The Pom Queen

Brisbane Declared Natural Disaster Area after storms

Hope none of our members are affected by this:wideeyed:

BRISBANE has been declared a natural disaster area, as soldiers help repair damage caused by one of the biggest storms to hit the city in two decades.

More than 32,000 properties across Brisbane, Redcliffe and the Gold Coast were without power this afternoon after yesterday's storm brought hail and wind gusts of up to 130km/h, ripped roofs from houses and toppled power lines and trees.

While most areas received 40mm to 60mm of rain, Ferny Hills in the northwest suburbs of Brisbane received 80mm, 69mm of which fell in 30 minutes yesterday afternoon.

A 20-year-old man was killed when he was swept away by quickly rising water while photographing the storm in a drain with a 23-year-old friend at Chermside, in Brisbane's northern suburbs.

Premier Anna Bligh compared the disaster to Cyclone Larry, which devastated north Queensland in 2006.

Acting Prime Minister Julia Gillard activated natural disaster relief and recovery arrangements, including the deployment of 40 soldiers, and pledged to cover half of the State Government's clean-up costs.

"The Government's thoughts are with the thousands of families that have been caught up in this disaster and most particularly with the family of the young man who tragically lost his life," Ms Gillard said.

Lord Mayor Campbell Newman said 1200 people, including emergency services personnel, Energex staff, Queensland police and the army, were working on the clean-up.

"Nothing like this has happened to the city for at least 10 years," he said.

"Perhaps it goes back to 1985 with a very big storm back in those days."

He said Energex had recorded 576 cases of toppled powerlines.

Some homes are expected to remain without power until tomorrow.

The city council has warned residents in western Brisbane to boil their water or buy bottled water after a bird dropping-coated roof collapsed into a reservoir at The Gap - the worst-hit area of the city.

Transport services are expected to remain disrupted into tomorow and traffic lights are out at many intersections.

Ms Bligh said families severely affected by the storm were eligible for cash assistance of up to $765 and individuals could claim $165.

"These are just the immediate cash payments for people who have literally got nothing, for people who need to buy food for their children or buy clothes," she said.

Ms Bligh said some people would not be able to return home for weeks.

Police patrols are being boosted to deter looters.

Ms Bligh said up to 4000 insurance claims had already been made, but this would grow.

She also warned more storms were expected to hit southeast Queensland on Thursday.

If you are depressed you are living in the past. If you are anxious you are living in the future. If you are at peace you are living in the present.

Guest harrison family

OH DEAR ! Hope all you PIO is okay !

Guest __TJ__

did it get as far as winnum? we have family there

Guest JoanneHattersley

The storm caught all of SE QLD. We are in Brissies western suburbs and we got hammered with the rain, hail, thunder , lightening and wind. It certainly was the worst storm I have ever seen. We (mum and me) were watching the clouds roll in and it looked awful!

Had a few branches down round here, power outtages, especially at my nursing home!! We had about 5 hours of no power yesterday in total!

Guest massagh

Hi

Just reading the first post about what some people have lost not to mention the damage to their homes. I know that it is bad enough that it happens at all, but with it being so close to Christmas, to me it would just make it even more difficult.

Also I am not sure how much impact the dreaded "Credit Crunch" has had on this area, either way my heart really goes out to everybody affected.

God Bless.

Sharon

The storm caught all of SE QLD. We are in Brissies western suburbs and we got hammered with the rain, hail, thunder , lightening and wind. It certainly was the worst storm I have ever seen. We (mum and me) were watching the clouds roll in and it looked awful!

Had a few branches down round here, power outtages, especially at my nursing home!! We had about 5 hours of no power yesterday in total!

Glad that your all safe there Jo, it must have been a frightening experience.

If you are depressed you are living in the past. If you are anxious you are living in the future. If you are at peace you are living in the present.

Guest JoanneHattersley

Slightly mad! Dad had just put his head down for an "afternoon kip!" when all hell broke loose!

Slightly mad! Dad had just put his head down for an "afternoon kip!" when all hell broke loose!

They must have brought the UK weather with them:biglaugh:

Guest sheena

west brisbane was fine!! normal thunder storm, nothing to write home about really!

feel sorry for the ones that had the "real" storm!

sheena :wubclub:

Guest angiebabe

Wow... There are some fantastic photos on there Tim!

we only caught the outskirts of it here,luckily ! i do feel sorry for the familys who's homes are trashed. Suncorp insurance have drafted extra staff in and extended opening hours and the goverment are on hand with grants so hopefully the people affected can try to get back to normal soon.

Cal x

If you don't go after what you want, you'll never have it. If you don't ask, the answer is always no. If you don't step forward, you're always in the same place...

If you get a chance,take it, If it changes your life,let it. Nobody said it would be easy they just said it would be worth it...

Pommie pauls the expert he`s the PIO official storm chaser

Mally

Here at last:jiggy:

SUFC life not a pastime

I limit myself to 2 drinks a day, I`m now 10 years in front make that 15

Guest angiebabe

Wonder if he has any pics for us?:huh:

(of the storm!)

There are quite alot of photos on the courier mail website ,click queensland at the top of the home page and then gallery.

Cal x

If you don't go after what you want, you'll never have it. If you don't ask, the answer is always no. If you don't step forward, you're always in the same place...

If you get a chance,take it, If it changes your life,let it. Nobody said it would be easy they just said it would be worth it...

Guest ellie2

It was really scary, We are in Burpengary where there was a train derailed and lots of trees down, we were without power for 15 hours, and just up the road in Morayfield they recorded over 100ml rain. Our 22,000 litre rain tank is now full to the brim, with even more storms forcast for later in the week.

Christine