Poms Going Home to UK (register)

Guest Aldo

Emigrated to Brisbane June 1989 on permanent resident visa. Hated it.

Christmas 1989 in UK - so hard to get on that plane back to Oz.

After a couple of years settled in and loved it for years.

Returned UK May 1998. Poured over any coffee table books of the UK I could find. Desperately homesick and miserable. The photos on this thread of Dartmouth and Cotswold ? cootages remind me of how I felt sitting in Brisbane desperate to be 'home'.

When we arrived home it might as well have been Russia at first! On the drive home (a route I had done many, many times) I didn't remember anything. Scary! I cried with joy over everything English. Especially driving through the Wiltshire landscape. When we moved to Somerset I was so happy. But within months I found I just didn't fit in and ever since I have felt like a jigsaw piece in the wrong jigsaw. For a couple of years I was just glad to be back, but last year my 20 yr old, homesick for Brisbane went back on her own.

March 2008 I took my Aussie born youngest to Bris for a month. And it was so weird. Unlike when we returned to UK and everything was unfamiliar, as soon as we arrived it was like we had never been away - yet we had been away longer. It felt like home. Catching up with friends was magic. I felt more connected with them than anyone I know here. I knew I needed to go back.

I guess what I'm trying to say is that for a lot of us there is a lot of confusion and heartbreak with emigration. It's complicated and there are no easy answers.

Good luck to everyone struggling with what to do and where to be,

blessings, Deb

• Replies 793
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest TheBrowningFamily

Arrived in Oz 1/2/08

Arrived HOME 1/7/2008

Regrets....niether in either direction...but it feels damn good to be back where we belong, with a smug satisfaction that we are in the nicest place in the whole world with people we care about (well, nicest for us anyway!!)

Guest kevin747
Arrived in Oz 1/2/08

Arrived HOME 1/7/2008

Regrets....niether in either direction...but it feels damn good to be back where we belong, with a smug satisfaction that we are in the nicest place in the whole world with people we care about (well, nicest for us anyway!!)

Nice one! Fair play.

Guest earlswood
Arrived in Oz 1/2/08

Arrived HOME 1/7/2008

At least you tried gal/

Guest 0405delboy

I've lived here a long time and I've had my moments of wondering if God was punishing me by sending me here. I've never met any other Poms here and back in the early eighties, I felt like I must have been the only one here. There is no denying that it is very hard. Now I'm grown up and have two kids and its still no easier. Truth be told I'd rather have gone back to London whilst I was young and free. By the way I was a kid when I came here and so the choice wasn't really mine. Bottom line is, I miss the people more than anything and really good laugh hence my presence at a website like this!

It's comforting to know that I'm not the only one who felt out of place. Cheers!:radar:

Guest itskaren
To be fair the health service in the whole of the UK is good, went into the Alexander hospital in redditch to visit a relative last month and it is spotless and modern with fresh flowers everywher and far better than what I witnessed in oz...he said even the food was good.:nerdxmas:

I agree. There is nothing on earth like the health care in england the NHS. Best health care system in the world much better than Australia. You don't know what you have until it is gone.:confusedxmas:

Guest JoanneHattersley

I disagree about Health Care in Australia. Yeah I know that it isnt perfect but neither is the NHS. The NHS failed my Nanna sending her home with a UTI and a hernia only for her to pass away from ovarian cancer!!!

There are many examples that I can think of!!

Over here I have experienced private and public health care both personally & through my job as an RN and I have found it very good here.

Guest earlswood
I disagree about Health Care in Australia. Yeah I know that it isnt perfect but neither is the NHS. The NHS failed my Nanna sending her home with a UTI and a hernia only for her to pass away from ovarian cancer!!!

There are many examples that I can think of!!

Over here I have experienced private and public health care both personally & through my job as an RN and I have found it very good here.

We can only say what we have witnessed Johatts, for me the NHS is far better than the australian system, but mine was a bad experience in Oz.

Emigrated to Brisbane June 1989 on permanent resident visa. Hated it.

Christmas 1989 in UK - so hard to get on that plane back to Oz.

After a couple of years settled in and loved it for years.

Returned UK May 1998. Poured over any coffee table books of the UK I could find. Desperately homesick and miserable. The photos on this thread of Dartmouth and Cotswold ? cootages remind me of how I felt sitting in Brisbane desperate to be 'home'.

