ENGLISH KIDS IN OZ

Guest london cabbie

Guest london cabbie

Hi.

We will be moving to australia as soon as we can,we will be bringing with us our 13 year old son who will prob be 14 by the time we get there.

I have heard many stories of how cool it is in oz and the fabulous life style we can look forward to and how our son will love it.

But what is it like for you as kids in oz?

What are the schools really like for you as english kids?

Is there bullying cos you are english if so how is it dealt with?

Is life in the suburbs boring or is there plenty to do?

Are there places to hang out etc and do you hang out with mainly english kids?

What about the music you were into in england can you buy it/listen to it?

Are there "hoodie type"gangs that give you a hard time?

Is the school work as hard or harder(are you challenged at school).?

Are the australian kids as cool or cooler than english kids?

I know you prob all miss your mates ,do you spend all you time on the computer catching up with them?.

I dont know, there are a million things i could ask you but if you could just answer a few of these questions it would really help.

Many Thanks :D

:D Hi, We are in New South Wales and my youngest daughter is 13 - she has settled well into school and most of the kids love her accent & call her pommi chick (which is suppose to be a compliment so im told)Nikki has plenty of friends here and seems to fit in ok - she has a friend at school from South Africa (white) and she has been there for 18months and has alot of problems with kids picking on her.In general the schools do not put up with bullying and i have been lucky that Nikki (my 13year old) has not had this problem.Nikki is also finding the school work easy and so it may be they there curriculum is behind the uk at this age.

Nikki dosent hang out with english kids most of her mates are aussies and they dont tend to hang around the streets at this age (parents seem quite strict on this here) but the older ones do hang out mostly by the beach in the evenings - i have not spotted any hoodie type gangs as yet probably becuase its too warm for hoodies !!! in general yep the kids do get into trouble and the rules are strict about alcohol on the beach and kids trying to get into the aussie pubs etc. Nikki has brought several cds since we have been here (7 months) simialr to the now type cds and the music here seems to be slightly behind - we keep an eye on the uk charts and oz charts online and most of the oz number ones have already been no 1 in the uk and on the way out. I woudnt say that the kids here are any better or different to the uk kids some fat thin,ugly,pretty,much the same as kids back home and no cooler perhaps if anything a little behind (as the internet mobile phones,tv,charts and fashion) are all well behind the uk.

Nikki spends alot of time on the internet catching up with her mates via skype,msn,bebo etc and we are either 9 or 11 hours difference to the uk so most is done at the weekends. Theres plenty for the kids to do during the evenings and weekends mostly the beach & surfing.

I hope this helps a bit for you any other questions feel free to ask and good luck with your move.

Gizmo hit it on the head really ,the only other thing ive found is the kids seem so well behaved out of school ,im surprised how many teens are willing to play cricket or soccer with my 8yr old!!,regarding the hanging on street corners bit, i think its because they havnt had to deal with crime like we have a few of my neighbours have kids older than mine but they arent allowed to play out because a boy was abducted a few years ago north of brisbane,it seems to stick in their minds more because its such a rareity.the kids will get called pommys, like we do ,it isnt an insult its just a phrase they use,as long as your kids know this they will be ok.

Cal x

• 1 month later...
Guest cosworth123

hi every one,

Im josh im 16 , 17 in september i did live in maldon essex we are now homeless as we have sold our house and all done .I am now in singpore on our 7 day stop got 3 days left and then to australia we have finaly emergrated took ages but it will be worth it in the end i have droped out of school here early as i didnt think it was worht stayin on as we had to go before my gcse so wasnt worth staying there to annoy the teachers any more lol i was wondering if any one knows how school is out there what are the kids like i heard that there is a program called taf some further education . i dont no what to do , do i just go to work ???? or get grades . but i have come on this site hopefully make some freinds as i would like to be able to relate to some english people feel more comftable i surpose i am moving to melbourne victoria either in the dandenong region berwick that sort of way is any one in this area or even if you are an hour away would be good to meet some one Boy or Girl to see how you got on my interests are 1,fast cars 2, i raced quads in the uk 3,motocross anything for an agrenerlin buzz really like my dad father like son lol i regurlary go to the gym i also like football, girls,music, IM NOT a CHAV i hate that word OR a GOTH im just an ordinary guy funny like to have a lauf and jke and drink n shop not that i have got anything against you guysn girls chavs n goths well i dont no what else to say hope some 1 replys asap add me on msn josh_cossie@hotmail.com . josh newman

