Guest oggie1

Aussie with Adopted Autistic Daughter

Guest oggie1

Hello all.

Sorry my first posting is a question:embarrassed:

I'm Rowena and was born in Aus but have lived in the UK for 30 years,I married Chris and we had 5 kids of our own all now Australian citizens by descent with Australian passports.Chris' PR visa has expired and we are currently trying to get him an RRV.

Now we adopted Alisha this year who is 3 years old and has been diagnosed as Autistic,would anybody have any idea on the likelihood of Alisha being granted or refused a Visa,people involved in Alishas life have commented that she is quite a high achieving child despite her difficulties.

Rowena.

Guest jillandsi

Hi Rowena,

Although I have no knowledge of whether Alisha would get a visa, I thought I would just mention that on britishexpats.com there is a member called Geelong Gent that has an autistic child and may be of help if you send him a private message, some of his postings are on the thread about parents pulling their children out of private schools (it is in the barbie forum, on page 2 or 3 I think).

I was just thinking though, I was under the impression that any children of an Australian citizen were automatically citizens and that it was just the official paperwork for the passport that needed sorted (as you implied on your post), so surely Alisha would be the same because even though she is not your natural child an adoption means that legally she is on the same footing as a natural child and therefore would automatically become a citizen also.

I'm sure you will get other, more informed replies but hopefully this will be O.K. for now.

Jillian

Bumping this for you - you need Gollywobbler!!!

You would think that as you have already completed the adoption there would not be a problem - I know of one Aussie family who wanted to adopt a disabled child from o/s and they ended up going to the Minister and all sorts but they got him in. Logic would say that they cant keep you out because you are an Aus citizen and your daughter is your daughter so she would have to be able to come in too but sometimes there is no logic with the bureaucrats.

Support for children with autism in Aus is variable - some say not that good either. When you do arrive, bring with you all reports and assessments, especially documentation of her diagnosis and the criteria used to make that diagnosis. Any psych assessments and adaptive behaviour checklists would also be useful (probably dont have them unless she is already in an intervention program).

I can't help you, only wish you all the best.

But can I just ask - what is an RRV?

XXX

Annette, Steve, Ben and Buddy the dog.

<>< :wubclub:

I was just thinking though, I was under the impression that any children of an Australian citizen were automatically citizens and that it was just the official paperwork for the passport that needed sorted (as you implied on your post), so surely Alisha would be the same because even though she is not your natural child an adoption means that legally she is on the same footing as a natural child and therefore would automatically become a citizen also.

I'm sure you will get other, more informed replies but hopefully this will be O.K. for now.

Jillian

Unfortunately this is not always the case. However, if you have been through the adoption process in the UK I would have thought you would be ok - was your daughter born in the UK or overseas? If she was overseas was she adopted from a country who is part of the Hague Convention? It's usually expats living in other places and doing overseas adoptions that come unstuck. You might like to join a yahoo group call "australianexpatadoption" (australianexpatadoption : Australian Expat adoption)

This may not be exactly your situation as I am assuming you adopted as a UK citizen, but in terms of getting an adoption visa to bring your daughter to Australia and then applying for citizenship, these people should have some good advice for you. Just explain your situation and someone will have the answer for you I am sure.

Good luck,

Love

Daphne

Guest jillandsi

Hi,

RRV is a Resident Return Visa, it is for when your 5 years on your visa have run out, if you have not apllied for citizenship and are therefore still a permanent resident then you need to apply for an RRV in order to go in and out of the country on hols etc until you apply for citizenship and then you can do what you like as you will have an Oz passport.

Hope this helps

Jillian

Guest oggie1

Thank you all very much for your answers(We had almost given up hope of any at all)

I'm sorry for using abbreviations(I hate them as well)Yes RRV is a Resident return visa and PR is Permanent resident visa.

We were told that Alisha,who is 3 by the way, would not automatically become a citizen by descent as she is not our Biological child.Alisha was born in the UK as was her sister who will hopefully be our legally adopted daughter in the early quarter of 2009(court processes are a pain:mad:)Thus making our family 7 kids in all:arghh:

Alisha started special school in September and has come on in leaps and bounds,so much so that her teacher, in a meeting with us today expressed to us that she may be having some doubts as to Alishas diagnosis,as we have of late.

So some good news for her, even if we get a refusal from Aus.

@Daphne thank you again I'm about to go and check out your link now

@Quoll,thank you also,We will endeavour to seek out Gollywobbler for advice.

In all honesty we had seen threads concerning kids with autism being refused,but as Row is an Aussie we felt that our circumstances were quite different.We got the impression that the it would be unfair on the taxpayer to foot the bill for any future care of a disabled child(We fully understand that viewpiont) ,particularly what would happen after we had died,but hand on heart I can honestly say our 5 "biological"Kids have said that they will collectively take full responsibility for Alisha if the need arises,it is something that has been discussed in our family for 2 years or so.

Chris(Rowena's other )

Hi,

RRV is a Resident Return Visa, it is for when your 5 years on your visa have run out, if you have not apllied for citizenship and are therefore still a permanent resident then you need to apply for an RRV in order to go in and out of the country on hols etc until you apply for citizenship and then you can do what you like as you will have an Oz passport.

Hope this helps

Jillian

Horribly off topic here. Perhaps I should have PMd you?

If a spouse has PR but doesn't manage to move over to Oz withing the 5 years (although has validated it) can he then use the RRV to extend that PR or does he have to re-apply?

Back on topic now.

Chris and Rowena, I really hope that you can get Alisha into Oz. I guess you aren't planning to move over for a while. 7 children:eek:, As mother of just one, I always feel that any more than two becomes a crowd!:shocked:

XXX

Annette, Steve, Ben and Buddy the dog.

<>< :wubclub:

Guest jillandsi

Hi buddy'smum,

It's never 100% certain, but as a general rule I don't think that they would grant it in that case unless you had an extremely excellent reason, they tend to see it that you have had 5 years to get over and if you wanted to then you would have come already. On the immigration site they talk about proving that you are commited to life in Oz i.e. job, house etc, I think the website explains it better, it is on immi.gov.au then click on visas & immigration then migrants and it's on there. Good luck.

Oggie1

Good luck to you too with your new adoption, immigration and Alisha's diagnosis and schooling. It does seem a bit unfair though that adopted children are legally on the same footing as biological children in pretty much all aspects but not this it seems, especially as you can have a biological disabled child that would automatically become an Oz citizen.

Jillian

Guest oggie1

Hiya Buddysmum and jillandsi,

(It's Chris Row's other)

Thanks for the input,we actually emigrated in 2002 with our 5 kids who were at the time aged Stacey 18,Kira 17,Christopher 14,Ashleigh 11 and Chloe 8.We lasted 4 months,our 2 eldest became really homesick and said they were coming back to the UK,Rowena understandably said she could not live on the otherside of the world from her kids.

I was at work everyday,very long hours and Row was faced with this everyday.I love the country and would be on the next flight out there if I could, I think the rest of the family have now seen the way the UK is heading and want to give things another try.

No dates have been set (if any at all,will be,come to that).

We would love to give the 2 younger girls the same options as the other 5.

Stacey our eldest now has a daughter of her own and another due in 4 weeks they live nextdoor but one to us and are here all the time,Kira is living about a mile away and is also pregnant(So this house is always full Buddysmum:yes:),they are both in relationships and would follow us out at some stage later on,IF the move were ever to get off the ground.

Chris and Row