Laptops...!!!

Guest WARDStoOZ

hiya dan,

i would say have a look in the uk and see what there is in a way of a deal etc, but if this helps i have just got my oldest a laptop for xmas and we paid just under a $1000 for it!! so think the uk might be cheaper!

sheena :wubclub:

Guest LX_RV86

Hi Dan:

When we were out in Oz, my cousin asked my brother and I to chose a laptop for her, even with a good deal she still payed well over what she would have paid over here!

My laptop is only 1 year old, so I'll be taking this with me to Oz, but I'm also re-building my PC before we go :-) things technology wise seem much more expensive over there than they are here :-)

Guest WARDStoOZ

Hi all...!

Thanks for your replies everyone!!!

They have been very helpful...!

I was thinking that we'd take advantage of the January sales + the credit crunch (thanks the andrews!) and buy a laptop soon, but now I'm worried about the warranty! Also, would all things bought in Oz work on a laptop bought in the U.K. - i.e. are the laptops the same no matter where you buy them???

Regards,

Dan xx

Guest julie2g1b

hiya dan

just got back and took my laptop with me lol worked fine but very slow downloading pics lol :arghh: i think if you buy a sony or dell there warranty covers you in oz but check first. was going to get one but ended up just getting this cheap one for now and once over there get a better one as if does go wrong then at least cover there.........

julie :wubclub:

Guest Emmawalker

Hiya,

I bought laptop 2 weeks before I left the Uk to make use of the tax exemption (if you purchase a product in the uk then move outside the eu for atleast 12 months you can claim back the vat). It meant I was able to spend a little more and get a better laptop.

If I were you, i'd do an online price check for buying like for like- look on aussie websites and uk websites. Once you've found a laptop you want, if its in the uk I'd then check with the manufacturer re the warranty. I would also stress though that it'd be wise to look up the full info re claiming back the vat on the customs and excise website. There are some terms and conditions (must be bought in a shop etc) & I wouldn't want you to get caught out!

Happy shopping!

Emma

Guest The Birmingham Villains
Hi all...!

Thanks for your replies everyone!!!

They have been very helpful...!

I was thinking that we'd take advantage of the January sales + the credit crunch (thanks the andrews!) and buy a laptop soon, but now I'm worried about the warranty! Also, would all things bought in Oz work on a laptop bought in the U.K. - i.e. are the laptops the same no matter where you buy them???

Regards,

Dan xx

Hi Dan,

hope you are well. Both Kieran and myself have bought laptops since we arrived. We thought like others that if anything happened at least we were in the same country where we had bought them. There is not much difference in the prices. If you want an all singing and dancing one then you will pay top dollar for it but you can get a standard model that does the basics with a webcam for around $600 - 700.

I go by When in Rome

cheers

Kev

ps. keep onto your Dad, he will love it here

Guest WARDStoOZ

Thanks for all your replies everyone!

I didn't know you could claim back VAT! Will definatley keep that in mind!

Thanks Kev... sounds like you're doing just fine! Really wish my dad would see that he would love it in Oz...

Thanks for the help!

Regards,

Dan

Hi dan use google get a model in the uk and then search for the same model on the oz google but use a big company like dell,fujisu,sony

Like most things the models are different a lot of the time in UK they seem to be the european spec . Got a laptop in singapore comin over. Sony vaioio good price last month screen went and a big black stain on carpet think it bled to death. One thing that is cheaper software anti virus and office stuff. Cheaper in stores. Dell also retails here

Mally

Hi Dan,

hope you are well. Both Kieran and myself have bought laptops since we arrived. We thought like others that if anything happened at least we were in the same country where we had bought them. There is not much difference in the prices. If you want an all singing and dancing one then you will pay top dollar for it but you can get a standard model that does the basics with a webcam for around $600 - 700.

I go by When in Rome

cheers

Kev

ps. keep onto your Dad, he will love it here

In Rome did you buy an abacus then lol

Hi Dan,

We got a new laptop here before we go. Firstly it means that we can put all of the important stuff, websites, e-mail addresses, hubbys work files etc on it and take it with us when we go because our PC won't arrive for a while. Secondly it means that we can use it to keep our eldest daughter happy with Bob the Builder and other DVD's on the flight if the young kids entertainment isn't up to much and thirdly we thought we would get a better deal at the moment, so we could get a better laptop for the money.

Archived