Uads and moto x????? get over here mate ,my son and hubby will gladly make friends !!! we sold our quads and bikes to come here ,hubby has bought another road bike and Zak has a klx 110,,we are making a small track out back of our house so wont have far to travel and play .You will make loads of friends when you get here ,everyone is really friendly,all the younger drivers ''hoons'' as they are called here seemed to like burnouts ,,we listened to one guy on the school carpark for 30min last night ,,new tyres for him me thinks ,,anyway if your mum n dad are pssing this way ,,call in for a quick blast around

Cal x

Guest cosworth123
Uads and moto x????? get over here mate ,my son and hubby will gladly make friends !!! we sold our quads and bikes to come here ,hubby has bought another road bike and Zak has a klx 110,,we are making a small track out back of our house so wont have far to travel and play .You will make loads of friends when you get here ,everyone is really friendly,all the younger drivers ''hoons'' as they are called here seemed to like burnouts ,,we listened to one guy on the school carpark for 30min last night ,,new tyres for him me thinks ,,anyway if your mum n dad are pssing this way ,,call in for a quick blast around

Cal x

hi thanks for your reply mate would be great to cath up and ride we have exported our race yfz 450 quad i used to ride in intermediate class inthe uk where are you based and how old is your son also my dad rides to mum just shops lol ?? thanks josh

Hiya Zak is 8 goin on 18 ,,he's a good lad just abit advanced for his age ,he's been riding since he was 3 and getting better ,Gary had a ktm n cbr in the uk but has only got a cbr6 here ,,yet !! i used to ride pillion on the bike and had a small road reg quad but had a bad accident last year when i turned the quad over and nearly ended up spending my life out in a wheelchair ,so not been much action from me lately ,i'd probably be hitting the shops with ur mum ,or pre- booking all your A & E visits !!!! we are at the back of the gold coast hinterland ,south east from brisbane centre i think you'd class it has ,they are just campaigin for the big crosser track to re-open as it was shut a fewmonth ago ,,loads of people have bikes n quads around here so you wouldnt be on your own ,also kingston raceway is only 15min drive and i believe they have some pretty good events there but not had time to go ourselves yet ,,take care

Cal x

Guest HeywoodMonkey
the younger drivers ''hoons'' as they are called here seemed to like burnouts ,,we listened to one guy on the school carpark for 30min last night ,,new tyres for him me thinks

Cal x

I don't fancy moving halfway round the world to listen to that, we get that here with kids on Mini Moto's

Hi Cal

My OH, daughter and her boyfriend are obsessed with off road biking/enduro/motocross etc so are sooooo glad to hear what your're saying. They currently have KTM's but will be selling them before coming over and buying out there. Do you recommend that or should they maybe bring them instead? We are planning on moving to the Gold Coast by Jan 08 and need to be based somewhere near enough for one to go to Griffith Uni campus at Southport, one to go to dance school ADPI at Burleigh Heads and finally one at one of the Brissie TAFE campuses. Hopefully coming over again in Nov to sort that out (and if l get my way, not going back hehehe). l'm not too keen on the hoons either but as long as its within the law l say each to their own within reason. l love watching racing but essentially l am a 'widow' in the department but in oz at least l can hit the beach :biggrin:

