Poms Going Home to UK (register)

Guest Aldo

Arrived in Melbourne November 2007.

Came home to the UK in August 2008.............:jiggy:

Now, if anyone is selling their house in sunny Lancashire PM me - we're in the market to BUY !!!!

Ripha.

• Replies 793
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Now, if anyone is selling their house in sunny Lancashire PM me - we're in the market to BUY !!!!

Talking of which - how about all you house-sellers out there advertise your houses for sale on a new thread??

You never know, there could be a potential buyer reading these boards RIGHT NOW!!!!

Ripha.

Guest Diane Paul and the kids

Hi all,we are going back,i won't say how long we have been in Adelaide because of all the people who will say that we never gave it a chance,but for us it was long enough to find out that it probably would never have worked,not with a house standing empty back in the uk,we could'nt sell and we could'nt rent either,so we decided to get back to the uk before we were broke.

Hi all,we are going back,i won't say how long we have been in Adelaide because of all the people who will say that we never gave it a chance,but for us it was long enough to find out that it probably would never have worked,not with a house standing empty back in the uk,we could'nt sell and we could'nt rent either,so we decided to get back to the uk before we were broke.

You should not worry about other peoples opinion. Anyone who gives it a go is a winner in my book especially if you could not sell your house.

Good on ya and all the best for the future

Guest backhome

i was in the same frame of mind about what people would say,my brother(who lives in oz)dissowned us when we said we were comming home!dont worry about it,you have tried it!how many of the knockers have been outside the country?the furthest most have been is spain on a package holiday!!you do what you feel is right,thats the most important thing!goodluck.

I only gave it 7 months and for me that was long enough.

I met loads of people in Australia who'd been there for different time spans ranging from 8 years to 35 years and they said that 'if this is how you feel it won't change'. One woman (been in oz 35 years) told me I was doing the right thing leaving and that her heart has never been there and she can't leave coz her kids have lives in oz!

I'm happy to say I was in Australia for 7 months, it was an experience but the place isn't for me and I'm back home now, 24 hours in and trying to pick up where I left off, thank goodness things don't change too much.

One thing is for sure, my time in Oz has made me realise what I have in the UK and I am grateful for all of it!

Guest kevin747

If anyone is interested Nick Bryant's blog today on the BBC is interesting.It looks at the Australian work ethic.This is why I must get out of here.

What does all work and no play make Jack?

This explains to me the coldness and dullness of the majority of people in this country.

This is the first reply since joining this morning! Have found the threads re. moving back to UK really interesting - wish I'd found this site a few years ago.

I arrived in Oz in Feb 1997 and I'm still here although there have been many many times when I've hated it here and wanted to go back to UK, however, I've stuck it out through thick and thin. Went back to UK for a 6 week visit in July this year and had a fantastic time. Returned to Oz thinking about booking another trip next year - I don't have kids so it isn't too expensive.

There are certain aspects of Australia that annoy me - having to open up your bag when going through the checkout at supermarkets to make sure you're not stealing, dirty trains, the lack of character (particularly in the suburbs), some very stuck up people - or rough people - and not a lot in between I've found. I fully understand why some people want to return to the UK. Although when I get home from work this evening (after the 90 minute commute I might add!!!) I shall sit in my lovely tropical garden with a bottle of wine and listen to the cicadas and feel quite contented for now.

It's not easy moving to another country - Australia is very different to the UK - I strongly believe that if you want to give it a go then do so - you haven't failed if you decide to go back - you've just gained another life experience. I am glad I moved here but not sure if I will end my days here!!!

Guest kevin747

Good points Fantasia, Re Checking of bags etc.I find there is a general lack of reason with lots of Australians.I also have found it's pointless explaining as they"just don't get it"

• 3 weeks later...
Guest tlander56
I am presuming that I am in teh minority then. I do less hours than I did in the UK for the same money. OH earns the same but does about 8 hours a week more.

We see each other 500% more than we did in the UK as we are on compatible rosters here.

Yes...i'd say you are in the minority..

Guest JoanneHattersley
Yes...i'd say you are in the minority..

We came here Feb 2005 and things were even different then! When we came out we came out for a lifestyle change and we got it! I dont think I would have come if I hadnt been able to change the lifestyle.....I wouldnt have acheived anything so there would have been no point!

I do earn the same and do less hours. Who I work for expect some O/T if the occasion calls for it (Emergency in nursing home) but generally want us all leaving on time. OH works 10 hours a week more for teh same money so I suppose that evens itself out! I work closer to home so have no travelling really. Well, It takes me longer to walk to the car park than it does to drive home!

We have been here 4 years almost and while things have changed, my lifestyle hasnt. I have a mortgage but that is it. I have a nicer house. I dont owe anyone a red cent apart from a mortgage. If I need something I dont have to think twice anymore about whether I could afford it!

I know that I am lucky! When we moved here everything just worked! it all fell into place really without us having to try too hard! Whether it be down to luck, judgement or whatever.......it works for me!

Guest tlander56
We came here Feb 2005 and things were even different then! When we came out we came out for a lifestyle change and we got it! I dont think I would have come if I hadnt been able to change the lifestyle.....I wouldnt have acheived anything so there would have been no point!

I do earn the same and do less hours. Who I work for expect some O/T if the occasion calls for it (Emergency in nursing home) but generally want us all leaving on time. OH works 10 hours a week more for teh same money so I suppose that evens itself out! I work closer to home so have no travelling really. Well, It takes me longer to walk to the car park than it does to drive home!

