Poms Going Home to UK (register)

Guest Aldo

Just reading through this old thread and wondering how these people are doing.  Some might of ping ponged, some might have gone somewhere else..

Interesting to read back on these old posts now and them.

• Replies 793
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Stayed. Husband was acting like an utter @#$% kids were just too old to move to a 'foreign' country.

I miss England every. single. flipping. day - but I can't complain. I see the amazing and huge group of friends my son has from school and know that he would have been incredibly lonely in the UK. We'd already done a trial at a UK school and it was a disaster. Everyone my son's age smoked, drank heavily and seemed mostly bored. My daughters were 14 and found most girls their age already had sexual experience. 
Son has graduated, in a great job in the city and spends most weekends camping in the bush 4 x 4 with friends. Daughters about to finish uni with double degrees - science, so not exactly amazing job prospects, but one already has offers for PhD and the other one will probably do Masters. I have a job I love and am also doing my PhD - couldn't have done that back in the UK with the 3 year rule!  Marriage is done and dusted, and with the kids nearly independent, Im starting to get excited about the next phase of my life...and trips back to the UK. So life here is full and good, but remains somehow superficial. I only have to see a photo of a friend on a rippled flat British beach and I'm in tears.

still perth but its dire now, economic downturn has hit hard. one son here is a nitemare, suspect poss meths, he married with kids, near to losing job marriage home and mega debts. younger back in UK, says simply does not like oz, fair enough his choice. no drugs smoking etc, has a job shortlisted for apprenticeship and a good solid bunch of pals.

personally I feeli existing here, its nice but now kids grown up its pretty so so, son here hardly see and will lie about the colour of the sky  has also i,m afraid to say ripped me off where had it been anybody else the police would be involved.

sold my uk house last year, luckily pulled out due to brexit as pound bombed, house now worth lots more and good rental as booming back there.

no surprises when i say i moving back july for good, already tapped up re jobs and back to reality and cannot wait. nothing wrong with oz, just not for me. looking forward to the short breaks in europe.  lifes good, lucky to have the choice

We have been back in the UK for 6 years, but after a recent visit to the gold coast catching up with friends and work colleagues, I have made the decision to return to oz, bored of the UK now in true ping pong style, to be fair I was dragged back to the uk ?

i am still here,  same story, need to stay to support daughter who cant leave Aus due to Family court, as she would have to leave the kids behind. Hate the place with a passion. Retired now and yes do volunteer work and do love that, but I miss the history, culture ,and diversity of the UK. 

Guest The Pom Queen
2 hours ago, legoman said:

still perth but its dire now, economic downturn has hit hard. one son here is a nitemare, suspect poss meths, he married with kids, near to losing job marriage home and mega debts. younger back in UK, says simply does not like oz, fair enough his choice. no drugs smoking etc, has a job shortlisted for apprenticeship and a good solid bunch of pals.

personally I feeli existing here, its nice but now kids grown up its pretty so so, son here hardly see and will lie about the colour of the sky  has also i,m afraid to say ripped me off where had it been anybody else the police would be involved.

sold my uk house last year, luckily pulled out due to brexit as pound bombed, house now worth lots more and good rental as booming back there.

no surprises when i say i moving back july for good, already tapped up re jobs and back to reality and cannot wait. nothing wrong with oz, just not for me. looking forward to the short breaks in europe.  lifes good, lucky to have the choice

Sorry to hear that @legoman it sounds like you are having a bad time. One of my sons is very similar to yours but not on the drugs thankfully. He will steal from us rather than go out and work. He got engaged and then told her he didn't want her anymore, he sent her back up to Cairns and told her he needs to sleep around a bit to see if he really does love her, what the hell, and the silly girl just agrees with everything he says. 

'I think you need to switch him off Legoman, it's hard, I keep trying myself, but we can't change them or the way they are. Do what is right for you.

Good luck for the move back I'm sure your youngest will be happy to have you close by.

Still in UK and its where I "belong" and I love it but having lost mum in January, dad is not looking too great at the moment so we are in a state of limbo waiting for him to pop off - I'm guessing it will be this year or next at a pinch. When we came almost 6 years ago we didn't think it would be this long - we are obviously great carers! But I've promised to return and even though I know I feel flat when I am back in Australia (just had a month back there) I will do my best to treat it as an adventure. DH will be prepared to travel more once we are back as we have grandkids on both sides now. I'm never bored by the rich variety of scenery, history, activities, etc, it's just awesome!

36 minutes ago, sharon h said:

Remember things change both in oz and the UK, nothing will stay as you remember it.