When we arrived home it might as well have been Russia at first! On the drive home (a route I had done many, many times) I didn't remember anything. Scary! I cried with joy over everything English. Especially driving through the Wiltshire landscape. When we moved to Somerset I was so happy. But within months I found I just didn't fit in and ever since I have felt like a jigsaw piece in the wrong jigsaw. For a couple of years I was just glad to be back, but last year my 20 yr old, homesick for Brisbane went back on her own.

March 2008 I took my Aussie born youngest to Bris for a month. And it was so weird. Unlike when we returned to UK and everything was unfamiliar, as soon as we arrived it was like we had never been away - yet we had been away longer. It felt like home. Catching up with friends was magic. I felt more connected with them than anyone I know here. I knew I needed to go back.

I guess what I'm trying to say is that for a lot of us there is a lot of confusion and heartbreak with emigration. It's complicated and there are no easy answers.

Good luck to everyone struggling with what to do and where to be,

blessings, Deb

Migrating is difficult and we do lose connections along the way and wonder who we are sometimes. I relate to people feeling like they do not belong felt it for a long time. However I have found its not the place I am in its me that makes my happiness and how I respond to others whoever they are. So now I am content with my lot and once the commitment to contentment is made life becomes so much better. Scenery, furniture, cars, all that stuff are inanimate objects, its the people around me day to day that make my life.

:emoticon-signxmas:

• 3 weeks later...
Guest treesea
I've lived here a long time and I've had my moments of wondering if God was punishing me by sending me here. I've never met any other Poms here and back in the early eighties, I felt like I must have been the only one here. There is no denying that it is very hard. Now I'm grown up and have two kids and its still no easier. Truth be told I'd rather have gone back to London whilst I was young and free. By the way I was a kid when I came here and so the choice wasn't really mine. Bottom line is, I miss the people more than anything and really good laugh hence my presence at a website like this!

It's comforting to know that I'm not the only one who felt out of place. Cheers!:radar:

I also emigrated when I was a kid, so not my choice to go, and I am so glad I have come home - with children in tow. Though not to London, also my hometown. We live in Scotland but were down in south east England last weekend,- I couldn't live day to day in that kind of crush and concentration of people.

Guest 0405delboy
I also emigrated when I was a kid, so not my choice to go, and I am so glad I have come home - with children in tow. Though not to London, also my hometown. We live in Scotland but were down in south east England last weekend,- I couldn't live day to day in that kind of crush and concentration of people.

Hello Treesea,

Interesting thread isnt it? I love Scotland - have spent time in Dumbarton and to sit in your front room and see the remains of a castle off in the distance really is magical. My Mum finally went back to London and I envy her. Thats the heartache of emigration - you end up being split in two. I've lived in little old Adelaide so long I couldnt handle the thought of bumping up against people on the train and in the street not to mention all the uptight 'what you lookin at?' sorts. I was at the Royal Adelaide Show late last year and the crowds drove me stir crazy and I was very claustrophobic - imagine what London would do to me now!! On top of that I'm a lot more chilled out these days. Adelaide does it to ya. To be honest I think part of my brain has died but I remember how switched on I was in London. There was always something going on and somewhere to be. I was hardly ever home. Well things couldnt be more diferent now but mustnt grumble!! I do envy people who've come here cashed up to the eyeballs with the option of bailing at anytime but they really are the lucky ones.

Happy new year to all in the Treesea clan!:wink:

Guest tlander56

In regard to the healthcare debate....From working as both an RN, and Midwife I can tell you horrific stories from the NHS, Australian system, US system and arabic system...that's healthcare....

Guest timo66

just wanted to say i moved out here in 1998 and only lasted 2 years,i missed my family and friends so much and ofcourse watching my beloved spurs (i know i am sad).I was so excited about going home but after 6 months of living in london again i knew i had made a big mistake,it was expensive,dirty,grey and everyone was so bloody miserable.I came back to aus with my wife + kids and live in a country town where i picked up a job i luv doing and i am building a new 4 bed house for $320.000.My kids luv going to school here and they are always outside doing things all year round.one more thing everybody talks to you here and most people have a smile on there face. i hope i have not knocked england to much because i still love the place but for a young family australia is a better place to be.

Guest earlswood
just wanted to say i moved out here in 1998 and only lasted 2 years,i missed my family and friends so much and ofcourse watching my beloved spurs (i know i am sad).I was so excited about going home but after 6 months of living in london again i knew i had made a big mistake,it was expensive,dirty,grey and everyone was so bloody miserable.I came back to aus with my wife + kids and live in a country town where i picked up a job i luv doing and i am building a new 4 bed house for $320.000.My kids luv going to school here and they are always outside doing things all year round.one more thing everybody talks to you here and most people have a smile on there face. i hope i have not knocked england to much because i still love the place but for a young family australia is a better place to be.