We have been here 4 years almost and while things have changed, my lifestyle hasnt. I have a mortgage but that is it. I have a nicer house. I dont owe anyone a red cent apart from a mortgage. If I need something I dont have to think twice anymore about whether I could afford it!

I know that I am lucky! When we moved here everything just worked! it all fell into place really without us having to try too hard! Whether it be down to luck, judgement or whatever.......it works for me!

Yes, you are lucky....

So are you looking at reurning the the UK?...hence this section of the forum?

Yes, you are lucky....

So are you looking at reurning the the UK?...hence this section of the forum?

rude.....:emoticon-signxmas:

Guest treesea

First visit (Brisbane, Sydney) 1964

Arrived (Sydney) 1979

Left 1984

Arrived (Melbourne) 1992

Left 2004

Home town is London. Came home first to England, - very crowded, including the schools, overstretched health services, some beautiful houses (North London) with holes in the roofs (a big surprise) and the potential work commutes that we tested out had more in common with hell than "commuting". Gave it six months,... and moved to Scotland. Favourite places in England - Knaresborough, Bridlington and Crantock. Can't afford to live in any of these, lol.

Oz is a great place to live but it isn't home. My land beneath my feet, great schools, the NHS in Scotland is like having private health care in Oz, and, amazingly, heaps of sun, even in winter and the seafront/local beach is a short walk away. The local snow fall is about half an inch that doesn't even last a day, and that's IF it bothers to make the effort. Not much rain either - put it this way, if Edinburgh was relying on Edinburgh's rainfall for it's water, there would be water shortages.

Guest earlswood
First visit (Brisbane, Sydney) 1964

Arrived (Sydney) 1979

Left 1984

Arrived (Melbourne) 1992

Left 2004

Home town is London. Came home first to England, - very crowded, including the schools, overstretched health services, some beautiful houses (North London) with holes in the roofs (a big surprise) and the potential work commutes that we tested out had more in common with hell than "commuting". Gave it six months,... and moved to Scotland. Favourite places in England - Knaresborough, Bridlington and Crantock. Can't afford to live in any of these, lol.

Oz is a great place to live but it isn't home. My land beneath my feet, great schools, the NHS in Scotland is like having private health care in Oz, and, amazingly, heaps of sun, even in winter and the seafront/local beach is a short walk away. The local snow fall is about half an inch that doesn't even last a day, and that's IF it bothers to make the effort. Not much rain either - put it this way, if Edinburgh was relying on Edinburgh's rainfall for it's water, there would be water shortages.

To be fair the health service in the whole of the UK is good, went into the Alexander hospital in redditch to visit a relative last month and it is spotless and modern with fresh flowers everywher and far better than what I witnessed in oz...he said even the food was good.:nerdxmas:

Guest treesea
To be fair the health service in the whole of the UK is good, went into the Alexander hospital in redditch to visit a relative last month and it is spotless and modern with fresh flowers everywher and far better than what I witnessed in oz...he said even the food was good.:nerdxmas:

We visited someone in hospital in Cambridge a few years ago and it too looked pretty good. And in Edinburgh the local hospital looks like a five star hotel and gives service to match. But we went to the Leeds General Infirmary and it looked like it could do with a good overhaul. Plus, the staff looked exhausted and some of the people in A&E had been waiting to see someone for hours.

Guest earlswood
We visited someone in hospital in Cambridge a few years ago and it too looked pretty good. And in Edinburgh the local hospital looks like a five star hotel and gives service to match. But we went to the Leeds General Infirmary and it looked like it could do with a good overhaul. Plus, the staff looked exhausted and some of the people in A&E had been waiting to see someone for hours.

Gordon Brown has promised all hospitals will be of the same standard throughout the uk in the next few years ....sounds good.:smilexmas:

Guest guest17301

The health service in the UK is fair to poor in the acute hospital sector. The A and E in Stoke on Trent is regulalry in the news. The ex Lady Mayor was on a trolley for about 4 days recently. Bed blocking and extensive trolley waits are commonplace. Patients many elderly and frail are places on trolleys in corridors for hours on end. They also ship them onto a 'waiting area' once initial triage has taken place so that the 4 hour deadline can be met. They don't tell people that they can be on a trolley for another 24-72 hours waiting for an actual bed on a ward.

I speak as a nurse and also as a relative (accompanied my Dad following a suspected stroke last year). I had to make it known that I was a nurse and be quite assertive to get things moving (other nurses will know what I mean)

I have heard (from nurses already in Perth) that the services are just as busy out there but a lot more streamlined and organised. Depts are closed if there are not enough staff to staff them and in general nurse to patient ratios are higher. All of which should result in a better patient experience.

Guest guest17301
Gordon Brown has promised all hospitals will be of the same standard throughout the uk in the next few years ....sounds good.:smilexmas:

I'll believe it when I see it mate!

:biglaugh:

Guest itskaren
Ah Gill, there is something about the South west of UK isnt there. Devon, cornwall, somerset........Id find it hard to choose!!!!

I remember going to Somerset and Wookey Hole as a kid. Cheddar Gorge, Glastonbury Abbey......Oh Im reminiscing now!! LOL!

Ah yess! I used to live near Wookey Hole. Just lovely! We are going back to the UK for Christmas and have a dinner booked inside the caves as a Christmas treat! My in laws live in Wells and will be spending most of our time there. Can't wait!:emoticon-signxmas:

Archived