People change as well, what's right for one stage of life may not be right for the next. 

I do wonder where I will be in 5 years. Like Quoll came back to care for elderly mother but once she is no longer here I have no family ties in either country. 

Yes things change, and people change, but the culture, castles, historic site, ability to access these places with out hours and hours of travel remains the same. Climate remains the same, I actually miss the rain, and cold winters. I just find a great many people in Aus are quite agressive by nature, we are all different I know, 

38 minutes ago, sharon h said:

There are good and bad points about each country, you just have to do what makes you happy ?

My parents neighbours are Iragi Kurds they had to flee their country, they love my parents, treat them like their own, talk to them about Iraq and their family stuck there they cry, they love the UK, so we are very lucky in the choices we have

1 hour ago, The Pom Queen said:

Sorry to hear that @legoman it sounds like you are having a bad time. One of my sons is very similar to yours but not on the drugs thankfully. He will steal from us rather than go out and work. He got engaged and then told her he didn't want her anymore, he sent her back up to Cairns and told her he needs to sleep around a bit to see if he really does love her, what the hell, and the silly girl just agrees with everything he says. 

'I think you need to switch him off Legoman, it's hard, I keep trying myself, but we can't change them or the way they are. Do what is right for you.

Good luck for the move back I'm sure your youngest will be happy to have you close by.

my son used my bank card thankfully a mere 120 float but he would have cleared it the had e-mail re my credit score , he applied for loan and cc in my name, then said to bring more money from uk using his account as mine must be hacked, would have cleaned me out. I love both countries financially i am far better off in uk, but all this makes it very difficult 

Moved back to Scotland exactly 4 years ago.  It took a bit of organising with mortgages, etc and my husband came back 6 months later as planned. It was a stressful process but  it's been a great move for us.  I was the one that wanted to move back most.  I had two babies and felt really isolated and missed my folks, never really suffered with homesickness prior to that.  My kids love seeing their grandparents most days, we live in a lovely village and job wise it has worked out really well for my husband.  We can also travel down south to visit his family 3 or 4 times a year.  We both miss Oz at times, especially in February when you think you'll never see the sun again :).  All in all, it was the right thing for us as a family, everyone's situation is different.  I don't envisage myself ever moving back to Oz but you never say never.

Well we have been back in UK for 7 years and it has been a really interesting time where we have loved being home but also love everything that our time in Oz gave us. Kids re-integrated at different rates - older two at uni so loved it, younger was teased for Aussie accent but soon managed to get her "Chav on" and fit back in. All have done really well academically and professionally but we have experienced the same problems here with them as we would have in Oz. Work wise we are in a much better position here - took two years to be able to get a mortgage because of being self-employed but bought a run down bungalow and built a very Australian style house that looks completely different in our neighbourhood. We have been back to Aus three times since being home and love going back to see friends and enjoy being back in our second home. We have also met all our Aussie friends in Thailand for a group catch up and the ladies have all been over to stay with us and do the Chelsea show and a UK tour. We have also hosted all of their kids when they come to UK - so every year we have seen or been visited by our dear Aussie/Kiwi friends. As our kids have got older and become adults we have much more freedom to travel as we like - and we get away every time we can whether that's a week in Italy or BnB in France  - we seem to meet Aussies wherever we go. We have buried too many of our family members in the last 7 years and helped elderly parents through really difficult illnesses - can't imagine how that would have been had we stayed - horrendous. I have developed a really successful business and DH now looking for semi retirement from NHS - we are thinking of having a grey gap year in Sydney to go back and enjoy the city without any pressure of it being for good. We gave up comparing - there's good and bad in both - the distance from UK is the main problem. If Spain was Australia we'd all live there!

I got very very close to " living the dream " ..

6 months in each .

with a bit of help oz side ,it was a probability .

now iam here in the u.k looking after mom ,mortgage free ....good money for what I do ...but I have a lot of responsibility heaped on my shoulders,that in an ideal world,would

be shared.

but hey ho that's life ....outside of my immediate family and friends ,I really couldn't give a monkeys .

nothing gets in my way now ....

living the reality.....

Hi ALL

Good to hear from you on this thread....especially you Quoll :) 

I'm still in Spain and loving it...........just feel blessed that I have the option to live here OR OZ

Parts from OZ I miss......especially my Friends......but we have managed to have a reunion in Europe every year since I left!!

Bonus

I just love the Europe Gateway so to speak BUT as people say........Never Say Never

Just feel lucky to have that choice :)

Archived