For some yes for others no........if you are a good parent your kids will have a great life in either Country, I went camping t mountain climbing canoing and just spent every second as a kid having an adventure....you can have a great life in either Country.

• 4 weeks later...
Hope nobody minds me posting on this thread as I'm leaving the UK not returning but felt I had to comment. The pictures on this thread have reminded me that the UK has indeed got some spectacular sights and scenery just as beautiful as Oz or anywhere for that matter. There are some truly gorgeous little villages in all parts of the UK, many not far from me. I think we tend to forget or take for granted what the UK has to offer and thats normal when wanting to leave....we take what we have for granted. I think it's easier to be happy with the UK if you're lucky enough to live in one of these areas though and one thing Oz seems to offer is the opportunity to live in a scenic area/beautiful city whatever your financial position? Maybe I'm wrong, I don't know yet...

My family will definitely miss our annual holiday to Pembrokeshire, my very favourite part of the UK and if we do ever return we will look at moving there. But I wish all returners well and hope you'll all be very happy back in good old Blighty. xx

Thats so true Fiona - we've been in Oz for 4 months and are loving it, but of course there are some bits we miss about the UK... I don't understand why people have a go at others for returning to the UK, it's a free world and everybody should do what makes them happy :-)

Guest becky1973

I am another one heading out of the UK and can't wait, but i think its good to have this thread!

I know its hard explaining why you have come home and some people make you feel like you have failed but you have not, you have had the Guts to try a new life and decided it was not for you!

Good Luck

Guest leannegrace

I just wondered what the main reason for people going home to the UK is? I am currently deciding what is best for my family... staying in the UK or a move to Oz. I am interested in hearing both sides, it may help with my decision.

I just wondered what the main reason for people going home to the UK is? I am currently deciding what is best for my family... staying in the UK or a move to Oz. I am interested in hearing both sides, it may help with my decision.

You've come to the right place. I suggest you take time to read the positives and negatives on moving to aus'. Chances are you will love it and spend the rest of your life there. Some get trapped and have to stay for family or financial reasons.Other like me don't like it and get out.

Good luck with whatever you decide.

Guest earlswood

Try it and you have a good chance of luvvin it, as it is a good country....if you do not like it you can always come back to another good country...:radar:

Guest lovediving
Try it and you have a good chance of luvvin it, as it is a good country....if you do not like it you can always come back to another good country...:radar:

does anyone have an opinion on Wellington, potential job offer any advice would be appreciated.

does anyone have an opinion on Wellington, potential job offer any advice would be appreciated.

Well, i hate to be al ME ME ME ME .......as im told.....but......

I lived there for 2 years....was a beautiful city....clean, friendly...

Feels more like a big town rather than a city....

I would say go.....its truly great!....although, its much more expensive tha Aus...

(i take it you mean in NZ?!)

Guest lovediving
Well, i hate to be al ME ME ME ME .......as im told.....but......

I lived there for 2 years....was a beautiful city....clean, friendly...

Feels more like a big town rather than a city....

I would say go.....its truly great!....although, its much more expensive tha Aus...

(i take it you mean in NZ?!)

Thanks for this, can you confirm what is more expensive in Wellington ?

regards

Guest MikeDawson

I'm off back to good old Blighty on the 28th of February 2009 , I have secured a job in Derbyshire ....I gave it nine years in Oz , I really gave it a go , I had to my wife is Australia (she is coming with me by the way along with our two kids)

I really found the Aussie media to be over the top jingoistic , all very silly with this childish " aussie aussie aussie " rubbish ...I'm even tired of hearing the word Aussie on TV, whats that all about , you don't get that in the UK...media saying Brits this and Brits that.

I tried to eat,drink, work and dress like the aussies but thats not enough , they expect you to turn into some flag waving over the top jingoistic moron.

I'm English and normally quietly proud of that , have to say I'm sick and tired of big mouth put down comments from Aussies about my fellow countrymen , can not wait to get away ....you see if you can be as rude to other nationalities , don't think so.

Guest MikeDawson

To add to that,

I believe the only way to be fully accepted as an Aussies is to be one,

that involves being scathing and rude to all English (British) people ...that I refuse to do.

I did meet a few aussies who were fairly civilsed and respectful towards the English ....but not enough to keep me here.

Archived