Lyn x

Guest cosworth123

lamo mum calls her self a widow because of going racign all the time but the dad stoped going and i was being taken to events by other people we are moving to melb, vic. with shipping the bikes out you have to weigh it up us the crate for dads to go int he container was an extra £600 it depends how long you had the bikes and if there higly modified i sold my race yfz 450 so i can now become a hoon but i will race dads yfz 450 but i ahve noticed that mx bikes are cheaper then in the uk i due to there is mor eof them i surpose and mor epeople have them as there is more land to use them on and tracks but it is personal choice really if you want to take you r bike if your good on it and comftable riding the biek i would keep it as no bike bike rides the same as your own i would sell them for the excuse to get a brand new 1 lol

The hoons arent much of a problem maybe just at weekends sometimes but the police are pretty good at stopping them ,,

Lyn,, personally i dont think its worth bringing your bikes unless its an 'heirloom'' ,they arent badly priced here ,,have alook at ebay for a rough guide.My hubby works in Soutport it takes about 30min on his bike from here,thats near on sticking to the speed limit as mr pc plod is always about with his glorious gun !!!If you look at areas back from surfers and nerang you will stumble across some good biking areas ,not too built up so ok to ride with winging neighbours (you still get em here,even thou their tractors noiser than any bike),,searching areas is a minefield good luck,,

cal x

Cosworth ,i like the pics that looks like a fun toy !!!! one i could do more damage on no doubt..

Guest cosworth123

yea she can be a bit dangerous at times escpesially when you 15 ft in the air lol treat it with respect and you will be fine lol does around 100 mph but not possible on a mx track was shame to sell it but still gots dads one dads is road legal and rides ont here roads here in the uk hes is as wide as a car lol same quad as mine just widened for stabilty he hopes to make it road legal in ays bout we doubt it will be possible ???? we only spent 30 hours cleaning it as they wouldnt let it in the country with one bit of dirt on we had to acid wash it and everythign so thats another thoguht for bringing your bikes over if there is one bit of mud or dirt on it they will charge you rediculoous money to clean it eg you have to take engine out n everything to make it spotless talks soon off out !!!!!

Guest koala12

Hi, I moved here from Newbury Park so not far from you! What part of Oz are you planning on settling in? My kids are older than school age but I have to say that the kids I have come across here are very polite and well mannered!!!!

• 4 years later...
Guest chloe1999

hi im chloe and im 12 nearly 13, i just moved to caslte hills in NSW and i have no friends, wich seems kind of stupid thing to say really, but english kids are deffinitely cooler then aussie kids!! :D and yes im pretty much always on the computer catchin up with my mates bk home but its really hard to get the time differences, unless you have truly devoted friends that will stay up until 12 at night to talk then its very hard to keep in touch, there are other means of keeping in contact too like skype where you can video chat your friends hope this info comes in handy! hope i can make friends thanks xx

• 4 weeks later...
Guest Genrol

I've lived in (western) Sydney my whole life. But don't worry, you won't get bullied by other (white) Aussies, other then banter about sports :P Just take it as a joke, we mean no offence. One think you must learn is Aussies laugh at everyone's expense, even our own, so if you get a little beef coming your way, take no offence and throw a little joke back at the Aussies and they'll love you all the more (unless they are obviously straight-up bullies, in which case fight them :P )

Guest Princessoftheworld20

Dear London Cabbie,

I have just moved from London to Oz with my family and at first I thought there was going to be bullying. but to be honest there is hardly any bullying in Oz because everyone is so chilled and layed back.

Dear London Cabbie,

I have just moved from London to Oz with my family and at first I thought there was going to be bullying. but to be honest there is hardly any bullying in Oz because everyone is so chilled and layed back.

I think that rather depends on where you are. Bullying is endemic in Aussie schools - I would think there are very few schools where it isnt a problem of some size. My niece was just telling me of an English lad who has come to board at her school because the local school he attended first was a bullying nightmare for him (rural Vic). Poor lad was petite, quiet, studious and English and was not a good fit for the local redneck/hoon population so his family are having to fork out not just for a private school but for a private boarding school. In my experience year 9 girls are the worst because they have cyber bullying down to a fine art.

Archived