You mentioned Southport, which does have a lot of facilities but most people feel is a bit dated and in need of a revamp. If that area grabs you I would suggest Arundel over Southport. You could go a bit further down but to be honest I wouldn't go further south than Helensvale, which is 10 minutes further down the motorway from us, until you've been here a while and can decide whether you are happy with the commute. FWIW I feel the commute is better Southside than Northside as the Pacific Motorway has more lanes than the Gateway that comes into the city from the North and seems to experience more delays.

There are some lovely areas that are a bit more rural but if your priority is the coast they are probably not what you are looking for. South of Brisbane the only areas I would advise you to avoid is Logan Central on the outskirts of the city suburbs and Beenleigh.

Northside you have Redcliffe Peninsula. North Lakes is a new suburb popular with a lot of Brits and has a large Westfield, it's just off the motorway so the commute isn't too bad. Mango Hill is nice but less houses available for rent than it's neighbour North Lakes. Redcliffe is popular with families, older houses mainly and a bit jaded. Lovely inland lagoon but the beaches don't have much surf as they are sheltered from the ocean by Islands. Margate and Scarborough in my opinion are nicer than Redcliffe itself but that is only my opinion.

This isn't an exhaustive list but hopefully it might get you thinking about what you want from the area you choose. Have a look on Googlemaps at the areas I've mentioned and if there are any you think you might like check out the rental prices and types of houses available on www.realestate.com.au . If you have any questions about specific suburbs don't feel shy about posting another thread as it is easier for people to help with specific queries. Hope this helps and good luck. x

wow, happy bunny

fantastic post, loads of really info, i was thinking that the gold coast may be to far but maybe not. its really useful to have someone who has already been to these places as they all look great when looking on the web, obviously they only put good bits on. thanks so much for the time you took to post this, I know it me who asked but hope you dont mind me pinching the info.

Thanks a million for all that info. I dont really like Southport but i thought it would be an area to start. Certainly there seems to be no shortage of nice suburbs and i will have to look into them all in more detail. We would like to be by the coast but if its only a 30 min drive anyhow thats fien with us. We generally want to be in a nice freindly neighbourhood close to shops and close to public transport networks. Both of us will probably have to drive to the city centre for work most days but having a train on the doorstep would be ideal. Is this the only form of public transport into the city centre? Is it a fast train? regualr services etc? I know im going off the point but you seem to know your way around brisbane.! Thanks again for all your info!

Guest HappyBunny
Thanks a million for all that info. I dont really like Southport but i thought it would be an area to start. Certainly there seems to be no shortage of nice suburbs and i will have to look into them all in more detail. We would like to be by the coast but if its only a 30 min drive anyhow thats fien with us. We generally want to be in a nice freindly neighbourhood close to shops and close to public transport networks. Both of us will probably have to drive to the city centre for work most days but having a train on the doorstep would be ideal. Is this the only form of public transport into the city centre? Is it a fast train? regualr services etc? I know im going off the point but you seem to know your way around brisbane.! Thanks again for all your info!

Hi, we've not been here that long but you learn quickly when you have to!! The only form of transport from here into Brisbane is the train it's regular and reasonably priced, check out Citytrain - Plan your trip - Train timetable & fares for more details. The buses round here don't go into Brisbane, though can't comment on other areas. x

Hi there, thought I'd reply to your request as your post seems to be have been hijacked!!

We found that deciding on the right suburb was the hardest part of moving here. I presume from your thread that you don't have kids so won't need to worry about schools and that being near the coast is a priority for you?

Think about Brisbane, it does have some very nice suburbs and is only about an hour from the coast so you could still drive down at the weekends. There is something for everyone. The South Bank is lovely, you have the inland beach and the cafes and Queen Street Mall isn't far. You can live in one of the trendy areas near the centre like Bulimba or move further out where the rent is a bit cheaper and get the bus or the city cat into the centre. Check out www.ourbrisbane.com if you think city living might be an option.

If you definately don't want the city life then ask yourself what other facilities you want close at hand. Do you want to be close to the big shopping malls or are you happy just to have local shops on your doorstep? Do you want a nightlife or are there other facilities that you need to be near? Do you want to drive to work everyday or would you rather use the train?

I know it's a lot to think about but try to avoid the pitfall of moving to a suburb without researching it properly and then finding out it doesn't have any of the facilities that you need.

You've said that you are prepared to drive for up to an hour and have mentioned Southport so I will start southside first. We live on the Northern Gold Coast in Ormeau. This is commuter band. We are approximately 35 minutes from Brisbane and 25 minutes to the Northern Gold Coast beaches. Ormeau is a newish suburb so lots of lowset detached homes, some duplexes (semis) but not many units. There is a reasonable range of local shops (everything you need on a day to day basis) a doctors, vets, florist, post office, garage etc. We also have a train station which depending on where you live is 5-10 minutes in the car and is on the mainline into Brisbane. There are lots of similar areas around here that are also popular with commuters such as Coomera, Upper Coomera, Pacific Pines and Helensvale. All have pretty good facilities and Helensvale has a Westfield (shopping mall). You mentioned Southport, which does have a lot of facilities but most people feel is a bit dated and in need of a revamp. If that area grabs you I would suggest Arundel over Southport. You could go a bit further down but to be honest I wouldn't go further south than Helensvale, which is 10 minutes further down the motorway from us, until you've been here a while and can decide whether you are happy with the commute. FWIW I feel the commute is better Southside than Northside as the Pacific Motorway has more lanes than the Gateway that comes into the city from the North and seems to experience more delays.

