does perth have specific rules to cats in their area

minlady

I have heard from somewhere that certain Australian states have certain rules when it comes to cats settling in their area... for instance i have heard that certain places do not allow cats out between dusk and dawn... i have also heard rumours that in Melbourne cats are not allowed out of their own garden and there is a fine if they do get out... can anyone throw any light on these rumours for me and if they are true...what does WA Perth have in terms of these cat rules... thanks x

Guest Gollywobbler

Hi minlady

My sister lives in a suburb called Jandakot, South of Fremantle. I happen to know that Jandakot is within the area of the City of Cockburn, so... Please see here:

http://www.cockburn.wa.gov.au/Council_Services/Environment/Cat_Ownership/?c=5

It appears that this particular Council does not have Cat Bye-Laws as such but Perth is large now and you would need to check with the Council in the district in which you want to live, I suspect.

Easy to say if you already live there and know which one is the local authority for your suburb etc. I don't know the names of any of the other Councils myself. However, if you browse the Cockburn website there are links to other Councils etc and you may be able to piece it together with the aid of a free on-line map.

I think if it were me I might start with a call to the cat chap at Cockburn, though. The code from the UK is 0061 8 and then dial the rest of the number as shown. The chap at Cockburn might know about the policies in other parts of Perth etc.

I hope that this, albeit limited, help is better than none at all. I've never heard my sister say anything about restrictions and I know she has a catflap. But then I am in the UK and we don't tend to chat about her cats.

I've heard that there are some places where you are only allowed a maximum of two cats as well as restrictions on letting them out, but I do have the impression that these rules depend on exactly where one is living.

Hope you manage to get to the bottom of this.

Best wishes

Gill

Guest CashNCarry

Hi minlady

.... I'm afraid all cats are to banned in Western Australia from this April.

In Melbourne cats are allowed out of their own garden but only if acompanied and there is a hefty fine if they aren't back before midnight.

In Perth after April you will be allowed to keep possums and wombats but all cats will have to relocated to Tasmania.

Good luck

Cash.

hi Gill

thanks for your reply...i shall look into this, thats a great help... i had heard of a chap in melborne who had a court fine for letting his cat in nextdoors garden and had to erect a mesh cover around his garden to stop his cat from getting out... we have 3 cats who love to wonder and will have serious doubts about taking them if we had to make them continual house cats, as i feel that would be unfair.. mind you it would break my heart if we had to leave them behind!!.. as yet we have no idea where we will settle in perth... we need to have a really good look around re schools and sports facilities etc... but that's a time off yet...

cheers

miranda

CashnCarry

I'm a bit worried now!! I have cats and we were planning on perth late next year as long as the visa etc was good. We will maybe re think if they are banning cats to Tasmania in april. Is the whole of Oz going this way do you know or is it just Perth? We were also looking at Brisbane and Adelaide. Are these any better? My cats are real homebodies and hate being outside when they can be lounging on somebodies bed...or a newspaper(I'll never understand why they do that!) so keeping them in wouldn't be too hard to manage at all.

PLEASE can somebody offer me some advice!!

Hays :cry:

Guest CashNCarry

Hi Miranda

The particular chap in Melbourne who you refer to was a gentleman by the name of Abraham De Lacy... and you’re right in thinking he had a court fine for letting his cat into his neighbours garden. The neighbour in question, Guiseppe Casey, took it all the way to Government House in Canberra.

Have you thought of Tasmania as your three 3 cats would love it there?

On the other hand, if they’re black cats then don’t worry, you’ll be fine in Perth as the WA Government has decreed that black cats will not be banned for good luck purposes.

Hi Hays

Don’t worry too much, either possums or wombats make great pets if you’re planning on Perth.

And…. it’ not the whole of Oz that is going this way, yes… Brisbane and Adelaide are both enforcing the ban later on in the year… but I believe that Darwin has voted to allow cats to be kept, as long as they remain indoors and are not ginger.

Good Luck to you both

Cash

:D

This sounds strange and slightly unbelievable...but have found everyone on this site to be helpful and friendly so i'm taking these 'comments' at face value....thou with a very hefty pinch of salt!!

I think i'll do some research for myself! :wink:

sam...shouldn't you be busy at work or something!!!!..... :wink: see you later at SL...take it your going?

and yes i think we are being wound up... well done CC... but hey... 2 of mine are black so we are ok....

but seriously... if anyone is aware of particular issues re keeping cats - please advise!

thanks

Guest thomas omalley

I've got that Wanderlust, Gotta walk the scene

Gotta kick up some Perth dust, Feel the grass that's green

Gotta strut them city streets, Showin' off my eclat, yeah

Tellin' my friends and Hays, and the Nedlands social elite

Or some cute Minlady that I just might happen to meet....

...I'm Abraham deLacy, Giuseppe Casey

Thomas O'Malley.... O'Malley, the alley cat!

:twisted:

hi sue

i was actually pleasently surprised by the quote i got from a company called Golden Arrow Shippers.. based in Shropshire..Tel: 01 588 680 240.

they do everything and the cost is all inclusive except for fees in Oz for the kennels..... give them a ring you might be surprised

miranda

Hi Miranda thanks for that but we've already made the painful decision not to take them. They're over 16 and I supsect with the weight loss they have both ahd over tha last few months and increased thirst that they are in the early stages of renal failure. I'm hoping that if they are still alive, I know that sounds brutal, that my parents will have them when we go.

hi sue... arh that's sad...but haven't they done well... my eldest is 8 a long haired moggy, then we have a 2yr old reject pedigree bengal who is black - hence the reject and a proper pedegree bengal who will be 2 in july... she was rescued from a breeder and now enjoys the outdoor life...but has just had a kitten... she was pregnant when we liberated her...

anyway, may i wish you all the best in your travel plans

miranda

Guest Rachel&Stu

Just a thought Sue, sorry for butting in...

Your cats may be diabetic with increased thirst and weight loss. Although I appreciate you've decided not to take them (we've got 3 cats and no way are they sitting in a crate for 24 hours), diabetes is treatable in the meantime to make them more comfortable.

Cheers,

Rachel

Rachel I had thought they may be diabetic, so no, you weren't butting in but thanks for you thoughts. At the moment they are very happy eating well and being as annoying as usual! I'm a nurse so giving them insulin wasn't an issue it's more their quality of life and at the moment they are happy as pigs in s***!

Archived