Poms Going Home to UK (register)

Guest Aldo

Guest Guest31881

Just to remind everyone, MBTUK, is a forum designed to offer support and assistance to members returning home. If you wish to debate a TV programe then I suggest you do it on another forum and leave this thread alone for people returning to UK.

• Replies 793
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest The Ropey HOFF
Ooh juicy, they just said "1 in 3 leaving Australia" that's a third right? 33% correct?

WP.

I said on PIO its about 1%.............. most come back because they either miss family, their work has ended, a relationship has broken down, money issues etc. A small minority who do come back don't like it. Both the uk and Australia are great countries to live in and we are lucky to have that choice.

Guest guest37336

I've been researching this for some time, and whilst most of the figures are very speculative, if you read the sites concerning Poms returning to UK, (allegedly for good) the figures seem to show that the actual figure is approximately 27% return 'home' to the UK.

Of these, 7% return before a year is up, 12% after two years and the remaining 8% is made up of people returning after 5 years but less than 6.

How accurate these figures are is open to speculation, but they are sourced from not only many 'papers' on migration but also many other avenues as well.

Cheers Tony.:wink:

I've been researching this for some time, and whilst most of the figures are very speculative, if you read the sites concerning Poms returning to UK, (allegedly for good) the figures seem to show that the actual figure is approximately 27% return 'home' to the UK.

Of these, 7% return before a year is up, 12% after two years and the remaining 8% is made up of people returning after 5 years but less than 6.

How accurate these figures are is open to speculation, but they are sourced from not only many 'papers' on migration but also many other avenues as well.

Interesting, sounds about right, do you think more people are returning now than in past years?

Guest Three Dee

Thank you for this message Deb, I was starting to think it was only me that felt like this. I so desperatly want to go back to Oz and feel that I had to come back to the UK to realise that. It's good to know that others go through this.

Hi

Well i just watched ACA and the comment i would like to make and this surely does not effect only Poms, is that what they said about local councils is correct. We opened a business in NSW. Local wine area, we were made so welcome by the local wineries and other local business but the council put us through hell. No advertising outside our gate even though the wineries were allowed to do so. They wanted us to build a disabled toilet that was bigger than the little shop we had on our property. In the end we shut down the business and conceeded defeat.

We have been here many years and thanks to the family court rules of Auz we cant go home as we would have to leave our daughter and grand kids behind, but i guess for any new Australians it would be enough to say fine you dont want our business we will take it back home to the UK.

Guest guest37336
Interesting, sounds about right, do you think more people are returning now than in past years?

Hi Bovered.

In my opinion (which may count for little matey,) I think this would be the case my friend.

I have so much bumff about this subject that I can't now find the link that gave 'specific' figures, I will trawl through and have a look for you,:yes:

But it was a link from a uni affiliated with DIAC, so I would imagine the figures could be looked at with fairly reasoned eyes.

The present economic climate, both here and in Australia will ALWAYS play a part in migration levels, but as you point out I would imagine more are returning than in previous years, and of course the present downturn in house prices (which have always been ridicolous) will have an impact with reference exchange rates.

Why?

Nobody is forcing you to read the threads on the MBTTUK forum whether the post is "Jumping " out at you or not.

That's true but in this case what was 'jumping out' was an contentious opinion i.e. 'There seem be more and more Poms returning to the UK.'

If it's a fact then I have no argument with it. I'm not against negative views of Australia but I hate the thought of people who are planning to emigrate being put off by fiction.

Guest guest30038

Figures aside..................or even included..................I wonder how many would actually return irrespective of where they migrated to/from. My impression (and I put that in bold because it's based on my real life experiences of the "stereotypical whingeing pom") of whom I have tried to help many....................is that irrespective of where they may migrate to, they appear to me (and again I put that in bold to emphasise what I later learned of them) is that they would be unhappy wherever life took 'em.........they always seemed to want/expect more than what they actually put into their life...........they seemed to want it "all on a plate".

As a disclaimer: this is based on folk that I have had actual physical contact with.........folk included in social gatherings who, for whatever reason, felt that they didn't relate to those other folk at the social gathering............they still felt as though they were "English" (I'm guessing) and felt somehow, that if they embraced their new country, they would somehow be committing treason...............I dunno???????? perhaps they just weren't cut out to move from the comfortable to the uncomfortable......missing rellies aside of course.

Guest The Ropey HOFF

Theres another factor to take it account as well, most families who emigrate have usually one person as the main driving force, not everyone wants to go as much as others and in a family of four for instance, maybe one person is dead set against it, for their own personal reasons and they might never be happy, or settled and they will emit a negativity about Australia, which can seem strange to most, but it is all so real to them. We are all different.

Hi Bovered.

In my opinion (which may count for little matey,) I think this would be the case my friend.

I have so much bumff about this subject that I can't now find the link that gave 'specific' figures, I will trawl through and have a look for you,:yes:

But it was a link from a uni affiliated with DIAC, so I would imagine the figures could be looked at with fairly reasoned eyes.

The present economic climate, both here and in Australia will ALWAYS play a part in migration levels, but as you point out I would imagine more are returning than in previous years, and of course the present downturn in house prices (which have always been ridicolous) will have an impact with reference exchange rates.

