Guest BigPants

Electronic Security Industry

Guest BigPants

Hi All,

We are delighted to have just received our visas (PR sub class 175). However, like many I guess, are waiting on the sale of our house; letting it is the likely outcome.

I am security technician (CCTV & Access) and would welcome feedback from anyone in the industry, particularly from Perth or Melbourne. (We are pretty much open minded on our destination at the moment). I am interested to find out the practicalities of obtaining the ACA open license.

Thanks very much.

Can't help you with the job front but wanted to say congratulations on the visas!!!!!

If you are depressed you are living in the past. If you are anxious you are living in the future. If you are at peace you are living in the present.

Guest JaneyD

What do you wanna know about work?? My hubby is a security tech so i can ask him any questions, we have been out here 5 years the only thing is we are in brissy so some things will probably vary from state to state

Guest JaneyD

hey bigpants, im janes husband. Any questions fire em this way mate. Ive been working in the electronic security business over here since ive been here and was doing the same in the UK.

What you been workin on over there??

Things are a bit different over here no fused spurs or anything.

ACMA (ACA as was) is relatively easy to get. Its a week long course and costs about $800. Then depending on where you end up living you will have to get a security licence for that state.

Queensland have just bought security licencing in this year (they were the last to do it). Gets quite expensive to if you run your own business.

Guest BigPants

Hi Jane's husband!

Thanks for the info'.

I am a CCTV & Access service tech',(10+ years) working on larger scale systems along with a bit of intruder mainly on integrated systems. So, I will be looking for work in the commercial sector. I would appreciate any feedback on working in Brisbane.

Having looked on various websites I was beginning to form the idea that you must have the cabling license to get a job but you couldn't get on a course if you were not employed in the industry!

I guess this isn't exactly the case. Also I'd appreciate some info on getting the security license.

Cheers

Guest Beeman

Thought i'd best register instead of using the wifes account so here i am.

Security licences depend on which state you are going to live.

Cablers licencing is generic to every state. As far as that goes its a crappy really because no-one will employ you until you have it.

I'll have a look and see what i can dig out for you. What state you looking at living in

Hi beeman and big pants,

I am just starting the process, in the same game as you guys, been in it for over 20 yrs.

If I could pick your brains I would much appreciate.

Did you use tra or vetases?

What trade did you go under?

What's it like working over there in this trade with the weather etc?

Got any jobs going...

Would appreciate any info.

Thanks

Guest winjella

hi big pants,

im in similar situation, am a security technician with 10yrs experience. Just wondering what trade did you go under when applying for visa. Is it the electronics trades person or something else? got so baffled about it that i got the 1 year working holiday visa instead! so am hoping to go out early next year and get sponsorship out there. ideally would have preferred to have gone for the permanent visa but hey!

I noticed you can do your theory for your opening cabling licence on line and do practical exam on arrival. might make it a bit quicker for you, have a look at http://www.conquest.com.au .

best of luck with everything

Guest dirty130

Hey mate the ACA license is the easy bit! Getting a VIC security is the hard part. Search Conquest ACA on google they do an online ACA license for $500 took me a month after work. The Vic security license requires you to know some one high end for over 12months to certify your docs and do you a character reference. Hope this helps