There are some lovely areas that are a bit more rural but if your priority is the coast they are probably not what you are looking for. South of Brisbane the only areas I would advise you to avoid is Logan Central on the outskirts of the city suburbs and Beenleigh.

Northside you have Redcliffe Peninsula. North Lakes is a new suburb popular with a lot of Brits and has a large Westfield, it's just off the motorway so the commute isn't too bad. Mango Hill is nice but less houses available for rent than it's neighbour North Lakes. Redcliffe is popular with families, older houses mainly and a bit jaded. Lovely inland lagoon but the beaches don't have much surf as they are sheltered from the ocean by Islands. Margate and Scarborough in my opinion are nicer than Redcliffe itself but that is only my opinion.

This isn't an exhaustive list but hopefully it might get you thinking about what you want from the area you choose. Have a look on Googlemaps at the areas I've mentioned and if there are any you think you might like check out the rental prices and types of houses available on www.realestate.com.au . If you have any questions about specific suburbs don't feel shy about posting another thread as it is easier for people to help with specific queries. Hope this helps and good luck. x

Is the 35 minutes off peak? I live 15km south of Brisbane CBD and many days it will take me 30 mins during peak hour to get to the city. (15 mins door to door off peak) I would imagine on these days the drive from Ormeau would be 50-60 mins but I've never done it.

In my opinion I think if you have to commute to the CBD every day then you should live in Brisbane and commute to the beach on the weekend. Why suffer 5 days of long commutes just to save a bit of a drive to the beach at the weekend. You probably wouldn't go the beach every weekend anyway and most people spend time in parks, their own pools, etc. which are available everywhere. Better still go to the fake beach in the middle of Brisbane at Southbank :)

Brisbane roads are getting so busy that I think you should consider this...again, just my opinion, some people may do the commute stress free.

Brisbane has been broken into transport hubs with each side of Brisbane generally having a designated hub (usually next to a large shopping mall). If you buy near these you generally will get a good commute.

South: Westfield Garden City - Upper Mt Gravatt

North: Westfield Chermside - Chermside

East: Westfield Carindale - Carindale

West: Indooroopilly Shopping Town - Indooroopilly (I think).

These are the hubs where the government is positioning more shops, jobs, transport etc.

These hubs are approx about 8-12km outside of the CBD. Any suburb along the traffic route between the hub and the CBD or feeding into the hub will usually have the best transport links. These will usually be buses.

Suburbs near the hub or along the route on the southside include: Wishart (very nice family suburb - kids playing on the street), Upper Mt Gravatt (busy but handy) and Mt Gravatt (some great pockets), Eight Mile Plains (big houses - multicultural), Holland Park (old money on the hill), Tarrigindi (beautiful suburb full of trees).

Suburbs near the hub or along the route on the eastside include: Carindale (family suburb popular with greek and italian immigrants), Carina (nice local shops), Carina Heights (the heights make it), Camp Hill (getting closer in now), Norman Park (renovators galore), Coorparoo (mixture of busy shopping and quiet old world houses).

Suburbs near the hub or along the route on the westside include: Indooroopilly (Shops and groovy train station), Taringa (nice local shops and train), Toowong (busy shopping village plus some beautiful quiet area's with nice parks), Auchenflower (can almost walk to work from here), Paddington (my pick).

Suburbs near the hub or along the route on the northside include: Chermside (currently winning the biggest mall in Brisbane competition - we're a dull lot), <no idea - someone else please fill in>.

Train routes only serve some of Brisbane so are very suburb specific. Some people never live near a train their whole life.

My pick is the westside of Brisbane from Paddington outwards until you hit a suburb you can afford or a house size you can live with.

I have left out a huge number of suburbs with good transport - this is just to get you started as I know it must be confusing with so many to look at.

Hope this helps...

I would like to add to my post something all people buying into Brisbane should know. You have to decide whether to shack or not to shack.

When I dragged my Geordie wife to Brisbane I explained to her that almost all houses in Brisbane used to be wooden - which explains why the first 10km or so from the CBD is almost all wooden house.

I'm not living in a bloody shack (said with Geordie accent) she insisted. After repeated attempts I gave up an we moved to the brick belt that really boomed in the late 70's onwards. You can now carbon date the rings around Brisbane from shacks to 70's brick, 80's brick, 90's brick, 00's brick as you go out.

The thing you need to know is that the more classical "shacks" are actually the most sought after, desirable houses in Brisbane. The inner city one's are the best and they usually get less desirable as you go out as the shacks become newer and more plain. They have their issues (draughts, maintenance etc) but are the most beautiful houses full of charm and detail. So the first question you must decide - can you buy an elegant Queenslander home or to you is it just a shack.

Note that after a few years my wife totally changed her mind and we are now looking at shacks.

So roughly the suburbs I listed above are:

Wishart - brick 80's to 00's

Eight Mile Plains - brick 80's to 00's

Upper Mt Gravatt - less desirable shacks and brick 70-80's

Mt Gravatt - less desirable to fair shacks

Holland Park - fair to awesome shacks

Tarragindi - less desirable to awesome shacks

Carindale - 80's to 00's brick

Carina - mostly less desirable shacks

Carina Heights - mostly less desirable shacks and brick 70's to 80's

Camp Hill - better shacks and brick 70's to 80's

Norman Park - some nice shacks

Coorparoo - nice shacks and some unusual (for Brisbane) English style homes.

Indooroopilly - nice shacks and brick?

Taringa - nicer shacks

Toowong - even nicer shacks

Auchenflower - shacks are even better

Paddington - best shacks overall

Thanks a mill, havent been on here in ages otherwise would have thanked you long ago!! very helpful!