Thanks Tony, don't bust yer boiler looking it up though, I just have the feeling people are more willing (or maybe able) to head back home these days, I would imagine it's probably more affordable these days too.

Regards Mark.

Thanks Tony, don't bust yer boiler looking it up though, I just have the feeling people are more willing (or maybe able) to head back home these days, I would imagine it's probably more affordable these days too.

Regards Mark.

That would be true - the dollar has never been so good against the pound. Australia did it tough for so long against the other first world currencies and it is only in the last couple of years that it has been financially viable for many to return. For many years it was a nightmare trying to have overseas holidays and the prospect of living on an Aussie superannuation if you were in UK was unthinkable. If the dollar keeps on doing what it is doing, then the UK/Europe is a very attractive proposition for retirees

Yeah must be hard to be the one person in the family not wanting to go. I've been watching " wanted down under " this week and at least one of each family didnt want to go at all, they were both teenagers. In one family there was a wife,husband and their too sons, one son couldnt make up his mind at first but then decided he'd go but the other one said he didnt want to go, he prefered Glasgow. So not sure what happened to them. Must be hard

As low as that eh? Trouble is, it seems to be a bit more when you see the posts 'jumping' out at you. That's why I'd like to see the 'going back to UK' on a separate website.

But what do I know anyway - I'm a climate change denier!

ps I remember I did some research on the 10 Pound Poms and came up with a figure - fraction - of about 1/8 returning to the UK permanently.

Sorry if this sounds argumentative... that's not my intention but I need to say you don't NEED to read the MBTTUK section. It doesn't jump out anymore than any other section of the site in my opinion. I've never used a forum to make life decisions. Why should someone else's experience put people off. It's 'Poms in Oz' and some of them are moving back for varying reasons.

Some people go over the top in their criticisms of Oz and likewise there is a lot of drivel written about the UK. Many assumptions are made about people moving back...'they failed to make a go of it', 'they couldn't handle it', 'they thinks it's too hot' blah, blah, blah. It's bl00dy annoying! Some people such as myself are considering moving back not because we are whingeing poms, have failed, can't handle it, hate Oz, but because we are very lucky and love both countries and have options.

MBTTUK is full of helpful advice re shipping, transporting pets, securing mortgages in the UK from Oz, as well as providing support to those really struggling and wanting to move back. It saddens me when threads degenerate into Oz or UK bashing or when people slate either country, but I dislike even more when people are slated for wanting to move back and are judged for their reason. Jog along to another part of the site.

Guest guest30038
Well said, not everyone reads or post on forums & besides if they was on this forum & had given up with Australia they probably wouldn't bother coming on here any more.

Actually they do. Look at the MBTTUK forum and you will see plenty of posters who are now back in the UK

Just to remind everyone, MBTUK, is a forum designed to offer support and assistance to members returning home. If you wish to debate a TV programe then I suggest you do it on another forum and leave this thread alone for people returning to UK.

Had to delete a few posts - just a reminder of what Colin has said in the quote above.

Not so long ago on PIO people who were thinking of returning home, didn't get a great reception and were reluctant to contribute because of those feelings. This section of the forum and this thread in particular, was started so those people could be supported.

As PIO has become more successful and our membership much bigger there have been an increased number of those arriving in Aus and for their own reasons have decided to return to the UK. Whilst their opinions/reasons may not fit in with our own and we may think "I'd never do that" - please respect that they are making decisions for themselves and not for the rest of PIO. We're all not always going to agree on things, but I certainly think as adults we can be respectful of others views.

Thanks

Ali

Guest davethebear

Arrived in Oz

08/02/08

Left and arrived back in the UK with a big smile..:biglaugh:

02/08/11

The most boring and unstimulating 3 and a half years of my life............never go back, no return, no,no,no,no.......

A bit like that Amy Winehouse track, 'They wanted me to return to Oz, I said, NO,NO.NO!!!!!!!!!!!!'

Arrived in Oz

08/02/08

Left and arrived back in the UK with a big smile..:biglaugh:

02/08/11

The most boring and unstimulating 3 and a half years of my life............never go back, no return, no,no,no,no.......

A bit like that Amy Winehouse track, 'They wanted me to return to Oz, I said, NO,NO.NO!!!!!!!!!!!!'

So Aus aint changed then:biglaugh:

I am of the understanding that it is approx a quarter return back to the UK and this figure has been quite consistant over the decades.

So your figures are pretty much spot on.

We should remember also that the number of Australian born leaving on a declared permenant basis has been increasing over the past decade or so.

Some 70,000+ left last year for I guess a whole number of reasons. Quite normal these days people coming and going from countries in times of mobile employment opportunities for those able to do so.

I am of the understanding that it is approx a quarter return back to the UK and this figure has been quite consistant over the decades.

So your figures are pretty much spot on.

I looked at the long term figures a while ago and there was a difference between the number of UK born leaving Oz and the number returning to the UK. IIRC there was quite a large proportion (50%?) leaving Oz for countries other than the UK but my memory might be faulty on that.

Archived